ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #1921
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,198
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have been wondering -- is there one authority who could relieve him of his duties in the case of obvious incompetence? Like McCoy on Star Trek relieving the Captain of his command on his medical say-so.

Is there something that's a lot quicker than the impeachment process?
A heart attack?
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #1922
Steve
Master Poster
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,600
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
A heart attack?
I expect that could be arranged, if deemed necessary.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #1923
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
We have different definitions of integrity. Breaking the law is not integrity.
Breaking the technicalities of the law to expose and bring to justice literal traitors is the height of patriotism. There was a time in the US when such whistle-blowers were honored.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #1924
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have been wondering -- is there one authority who could relieve him of his duties in the case of obvious incompetence? Like McCoy on Star Trek relieving the Captain of his command on his medical say-so.

Is there something that's a lot quicker than the impeachment process?
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Nothing legal, but they put such safeguards in place informally when Nixon started going off the rails towards the end of his reign. Troops were told to ignore any orders that didn't go through the SecDef and JCS.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #1925
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,261
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Nothing legal, but they put such safeguards in place informally when Nixon started going off the rails towards the end of his reign. Troops were told to ignore any orders that didn't go through the SecDef and JCS.
There aren't safeguards. There may be people willing to violate the law for what they perceive to be the greater good (and may indeed be right) but there's certainly nothing official allowing power to be removed from whomever/whatever may occupy the office of the President outside of impeachment or invocation of the 25th amendment.
__________________
Never let anyone forget that the American people elected a rapist to be their president. President Rapist is the only name that should be used when referring to this evil narcissist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #1926
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
There aren't safeguards. There may be people willing to violate the law for what they perceive to be the greater good (and may indeed be right) but there's certainly nothing official allowing power to be removed from whomever/whatever may occupy the office of the President outside of impeachment or invocation of the 25th amendment.
Please re-read what I wrote. I said they were extra legal. That doesn't make them any less of a safeguard.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #1927
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,261
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Please re-read what I wrote. I said they were extra legal. That doesn't make them any less of a safeguard.
Yeah, actually, it does. If adhering to an extralegal "safeguard" stands a good chance of someone losing their livelihood, pension, and freedom, they're extremely unlikely to do so.
__________________
Never let anyone forget that the American people elected a rapist to be their president. President Rapist is the only name that should be used when referring to this evil narcissist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #1928
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,279
The Trump campaign likely didn't save documents key the to Russia investigation.

Quote:
Trump’s campaign, said a former senior aide, didn’t do much in the way of establishing a backup plan to preserve those digital records. “You’d be giving us too much credit,” said the former staffer. “The idea of document retention did not come up. The idea of some formal structure did not come up.”

The White House declined to comment when asked what staff have been told about preserving documents related to the ongoing investigations. In March, The Associated Press reported that White House counsel Don McGahn instructed White House staff in late February to save all materials that could potentially be relevant for investigations into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. The AP report noted that the memo also applied to materials belonging to White House staffers who worked on the campaign.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #1929
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Yeah, actually, it does. If adhering to an extralegal "safeguard" stands a good chance of someone losing their livelihood, pension, and freedom, they're extremely unlikely to do so.
And yet they did put those measures in place. They put their careers and possibly lives on the line to act as a safeguard against Nixon attempting a military coup or using nuclear weapons.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #1930
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,031
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Deleting everything worked well for the Bush emai/judges-scandal; why shouldn't it work for Trump?
__________________
"at this point, Trump is waist-deep in dead canaries"
- John Oliver
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #1931
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,261
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
And yet they did put those measures in place. They put their careers and possibly lives on the line to act as a safeguard against Nixon attempting a military coup or using nuclear weapons.
No, illegal orders were issued that never had to be followed. It's feel-good nonsense to believe in those kind of "safeguards" or, IMHO, even to use that word in this context.
__________________
Never let anyone forget that the American people elected a rapist to be their president. President Rapist is the only name that should be used when referring to this evil narcissist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #1932
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,261
Another thing to consider in this regard is that Nixon and Reagan had well-respected people working for them, people whose orders might actually be followed in a crisis. Anyone in the current administration who might have been respected at some point by someone is losing their credibility every week defending the indefensible. All that's left is the system.
__________________
Never let anyone forget that the American people elected a rapist to be their president. President Rapist is the only name that should be used when referring to this evil narcissist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #1933
willim
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nogales Norte
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
"Deep State" = professionals within IC, FBI, other gov't agencies who put the nation first and do their jobs with integrity regardless of the risks or which side they have to take on.

Labeling a group of people whom you do not know, and then inferring that they are somehow your ally, is bad business my friend.

There are many "professionals" who have a fact-based view of the current administration which is for the most part negative, but those same people have an even lower opinion of the activities of people such as yourself.

By habitually propagating what are for the most part ******** headline grabbers about the current administration, you risk totally missing the real issues, and can end up misdirecting people away from the facts.

There are enough REAL problems with this current administration. One does not need to make things up, or put forth that which is either outright false and easily proven to be so, or factual but totally irrelevant.

Last edited by willim; Today at 02:08 PM.
willim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:46 PM   #1934
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,198
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Deleting everything worked well for the Bush emai/judges-scandal; why shouldn't it work for Trump?
But... her e-mail!
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #1935
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 13,479
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
This is why a concerted effort to troll him is needed. He was to get to a point where he wants Pence to succeed in a bid to remove him. The presidency has to become a living hell for him. Unless Dems win really big in 2018, the Republicans in the house will continue to betray their country in favor of their president.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #1936
Molinaro
Illuminator
 
Molinaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,932
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
We have different definitions of integrity. Breaking the law is not integrity.
And did you express equal outrage over Wikileaks revealing the contents of stolen emails?
__________________
100% Cannuck!
Molinaro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:17 PM   #1937
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by willim View Post
Labeling a group of people whom you do not know, and then inferring that they are somehow your ally, is bad business my friend.

There are many "professionals" who have a fact-based view of the current administration which is for the most part negative, but those same people have an even lower opinion of the activities of people such as yourself.

By habitually propagating what are for the most part ******** headline grabbers about the current administration, you risk totally missing the real issues, and can end up misdirecting people away from the facts.

There are enough REAL problems with this current administration. One does not need to make things up, or put forth that which is either outright false and easily proven to be so, or factual but totally irrelevant.
Good thing I'm not doing any of that then. And I'm far from the only person to make the observation about the so-called "deep state".
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:28 PM   #1938
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,156
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
But... her e-mail!
30,000, to be precise!
__________________
"God is not a magician" - Pope Francis

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #1939
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is why a concerted effort to troll him is needed. He was to get to a point where he wants Pence to succeed in a bid to remove him. The presidency has to become a living hell for him. Unless Dems win really big in 2018, the Republicans in the house will continue to betray their country in favor of their president.
It would be easier to remove him by impeachment than the 25th amendment.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #1940
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
30,000, to be precise!
How much did you care when Bush the Lesser lost 22 million emails?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:22 PM   #1941
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,261
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It would be easier to remove him by impeachment than the 25th amendment.
Wrong. It's impossible to remove a President via the 25th amendment. The 25th amendment doesn't replace impeachment, nor is it a substitute when impeachment would be inconvenient. The 25th allows the transfer of presidential powers to an acting President but the actual office remains held by the elected person (or scumbag) until the President resigns or is impeached and found guilty by the Senate.
__________________
Never let anyone forget that the American people elected a rapist to be their president. President Rapist is the only name that should be used when referring to this evil narcissist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #1942
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,473
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
How much did you care when Bush the Lesser lost 22 million emails?
Or when Bush and Cheney used the GOP email server to hide the fact they were illegally using the DoJ to influence election outcomes?

Amazing isn't it?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:29 PM   #1943
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,156
They did it too, therefore...

You'd think they would have a logical fallacy that covered that!
__________________
"God is not a magician" - Pope Francis

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #1944
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,279
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
They did it too, therefore...

You'd think they would have a logical fallacy that covered that!
I'm not saying your claim is false. I'm sorry this hand-wave doesn't absolve your hypocrisy. Stop using logical fallacies like a drunk uses a light pole.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.