ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 04:42 PM   #721
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 48,226
He just appointed Kushner to the CoronoVirus council....
If you want more proof that the Orange Fungus prizes personal loyalty above knowledge of competence, there you have it.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 04:43 PM   #722
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,674
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If Trump is not a imbecile, he is giving a damn good imitation of one.
No, he's just an imbecile.
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 04:54 PM   #723
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,403
More about the Covid-19 response of the "very stable genius," who promised to "hire the best people":

Quote:
President Donald Trump has been comprehensively misinforming the public about the coronavirus.

Trump has littered his public remarks on the life-and-death subject with false, misleading and dubious claims. And he has been joined, on occasion, by senior members of his administration.
We've counted 28 different ways the President and his team have been inaccurate. Here is a chronological list, which may be updated as additional misinformation comes to our attention.
Fact check: A list of 28 ways Trump and his team have been dishonest about the coronavirus (CNN, March 11, 2020)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 11th March 2020 at 04:57 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 04:54 PM   #724
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,048
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He just appointed Kushner to the CoronoVirus council....
If you want more proof that the Orange Fungus prizes personal loyalty above knowledge of competence, there you have it.
Well, after having solved the Middle East, Jared's bored.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 05:59 PM   #725
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,921
I'm confused as to which thread's which between this and the one discussing The Stand, because what Trump's doing is exactly what the POTUS did in that.

And see my sig.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 06:12 PM   #726
llwyd
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 652
Well, a travel ban with Europe - pretty good for a Democratic hoax... Will probably work wonders with the stock exchange and probably all the little viruses already in the US reading the Wall Street Journal will just drop dead. Excellent.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 06:16 PM   #727
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,913
Thank God Kushner's on the job! We can all rest easily now. Besides, according to Kellyanne, the virus has been contained.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 06:20 PM   #728
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,921
Too little, too late.

But holy slithering catfish, that's some serious economic pain going on there.

NZ isn't stopping them coming in. We're even past US standards when it comes to responding to this.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 06:55 PM   #729
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 48,226
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thank God Kushner's on the job! We can all rest easily now. Besides, according to Kellyanne, the virus has been contained.
You mean the NBA just suspended its season for nothing....

You can laugh but when something messes with one of America's favorite sports, the
Edited by Darat:  Breach of rule 10 removed.
has truly hit the fan.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by Darat; 12th March 2020 at 12:39 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:06 PM   #730
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,048
And yet...I just trawled through the local news in my area to gauge the panic. The followups to "Five suspected COVID patients in suburb!!!!" was "all five tested negative". The followup to "COMPANY CLOSING DUE TO COVID CASE AT HQ!!!!" was "the person has been tested and found negative, company reopening HQ tomorrow". And so forth.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:31 PM   #731
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,913
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive. I wonder where they picked it up?
;
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:37 PM   #732
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22,000
I listened to the speech. When Trump talks, I try and figure out how people who don't hate Trump will react. Here's what I got from the speech.

1. Xenophobia. That will play well with his hard core crazy base, but I think most swing voters are smart enough to figure out that even if his measures kept the virus out of the US for a while, it's here now, and that's what matters.

2. What I (i.e. Trump) am really worried about is the economy. Maybe those measures are good measures, or necessary measures, but the real threat to the economy is that people will be afraid to leave their homes and spend money (exception: hand sanitizer) so having lower taxes won't help. As for how people will react, I think they are afraid for their lives, so they aren't as concerned about taxes.

And, for anyone who isn't hard core crazy, there are going to be an awful lot of people saying, "Hey wait a minute. Last week you told us the flu was worse."

3. Wash your hands, etc. That part will play well, I would hope. I'm glad he said it. I would hope that some of the crazy, "It's just a hoax" crowd might even wake up to the danger because Trump is saying it. It needed to be done.

4. We have other measures for schools and such, but I'm not going to talk about them. That's going to be the real meat of the virus combatting efforts, but he ignored it.

5. We're so awesome it really isn't going to be a problem. Uhhh….yeah.

As far as political reaction, the hard core Trump lovers and Trump haters won't be swayed, but I think it will be a dud in the middle. I think he thinks that by going on TV and saying things himself, everyone will praise him and say how awesome he is, but in reality, I think a lot of people who were leaning toward criticizing him will be asking about the substance of the effort to defeat the virus. They know that banning flights from Europe and giving tax cuts won't cut it. They know he lost a lot of credibility with his rambling idiocy of last week, and if they were looking to restore some, he failed.

For those who were leaning toward supporting him, I think most of them were in denial and thinking that this was all overblown by the Trump hating media, but by doing the things he did, he's saying it is a big deal, when last week he seemed to downplay it.

For my personal reaction, he didn't do anything to convince me that he or the people he surrounds himself with have a clue. I'm glad he went on the air. I think that did some good, but I think any other president could have done better.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 11th March 2020 at 07:39 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:44 PM   #733
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,913
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I listened to the speech. When Trump talks, I try and figure out how people who don't hate Trump will react. Here's what I got from the speech.

1. Xenophobia. That will play well with his hard core crazy base, but I think most swing voters are smart enough to figure out that even if his measures kept the virus out of the US for a while, it's here now, and that's what matters.

2. What I (i.e. Trump) am really worried about is the economy. Maybe those measures are good measures, or necessary measures, but the real threat to the economy is that people will be afraid to leave their homes and spend money (exception: hand sanitizer) so having lower taxes won't help. As for how people will react, I think they are afraid for their lives, so they aren't as concerned about taxes.

And, for anyone who isn't hard core crazy, there are going to be an awful lot of people saying, "Hey wait a minute. Last week you told us the flu was worse."

3. Wash your hands, etc. That part will play well, I would hope. I'm glad he said it. I would hope that some of the crazy, "It's just a hoax" crowd might even wake up to the danger because Trump is saying it. It needed to be done.

4. We have other measures for schools and such, but I'm not going to talk about them. That's going to be the real meat of the virus combatting efforts, but he ignored it.

5. We're so awesome it really isn't going to be a problem. Uhhh….yeah.

As far as political reaction, the hard core Trump lovers and Trump haters won't be swayed, but I think it will be a dud in the middle. I think he thinks that by going on TV and saying things himself, everyone will praise him and say how awesome he is, but in reality, I think a lot of people who were leaning toward criticizing him will be asking about the substance of the effort to defeat the virus. They know that banning flights from Europe and giving tax cuts won't cut it. They know he lost a lot of credibility with his rambling idiocy of last week, and if they were looking to restore some, he failed.

For those who were leaning toward supporting him, I think most of them were in denial and thinking that this was all overblown by the Trump hating media, but by doing the things he did, he's saying it is a big deal, when last week he seemed to downplay it.

For my personal reaction, he didn't do anything to convince me that he or the people he surrounds himself with have a clue. I'm glad he went on the air. I think that did some good, but I think any other president could have done better.
Agreed. He also came across as wooden and just simply reading something he really wasn't understanding. His inflections, monotone and facial reactions weren't those of someone who really comprehended what was coming out of his mouth.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:56 PM   #734
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,327
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive. I wonder where they picked it up?
Well, they were tested here in Australia, so I would say the USA, because there are no valid tests there.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 08:50 PM   #735
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Elagabalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,933
As he delivered his speech, Trump looked pretty brain dead and robotic like maybe we should be looking in another room for Melakon.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:20 PM   #736
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 822
I'm starting to think that Trump's speech writer is purposefully trying to make him look even dumber than he already is (if that's even possible). Either that, or Trump's speech writer is actually Don Jr. (the fruit of the orange idiot's loins).

The entire speech was self-wanking verbal vomit with very little helpful/informational substance.




.... and I'm so relieved to find out that this virus only impacts China and the EU. You can breathe easy Brits! Apparently, the WuFlu (as per GOP internet zombies) can't travel across the English Channel.
__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:25 PM   #737
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,921
Scathing response from the money people:

...traders are hammering the sell button now thinking the U.S. government has fallen well behind the curve in its Covid-19 response.

Trump’s measures are so lightweight compared to what we’ve seen in countries like the U.K. -- we need Trump to be a general here, and markets needed to see something bi-partisan.

Markets had hoped Trump would provide the circuit breaker to this vicious cycle we’ve seen in markets -- but he just didn’t deliver.

Lots more here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:42 PM   #738
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,327
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
I'm starting to think that Trump's speech writer is purposefully trying to make him look even dumber than he already is (if that's even possible). Either that, or Trump's speech writer is actually Don Jr. (the fruit of the orange idiot's loins).

The entire speech was self-wanking verbal vomit with very little helpful/informational substance.




.... and I'm so relieved to find out that this virus only impacts China and the EU. You can breathe easy Brits! Apparently, the WuFlu (as per GOP internet zombies) can't travel across the English Channel.
Quote:
UK coronavirus cases jump to 456 and eighth Briton dies
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...th-briton-dies
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:46 PM   #739
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,473
Quote:
"This is the most aggressive and comprehensive effort to confront a foreign virus in modern history.” Not just a virus. A*foreign*virus.
Build the wall.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:50 PM   #740
AnonyMoose
Muse
 
AnonyMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Land of the Frozen Chosen
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Hoax! Fake news!

Trump says it's perfectly okay (no UK travel ban). And nobody knows medical stuff better than Dr. Trump.
__________________
"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." ~ Emo Phillips
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:55 PM   #741
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,327
Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Hoax! Fake news!

Trump says it's perfectly okay (no UK travel ban). And nobody knows medical stuff better than like Dr. Trump.
Closer.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:40 PM   #742
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 13,913
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
As he delivered his speech, Trump looked pretty brain dead and robotic like maybe we should be looking in another room for Melakon.
I still say he has a reading comprehension problem. He just reads the words off the teleprompter but doesn't understand what he's actually saying. That's why he's so stiff, measured, and monotone; they're just words with very little meaning. There were no natural pauses or inflections as would be normal.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 12:26 AM   #743
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,341
What I want to know from his speech is...

Quote:
Earlier this week, I met with the leaders of health insurance industry who have agreed to waive all copayments for coronavirus treatments, extend insurance coverage to these treatments, and to prevent surprise medical billing.
Does this mean that in principle, testing and treatment is free for the person needing it?

Does it only apply to people with insurance?

What is this "surprise medical billing"? Is this just a feature of the medical-insurance industry whereby people just find out by *surprise* that they can't afford to stay alive anymore?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 12:41 AM   #744
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,370
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Agreed. He also came across as wooden and just simply reading something he really wasn't understanding. His inflections, monotone and facial reactions weren't those of someone who really comprehended what was coming out of his mouth.
Have to remember that he wont have even read it through before going on air.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 12:44 AM   #745
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Elagabalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,933
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Have to remember that he wont have even read it through before going on air.

‘He’s gonna get us all killed’: sense of unease after Trump coronavirus speech


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...avirus-address
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 01:20 AM   #746
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I listened to the speech. When Trump talks, I try and figure out how people who don't hate Trump will react. Here's what I got from the speech.

1. Xenophobia.

Yes, I can see that it's not just for the Chinese anymore. We, Europeans, have been added to his list!

Quote:
"Taking early intense action we've seen dramatically fewer cases of the virus in the United States than are now present in Europe. The European Union failed to take the same precautions and restrict travel from China and other hotspots. As a result a large number of new clusters in the United States were [seeded] by travelers from Europe. After consulting with our top government health professionals I have decided to take several strong but necessary actions to protect the health and well-being of all Americans. To keep new cases from entering our shores, we will be suspending all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days."
Donald Trump's scapegoating coronavirus speech shows he just doesn't get it (CNN, March 12, 2020)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 01:40 AM   #747
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,749
President Trump eased a troubled nation, but you wouldn't know it listening to the corrupt MSM. I trust him far more than the Fake News. I'd let President Trump sneeze in my mouth. The Left is freaking out because jefe discovered a cure for CoronaVirus: tax cuts.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 01:45 AM   #748
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,921
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
President Trump eased a troubled nation...


Bollocks - he was more worried about a pen mark on his shirt.

And as to "easing the nation" futures went down another 1000 points after the announcement.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:03 AM   #749
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
What I want to know from his speech is...

Quote:
Earlier this week, I met with the leaders of health insurance industry who have agreed to waive all copayments for coronavirus treatments, extend insurance coverage to these treatments, and to prevent surprise medical billing.
Does this mean that in principle, testing and treatment is free for the person needing it?

Does it only apply to people with insurance?



What is this "surprise medical billing"? Is this just a feature of the medical-insurance industry whereby people just find out by *surprise* that they can't afford to stay alive anymore?
"For testing- not for treatment."

So...unless the insurance industry has changed its mind, just another

1) flat out lie from Trump, or

2) another case where he didn't understand something somebody told him- a health insurance executive said "testing," and Trump heard "treatment." Pretty basic goof from such a great brain...
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:17 AM   #750
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 28,973
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
What I want to know from his speech is...



Does this mean that in principle, testing and treatment is free for the person needing it?

Does it only apply to people with insurance?

What is this "surprise medical billing"? Is this just a feature of the medical-insurance industry whereby people just find out by *surprise* that they can't afford to stay alive anymore?
It's just Trump saying stuff and relying on other people to interpret it,.and make it happen. Likely nothing will come of it and it'll be yet another thing he says to curry favour like the middle class tax cut.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:39 AM   #751
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I still say he has a reading comprehension problem. He just reads the words off the teleprompter but doesn't understand what he's actually saying. That's why he's so stiff, measured, and monotone; they're just words with very little meaning. There were no natural pauses or inflections as would be normal.

I guess Trump just experienced a Dunning-Kruger moment.
Quote:
It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:45 AM   #752
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
President Trump eased a troubled nation, but you wouldn't know it listening to the corrupt MSM. I trust him far more than the Fake News. I'd let President Trump sneeze in my mouth. The Left is freaking out because jefe discovered a cure for CoronaVirus: tax cuts.

Brilliant! I guess from now on Sanders should not only avoid references to Castro. References to Denmark will be even worse!
By the way, Cuba now have its first (Italian) cases (Granma, March 11, 2020).
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 03:04 AM   #753
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,370
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post




Bollocks - he was more worried about a pen mark on his shirt.



And as to "easing the nation" futures went down another 1000 points after the announcement.
To be fair that was because they listened to what he said I.e. trade with Europe would be stopped as well as the travel ban.

Obviously we all misheard him because just a little bit later he said trade wouldn't stop!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 04:12 AM   #754
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 22,691
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
As he delivered his speech, Trump looked pretty brain dead and robotic like maybe we should be looking in another room for Melakon.
I've had that impression ever since his first robotic teleprompter speech.

For the reference:
It's from a Star Trek:TOS episode -- the one with the Nazis. (Patterns of Force)
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 04:34 AM   #755
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,827
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

What is this "surprise medical billing"? Is this just a feature of the medical-insurance industry whereby people just find out by *surprise* that they can't afford to stay alive anymore?
Surprise medical billing is a very common feature of the American health system. It's the patients responsibility to ensure that every treatment, doctor, drug, clinic, hospital, or any other medical service or product is covered by their insurance. It's not the hospitals responsibility to ensure that they are in network, and sometimes in network facilities will have out of network staff working there. So maybe the surgeon is covered, but not the anesthesiologist, so you get a surprise bill. Also common is the insurance refusing to cover bills they ought to and the patient having to get into long back and forth with the company, occasionally requiring legal action to enforce coverage.

I have no idea what is meant by Trump's copay comments though. I have a high deductible plan. I have to pay 100% of my treatment until I hit my deductible amount, which is thousands of dollars. These kinds of plans are very common in the US.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th March 2020 at 04:42 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 05:03 AM   #756
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,403
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Xenophobia.

Great Full Frontal with Samantha Bee today: Coronavirus is Not an Excuse to Be Racist
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 05:44 AM   #757
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 27,341
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
"For testing- not for treatment."

So...unless the insurance industry has changed its mind, just another

1) flat out lie from Trump, or

2) another case where he didn't understand something somebody told him- a health insurance executive said "testing," and Trump heard "treatment." Pretty basic goof from such a great brain...
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's just Trump saying stuff and relying on other people to interpret it,.and make it happen. Likely nothing will come of it and it'll be yet another thing he says to curry favour like the middle class tax cut.
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Surprise medical billing is a very common feature of the American health system. It's the patients responsibility to ensure that every treatment, doctor, drug, clinic, hospital, or any other medical service or product is covered by their insurance. It's not the hospitals responsibility to ensure that they are in network, and sometimes in network facilities will have out of network staff working there. So maybe the surgeon is covered, but not the anesthesiologist, so you get a surprise bill. Also common is the insurance refusing to cover bills they ought to and the patient having to get into long back and forth with the company, occasionally requiring legal action to enforce coverage.

I have no idea what is meant by Trump's copay comments though. I have a high deductible plan. I have to pay 100% of my treatment until I hit my deductible amount, which is thousands of dollars. These kinds of plans are very common in the US.
Jesus! So someone going into an ICU for two weeks and surviving could expect a bill of...how much does anyone reckon?

I mean, I am sure it depends on the insurance you have, but would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much the baseline cost would be?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:16 AM   #758
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,309
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think that did some good, but I think any other president Earth dwelling creature could have done better.
FTFY

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I still say he has a reading comprehension problem. He just reads the words off the teleprompter but doesn't understand what he's actually saying. That's why he's so stiff, measured, and monotone; they're just words with very little meaning. There were no natural pauses or inflections as would be normal.
I think that's just his version of being "somber" and stoic. I think when he does that he's trying to portray himself as the calm, rational man instead of the loud-mouthed raving dip ass he truly is.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:18 AM   #759
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,309
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Jesus! So someone going into an ICU for two weeks and surviving could expect a bill of...how much does anyone reckon?

I mean, I am sure it depends on the insurance you have, but would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much the baseline cost would be?
If you were to pay two weeks of ICU you'd be looking at anywhere between $300k-$500k if you're paying out of pocket. With insurance you'd hit your deductible at some point. Which, while still a few thousand (mine is $2,500, I've had a few that were between $4,000-$10,000), it wouldn't be...as bad...I guess?
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:23 AM   #760
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,902
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Jesus! So someone going into an ICU for two weeks and surviving could expect a bill of...how much does anyone reckon?

I mean, I am sure it depends on the insurance you have, but would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much the baseline cost would be?
My only experience with US healthcare was with an emergency visit to a New York hospital in 2012 when I contracted what was later determined to be Swine Flue when I got home to Sweden. My Swedish insurance wouldn't cover my stay, so I had to pay out of pocket about $1600 for an eight hour lie-down on a gurney and two sets of tests. Then I was told to go back to the hotel, where I stayed until the plane ride home.

Once I got home, I was immediately isolated and spent two weeks isolated in an infection clinic. Payed 100 SEK (about $10) for that.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.