ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags protest incidents , protest issues , sports incidents

Old 24th May 2018, 08:08 PM   #121
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post

We should just vote on it because sadly it would pass by a large margin with agreement on both sides. (Ironically splitting up being one of the only things both sides would agree on...) The red states would love to be their own country, and the blue states would be happy to be rid of them.
Totally agree, I certainly donít want to be ruled by leftists. As far as the NFL, itís a business decision.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 08:39 PM   #122
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
I wonder what's changed since this was taken...
Hopefully, the vocabulary skills of the protestors, at the least.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 09:04 PM   #123
This is The End

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
How are you counting conservatives?

I hope you are joking because it is pretty damn easy.
Old 24th May 2018, 09:12 PM   #124
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Totally agree, I certainly donít want to be ruled by leftists. As far as the NFL, itís a business decision.
If it were a business decision, the owners would not be putting in their political speech at the start of the game.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2018, 09:20 PM   #125
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
I hope you are joking because it is pretty damn easy.
Which posters are you counting?

And, of course, my other point was that conservatives on this site are not representative of conservatives in the wild. But, go ahead. There are some posters in this thread that I think are conservative, some I think are liberal and many which just haven't made a clear impression on me.

For instance, Crossbow is arguing in favor of the NFL's right to restrict protests, if I read him correctly. He's never struck me as a conservative before, nor a liberal. I don't have any particular memory of his political stance aside from this thread (sorry, Crossbow!). And, of course, his stance on this issue doesn't make him conservative or liberal, since different folk can have different reactions. (I agree, for instance, that the NFL has every right to make this decision, but I tend to think it is a poor decision.)

So, go ahead. Tell me which posters are conservative and how you tell. (I'll grant that the ones who visibly support Trump are nominally conservative, as the term is sadly used these days.)
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:28 AM   #126
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If it were a business decision, the owners would not be putting in their political speech at the start of the game.
Well, sir, I celebrate this clear statement and my agreement with it. Nice to see that happening for once.

In reaction to the many statements around the web to the effect that one owes respect to the flag to honor those who die for it, this:

In other words, fellas, you are saying the flag is a symbol of you, and people should honor you as a cut above, obligatorily. Thanks, but no thanks, for strangling democracy to death in its defense. Kudos, Sherlock, for the epic, epic fail right out of the conceptual starting gate.
Old 25th May 2018, 01:32 AM   #127
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

This has turned into yet another pubic relations debacle for the NFL--and nobody's taken a knee yet this season!
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:42 AM   #128
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
If you would please clarify that question, then I will do my best to answer it.
You say the players are free to protest, and they chose to protest by bending the knee at the anthem. Why isn't that protest ok?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 03:20 AM   #129
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
You say the players are free to protest, and they chose to protest by bending the knee at the anthem. Why isn't that protest ok?
That's my question. It seems to me that the central idea, the defining characteristic, of any act of expression is that it be seen to be expressed. The NFL appears to have decided on a cruder form of "separate but equal," where the separation alone, between the sheep who can be seen to express their political opinions and the goats who must not be seen to express theirs, is all it takes to make the equality of expression.

And, of course, the idea that it has anything at all to do with patriotism on the part of the NFL or Trump is laughable- the NFL is virtue signaling to the same "America, **** yeah!- love it or leave it!" crowd of Neanderthals Trump is dog-whistling to. The NFL wants their dollars and Trump wants their votes.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 03:47 AM   #130
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Well,...
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:01 AM   #131
NoahFence
Banned

They're protesting while Black.

That's 100 percent the reason why this is an issue. No other explanation has even been offered that passes the sniff test.

I eagerly await the TBDs and the Loggers of the world to give me a different plausible* explanation.

*Sorry for the difficult task.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:43 AM   #132
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

That's 100 percent the reason why this is an issue. No other explanation has even been offered that passes the sniff test.

I eagerly await the TBDs and the Loggers of the world to give me a different plausible* explanation.

No, no, no. You see, this is not about the NFL objecting to protests by back players. They are just doing it because the protests have been hurting their business, and they are only doing it to protect their revenues. The players' job is not just to play football, it is to make money for the league. That means these players with their protests, which are hurting league income, are not doing their job. As business owners, the owners have the right to insist that their employees do things that make money for the business.

Because, you know, "I don't have a problem with black people but my customers do and that's why I discriminate" is perfectly acceptable.
Old 25th May 2018, 06:49 AM   #133
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post

Also, successful black people not showing enough gratitude. They should be thankful to their white masters for allowing them to make money playing ball.

I think it's ridiculous the hard line the NFL is taking here. The players are highly skilled professionals, they should have a lot of say into how the league is run. I hope the players association hits back hard against this management over-reach.
Old 25th May 2018, 07:19 AM   #134
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Thanks much for the clarification.

