ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 06:47 PM   #641
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I've been saying since Ebola that Big Virusology would be creating more of these outbreaks to get rich off of the people.
Big Virusology worked to destroy the Trump Network (which sold custom vitamins whilst allowing Americans to get rich via multilevel marketing).

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thank goodness we have President Trump to keep us all calm during the Corona Hoax! People are saying that playing golf is a natural antiseptic and kills the virus. It's a beautiful thing! Beautiful!
So many people have also bought into the Exercise Hoax, even though the President, who could have been a famous medical research scientist, has proven that the body is more like a battery.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:04 PM   #642
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

What the hell?

I just saw the fiddling tweet. I had to read a couple of different articles to be sure that it was real. Trump actually tweeted that.

And then today his "the flu is worse" tweet.

What the hell is wrong with this dumbass?

ETA: I know, I know. You have all been trying to figure that out, too. I mean, you all knew that he was bad, and most of you think he's much worse than I usually call him, but this is just nuts.

Up until now, I've avoided criticizing his supporters, for the most part, but by the end of this epidemic I expect apology letters from everyone who voted for him.

Ok, technically, so far things aren't so bad. I said that whatever happens is his fault, or his credit. Technically, it hasn't gotten truly awful yet. If the epidemic would blow over tomorrow, then Trump would look like a genius. So if that happens, I'll say good things about him.

But my money is on the "total fiasco and a lot of dead people" outcome.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 9th March 2020 at 08:09 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 08:31 PM   #643
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
What the hell?

I just saw the fiddling tweet. I had to read a couple of different articles to be sure that it was real. Trump actually tweeted that.

And then today his "the flu is worse" tweet.

ETA: I know, I know. You have all been trying to figure that out, too. I mean, you all knew that he was bad, and most of you think he's much worse than I usually call him, but this is just nuts.

Up until now, I've avoided criticizing his supporters, for the most part, but by the end of this epidemic I expect apology letters from everyone who voted for him.

Ok, technically, so far things aren't so bad. I said that whatever happens is his fault, or his credit. Technically, it hasn't gotten truly awful yet. If the epidemic would blow over tomorrow, then Trump would look like a genius. So if that happens, I'll say good things about him.

How much time ya got?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 11:09 PM   #644
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Redundant question - you gave the answer: he's a dumbass. I'm absolutely certain he's bordering on mentally challenged status - he really is that stupid.

Have you seen his school reports?

If it doesn't turn out this way, Trump will credit himself and his supporters will credit their sky-fairy.

Even though that would be a revolting result, I wouldn't trade it for boatloads of corpses. Not that think it's a likely result - I'm with your analysis.
Old 9th March 2020, 11:33 PM   #645
angrysoba
Philosophile

It’s not just what’s wrong with the Dumbass-in-chief, it is what’s wrong with his party and his supporters who stand by him when he can’t open his mouth without scandalously stupid BS tumbling out at all times.

How is it not a matter of national scandal that he would rather leave people on a cruise ship to avoid the number of infected making his numbers look bad!?!

How has he not be reproached by his own party for doing his Kim Il sung on-the-spot routine at the CDC?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 12:16 AM   #646
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans in Congress or the White House self-qurantining is evidence that there are limits to the loyalty they have for Trump.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:23 AM   #647
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
How has he not be reproached by his own party for doing his Kim Il sung on-the-spot routine at the CDC?
Because he's set them up to deliver a knockout to Roe v Wade.

See: King Cyrus.
Old 10th March 2020, 05:17 AM   #648
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Redundant question - you gave the answer: he's a dumbass. I'm absolutely certain he's bordering on mentally challenged status - he really is that stupid.
And yet, in terms of raw IQ points, he isn't, or at least he wasn't. Maybe age has eliminated his mental abilities. His is an emotional/psychological issue.

Anyway, usually when he does something stupid, or something that is called stupid, I can see something behind it. People rant about how he's an idiot, or an evil SOB, or whatever else they say about him (usually true, but that's not the point). Meanwhile, I look and say, "Don't you see what he just did!" and I see some sort of plan, and usually a good one. He got himself elected president by doing "stupid" things, and at every stage people didn't realize what he was up to.

But the "fiddling" tweet? I can't make sense of it. The obvious connection is Nero, which is appropriate in multiple ways, but even if somehow that association was missed, I'm trying to come up with any way at all that in anyone's mind that image and that caption could sound good. As fear of an epidemic grips America, he tweets "You can't stop what's coming". What?

Usually I can see some sort of secret message or dog whistle, or just a poorly phrased point where what he really meant was not what he actually said.

This one, I can't see any way that it could look good, no matter how it's interpreted.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 05:44 AM   #649
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And yet, in terms of raw IQ points, he isn't, or at least he wasn't. ..snip...
How do you know this?
Old 10th March 2020, 05:51 AM   #650
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump demands Barr investigate the media for their coronavirus coverage.

How to respond to the virus? Tax cuts.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 05:54 AM   #651
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Tax cuts aren’t the only thing being done. Do you think a payroll tax cut is a bad idea?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:01 AM   #652
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Tax cuts aren’t the only thing being done. Do you think a payroll tax cut is a bad idea?
Why not wait until you see what Trump is going to put into place rather than the speculation?

ETA What has he done so far?
Old 10th March 2020, 06:32 AM   #653
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

yes, because the virus doesn't care whether you are employed or not.
Anything that isn't unconditional help for those affected is a bad idea.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:53 AM   #654
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Is there any doubt that the goal of the tax cut is to improve the stock market, rather than actually help people deal with the virus? There's already been a jump after the announcement.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:08 AM   #655
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why not wait until you see what Trump is going to put into place rather than the speculation?

ETA What has he done so far?
The sad thing is, he's dropped the ball and keeps trying to score. Trump could have used this as an opportunity, but failed on many levels.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:55 AM   #656
plague311
Great minds think...

Is there any doubt that the goal of the tax cut is to improve the stock market, rather than actually help people deal with the virus? There's already been a jump after the announcement.
And it's the only thing I've seen him truly complain about. It's not that big of a deal that people die, after all more die with the flu but it's the fact that it's making him look bad that's the problem. The only thing he can point to where intelligent folk think he's done a good job is the stock market. Other than that he's pretty much been horse ****.

Look at all of his tweets related to this and it's pretty clear. He couldn't give a **** less about the American people or if they live or die as long as he gets undeserved adulation.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:03 AM   #657
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Stop it!

This is what he always does, says something that hasn't happened as if it has happened. And then people start talking about them as if they have happened.

There are no tax cuts.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:30 AM   #658
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How do you know this?

Trump said so! It's not something he would lie about, is it?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:53 AM   #659
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Why don’t you think a payroll tax cut that helps everyone who is employed and probably the economy as a whole is not a good thing.
Every one will probably suffer if the economy really ranks.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:57 AM   #660
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why don’t you think a payroll tax cut that helps everyone who is employed and probably the economy as a whole is not a good thing.
You know when else would help the economy?
Infrastructure investment.

But if you want to address the epidemic instead of the economy, a payroll tax cut would be very ineffective.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:02 AM   #661
plague311
Great minds think...

How is it really going to help hourly people if they can't go to work? What is a few % on 2 paychecks a month really going to do?

Quote:
However, nearly three quarters of a 2% cut in the payroll would benefit the highest-earning households, those in the top fourth and fifth quintile of earners.
That's from Marketplace, and I'm failing to see how it would really help the people without paid sick leave when it largely benefits those in the top fourth or fifth that probably have paid sick leave already. Since, most of those people are salaried rather than hourly. Do you have data showing how it would benefit those people or is this just a "taxation is theft" type of deal where no matter what as long as taxes are cut it's a win-win for everyone?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:02 AM   #662
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Your parents just died of corona virus, but hey, you'll get a few extra bucks each month so that'll help.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:05 AM   #663
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You know when else would help the economy?
Infrastructure investment.
Public works project on the level of the New Deal. Bridges, electrical infrastructure, ports. Massive numbers of jobs, high visibility stuff that voters couldn't not notice, taps into the "working man / heartland" imagery the Republicans have been winning by misusing for a while now.

And the last time we tried that they guy who did was so popular we had to change the Constitution to keep us from electing him over and over.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 10th March 2020 at 09:09 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:10 AM   #664
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

I have a theory about his supporters, based on the observation of relatives and acquaintances who are members of that group. They believe that he is doing openly what politicians, lobbyists, and public officials have always done. They are convinced that no one in Washington gives a rat's-ass about what happens, unless it negatively impacts their possibility of continued employment.

What they miss is that Trump not only is solely concerned with his remaining in power, but will actively work against the best interests of the rest of the world to keep that power, to a level rarely seen outside of a fascist regime.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:25 AM   #665
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing prevents fascist voters to participate in democratic elections.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:26 AM   #666
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Trillion dollar deficits.

It's funny. I listen to Sean Hannity sometimes and during the election campaign he had a litany of things he would run through about how things sucked when Obama was President. One of the things in the list was always the huge debt. Curiously, he has a litany still, but never mentions deficits.

Even though the Laffer Curve is a work of fiction, it still might be instructive to look at it. There's a high point in the middle, not on one end.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:49 AM   #667
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

There is no guarantee that a payroll tax cut will actually benefit a majority of front-line workers. It may cause a few companies to hire more staff, but I suspect any benefits to the tax cuts will simply result in increased corporate profits.
Quote:
Yes they will. The question is what is the best way to deal with a faltering economy. We've already seen the republican tax cuts (including corporate taxes) that resulted in a huge increase in the deficit, where very little of the money went to the workers (but resulted in huge stock buybacks).

Meanwhile, U.S. infrastructure has significant problems... many roads and bridges need repairs, airports need upgrades, etc. Rather than giving millions to companies as payroll deductions, perhaps fixing basic infrastructure may be the better way to stimulate the economy.... it provides jobs, and at the end of the day you end up with, well, needed infrastructure.

https://www.businessinsider.com/asce...3#aviation-d-1

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #668
gregthehammer
Muse

Payroll taxes go towards Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. My thought: Is a payroll tax cut a backdoor way to slash these programs?
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:01 AM   #669
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Payroll taxes go towards Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. My thought: Is a payroll tax cut a backdoor way to slash these programs?
you cracked the code.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:02 AM   #670
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Your parents just died of corona virus, but hey, you'll get a few extra bucks each month so that'll help.

OOOOhhhhh, typical lie-beral spin, ignoring the fact that I also just made serious bank on my inheritances!

Old 10th March 2020, 10:04 AM   #671
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps.

What exactly IS a "payroll tax cut"? If they are just reducing the amount withheld, it's all going to come due a year from now.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:12 AM   #672
Random
Illuminator

I bet that there will be a big bailout for the tourism industry, with Trump Hotels being eligible for significant bags of cash. Any takers?
Old 10th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #673
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Is that what you thought when we did it before around 2011?

ETA I am sure when Obama did it it most Republicans condemned in and most liberals praised it.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 10th March 2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #674
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Perhaps.

What exactly IS a "payroll tax cut"? If they are just reducing the amount withheld, it's all going to come due a year from now.
I sincerely doubt it would work that way. It didn’t before.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 10th March 2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:24 AM   #675
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Random View Post
I bet that there will be a big bailout for the tourism industry, with Trump Hotels being eligible for significant bags of cash. Any takers?
I would not bet against you on that.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:31 AM   #676
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Didn't last long - it lost most of the early gains, now back to +300, which will also get crushed under the tsunami of money being taken out.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:33 AM   #677
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
There is no guarantee that a payroll tax cut will actually benefit a majority of front-line workers. It may cause a few companies to hire more staff, but I suspect any benefits to the tax cuts will simply result in increased corporate profits.

Yes they will. The question is what is the best way to deal with a faltering economy. We've already seen the republican tax cuts (including corporate taxes) that resulted in a huge increase in the deficit, where very little of the money went to the workers (but resulted in huge stock buybacks).

Meanwhile, U.S. infrastructure has significant problems... many roads and bridges need repairs, airports need upgrades, etc. Rather than giving millions to companies as payroll deductions, perhaps fixing basic infrastructure may be the better way to stimulate the economy.... it provides jobs, and at the end of the day you end up with, well, needed infrastructure.

https://www.businessinsider.com/asce...3#aviation-d-1
I wonder whose pockets do you think get filled with the most money with infrastructure improvements.
Payroll tax cuts do in the short term add to the workers pockets.
Search the internet for “Obama says payroll tax cuts add 1000 to average worker”.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:35 AM   #678
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder whose pockets do you think get filled with the most money with infrastructure improvements.
Payroll tax cuts do in the short term add to the workers pockets.
Search the internet for “Obama says payroll tax cuts add 1000 to average worker”.
Only if those workers are working.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:35 AM   #679
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Didn't last long - it lost most of the early gains, now back to +300, which will also get crushed under the tsunami of money being taken out.
I took all my money 401k money out of stocks a few days ago and am sure I am not alone.

Although I assumed once I took a more conservative approach the market would rebound because I seem to usually guess wrong. Like buying airline stocks a few weeks before 9/11.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 10th March 2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:36 AM   #680
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Only if those workers are working.
You are right but if it helps the economy hopefully more will be working.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics