IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th June 2022, 04:58 AM   #81
dellarte
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AniKoferBo View Post
maybe yes
maybe no
More likely her name was מרים (Mrim, Mirriam)?

There are two Marys in the holey (pun intended) patchwork quilt known as the Religion of the Cross.

Are we to believe a father god told a gender neutral god to touch Mary without consent? No means no, except when it involves ancient gods and virgin human women, so it seems.

Then there is عائشة (Aisha) child bride to the Prophet of the Religion of the Crescent.

Last edited by dellarte; 5th June 2022 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Corrected punctuation.
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 05:21 AM   #82
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

My favorite little detail of the original post is that, while talking about how little is known about Mary, it was content to throw in a detail that isn't mentioned in even the few sources we do have mentioning her:
forced to marry a man three times her age
Somebody just made that up some number of years later. So if you're satisfied with answers that anybody can just make up at any place & time to fill in the gaps in the sources, then why ask at all? Just make up whatever you feel like making up. That's what whoever added that thing about their ages did, so why not anybody else?
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 07:36 AM   #83
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
What was the community like in which she grew from child to teenager forced to marry a man three times her age?
Wait- you want to talk about the age gap between Mary and Joseph? What about the age gap between Mary and the God who impregnated her?

'Of course it can be OK to mistreat people.'- shuttlt
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 03:18 PM   #84
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Wait- you want to talk about the age gap between Mary and Joseph? What about the age gap between Mary and the God who impregnated her?
God is everything, including a handsome, virile 17-year-old.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 03:36 PM   #85
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
God is everything, including a handsome, virile 17-year-old.
He was emulating Zeus, who would pretend to be anything for a young maiden.

His sons had more exciting adventures.
Old 5th June 2022, 03:38 PM   #86
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
God...the rapist.
Old 5th June 2022, 03:40 PM   #87
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I was taught in catechism that God was timeless, the "alpha and omega."

What is that minus 14? What would you call this, a May/Eternity romance?
Old 5th June 2022, 04:58 PM   #88
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I was taught in catechism that God was timeless, the "alpha and omega."

What is that minus 14? What would you call this, a May/Eternity romance?
"Timeless"

A definition that means absolutely nothing.
Old 6th June 2022, 05:34 AM   #89
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
"Timeless"

Rather serendipitous, as meaning absolutely nothing would also be timeless.
Old 6th June 2022, 06:44 AM   #90
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Three pages in, and no one mentioned St. Anna, mother of Mary?
(A genuine catholic saint)

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 03:56 AM   #91
dellarte
Illuminator

Life of Aisha?!

She's the most famous woman in history, yet almost nothing is known about her. Although she's portrayed as the gentlest and most tragic of all women, her name has been used as an excuse for internecine hatred and wars between peoples.

But who was Aisha, prepubescent "Mother of the Believers"? What type of family did she have? What was the community like in which she grew from child to teenager forced to marry a man three times her age?

And why have virtually all the details of her early life been obscured and censored by the writers of the Quran?

What happened to her after death of the Prophet of the Religion of the Crescent (aka: the PoRC)?!

Am working on a prequel.
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 07:27 AM   #92
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

"Timeless"

Well, basically, he's infinity old, according to the church.

Biggest layabout NEET in history, come to think about it. I mean, people feel bad about spending a year unemployed and doing nothing. This guy sat on his fat holy ass for literally infinity before deciding to DO anything at all.
Old 8th June 2022, 12:51 PM   #93
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Well, basically, he's infinity old, according to the church.

Biggest layabout NEET in history, come to think about it. I mean, people feel bad about spending a year unemployed and doing nothing. This guy sat on his fat holy ass for literally infinity before deciding to DO anything at all.
Which church? Also infinity isn't much of an improvement as it isn't a number.
Old 8th June 2022, 01:52 PM   #94
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Which church? Also infinity isn't much of an improvement as it isn't a number.
Pretty sure it's standard for all of RCC, Eastern Orthodox AND most protestants. Pretty sure it applies to the Muslims too. (If nothing else, otherwise the Kalam argument would lose a premise right there.)

And hey, I didn't say it was a smart doctrine. In case it wasn't clear from my taking the piss out of it
Old 8th June 2022, 01:54 PM   #95
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Also, pfft, Mary is of course a fake. The REAL thing is, of course, Lavinia Whateley
Old 8th June 2022, 02:27 PM   #96
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Pretty sure it's standard for all of RCC, Eastern Orthodox AND most protestants. Pretty sure it applies to the Muslims too. (If nothing else, otherwise the Kalam argument would lose a premise right there.)

And hey, I didn't say it was a smart doctrine. In case it wasn't clear from my taking the piss out of it
I knew you were. It's funny. Religions are funny. There is a level of absurdity about every one I have ever heard.
Old 8th June 2022, 11:45 PM   #97
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Especially if she had a child outside of marriage.
Funny thing, though, the rules don't actually say anything about it being God's son in Deuteronomy 22. If she bleeds on the first knight she's ok, if not, stone her. Incidentally, that doesn't mention pregnancy as a criterion or anything. It may seem strange to you or I, but her being pregnant is actually even mentioned there. If she bleeds, that's it.

The pregnancy part is more like Numbers 5:11-31, which basically is how to cause an abortion (and leave her barren in the process) if you suspect she's been unfaithful.

Incidentally, Numbers WOULD have been a test if it's really God's son, since the whole thing repeatedly talks about whether she's been "with another man." So (assuming you believe the magical mumbo jumbo and) if it's really just a miracle from God, that abortion should fail. And really, if God is doing the magic there, he's not gonna abort Jesus, right? But somehow Joe, who we're told was a righteous man, doesn't do that.
Old 9th June 2022, 09:58 PM   #98
Tassman
Graduate Poster

I knew you were. It's funny. Religions are funny. There is a level of absurdity about every one I have ever heard.
Yes they are - AND superseded. They only arose in the pre-scientific era as a way to explain lightning and where the sun went at night et al. Now we know thanks to science.
Old 10th June 2022, 02:26 AM   #99
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty literally, in fact. Egyptian religion literally went into where does Ra go at night. And it wasn't even one single explanation, since, well, we ARE talking about 3000 years or so of it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy