ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 12th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #2241
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Good news, just saw it on TV: Putin got grounded by Butters' dad! And even better: Zuckerberg switched off facebook!
Aww, this discussion must be making you uncomfortable.
Old 12th October 2017, 06:27 PM   #2242
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Aww, this discussion must be making you uncomfortable.

Old 12th October 2017, 10:26 PM   #2243
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Does anybody happen to have any info on whether Russia is alone in this approach, or if there are other countries that have engaged in similar tactics with respect to our last election?
Yes, one other country did try to influence our last election by spreading fake news - us!
Old 13th October 2017, 04:28 AM   #2244
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

John Helmer gives a little (as always amusing) history lesson:

LUNATIC RUSSIA-HATING IN WASHINGTON IS 70 YEARS OLD. IT STARTED WITH JOSEPH ALSOP, GEORGE KENNAN AND THE WASHINGTON POST

Originally Posted by John Helmer
Joseph Alsop (lead image, centre) and George Kennan (right) started the kind of Russia-hating in Washington which, today, President Vladimir Putin, like the businessmen around him, think of as a novelty that cannot last for long.
Alsop was a fake news fabricator, and such a narcissist as to give the bow-ties he wore a bad name. Kennan was a psychopath who alternated bouts of aggression to prove himself with bouts of depression over his cowardice. For them, Russia was a suitable target. The Washington Post was the newspaper which gave their lunacy public asylum. This, according to a fresh history by a university professor from California, started in 1947, long before the arrival in Washington of the anti-communist phobia known after the name of Senator Joseph McCarthy.
Russia-hating was an American upper-class phenomenon, cultivated in the offices, cocktail parties, clubs, and mansions of the deep state, as it emerged out of World War II. It needed a new enemy to thrive; it fastened on Russia (aka the Soviet Union) as the enemy.
McCarthyism was an American lower-class phenomenon. It focused on the loyalty or disloyalty of the upper-class deep-staters. That wasn’t the same thing as Russia-hating; Wall Street bankers, Boston lawyers, homosexuals, Jews, communists, were all the enemy. As the Senator from Wisconsin characterized it himself in 1952, “McCarthyism is Americanism with its sleeves rolled.” He implied – without a middle-class tie; certainly not an upper-class bow-tie.
Russia was not an enemy which united the two American lunacies, for they hated each other much more than they hated the Russians. The Soviet Politburo understood this better then than the Kremlin does now. [...]
Old 13th October 2017, 04:29 AM   #2245
Argumemnon
World Maker

I think the Bolsheviks had something to do with it, too.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 09:34 PM   #2246
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Pikachu!

Old 14th October 2017, 09:24 AM   #2247
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Are you provided with lists and files of images to promote your talking points? Or do you just grab whatever you find off of Sputnik news?
Old 14th October 2017, 09:50 AM   #2248
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Are you provided with lists and files of images to promote your talking points? Or do you just grab whatever you find off of Sputnik news?

You think I'll give you tips to improve your abysmal performance?
Old 14th October 2017, 12:46 PM   #2249
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

You think I'll give you tips to improve your abysmal performance?
I'm sure the resources you have at work are considered confidential.
Old 14th October 2017, 12:49 PM   #2250
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I'm sure the resources you have at work are considered confidential.

But you had to ask anyway?
Old 14th October 2017, 01:04 PM   #2251
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

But you had to ask anyway?
Sometimes people respond to an invitation even when they have reason not to.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:13 PM   #2252
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Sometimes people respond to an invitation even when they have reason not to.

No, I'm not getting you an interview.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:19 PM   #2253
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

If you have a presentable car a few extra bucks could be in, though:

Old 14th October 2017, 04:02 PM   #2254
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

If you have a presentable car a few extra bucks could be in, though:

https://i.imgur.com/KarfScg.jpg

Humor is a great deflection. People who are funny never do bad things.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 04:24 PM   #2255
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Humor is a great deflection. People who are funny never do bad things.

No idea what you're babbling about, but this campaign sure has been one of the most effective in modern advertisement history (If you want I ask Putin to fax me the numbers). And that is because people understand intuitively, contrary to what a bunch of third class shillaries and propaganda victims are telling us, how bizarre these trumped-up accusations the campaign is mocking are, even if they were based in truth. And share the content for free.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 14th October 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 05:34 PM   #2256
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

No idea what you're babbling about, but this campaign sure has been one of the most effective in modern advertisement history (If you want I ask Putin to fax me the numbers). And that is because people understand intuitively, contrary to what a bunch of third class shillaries and propaganda victims are telling us, how bizarre these trumped-up accusations the campaign is mocking are, even if they were based in truth. And share the content for free.
Yeah, "even if they were based in truth." Obviously, Putin and the oligarchs just wanted to help Make America Great Again. huh. Totally bizarre to suggest that the DJT campaign would jump on that and try to keep it secret, even if it's a documented fact that they did.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:20 PM   #2257
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Yeah, "even if they were based in truth." Obviously, Putin and the oligarchs just wanted to help Make America Great Again. huh. Totally bizarre to suggest that the DJT campaign would jump on that and try to keep it secret, even if it's a documented fact that they did.

May I remind you that you are now down to "Russia-based" small bucks ad campaigns on facebook with no connection to the leader of the free world at all with your little unamerican regime change campaign? And everybody is laughing at the lunacy? Sorry, but I'll do it anyway.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:21 PM   #2258
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

May I remind you that you are now down to "Russia-based" small bucks ad campaigns on facebook with no connection to the leader of the free world at all with your little unamerican regime change campaign? And everybody is laughing at the lunacy? Sorry, but I'll do it anyway.
Everybody? May I remind you who is "laughing at the lunacy" and who isn't? Was The Donald "laughing at the lunacy" when he fired Comey for investigating Flynn? Was Putin "laughing at the lunacy" when he had Oleg Erovinkin murdered for his part in the Steele dossier? Nope, it's just the fascist fanboys who are "laughing at the lunacy."
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 07:35 PM   #2259
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

The other stuff is still there even if it is still fallen off the radar. Jeff sessions still had meetings with the Russian ambassador he lied about.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 07:37 PM   #2260
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Everybody? May I remind you who is "laughing at the lunacy" and who isn't? Was The Donald "laughing at the lunacy" when he fired Comey for investigating Flynn? Was Putin "laughing at the lunacy" when he had Oleg Erovinkin murdered for his part in the Steele dossier? Nope, it's just the fascist fanboys who are "laughing at the lunacy."

So, let's see. That's everybody but Trump and Putin, including the fascist fanboys. Not sure if that changes much, William Seger. Or why I should even disagree with it. Or why you even try this transparent nonsense. Oh, strike the latter.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:41 PM   #2261
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The other stuff is still there even if it is still fallen off the radar. Jeff sessions still had meetings with the Russian ambassador he lied about.

There's a lot of stuff in the Washington Pest archive, much of it meaningless and some outright dangerous leading morons to support war.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:47 PM   #2262
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

There's a lot of stuff in the Washington Pest archive, much of it meaningless and some outright dangerous leading morons to support war.
I don't believe there is news that is too dangerous to print.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 08:09 PM   #2263
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I don't believe there is news that is too dangerous to print.

I won't ask you to define news.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:13 PM   #2264
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I won't ask you to define news.
I won't define news. I have made it clear that I am extremely tolerant of many versions of news.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:20 PM   #2265
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

So, let's see. That's everybody but Trump and Putin, including the fascist fanboys. Not sure if that changes much, William Seger. Or why I should even disagree with it. Or why you even try this transparent nonsense. Oh, strike the latter.
Well, here's some transparent reality: Putin and his gangsters supported Trump, and it's for damn sure it wasn't because they wanted to Make America Great Again. And I remind you that we know considerably more about what happened than "small bucks ad campaigns on facebook." In addition to the hacking, we now know about many (but probably not all) of the Trump campaign's extensive Russian connections which they really, really wanted to keep secret, including the meeting where the campaign showed eagerness to collude with Russians to smear Clinton. And we're starting to learn about business deals that smell like money laundering.

But keep laughing.
Old 14th October 2017, 08:59 PM   #2266
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

But keep laughing.
It's just a front. She ain't really laughing, it's that when all the facts go the other way, silly memes and cartoons are all that's left.
Old 14th October 2017, 10:29 PM   #2267
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

OMG, Newt Gringrich is on his book tour claiming Mueller's investigation is akin to the Salem witch trials. He is recommending his audience read The Crucible.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:39 PM   #2268
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

]

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
OMG, Newt Gringrich is on his book tour claiming Mueller's investigation is akin to the Salem witch trials. He is recommending his audience read The Crucible.
As far as I am concerned, this is a strong indicator that Gingrich was aware of the Russian influence before the Primary and didn't mind.
He probably thinks that if the USS Trump sinks, it will take him down, too.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:09 PM   #2269
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

But keep laughing.

I will.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:28 PM   #2270
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

That's true, if you mean the parts where they quote Trump's Twitter feed.

But for your edification, there's a jaw-dropping archive on Bill Moyer's site:
Interactive Timeline: Everything We Know About Russia and President Trump
Old 14th October 2017, 11:51 PM   #2271
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

That's true, if you mean the parts where they quote Trump's Twitter feed.

But for your edification, there's a jaw-dropping archive on Bill Moyer's site:
Interactive Timeline: Everything We Know About Russia and President Trump

I like that it says "saga" at the top. Didn't scroll further than 2006 "Trump children visit Moscow".

LOL.
Old 15th October 2017, 01:58 AM   #2272
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

The British prime minister Attlee was once asked what the difference between Democrats and Republicans in America was and he replied jobs, which doesn't say much for opposition in America, or a strategy with regard to Iraq and Russia which obviously benefited Iran.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 04:43 AM   #2273
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A short guide to Russia's election influence on social media:
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...nd_google.html
And here are some more:

Here's what fake Russian Facebook posts during the election looked like
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 04:57 AM   #2274
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

I like that it says "saga" at the top. Didn't scroll further than 2006 "Trump children visit Moscow".

LOL.
Yes, "Trump children visit Moscow" looking for Trump Tower business partners is part of the story because one theory (not entirely convincing, IMO) is that Trump's love for Putin is strictly about business deals. LOL.
Old 15th October 2017, 05:16 AM   #2275
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

It's all going to come out. And when it does, yes. It will be you and your kind that we point to and laugh at.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:30 AM   #2276
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

How many "bucks" does a psy-ops campaign need to be effective? It's placement and content that matter. Tapping human emotions will be your multiplier.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:37 AM   #2277
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
It's all going to come out. And when it does, yes. It will be you and your kind that we point to and laugh at.
Until there is sufficient evidence (it all coming out), then it appropriate skepticism to not accept that until then. Just because you jump the gun in belief and are eventually right, doesn't me you are right to make that leap.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:54 AM   #2278
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Until there is sufficient evidence (it all coming out), then it appropriate skepticism to not accept that until then. Just because you jump the gun in belief and are eventually right, doesn't me you are right to make that leap.

It's just repetition. Looky:

Originally Posted by NoahFence, October 31 2016 View Post
You need to pace yourself. 8 years of her actually being president may result in a heart attack. I suggest aspirin.
Originally Posted by NoahFence, November 10, 2016 View Post
LOL @ "Blame"

What if - and i know this is odd - I'm not "blaming" anyone?

Donald Trump won fair and square - elected because there are more idiots in this country that was previously thought.

Enthusiastic repetition of common wisdom, a moment of clarity when no narrative was formed yet, back to eager repetition of common wisdom (i.e. propaganda). Ooooh, it will come out! Is Hillary done yet?

Old 16th October 2017, 12:07 PM   #2279
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I was slightly amused yesterday, as I was reading through some of the old birther threads. Why? Because I was reminded of one of the theories they had about Obama, namely that he was a Russian plant, brought in to bring about the destruction of US democracy and society...

I can easily imagine a good lot of them being ardent Trump supporters, busy shooting down any mention of Russian interference.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics