ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th February 2020, 02:10 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

RIP Holden

An Australian car brand sufficiently well known to have been heard of here in Blighty is being wound down.

It's part of GM's strategy to be a regional rather than global manufacturer.

Quote:
General Motors has said it will retire the iconic Australian car brand Holden as it leaves more markets.

The American car giant said it will wind down Holden sales, design and engineering operations in Australia and New Zealand by next year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51499775
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 02:14 AM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sad days.

Never actually owned one but mates did.

Think you will still be able to import them from other countries under a different label and convert to rhd
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 02:16 AM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Should probably clarify that I think the whole supplying Right hand drive market for Aus and NZ doesn't pay for itself now given the popularity of SUVs, small hatches and electric
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 02:50 AM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Should probably clarify that I think the whole supplying Right hand drive market for Aus and NZ doesn't pay for itself now given the popularity of SUVs, small hatches and electric
Then again there are a fair few other countries in the region that are RHD including Japan, Thailand, India (though that's debatable looking at the way they drive in India), Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia so whilst it may not make sense for Aus and NZ, there are a couple of billion potential customers out there.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 03:04 AM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Then again there are a fair few other countries in the region that are RHD including Japan, Thailand, India (though that's debatable looking at the way they drive in India), Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Indonesia so whilst it may not make sense for Aus and NZ, there are a couple of billion potential customers out there.
Little name recognition though I think.

Not sure about each country but they probably just slap Vauxhall badges on the same chasis with smaller engines like the UK

Bit like ford and mazda

Last edited by cullennz; 17th February 2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 17th February 2020, 03:21 AM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I nearly exploded when PM Morrison rounded on Holden for closing down without warning him. The death of the Australian car industry (we recently had Holden, Ford, Toyota and Nissan) is the consequence of his party deciding not to support the industry with subsidies, unlike pretty much the rest of the world.

Yes, I get economic rationalism. We made some hard decisions in the 1980s to stop massive subsidies to many inefficient industries, notably textiles, clothing and footwear, and the nation is better for this.

But the car industry was not greatly inefficient. It was the high $A which led to the Libs deciding it was all too hard and expensive. Guess what? The $A dropped 30%, which alone would have made local cars efficient and attractive to world markets (only exports would allow the local car industry to compete and survive). But it was too late 5 years or so ago. Without subsidies, the overseas owners were out of here.

While a sad day, there were only hundreds of car workers left. The countless thousands had long gone, and many did not find other jobs.

The Libs have blood on their hands over this. The ALP may have ended up doing the same, but at least they would have dragged it out much longer.

**** you Morrison and your predecessors.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 03:37 AM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I should add that Australian made cars were terrific. If you ask an Aussie about any home made lemons, they would come up with the Leyland p76 and perhaps the Charger, both from the 70s. I’ve driven company cars for 30 years and all have been Australian made up until 5 years ago. All very good. Hell, Holden was the highest selling car up to 2017.

Future generations will shake their heads about how the government let the industry go.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 03:49 AM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I should add that Australian made cars were terrific. If you ask an Aussie about any home made lemons, they would come up with the Leyland p76 and perhaps the Charger, both from the 70s. I’ve driven company cars for 30 years and all have been Australian made up until 5 years ago. All very good. Hell, Holden was the highest selling car up to 2017.

Future generations will shake their heads about how the government let the industry go.
Whoa

Back a step with the charger.

Owned one as was the bees knees

Old 17th February 2020, 03:57 AM   #9
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Little name recognition though I think.

Not sure about each country but they probably just slap Vauxhall badges on the same chasis with smaller engines like the UK

Bit like ford and mazda
Not if it's GM - Vauxhall (and Opel) are no longer owned by GM.
Old 17th February 2020, 04:16 AM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

I had a '69 HT Holden Kingswood Ute (with the 186 straight six engine, three speed column shift and bench seat) for about 20 years. That engine was bombproof - it ran on minimal maintenance and never, ever let me down. It had about a quarter of a million miles (yes, miles) on the clock when I bought it, and I had put another 400K on it by the time I sold it. I still see it driving around in Nelson from time to time.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 04:44 AM   #11
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I can only agree with Lion King. The focus on the mining industry, which is a relatively small employer and huge tax dodger had pushed the dollar to stratospheric highs which killed off much of manufacturing.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 04:45 AM   #12
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

GM sees no future in RHD in general.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 05:42 AM   #13
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I'm sure they have their reasons but it's not as if that's some style of vehicle they're bailing out of, it's countries. And having sold Opel to the French back in 2017 they've bailed out of a large LHD market as well.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 06:44 AM   #14
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I'm sure they have their reasons but it's not as if that's some style of vehicle they're bailing out of, it's countries. And having sold Opel to the French back in 2017 they've bailed out of a large LHD market as well.
IMO it's more like they are focusing on a couple of big markets where they make money, North America and China, and ignore those where they don't, Europe and Oceania.
Old 17th February 2020, 08:12 AM   #15
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

My neighbor has a Chevy SS, which is just a Holden Commodore, that he has properly rebadged as a Holden. The finishing touch is the license plate: TXHOLDN

It's a nice play on the states National Poker Game, Texas Hold'em, while also a nod to the car nerds who know what he has done.

The Chevy SS was never properly advertised in the US, as if GM brought it over to fail so they would have an additional excuse for killing Holden.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 10:01 AM   #16
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
My neighbor has a Chevy SS, which is just a Holden Commodore, that he has properly rebadged as a Holden. The finishing touch is the license plate: TXHOLDN

It's a nice play on the states National Poker Game, Texas Hold'em, while also a nod to the car nerds who know what he has done.

The Chevy SS was never properly advertised in the US, as if GM brought it over to fail so they would have an additional excuse for killing Holden.
GM's level of stupidity when it comes to Holden is unmatched. Several years ago, GM considered the idea of rebadging the Holden Ute and selling them in the U.S. This could have been an out of the park home run, done properly, by making it a Chevy and calling it an El Camino.
But no, that'd make far too much sense. So, when they did float the idea, it was going to be a Pontiac. Because, you know, Pontiac had a long history of making a car/truck hi-bred in way whatsoever. To this day I believe whoever is running GM has a bunch of Ford stock.
Old 17th February 2020, 10:16 AM   #17
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
To this day I believe whoever is running GM has a bunch of Ford stock.
Agreed.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 11:50 AM   #18
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
GM's level of stupidity when it comes to Holden is unmatched. Several years ago, GM considered the idea of rebadging the Holden Ute and selling them in the U.S. This could have been an out of the park home run, done properly, by making it a Chevy and calling it an El Camino.
But no, that'd make far too much sense. So, when they did float the idea, it was going to be a Pontiac. Because, you know, Pontiac had a long history of making a car/truck hi-bred in way whatsoever. To this day I believe whoever is running GM has a bunch of Ford stock.

Well, they actually did exactly that in South Africa with the model I had that I mentioned earlier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden..._(South_Africa)

A 1970 Holden HT Ute assembled in South Africa and
rebadged as a Chevrolet El Camino utility

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 01:47 PM   #19
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well, they actually did exactly that in South Africa with the model I had that I mentioned earlier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden..._(South_Africa)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...6988938%29.jpg
A 1970 Holden HT Ute assembled in South Africa and
rebadged as a Chevrolet El Camino utility
Which is odd in and of itself, since in 1970, Chevrolet was making the El Camino in the U.S. as well, albeit an entirely different platform (Chevy Chevelle based).
Trying to sell the Holden Ute as an El Camino while they were trying to sell Monaro's as GTO's would have been brilliant and likely boosted GTO sales as well as have guys lined up at Chevy dealers with cash in hand all day long. But no, some bonehead said it'd be a Pontiac, and the U.S. auto enthusiast market collectively scratched it's head and said, "What?"...
In the end, it didn't happen and the genius leadership decided to kill off the brand that invented the muscle car instead. And now they're going to kill off the last of the Down Under V-8's? Figures.

Last edited by Mike!; 17th February 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events