To answer your question, it is quite OK for the players to protest things by bending the knee when the national anthem is played.

However, the NFL is not required to sponsor any protests which may made by the people that they hire to play football.

I hope this helps.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 07:27 AM   #135
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
No, no, no. You see, this is not about the NFL objecting to protests by back players. They are just doing it because the protests have been hurting their business, and they are only doing it to protect their revenues. The players' job is not just to play football, it is to make money for the league. That means these players with their protests, which are hurting league income, are not doing their job. As business owners, the owners have the right to insist that their employees do things that make money for the business.

Because, you know, "I don't have a problem with black people but my customers do and that's why I discriminate" is perfectly acceptable.
And just why is it a problem for the NFL?

Because the players who are doing it are BLACK
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 07:58 AM   #136
sts60
Master Poster

They shouldnít even play the national anthem at sporting events. Itís stupid.

But when treasonous gits like Trump say people who donít stand for it should leave the country, that makes me want to take a knee.

Finally, our (U.S.) anthem isnít very good. We Americans are good at stealing importing other proplesí ideas and using them as our own - we did it with the tune to our current anthem - so we should appropriate a cool one like La Marseillaise and use that.

Or just make America the Beautiful our anthem - for sporting events, specifically the Ray Charles version, for which all fans would be issued sunglasses.
sts60 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 08:26 AM   #137
Imhotep
Muse

Who wants to watch this commercial-laden nonsense burdened by continually modified rules and fifty different ways to stop the action so that 90% of the time you are not actually watching anything happen, anyway? Sorry about the grammar. Switch to English Football!
Imhotep is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 08:55 AM   #138
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Who wants to watch this commercial-laden nonsense burdened by continually modified rules and fifty different ways to stop the action so that 90% of the time you are not actually watching anything happen, anyway? Sorry about the grammar. Switch to English Football!
Just because someone is running on a field doesn't mean something is happening.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 11:50 AM   #139
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Also, successful black people not showing enough gratitude. They should be thankful to their white masters for allowing them to make money playing ball. ...
Indeed. Sadly, indeed.
Old 25th May 2018, 11:55 AM   #140
Mumbles
Philosopher

Also, successful black people not showing enough gratitude. They should be thankful to their white masters for allowing them to make money playing ball.
And never mind that they actually work far harder than most people - and as I recall often have to put up with the NCAA for years (and I could say plenty about that cartel, but it's a bit of an aside...). But yeah, you hear that a lot about black players in the NFL (and the NBA as well) who protest anything, or move to their home towns, or do anything to displease their so-called fans.

Never heard it about NHL players or NASCAR drivers, oddly.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 12:12 PM   #141
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Players should just come up with another sign of protest - let the league play catch-up.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:16 PM   #142
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
And never mind that they actually work far harder than most people - and as I recall often have to put up with the NCAA for years (and I could say plenty about that cartel, but it's a bit of an aside...). But yeah, you hear that a lot about black players in the NFL (and the NBA as well) who protest anything, or move to their home towns, or do anything to displease their so-called fans.

Never heard it about NHL players or NASCAR drivers, oddly.
Well, I don't know NASCAR, but I'm unfamiliar with any NHL players publicly protesting. As far as moving to another team, sometimes you hear fans bickering, but I never understood it. As long as the player played his best when he was paid for my team, I've nothing against his moving, for whatever reasons.

It's possible the difference in the NHL and the NFL or NBA is due to skin color, but I am in no position to know whether that's so.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 12:21 PM   #143
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I can't find the original video, and all I can find is twitter, but here's the link

https://twitter.com/TheLoveBel0w/sta...28452812427276

The question is: What are you angry about?

If they were taking a knee to protest the poor treatment of veterans, would you be mad?
Old 25th May 2018, 12:26 PM   #144
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The point isn't patriotism. The point is that the NFL wants everyone regardless of political views, to pay for tickets, buy concessions and watch on various media for ad revenue. This isn't a black or white issue. The only color the NFL cares about is green.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 12:28 PM   #145
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The point isn't patriotism. The point is that the NFL wants everyone regardless of political views, to pay for tickets, buy concessions and watch on various media for ad revenue. This isn't a black or white issue. The only color the NFL cares about is green.
As I (sarcastically) pointed out above, "I'm not racist but my customers are and that's why I discriminate" is not acceptable for other businesses. Why is it ok for the NFL?
Old 25th May 2018, 12:29 PM   #146
Fudbucker
Philosopher

I think it's ridiculous the hard line the NFL is taking here. The players are highly skilled professionals, they should have a lot of say into how the league is run. I hope the players association hits back hard against this management over-reach.
Well, since every football player is a gazillionaire who's set for life, why shouldn't they be grateful?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 12:37 PM   #147
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Well, since every football player is a gazillionaire who's set for life, why shouldn't they be grateful?
Empathy is more important than gratefulness.
Old 25th May 2018, 12:54 PM   #148
Mumbles
Philosopher

And yet they've angered a substantial part of their customers in this move, as well as apparently the players.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 01:02 PM   #149
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

People keep bringing this up as if it's the only issue, whether or not the NFL has the right to fine them.

Even if they do, I also have the right to call them hypocritical ********, and criticize them. As others have pointed out, if they are forced to go through these theatrics, it essentially means nothing, so why do people get angry? If you don't agree with them, ignore them. If you do agree with them and take notice, it shows that their chosen method of protest is at least somewhat effective, and stifling that expression is a social issue.

ETA: In fact, when the kneeling first started, I didn't pay much attention. But now that they are essentially being "gagged" by their employers, and also by the government, since they are paying for it, I am paying more attention. I don't like people being told to shut up by TPTB, and it's a sincere concern with myself and others. This is probably the exact opposite of what the NFL wanted to happen.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 25th May 2018 at 01:09 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:05 PM   #150
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Fine, if your point is they have a right as employers to force political speech on employees while muffling that same speech on the part of the latter. I beg to differ that this is appropriate in democracy.

Further, you abstract the context to its transactional nature to the exclusion of other elements, when that aspect is certainly only part of the overall social context. After all, how could anthems even matter if the event and its workings did not extend far beyond the merely transactional? Beware economics: "utility" is a surrogate variable, masking, gosh, complex reality. Reality must be put back into the picture before ever attempting to make social policy, or policy with a significant social dimension, on the basis of economics or the rules of business.

Your point also is that this is not a black or white issue, when the controversial acts in question are, as a matter of record, due to the treatment of blacks. The recent decision made by the networks is within that context, extending beyond the transactional. This part of your position is, then, contrary to fact.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 25th May 2018 at 02:08 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:17 PM   #151
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Fine, if your point is they have a right as employers to force political speech on employees while muffling that same speech on the part of the latter. I beg to differ that this is appropriate in democracy.
When an employee is on the clock, I don't think it's unreasonable for an employer to insist that they not engage in political speech contrary to the interests of the employer. It's much more problematic when employers try to regulate speech of employees outside of work hours, but that's not what's going on here.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 02:25 PM   #152
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
When an employee is on the clock, I don't think it's unreasonable for an employer to insist that they not engage in political speech contrary to the interests of the employer. It's much more problematic when employers try to regulate speech of employees outside of work hours, but that's not what's going on here.
Agreed, by and large, but while I think the NFL is within its rights, it's not a good decision.
Old 25th May 2018, 03:31 PM   #153
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Agreed, by and large, but while I think the NFL is within its rights, it's not a good decision.
They should have stopped it at the start, before ratings took a hit. Now nobody is happy with them.

I'm satisfied with that outcome, though. Screw the NFL, they suck.
Old 25th May 2018, 04:05 PM   #154
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
And yet they've angered a substantial part of their customers in this move, as well as apparently the players.
I'm not suggesting this is a great business model for them.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 06:25 PM   #155
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It is different when the employer starts engaging in the political speech during work hours.
Old 25th May 2018, 06:59 PM   #156
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It is good for the nation if all publicly worship in the imperial cult! Anything less is simultaneous treason and blasphemy. Treshphemy! The punishment for treshphemy is to be flogged to death, then executed, then imprisoned for five years, then pay a fine. On the second offense the punishment is harsher, poor encourager Les Archer.
Old 25th May 2018, 07:24 PM   #157
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I disagree with the hilited. Allow all of it, or none of it.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 08:28 PM   #158
dudalb
Suspended

The controversy has become not about what the protestors are protesting, but the protest itself.
And, frankly, the snide attitude of the left toward any display of patriotism is playing into the hands of the right. This has been a piece of idiocy that has been going on for some time.
George Orwell had some interesting things to say about how in his day the left's sneering on patriotrism was backfiring.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2018, 09:06 PM   #159
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Patriotism in the US is 99% stupid:instead of actually doing something for your country, you attack whoever you think doesn't praise it enough.
And Bonespurs is the archetype of this phenomenon.
Old 25th May 2018, 09:41 PM   #160
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The full on racists don't offend me much. At least it is a conscious choice. I'm really bothered by people that say the millionaires shouldn't be complaining. I can't wrap my head around the fact they can't even make it to a few steps of thought. They can't even speak to the concept that people with money are able and willing to emphasize with the plight of others.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics