ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 11:45 AM   #41
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Giulliani has resigned from his law firm, who have subsequently released a statement disputing some of his comments about the payment to Stormy Daniels
Old 10th May 2018, 12:00 PM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
From wikipedia (I'll assume you accept this as a neutral source).
Given that Wikepedia says whatever the last person to edit the article says,I would say it is very unreliable as a source.

And you reallhy can't see why Israel is so scared when a regime that has, time and time again, sworn to destroy it ,tries to become a Nuclear Power?
I don't like Bibi at all, but I think Israel has every right to be concerned.
But then I suspect that Israel has no rights in your books,period.
I also love this whole routine about why Shiite religious wackjobs are better then Sunni religious wackjobs.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th May 2018 at 12:04 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:13 PM   #43
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Maybe if Trump and GOP start behaving in a traditional way instead of seeming like they are intent on turning the US into a Authoritarian One Party State the Dems would start behabing more normally.
Your blindness to why Dear Leader is scaring the hell out of us with his Authoritarian ideas, and the way the GOP is n lock step with him is truly astonighing, and leads one to believe that a dictatorship where only White Males have a meaningful role is what you really want.
And you ignore the way some conservative, like George Will and Jennifer Rubin, have turned on Trump.
And the way you don't even want to discuss the corruption in the Trump Presidency, or his racism, or the way he is didviding this country on racial lines, is also remarkable.
And I don't EVER want to hear your side call a Democrat "morally unfit" for political office again. You have totally thrown that out the window
As for the pool, it generic ballot goes up and down like a ping pong ball. Most political anylists are still predicting a bad year for the GOP.
You sure got a lot out of a simple post about "The Resistance", which started before Trump had found his parking place in D.C. as I recall. In any case, George Will, Bill Kristol, and the rest of the Never-Trumpers don't speak for us Deplorables. They easily match the popularity of those two nitwits who are on MSNBC every morning. That ping pong ball has been going straight down for the Dems since February. I never called any Dem "morally unfit". Trump's "racism" and "corruption" are figments of your imagination. Anyway, wasn't the Dems' plan to stop calling us racists, xenophobes, homophobes, etc.? (Not because you don't actually believe it, but because it didn't work, just like it didn't work in Europe with Brexit.)
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:19 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, the corruptin of the Trump admnstration is a figment of my imagination when I see headlines about a Trump official in hot water for improproties every day?
And someone who calls neo Nazis "good People" is not a racist, or is not using racism as a political tool?
And when you Trump supporters stop acting like bigots, I will stop calling you bigots.
And you just proved my point about your blind faith in Dear Leader.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:19 PM   #45
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
You sure got a lot out of a simple post about "The Resistance", which started before Trump had found his parking place in D.C. as I recall. In any case, George Will, Bill Kristol, and the rest of the Never-Trumpers don't speak for us Deplorables. They easily match the popularity of those two nitwits who are on MSNBC every morning. That ping pong ball has been going straight down for the Dems since February. I never called any Dem "morally unfit". Trump's "racism" and "corruption" are figments of your imagination. Anyway, wasn't the Dems' plan to stop calling us racists, xenophobes, homophobes, etc.? (Not because you don't actually believe it, but because it didn't work, just like it didn't work in Europe with Brexit.)
You are 100% in error.

Good job?
Old 10th May 2018, 12:22 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
You are 100% in error.

Good job?
Don't you know every story unfavorable to Trump is "fake news!".
That is the response I am sure we will get to all the stories about a Trump official being in hot water for wants amount to Bribery from people wanting favors from them.
But I now firmly believe the real reason the die hard Trump Supporters support Trump is because they thinks he will turn the clock back to when White Males held a monopoly on power and influence in the US. I note that sooner or later every die hard Trump Supporters begins ranting about "Third World Peoples infesting the United States"....
And their failure to ever admit that Trump is capable of error is also telling.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th May 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:30 PM   #47
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I disagree. I think the religious fantacism in the Iranian Government is greater then you want to believe.
Than I "want to believe"? Look, Iranian history is a big interest of mine. The modern state was FOUNDED (in the 16th century) on Twelver Shi'ite radicalism. I'm well aware of the deep roots that has.

Contrary to fanatical actions dressed up in moderate rhetoric, I see a lot of ruthless pragmatism dressed up in religious language. Khamene'i was not chosen as Khomeini's heir for his religious credentials (which were not that impressive) but for his skill as a militant revolutionary. Why was that? Because Khomeini had a falling out with the religious establishment, where he was never very popular to begin with, and promptly had a part of the constitution he himself had drafted rewritten. Yet that establishment remains an important power base as it always was.

Not to erase the importance of Islam, but the ideology of Wilayat-e Faqih should be understood as political radicalism dressed up in religious terms, not the other way around.

You make the mistake of identifying Khamenei's and Khomeini's radicalism with the views of the clergy in general. In fact, there was and is an entire range of opinions there.

Iran currently supports Hezbollah for the same reason the USA suppirted the Mujahideen in the 80's, mutatis mutandis - geopolitics. Maybe Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter were Islamic fanatics too?

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 10th May 2018 at 12:36 PM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:31 PM   #48
Planigale
Master Poster

Given that Wikepedia says whatever the last person to edit the article says,I would say it is very unreliable as a source.

And you reallhy can't see why Israel is so scared when a regime that has, time and time again, sworn to destroy it ,tries to become a Nuclear Power?
I don't like Bibi at all, but I think Israel has every right to be concerned.
But then I suspect that Israel has no rights in your books,period.
I also love this whole routine about why Shiite religious wackjobs are better then Sunni religious wackjobs.
Israel is a political entity, there is a difference between wanting to destroy Israel and threatening to kill Israelis.

Because Trump says bad things is not a justification to kill US citizens. Because an Iranian politician shoots his mouth off this does not make it reasonable to kill Iranians who are committing no crime. Most Israelis under 40 are reserve members of the IDF, this does not make them legitimate targets.

An unarmed Palestinian who slaps an Israeli soldier is a terrorist, an unarmed Palestinian who approaches one of the fences is a terrorist. But planting car bombs in the middle of a city is not. Double standards?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:32 PM   #49
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

At a reception for Military Wives, Trump claims that the pay rise he gave them is the first for ten years!

Why does he keep telling blatant whoppers like that?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:33 PM   #50
logger
Banned

God, the corruptin of the Trump admnstration is a figment of my imagination when I see headlines about a Trump official in hot water for improproties every day?
And someone who calls neo Nazis "good People" is not a racist, or is not using racism as a political tool?
And when you Trump supporters stop acting like bigots, I will stop calling you bigots.
And you just proved my point about your blind faith in Dear Leader.
I suppose you missed the quote of Joe Biden saying how code breaking decades ago wasn’t that hard. His proof was the government hired a bunch of ladies from the hood. Go ahead and look it up if you haven’t heard.

It’s another one of those stupid things people get caught saying without thinking. Trump has made the same mistakes. Your side continuing to use as proof of him being a racist just gets more people inclined to vote against your extreme beliefs.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:35 PM   #51
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

That's fake news right there! Trump never called neo-Nazis "good people".

He called them "very fine people".

See how the left wing is always getting things wrong?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:36 PM   #52
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
At a reception for Military Wives, Trump claims that the pay rise he gave them is the first for ten years!

Because his supporters eat it up. And he really doesn't care enough to learn and remember details, when he can get by with self aggrandizement.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:37 PM   #53
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

ANother example of "I am so not apologizing for Iran" rhetoric.
Gulf money backing Sunni fundamentalism hasn't destablisied the Middle East rhetorically but very palpably in recent times. Iran may not be the "good guy" but it's a better guy than the bad one.
Quote:
And as for Hamas not being a Terrorist group:
It's a political movement with some history of terrorism, rather like Sinn Fein really, and indeed Likud.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:39 PM   #54
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Because his supporters eat it up. And he really doesn't care enough to learn and remember details, when he can get by with self aggrandizement.
Reality is most normal people don’t pay attention to it because every politician does it. Trumps problem is every dem and leftist have this derangement syndrome going on.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:41 PM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Gulf money backing Sunni fundamentalism hasn't destablisied the Middle East rhetorically but very palpably in recent times. Iran may not be the "good guy" but it's a better guy than the bad one.
It's a political movement with some history of terrorism, rather like Sinn Fein really, and indeed Likud.
Or the ANC, and yet people seemed to like people who found the right kind of terrorist group like Nelson Mandela.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:42 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

let's take the Arab/Iranian/Israeli debate to another thread?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:46 PM   #57
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

let's take the Arab/Iranian/Israeli debate to another thread?
Sure, we can continue here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=328472
Old 10th May 2018, 01:17 PM   #58
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
This post reconfirms something for me: that many people voted for Trump for no other reason than to give the middle finger to liberals.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:27 PM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
This post reconfirms something for me: that many people voted for Trump for no other reason than to give the middle finger to liberals.
And probably without really knowing why they hate "Libs" so much.
I don't think it's the classic differences between Liberals and Consravatives over things like fiscal policy, the size or role of government, etc, about which intelligent people can disagree and not hate the other guy;it more pure tribalism.
The guys attack on George Will is indicative: It's all about mindless hatred of your opponent and blind worship of Dear Leader. That Trump is flying in the face of classic Republican Conservatism in matters like free trade goes right by them.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th May 2018, 04:05 PM   #60
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think the term "Shyster" might apply.
This is probably the tip of the iceberg. I suspect you'll see more payments and more shell companies with money flowing to the Trump organization.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:58 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is probably the tip of the iceberg. I suspect you'll see more payments and more shell companies with money flowing to the Trump organization.
But I was just told that all suggestions of corruption in the Trump Administration are "fake news"....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th May 2018, 05:00 PM   #62
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I suppose you missed the quote of Joe Biden saying how code breaking decades ago wasn’t that hard. His proof was the government hired a bunch of ladies from the hood. Go ahead and look it up if you haven’t heard.

It’s another one of those stupid things people get caught saying without thinking. Trump has made the same mistakes. Your side continuing to use as proof of him being a racist just gets more people inclined to vote against your extreme beliefs.
Here's the article

Biden said this latest thing a couple of days ago. He said something else in 2014. And he said something else in 2007. So that's three things in 11 years.

Is that exactly the same as Trump?
Old 10th May 2018, 05:04 PM   #63
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Here's the article

Biden said this latest thing a couple of days ago. He said something else in 2014. And he said something else in 2007. So that's three things in 11 years.

Is that exactly the same as Trump?
Yeah Biden is clearly a racist, thanks for inventing the standard.
Old 10th May 2018, 05:13 PM   #64
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

But I was just told that all suggestions of corruption in the Trump Administration are "fake news"....
I process the words "fake news" from Trump as a confession of guilt.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 06:08 PM   #65
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yep. The "all lawyers do it" didn't go over very well.
Old 10th May 2018, 06:14 PM   #66
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

He told huge lies today in a rally. He claimed a planned replacement of the aging wall between Mexico and San Diego was actually his building the wall. Then he went through a bunch of antics that he almost stopped the building because that would be an advantage to him, all those San Diego folk would be up in arms and would rally for Trump. But because Trump cares about the people he didn't do it.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:27 PM   #67
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
The Trump media tweet:

Quote:
The Fake News is working overtime. Just reported that, despite the tremendous success we are having with the economy & all things else, 91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake). Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?
Negative == Fake, just like we all already knew.
Imagine where Dump would be if Obama had not left him with a vibrant economy. I just hope when the bust comes (as it surely will) Dump is still in office.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 10:40 PM   #68
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
From wikipedia (I'll assume you accept this as a neutral source).
You forgot to include a link.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 10:47 PM   #69
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yep. It's not collusion that will be Dump's downfall, it will be his financial crimes.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:35 PM   #70
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You forgot to include a link.
No I thought you could find it for yourself. I provided the quote.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 11:45 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Yep. It's not collusion that will be Dump's downfall, it will be his financial crimes.
The two are surely related.
Old 11th May 2018, 12:10 AM   #72
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump will lay out on Friday a broad strategy to reduce prescription drug prices, but in a break from one of his most popular campaign promises, he will not call for Medicare to negotiate lower prices with drug manufacturers, senior administration officials said.

On Tuesday, Mr. Trump rebuffed his European allies by withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal. Threatened tariffs on steel and aluminum have strained relations with other developed nations. And now the administration is suggesting policies that could hit the pocketbooks of some of America’s strongest allies.

“We’re going to be ending global freeloading,” Mr. Trump declared at a meeting with drug company executives in his first month in office. Foreign price controls, he said, reduce the resources that American drug companies have to finance research and develop new cures.

The White House Council of Economic Advisers fleshed out the idea three months ago in*a report*that deplored the “underpricing of drugs in foreign countries.”
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/0...ug-prices.html

As usual, the cause of all problems is that other countries "exploit America". We steal their jobs, their livelihoods and we make their medicine more expensive. America really is the victim in all things.

Pathetic.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 01:00 AM   #73
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Yeah Biden is clearly a racist, thanks for inventing the standard.
I'm not Joe Biden.
Old 11th May 2018, 01:04 AM   #74
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, numerous studies have shown Wikipedia to be a mostly accurate source of information, particularly for matters of fact rather than hearsay. If your worry is truly that of recent edits, then you can check easily by going to the edit history and seeing who edited what, when, and for what reason. Almost all major edits will have an entry on the relevant discussion page, too.
Old 11th May 2018, 02:10 AM   #75
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Aide mocks McCain's brain cancer - White House doesn't deny the comment was made, but does't apologise
Old 11th May 2018, 02:17 AM   #76
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump is saying the rest of world respects America more now.
You know... it's really not surprising that Trump is as paranoid about people, and about people liking him, as he is. His entire modus operandi of denigrating or getting rid of anyone who says a bad thing about him creates a situation where people will say one thing to his face to get what they want, while having the most choice words for him when he turns away. I suspect he must realise it at some level, but rationalises it in some way. Still, that nagging feeling never goes away.

I have very little doubt that most world leaders just suppress their amusement while Trump does the equivalent of flapping his arms and eating the crayons, knowing that however annoying and incompetent the administration is, it's only temporary.

When Trump is finally out of the playpen, it will be open season on him and that's gonna chafe like crazy. Watching while what he likes to believe are his personal achievements are being dismantled in much the same way as he's gone about his vindictive presidency, will make his blood boil and we can look forward to hearing his twitter tantrums for a while after he goes. He's certainly not going to display the decorum that past US leaders have post-presidency. Shame.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 11th May 2018 at 02:40 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 02:21 AM   #77
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Bolton pushing to eliminate top Cybersecurity job
Old 11th May 2018, 04:11 AM   #78
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Probably silly to keep pointing out such made up stuff, but yesterday, Trump said, “"We just approved $700 billion for our military," Trump said. "So we’re going to be having the best equipment ever known. And next year, $716 billion. So I wanted to let you know. And, by the way — I know you don’t care about this — but that also includes raises for our military. First time in 10 years."

Simply not true. At all. Not even close.

Earned a “Pants on Fire” by Politifact:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...pay-raise-10-/

He just continues to make things up, with an almost pathological disregard for reality, nor any concern about getting found out.

But like I said, nothing new.
Old 11th May 2018, 04:27 AM   #79
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

From an article in Politico about Alan Dershowitz:

On our way out, my wife and I were handed free copies of Dershowitz’s newest book, “Trumped Up: How Criminalization of Political Differences Endangers Democracy,” in which Dershowitz writes that special prosecutor Robert Mueller is subjecting Trump to “the legal equivalent of a colonoscopy.”

To run with the metaphor, why does one submit oneself to a colonoscopy? To verify there’s no cancer lurking within.

Making it an apt metaphor, but not in the way Dershowitz meant it.
Old 11th May 2018, 05:47 AM   #80
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see any mocking there. It is a true statement. His opposition to haspell is less of an issue because he is dying.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics