ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM   #2001
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Signs of the End Times - Part Two

The characterization of Paul's doppelgänger in the story I'm writing is getting progressively darker as this thread continues.

Gaslighting.

Bragging about playing word games.

Conflating love with abuse.

Advocating ethnic cleansing.

Last edited by halleyscomet; Yesterday at 07:10 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #2002
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul Bethke View Post
You see Comet, once again you show not logic—rapist must be put to death, there is no other consideration. It is stated clearly that this is the case with a rapist.
So when it is consensual there is another way in which the situation is dealt with. No father is going to consent to a man who forcefully raped his daughter to become her husband.

There are translations that use the word force, clearly defining rape, but in this instance the word force is not applied, making it consensual.
So when it is considered in this statement it becomes clear->>Exo 22:16 "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.
Exo 22:17 If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins.

So the same situation is considered that the man seduced the virgin. So the father has the right to refuse the man to become his son in law.

Here is a long read for you---http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/ot_and_rape.htm
More evidence that your god's rules are inferior to the secular laws of democracies. In our system the rapist goes to prison and the girl doesn't have to marry the guy. Much better than what your dumbass god came up with. What a sick pervert.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #2003
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
The characterization of Paul's doppelgänger in the story I'm writing is getting progressively darker as this thread continues.

Gaslighting.

Bragging about playing word games.

Conflating love with abuse.

Advocating ethnic cleansing.
Re the highlighted...

Were I writing anything, that particular aspect would be the most disturbing and hence the most likely to produce a fertile storyline. All on it's lonesome, it asks many questions that reach deep into the psyche. My only misgiving is that fiction is fiction but PB buys it for real.
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #2004
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Signs of the End Times - Part Two

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Re the highlighted...

Were I writing anything, that particular aspect would be the most disturbing and hence the most likely to produce a fertile storyline. All on it's lonesome, it asks many questions that reach deep into the psyche. My only misgiving is that fiction is fiction but PB buys it for real.
You're quite right. The rest gives shape to the abuse, but the abusive nature of the protagonist combined with his religious justification for that abuse is going to be a dominant facet of the character.

I keep scrapping my notes. I don't want to write a story where the protagonist spends most his time screaming at and beating his wife and kids, but Paul Bethke's attitudes and arguments keep dragging the story in that direction.

I also didn't want to make the protagonist into a caricature. That gets into "Mommy Dearest" territory.

Last edited by halleyscomet; Yesterday at 05:11 PM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #2005
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
You're quite right. The rest gives shape to the abuse, but the abusive nature of the protagonist combined with his religious justification for that abuse is going to be a dominant facet of the character.

I keep scrapping my notes. I don't want to write a story where the protagonist spends most his time screaming at and beating his wife and kids, but Paul Bethke's attitudes and arguments keep dragging the story in that direction.

I also didn't want to make the protagonist into a caricature. That gets into "Mommy Dearest" territory.
OK. I cannot write your story for you, nor would I make the attempt. At best, I can suggest what seem to be fruitful lines of exploration.

To wit, the concept of a protagonist who is a despotic, delusional, abusive control freak yet somehow remains unaware of such offers so many storylines to follow.

Personally, the POV of the protagonist is far more interesting. The confusion and incomprehension why it is that his wife has left and his children are in care, hell, even the prequel writes itself as a build up to the eventual crisis.

Boy are we off topic. Enough already, we should return to the topic at hand.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy