ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 09:06 AM   #521
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
That to me reads as if he's implying people will actually get better if they go to work. Then he says they'll "go to work but they get better".

I'm not sure which stage of the "Making excuses for the stupid ******* **** Donald Trump says" wheel we're at, and I really don't care. Perhaps if he doesn't want to be mistaken for saying something stupid he should pick his words better. He's a ******* moron.
If there is one thing Trump has and will continue to see Covid-19 as an opportunity for, its to look foolish and childish.

I wonder how much of his lying is spouting of ignorantly then refusing to back done regardless of the facts versus actually intending to lie in the first place. It doesn't matter much but I'm curious.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:08 AM   #522
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I wonder how much of his lying is spouting of ignorantly then refusing to back done regardless of the facts versus actually intending to lie in the first place.
In my opinion, most of it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:20 AM   #523
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No, that isn't at all what he said. He said that some people with the virus WILL go to work. That's true. Lots of people will not show significant symptoms, and so will continue with their regular routine. They won't even know they have it, and they will recover without treatment. They should not go to work, but it will happen. And that's all Trump was saying. It's an observation, not advice, and the observation is both correct and relevant to understanding the statistics.
Do you think Trump has a responsibility to make it clear that people should not be going to work if they think they have the coronavirus, for both the sake of clarity and public safety?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:57 AM   #524
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

No, that isn't at all what he said. He said that some people with the virus WILL go to work. That's true. Lots of people will not show significant symptoms, and so will continue with their regular routine. They won't even know they have it, and they will recover without treatment. They should not go to work, but it will happen. And that's all Trump was saying.
Trump's EXACT statement was:
...we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

Nothing in there about being asymptomatic. In fact, just the opposite... they "go to work but get better", suggesting by 'better' that they actually were showing the symptoms at the time they decided "I think I'm ok to work".
Quote:
It's an observation, not advice, and the observation is both correct and relevant to understanding the statistics.
If your 'observation' involves risky behavior taken out of context, then it becomes advice.

"I had sex with a prostitute without a condom and my penis didn't fall off" highly downplays the risks of an inherently risky activity and should be avoided. Likewise "People work when they're sick with no problem" is likewise downplaying the risk of a risky activity.

He's president. He needs to communicate gooder.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:00 AM   #525
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Do you think Trump has a responsibility to make it clear that people should not be going to work if they think they have the coronavirus, for both the sake of clarity and public safety?
It is already clear.
But because his statement has been mischaracterized I think he should. He also should have been more careful in what he said.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:02 AM   #526
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Of course it's his fault. Everything that goes wrong is Obama's fault. Trump says so, so it must be true.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:04 AM   #527
eeyore1954
Philosopher

That to me reads as if he's implying people will actually get better if they go to work. Then he says they'll "go to work but they get better".

I'm not sure which stage of the "Making excuses for the stupid ******* **** Donald Trump says" wheel we're at, and I really don't care. Perhaps if he doesn't want to be mistaken for saying something stupid he should pick his words better. He's a ******* moron.
I honestly am amazed someone would hear the complete statement in context and arrive at the conclusion he said going to work will help you get better.
But apparently some do.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:15 AM   #528
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I honestly am amazed someone would hear the complete statement in context and arrive at the conclusion he said going to work will help you get better.
But apparently some do.
Anybody can extract any meaning at all from the word salads that Trump barfs up. I doubt he himself knows what he actually means when he says anything. It's like a verbal Rorschach test.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:25 AM   #529
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump's EXACT statement was:
No. That's a small part of his statement. It's less than the source article quoted, which in turn is less than he actually said.

Quote:
...we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

Nothing in there about being asymptomatic.
And MY exact statement was " Lots of people will not show significant symptoms". I didn't say asymptomatic. And that matches with what Trump said but you cut off: "A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild." And that's true. When COVID-19 is mild (which is the case for a lot of people), it's hard to distinguish from lots of other diseases like a cold or a mild flu.

Quote:
In fact, just the opposite... they "go to work but get better", suggesting by 'better' that they actually were showing the symptoms at the time they decided "I think I'm ok to work".
Well, yeah. Lots of people go to work with a cold, and if you think you've got the cold because that's what your symptoms present as, you may decide to go to work. And so people who think they don't have the coronavirus even though they do (because it's mild) are going to go to work. That's happening.

Quote:
If your 'observation' involves risky behavior taken out of context, then it becomes advice.
That's ironic, given that this whole complaint is based on taking Trump's words out of context.

Quote:
He's president. He needs to communicate gooder.
Perhaps. But that's a very different complaint from claiming that Trump said it's OK to go to work with the coronavirus. He didn't say that, at all. And the press which is reporting on what he said needs to communicate gooder too.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:32 AM   #530
johnny karate

It is already clear.
But because his statement has been mischaracterized I think he should. He also should have been more careful in what he said.
What part of Trump's statement made it clear? Please provide a quote.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #531
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

But apparently some do.
Has someone actually said that? I haven't seen that. What I see people saying is that he is minimizing the seriousness of spreading this.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:39 AM   #532
johnny karate

That's ironic, given that this whole complaint is based on taking Trump's words out of context.
What was the context that you think made Trump's meaning clear?

Quote:
Perhaps. But that's a very different complaint from claiming that Trump said it's OK to go to work with the coronavirus. He didn't say that, at all. And the press which is reporting on what he said needs to communicate gooder too.
Why do you think it's more important for the press to communicate Trump's intended meaning than it is for Trump to actually be clear in his meaning?
Old 5th March 2020, 10:41 AM   #533
johnny karate

But apparently some do.
I wonder if you appreciate the irony of complaining about critics mischaracterizing what Trump said by mischaracterizing what the critics said.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:48 AM   #534
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump could do this on purpose, he would be a genius.

What has happened here is that Trump has said some vague, mostly pointless, statements, worthy of a Tweet perhaps, but not worthy of a statement by the President of the United States. Then, his critics insist that what he said must have meant X, and since X isn't true, it must be a lie, or something similar. And then they draw such strong conclusions from it, but only by taking what he said and substituting X, and by the time it's all said and done, Trump doesn't end up looking as bad as his critics.

He has done it again and again and again. If I thought he did it on purpose, I would say that he is brilliant.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:53 AM   #535
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

What has happened here is that Trump has said some vague, mostly pointless, statements, worthy of a Tweet perhaps, but not worthy of a statement by the President of the United States. Then, his critics insist that what he said must have meant X, and since X isn't true, it must be a lie, or something similar. And then they draw such strong conclusions from it, but only by taking what he said and substituting X, and by the time it's all said and done, Trump doesn't end up looking as bad as his critics.

He has done it again and again and again. If I thought he did it on purpose, I would say that he is brilliant.
Do you understand that this is literally a life-or-death situation and that the semantic debate about what constitutes a lie is irrevelant?
Old 5th March 2020, 11:16 AM   #536
eeyore1954
Philosopher

What part of Trump's statement made it clear? Please provide a quote.
I wasn't saying anything he said in that statement made it clear. I was implying it was already clear and in my opinion still remains clear. (in spite of his ramblings)
Old 5th March 2020, 11:20 AM   #537
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Has someone actually said that? I haven't seen that. What I see people saying is that he is minimizing the seriousness of spreading this.
Quote:

But apparently some do.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 5th March 2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:44 AM   #538
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

No, this is just, no.

The problem is whenever Trump says anything we can't take him at his literal definition of what words mean. Then people like you present this argument, and several variations of it.

We have:
That's not what Trump said
That's not what Trump meant
That's not what Trump tried to say but used the wrong words
That's not what you heard Trump say

Which is exactly what we have here. Because Trump can't, won't, or doesn't use the ******* English language in a way that is clear we have to interpret what he says without the use of a god damn decoder ring. It's just you, for some reason, seem to give him the perpetual benefit of the doubt.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 5th March 2020 at 11:47 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:46 AM   #539
plague311
Great minds think...

But apparently some do.
I didn't say I came to that conclusion, I said that's how it reads. Can you point to the section of his statement that directly contradicts my claim? You won't, but I'll wait with baited breath.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:50 AM   #540
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I detest Trump, I have to agree that he wasn't saying it's ok to go to work with Covid 19. He's saying that a lot of people have a mild case and don't even know they have it. They think they just have a cold or are just not feeling well. Lots of people go to work when not feeling well.
He was clumsy how he said it and definitely should clarify it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 11:52 AM   #541
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

But apparently some do.
Doesn't read to me that Plague came to that conclusion. Here is what Trump said and what Plague is commenting on:
Originally Posted by Trump

So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.
He does use phrasing that says going to work is how you get better and then says something different in the next sentence. It's obviously sloppy wording and I'd bet plague did not conclude that Trump meant that. Plague noted the contradiction.

ETA: And I've been ninja'd by Plague himself.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 5th March 2020 at 11:53 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:14 PM   #542
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

"I'm not lying, YOU'RE lying" - Trump, not verbatim.

Quote:
Asked about the WHO's coronavirus fatality rate findings during an interview Wednesday, Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity: "Well, I think the 3.4% is really a false number."

He added, "now, this is just my hunch ... based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this, and it's very mild."

Trump later put the number at less than 1%.

So the question becomes who (pun intended) are you going to believe? Scientists or Trump? He's obviously lying, it's undeniable.
Breathtaking in the need to believe bad stuff about Trump camp.

Funnily enough, Trump isn't lying, and the WHO is. I have no idea why they are, and I've discussed it in other threads, but they know for certain the fatality rate is nothing like 3.4%.

Ergo, Trump is correct - it is a false number.

The 1% rate is also almost certainly true. He has been talking to some wiser heads, because a huge majority of cases are indeed very mild.

Even morons should be able to recognise this, because evidence confirms Covid-19 has been circulating in USA for at least six weeks before the first community-transmitted case was found.

But thanks for the excellent early morning laugh!

This isn't placating some ******* fear the public has to make things easier to manage. It's is openly ******* lying to the your base so that you look less like an incompetent moron.
]

You might want to check who's looking like a moron here, because according to every epidemiologist not employed by WHO, Trump is correct. The best estimate of the ultimate fatality rate right now is between 0.5 and 1% - right on the money.

Here's what the defense by the usual sycophants and so-called politically-neutral "skeptics" will look like:

WHO acknowledges that the mortality rate will most likely decrease:

So technically, Trump could be correct. And when he is proven correct, he will be the all-time champion of the world, everyone else will look stupid, TDS, eggs on all the faces, etc.
Good summary, except that it's not WHO's estimate that the rate will drop, but they already know it's well under 3.4%. Yes, they know that.

If I were you, I'd be asking why WHO are lying, because they just are. I suspect it's some attempt to scare people into washing their hands, but it as false as India's ministry saying homeopathy cures Covid-19.

Here's what those defenses will ignore:

Trump outright calling the current death rate a "false number", thereby implying that WHO is lying.
He's right, they are. I can prove it mathematically if you like, but I suspect it would be time wasted.

Trump floating his own mortality rate number based on nothing more than a "hunch".
It's no hunch, he's correct. I'd say he's either been talking to the right people or reading the ISF thread on the disease.

It's one thing to offer context for the current mortality rate to mitigate fear.

It's another thing entirely to undermine the credibility of WHO and pull random numbers out of your ass.

Oh boy, does that look spectacularly silly in the face of actual evidence.

Don't worry about being at all skeptical of WHO, though.

Instead of Trump trying to mitigate fear, ask why WHO is encouraging it.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:17 PM   #543
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As much as I detest Trump, I have to agree that he wasn't saying it's ok to go to work with Covid 19. He's saying that a lot of people have a mild case and don't even know they have it. They think they just have a cold or are just not feeling well. Lots of people go to work when not feeling well.
Bingo! Someone who understands how it works.

On one hand, WHO is saying it's deadly, while we know for certain that many, many cases present very mildly. If you don't feel too bad, you wouldn't even think you had Covid-19. A slight cold, hayfever, sore throat...

Why would you stay home when you're not going to be paid if you don't even feel very ill?
Old 5th March 2020, 12:18 PM   #544
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I didn't say I came to that conclusion, I said that's how it reads. Can you point to the section of his statement that directly contradicts my claim? You won't, but I'll wait with baited breath.
When you said that's how it reads I thought you meant that's what you read it to mean. If you didn't mean you read it (understood it) that way ok I was wrong.

ETA Trump couldn't have said what I just said worse.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 5th March 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:18 PM   #545
johnny karate

The problem is that people might think he's suggesting it's okay to go to work if they have the coronavirus because he failed to clarify that people should absolutely not do that.

And since context seems to be so important, this has to be taken in the context of how Trump is always presenting himself as the ultimate authority on everything - including the coronavirus - and how so many people in this country completely buy into that.

There are people out there, a significant number of them, who watched that interview and will believe what he tells them, just like they believe everything he tells them. They'll believe that WHO is presenting "false numbers". They'll believe that he has the real numbers. And when they hear him so casually mention that people are going to work with the coronavirus as if it's no big deal, it sends the message that this is okay to do, and they'll believe that, too.

If any of these people contract the coronavirus (and statistically, some of them probably will) they will be putting their lives and potentially the lives of others in danger because they listened to Trump.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:21 PM   #546
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is that people might think he's suggesting it's okay to go to work if they have the coronavirus because he failed to clarify that people should absolutely not do that.

And since context seems to be so important, this has to be taken in the context of how Trump is always presenting himself as the ultimate authority on everything - including the coronavirus - and how so many people in this country completely buy into that.

There are people out there, a significant number of them, who watched that interview and will believe what he tells them, just like they believe everything he tells them. They'll believe that WHO is presenting "false numbers". They'll believe that he has the real numbers. And when they hear him so casually mention that people are going to work with the coronavirus as if it's no big deal, it sends the message that this is okay to do, and they'll believe that, too.

If any of these people contract the coronavirus (and statistically, some of them probably will) they will be putting their lives and potentially the lives of others in danger because they listened to Trump.
Which is why I said "He was clumsy how he said it and definitely should clarify it."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:29 PM   #547
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Funnily enough, Trump isn't lying, and the WHO is. I have no idea why they are, and I've discussed it in other threads, but they know for certain the fatality rate is nothing like 3.4%.

The 1% rate is also almost certainly true. He has been talking to some wiser heads, because a huge majority of cases are indeed very mild.

Even morons should be able to recognise this, because evidence confirms Covid-19 has been circulating in USA for at least six weeks before the first community-transmitted case was found.

]

You might want to check who's looking like a moron here, because according to every epidemiologist not employed by WHO, Trump is correct. The best estimate of the ultimate fatality rate right now is between 0.5 and 1% - right on the money.

Good summary, except that it's not WHO's estimate that the rate will drop, but they already know it's well under 3.4%. Yes, they know that.

If I were you, I'd be asking why WHO are lying, because they just are. I suspect it's some attempt to scare people into washing their hands, but it as false as India's ministry saying homeopathy cures Covid-19.

He's right, they are. I can prove it mathematically if you like, but I suspect it would be time wasted.

It's no hunch, he's correct. I'd say he's either been talking to the right people or reading the ISF thread on the disease.

I don't believe the WHO meant the actual rate of fatalities for those who get
the corona virus was 3.4%. So I wonder why did they say it. Or not clarify later
This is the same organization that said something like only 1.2% of those testing positive have no symptoms. Of course because why would they test if they did not have symptoms.
I like to use the cruise ship numbers because I am guessing all were tested. 704 tested positive 6 died and they were all elderly. I read in an article that 50% of those tested on the ship showed no symptoms.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...re-mild-2020-2
Old 5th March 2020, 12:31 PM   #548
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Bingo! Someone who understands how it works.

On one hand, WHO is saying it's deadly, while we know for certain that many, many cases present very mildly. If you don't feel too bad, you wouldn't even think you had Covid-19. A slight cold, hayfever, sore throat...

Why would you stay home when you're not going to be paid if you don't even feel very ill?
And you will get fired for missing work? I mean the lies like that young doctor who was assassinated by the chinese government instead of dying from this disease as retribution for letting people know it exists. It doesn't kill people like there therefore is must have been an assasination.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:32 PM   #549
johnny karate

]

Belligerence, insults, bare assertions, and not a single shred of evidence to back up the claims being made.

How very Trumpian.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:35 PM   #550
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I don't believe the WHO meant the actual rate of fatalities for those who get
the corona virus was 3.4%. So I wonder why did they say it. Or not clarify later
This is the same organization that said something like only 1.2% of those testing positive have no symptoms. Of course because why would they test if they did not have symptoms.
I like to use the cruise ship numbers because I am guessing all were tested. 704 tested positive 6 died and they were all elderly. I read in an article that 50% of those tested on the ship showed no symptoms.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...re-mild-2020-2
Which proves the doctor was assassinated.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:44 PM   #551
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And you will get fired for missing work? I mean the lies like that young doctor who was assassinated by the chinese government instead of dying from this disease as retribution for letting people know it exists. It doesn't kill people like there therefore is must have been an assasination.
Likely not..but many people don't get paid unless they go to work and others don't want to use up sick days because they want to save them for vacation time, etc. Others have already used up their sick days being sick themselves or taking time off to care for a sick child, etc.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:49 PM   #552
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Likely not..but many people don't get paid unless they go to work and others don't want to use up sick days because they want to save them for vacation time, etc. Others have already used up their sick days being sick themselves or taking time off to care for a sick child, etc.
Plenty of employers are fine with firing people for being sick. My wife had that happen to her. She tried to call in sick as a waitress the night before work and got told to come in. Oddly no one wanted a visibly sick waitress so she got sent home and fired. Why would a little Covid-19 change the whole restaurant industry?
Old 5th March 2020, 12:49 PM   #553
plague311
Great minds think...

You can't forgive Trump for his clumsy words if you're going to hold WHO to the literal definitions of theirs.

To quote:

Quote:
While a WHO spokesperson called the number “the current global ‘snapshot,’”
Which it is. They never said that's what the final ******* number is or anything like that. It's not a fake number. It's a reflection of the numbers THAT HAVE BEEN REPORTED. That's it. Even they've said the number is likely to drop. That doesn't make the number any more or less factual that it is a "current global snapshot".

I'll let the people saying Trump isn't lying, just like, super clumsy at talking, continue but not without saying that it's an argument that flies in the face of reality.

Last edited by plague311; 5th March 2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:56 PM   #554
plague311
Great minds think...

Some more notes from the WHO statement found here:

Quote:
With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19.
Quote:
Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died

Old 5th March 2020, 01:02 PM   #555
johnny karate

You can't forgive Trump for his clumsy words if you're going to hold WHO to the literal definitions of theirs.

To quote:

Which it is. They never said that's what the final ******* number is or anything like that. It's not a fake number. It's a reflection of the numbers THAT HAVE BEEN REPORTED. That's it. Even they've said the number is likely to drop. That doesn't make the number any more or less factual that it is a "current global snapshot".

I'll let the people saying Trump isn't lying, just like, super clumsy at talking, continue but not without saying that it's an argument that flies in the face of reality.
And it’s not like Trump cited other experts or data to support anything he was claiming.

He just flat-out said the WHO numbers were false and didn’t cite anything other than his own hunch and personal belief.
Old 5th March 2020, 01:04 PM   #556
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And it’s not like Trump cited other experts or data to support anything he was claiming.

He just flat-out said the WHO numbers were false and didn’t cite anything other than his own hunch and personal belief.
And that is always good enough, that is why all those supporting trump on this also support all anti vaxers. Data and evidence are liberal tools.
Old 5th March 2020, 01:05 PM   #557
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

No, this is just, no.

The problem is whenever Trump says anything we can't take him at his literal definition of what words mean. Then people like you present this argument, and several variations of it.

We have:
That's not what Trump said
That's not what Trump meant
That's not what Trump tried to say but used the wrong words
That's not what you heard Trump say

Which is exactly what we have here. Because Trump can't, won't, or doesn't use the ******* English language in a way that is clear we have to interpret what he says without the use of a god damn decoder ring. It's just you, for some reason, seem to give him the perpetual benefit of the doubt.
Welcome to isf, where someone ,(me) can say that Trump's words were vague, pointless, and unworthy of a statement by the president of the United States, and the response is "Why are you defending Trump?'
Old 5th March 2020, 01:19 PM   #558
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What else would you expect of a man born in Kenya.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 01:24 PM   #559
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Quote:
It's all Obama's fault!
What else would you expect of a man born in Kenya.
Allah made him do it.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 01:32 PM   #560
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Which proves the doctor was assassinated.

No, not really. Apparently, it can depend on how much coronavirus you're exposed to. At least, that's what a (usually reliable) Danish website says:

Quote:
Det kan betyde noget, hvor stor en dosis virus man bliver udsat for. Den 34-årige kinesiske læge, som døde, kan have været udsat for massivt smittepres på hospitalet, og det kan måske forklare, at han blev alvorligt syg, selvom han ikke var gammel eller svækket.
Spørgsmål om coronavirus: Hvordan kan en ung læge dø, hvis ældre er mest udsatte? (TV2, Feb. 27, 2020)

He was probably also stressed out at the time, which also doesn't help your body fight off an infection.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics