ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 01:20 PM   #3361
fagin
Philosopher

The agreement. It's quite long and contains lots of words.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...greement_0.pdf
Old 14th November 2018, 06:48 PM   #3362
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

"Due to planned maintenance, the page you are trying to reach is not available. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later."

How apt.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 12:28 AM   #3363
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

The gist of it is that UK remains in the EU, it needs to follow all the EU rules but without having a seat at the table when making them. British financial industry will no longer have the position it has within the EU and UK can't make new trade deals until both parties agree on a different kind of future relationship, sometime in the future.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but it seems to me the EU got just about everything it could possibly want from UK and UK got shafted in just about every way it could get shafted.

If Theresa May is trying to stop Brexit then she really did go all in with this one.

McHrozni
Old 15th November 2018, 12:43 AM   #3364
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
The gist of it is that UK remains in the EU, it needs to follow all the EU rules but without having a seat at the table when making them. British financial industry will no longer have the position it has within the EU and UK can't make new trade deals until both parties agree on a different kind of future relationship, sometime in the future.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but it seems to me the EU got just about everything it could possibly want from UK and UK got shafted in just about every way it could get shafted.

If Theresa May is trying to stop Brexit then she really did go all in with this one.

McHrozni
Where have you downloaded it from, I can't find a working link.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:51 AM   #3365
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post

McHrozni
Oh, I agree, but this is entirely an own-goal. The EU has changed no rules or operating criteria. It is sad so few remember the days of getting exchange rates to not be manipulated in a common market, then the snake in the tunnel, then the euro to mitigate that, and the need for common fiscal policies that logically flow from that...

The real problem is that far too many, in far too many places, have swallowed gallons and gallons of the libertarian/wingnut Utopian Freedom Gospel, which takes the kind of "freedom" only anarchy can provide as its ideal, while poo-pooing what it would be like to live in Somalia. If I hear another complaint about "unelected Eurocrats" I think my head will burst from so much childish nonsense.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 15th November 2018 at 12:53 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 12:59 AM   #3366
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Here are two links:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...18-6423_en.htm

https://www.politico.eu/article/10-t...u-brexit-deal/
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:06 AM   #3367
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...777437696.html

FT's Brussels chief skim reads the draft agreement so you don't have to
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:12 AM   #3368
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
They are the summaries.
Old 15th November 2018, 01:16 AM   #3369
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Donald Tusk's statement:

Quote:
I took good note of Prime Minister May’s statement yesterday. Of course, I don’t share the Prime Minister’s enthusiasm about Brexit as such. Since the very beginning, we have had no doubt that Brexit is a lose-lose situation, and that our negotiations are only about damage control.

Given these extremely difficult circumstances, I would like to thank Michel Barnier and his team, especially Sabine Weyand and Stéphanie Riso, for doing this exceptionally hard work. Michel, we all put a lot of trust in you, and rightly so. You have achieved our two most important objectives. First, you ensured the limitation of the damage caused by Brexit and, second, you secured the vital interests and principles of the 27 member states, and of the European Union as a whole. If I weren’t confident that you did your best to protect the interests of the twenty‑seven, and I am familiar with the essence of the document, I would not propose to formalise this deal.

In the next days, we will proceed as follows. The agreement is now being analysed by all the member states. By the end of this week, the EU27 ambassadors will meet in order to share their assessment of the agreement. I hope that there will not be too many comments. They will also discuss the mandate for the Commission to finalise the Joint Political Declaration about the future relations between the EU and the UK. The European ministers will be involved in this process. The Commission intends to agree the declaration about the future with the UK by Tuesday. Over the following 48 hours, the member states will have time to evaluate it, which means that the EU27 Sherpas should conclude this work on Thursday. Then, if nothing extraordinary happens, we will hold a European Council meeting, in order to finalise and formalise the Brexit agreement. It will take place on Sunday 25th November at 9:30.

Finally, let me say this to our British friends. As much as I am sad to see you leave, I will do everything to make this farewell the least painful possible, both for you and for us.
Old 15th November 2018, 01:41 AM   #3370
Greebo
Thinker

I wonder how many more of these we will see?
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3990571.html
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:53 AM   #3371
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
I wonder how many more of these we will see?
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3990571.html
Dominic Raab has just resigned as well.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 01:56 AM   #3372
Wudang
BOFH

2 tweets that sum things up
https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog/statu...86655160774658

Quote:
The absurd unicorn-chasing of Brexit shown in a single paragraph of @ShaileshVara’s resignation letter.
-Don’t want hard border
But
-Don’t want NI in different relationship with EU to avoid hard border
-Don’t want UK in a relationship with EU that avoids hard border
Erm, ��*♂️

https://twitter.com/Tupp_Ed/status/1062480248862900229
Quote:
Brexit has been 18 months of watching someone trying to haggle on prices with the automatic scanning machine at a Tesco checkout.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 02:05 AM   #3373
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
He probably only just realised he was in cabinet yesterday.
Old 15th November 2018, 02:24 AM   #3374
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Is it unique for a government minister to quit in protest at a deal he himself negotiated?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:05 AM   #3375
Greebo
Thinker

And Ester McVie

Remind you of a Queen song?

Another one bites the dust
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:13 AM   #3376
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Is it unique for a government minister to quit in protest at a deal he himself negotiated?
Does tell you a lot about how this deal has been done really doesn't it?

The analogy of arguing with an automated teller seems very apt. Then his mum has come along and told him to just shut up and pay what it says and he's stormed off in a huff.
Old 15th November 2018, 03:17 AM   #3377
Wudang
BOFH

And now Esther McVey has resigned. Probably been looking for an excuse since even her own party is starting to be appalled by the Universal Credit benefit scheme.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:17 AM   #3378
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
He probably only just realised he was in cabinet yesterday.
That's unfair, it just took all night to read the 4 page summary document. Still he's a faster reader than McVey
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:19 AM   #3379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It won't get through Parliament anyway. DUP say they will vote against it and so do Labour.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:27 AM   #3380
Greebo
Thinker

Meanwhile Chief Whip saying "Prime minister won't be bullied and she won't change course"

Also know as putting fingers in ears and saying "La La La"
Old 15th November 2018, 03:27 AM   #3381
Worm
Master Poster

I know it's not the critical point, but the pagination of the agreement document that I got (from europa.eu) is pretty awful. With page count not being a critical issue, I would have thought that a simple layout would be;

Article 1
para 1.
para 2.
para 3.

-----page break-----

Article 2
para 1.
para 2.
para 3.

-----page break-----

Article 3
para 1.
para 2.
para 3.

but no, they appear to have gone with

Article 1
para 1.
para 2.

-----page break-----

para 3.
Article 2
para 1.
para 2.

-----page break-----

para 3.
Article 3
para 1.
para 2.

-----page break-----

para 3.

It's quite distracting. Maybe that was the point.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; 15th November 2018 at 04:46 AM.
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 03:28 AM   #3382
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It won't get through Parliament anyway. DUP say they will vote against it and so do Labour.
Have Labour finally found a position they can agree on then?
Old 15th November 2018, 03:29 AM   #3383
Worm
Master Poster

dup.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; 15th November 2018 at 04:07 AM.
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:01 AM   #3384
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I know it's not the critical point, but the pagination of the agreement document that I got (from europa.eu) is pretty awful.
Hmm the forum keeps trying to do double posts for me today. I get the message about 60 seconds between posts and find my post has gone up anyway. Probably something forced on us by EU regulations.
Old 15th November 2018, 04:17 AM   #3385
Wudang
BOFH

And Anne-Marie Trevelyan resigns as Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Education Ministers to the Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/annietrev/status...13858921594881
Old 15th November 2018, 04:19 AM   #3386
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Watching the news again last night it struck me that they are either going out of their way to find the most moronic Brexiteers they can or the average Leave voter can count their braincells in single figures.
Old 15th November 2018, 04:25 AM   #3387
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

One amazing thing is that the PM seems to have achieved the impossible by uniting the country once more - literally everyone thinks her proposal is dog dirt.
Old 15th November 2018, 04:28 AM   #3388
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Watching the news again last night it struck me that they are either going out of their way to find the most moronic Brexiteers they can or the average Leave voter can count their braincells in single figures.
Evidence that they can count, please?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:33 AM   #3389
fagin
Philosopher

I don't have Twitter so pinched from another forum

"David Baddiel@Baddiel

I feel I should take the job of Brexit Secretary now.

If only so that when I resign, Theresa May can finally be proved right than No Deal is better than a Baddiel."
Old 15th November 2018, 04:34 AM   #3390
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

One amazing thing is that the PM seems to have achieved the impossible by uniting the country once more - literally everyone thinks her proposal is dog dirt.
Hey it is far better than I figured would happen with a no deal exit and all that so does that count as good? Driving the car into a wall instead of off a cliff is better after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:41 AM   #3391
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Its a good deal for Ireland, north and south. So I'm pleased with it, or I will be if it passes the HoC.

Doesn't look promising for that though.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:41 AM   #3392
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Fagin's link works for me. It must've been a temporary problem.

McHrozni
Old 15th November 2018, 04:46 AM   #3393
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Oh, I agree, but this is entirely an own-goal. The EU has changed no rules or operating criteria. It is sad so few remember the days of getting exchange rates to not be manipulated in a common market, then the snake in the tunnel, then the euro to mitigate that, and the need for common fiscal policies that logically flow from that...

The real problem is that far too many, in far too many places, have swallowed gallons and gallons of the libertarian/wingnut Utopian Freedom Gospel, which takes the kind of "freedom" only anarchy can provide as its ideal, while poo-pooing what it would be like to live in Somalia. If I hear another complaint about "unelected Eurocrats" I think my head will burst from so much childish nonsense.
Oh definitely. Theresa May is one of the guilty parties ... unless the end result of this is a cancelled Brexit. She made every possible misstep I can think of.

If I was in her position and wanted to stop Brexit from happening, that's exactly what I'd do - essentially put the ERG in charge, have them negotiate something better than the "worst deal in history" and put it to public review. The statement Dominic Raab made about Dover-Calais being so vital to UK over two years into Brexit clearly shows he's unqualified to work in the government, except maybe as a junior janitor. Who better to put in charge of an affair you want to collapse? A taxidermied monkey could do better, I think.

Whether she's smart enough to do so or this is a result of a perfect series of incompetent missteps is something we still don't know.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 15th November 2018 at 05:23 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 04:48 AM   #3394
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Its a good deal for Ireland, north and south. So I'm pleased with it, or I will be if it passes the HoC.

Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 05:33 AM   #3395
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

DUP are against so it isn't going to happen.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 06:02 AM   #3396
Michel H
Graduate Poster

From a legal standpoint, can this new deal project be valid and binding for both parties (UK and European Union), even if it is not approved by the British Parliament?
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 06:50 AM   #3397
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
From a legal standpoint, can this new deal project be valid and binding for both parties (UK and European Union), even if it is not approved by the British Parliament?
I don't think so
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2018, 07:19 AM   #3398
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
No. Then it is not ratified and thus not legally binding.
Old 15th November 2018, 08:23 AM   #3399
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't need to be 'ratified' but if the PM tries to go ahead without parliament there will be an election.
Old 15th November 2018, 08:26 AM   #3400
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
No. Then it is not ratified and thus not legally binding.
PM can sign any treaty, it's part of the sovereign powers.

Mod InfoThread closed as running slow due to length.
Continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th November 2018 at 08:05 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics