ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2018, 03:06 AM   #1
NatalieSalat
New Blood

WDYT of Christmas ads with Christian elements?

Here's a British ad i found - even with my skeptic's unease about including the Nativity scene... did they have to to put all those pearl necklaces on that young girl?

Maybe they were trying to make the costume look homemade?

Most angels in the Christian myths might take exception to the idea that they wear pearls as that is what the gates of heaven are made of.

On a lighter note, if that little boy with the scarf had been the nativity angel, i doubt that they would have put those pearls on him :)

www(.)youtube.com(/)watch?v=tgORQLTshDI
NatalieSalat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Here is your youtube link:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning about the beads on the little girl in the school nativity play; I don't think it's symbolic of anything other than giving a shy girl the confidence to speak her line.

Having nativity plays in schools in a country where about half of the adults have no religious beliefs is just one of the strange things about Britain.
Old 6th January 2018, 08:51 AM   #3
The Big Dog
Suspended

That is kind of like asking what one thinks about Halloween ads with Halloween elements.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by NatalieSalat View Post
Here's a British ad i found - even with my skeptic's unease about including the Nativity scene... did they have to to put all those pearl necklaces on that young girl?

Maybe they were trying to make the costume look homemade?

Most angels in the Christian myths might take exception to the idea that they wear pearls as that is what the gates of heaven are made of.

On a lighter note, if that little boy with the scarf had been the nativity angel, i doubt that they would have put those pearls on him

www(.)youtube.com(/)watch?v=tgORQLTshDI
They look like a chain of beads to me.

But no idea what your point is?
Old 6th January 2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I found this OP very disturbing, until I figured out that by "pearl necklaces" you meant necklaces made out of pearls.
Old 6th January 2018, 06:34 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I found this OP very disturbing, until I figured out that by "pearl necklaces" you meant necklaces made out of pearls.
Which were actually something more like Mardi Gras beads. Ad was cute.
Old 6th January 2018, 06:34 PM   #7
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

That is kind of like asking what one thinks about Halloween ads with Halloween elements.
Who cares? St Patrick didn't really drive the snakes out of Ireland either. The whole nativity thing is part of the myth.
Old 6th January 2018, 06:52 PM   #8
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Who cares? St Patrick didn't really drive the snakes out of Ireland either. The whole nativity thing is part of the myth.
What an odd post. I mean you start a post with “who cares,” and then it goes downhill from there.

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 09:10 PM   #9
NatalieSalat
New Blood

Yeah My OP is parody/Poe's Law in action, sorry. Though i still don't think the little girl needed the "tertiary sexual characteristics" of those necklaces.
NatalieSalat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 10:01 PM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What an odd post. I mean you start a post with “who cares,” and then it goes downhill from there.

I don't think it's odd. The holiday is about the birth of a person with mythical powers who may or may not have lived 2000 years ago. From my perspective, Christmas is really a secular holiday and has been for at least a 100 years.
Old 6th January 2018, 10:05 PM   #11
NatalieSalat
New Blood

I do believe that a preacher called Jesus lived and was put to death by the Romans. but all that mystical Son of God and magic powers stuff was invented over a century after Jesus's death to promote a messianic cult.
Old 7th January 2018, 08:04 AM   #12
The Big Dog
Suspended

Anti-theists have been deluding themselves that Christmas is not a religious festival and have been doing so for a long time to avoid addressing the raging hypocrisy of celebrating it.
Old 7th January 2018, 02:10 PM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Anti-theists have been deluding themselves that Christmas is not a religious festival and have been doing so for a long time to avoid addressing the raging hypocrisy of celebrating it.
Really? Tell me what is religious about Santa, A Christmas Carol, Rudolph, Trees, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Holiday Shopping, etc...etc..etc.

Christmas itself may be a religious holiday to some but the vast majority of people don't actually celebrate it in anyway remotely associated with Jesus. I grew up in a religious family and no one even mentioned Jesus on Christmas. One of my closest friends is Jewish and he celebrates Christmas every year, but he doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus.

I love the holiday. We drink, we eat, we laugh, we exchange presents. Its fun. Call me a hypocrite. I don't care that the original point of the holiday was religious. Just because it was originally religious doesn't mean it has to stay religious.
Old 7th January 2018, 06:56 PM   #14
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

I do not celebrate Christmas at all so I am hypocrisy free in that respect. It should though be noted that pagans were celebrating the Winter
Solstice long before Augustine upon threat of death tried to force them to convert to Christianity and celebrate the birthday of Jesus instead
Old 7th January 2018, 07:00 PM   #15
NatalieSalat
New Blood

Like I said, I'm willing to believe that there was a real preacher in Roman Palestine called Jesus and that he was put to death. I just think all that Son of God/mystical powers thing was created over a century after his death in order to promote a cult.
Old 7th January 2018, 09:18 PM   #16
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by surreptitious57 View Post
I do not celebrate Christmas at all so I am hypocrisy free in that respect. It should though be noted that pagans were celebrating the Winter
Solstice long before Augustine upon threat of death tried to force them to convert to Christianity and celebrate the birthday of Jesus instead
I don't think it is hypocritical to enjoy the holiday. I never sat on Jesus's lap at the mall when I was a kid. Jesus isn't mentioned in Twas the Night before Christmas or A Christmas Carol. I've never said a prayer when selecting or decorating a Christmas tree.i don't care about St Valentine or St Patrick either.
Old 9th January 2018, 07:38 AM   #17
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Having nativity plays in schools in a country where about half of the adults have no religious beliefs is just one of the strange things about Britain.
You can say that again. I still have vivid memories of being roped into a glove puppet version of the nativity story at primary school - I played the part of a shepherd and made the puppet myself (papier mache head, body made out of cloth from a yellow curtain). Even at the age of eight I found the whole thing silly and bizarre.
Old 11th January 2018, 02:28 PM   #18
Thor 2
Illuminator

Now you know that Christmas was not celebrated on Dec 25th until the year 336 don't you ..... The Big Dog? This was during the reign of Emperor Constantine.

Of course you know that Dec 25 was regarded as significant before this because it showed the first significant elevation of the Sun from its low point at the winter solstice. Rebirth of the Sun/Birth of the son of God ...... sort of melding of two themes here, given that nobody had any idea of what year Jesus was born let alone what time of year.

Of course you could argue that it was the correct date, because Pope Julius said it was a few years later, and he may have been using his infallible thing at the time. A bit odd however that he did not come up with it first.
Old 11th January 2018, 04:27 PM   #19
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Expect some pretzel logic from TBD.
Old 11th January 2018, 04:33 PM   #20
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Expect some pretzel logic from TBD.

Dont post in a thread for several days and find a post with zero context accusing me of using pretzel logic. Oh well....

Last edited by The Big Dog; 11th January 2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11th January 2018, 05:00 PM   #21
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Christmas ads with a christian theme don't bother me. There aren't that many.

However, despite what TBD insinuates, I had a lovely Christmas vacation with my family. There was quite literally 0 christian elements to it, other than the word 'Christmas'.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 05:12 PM   #22
Thor 2
Illuminator

OK I will help you out of your confusion here The Big Dog.

pretzel logic

Fallible, twisted or circular reasoning that when dissected is wrong, does not make sense or does not explain the situation rationally.

Glad I could help with that.
Old 12th January 2018, 02:45 PM   #23
Thor 2
Illuminator

Dont post in a thread for several days and find a post with zero context accusing me of using pretzel logic. Oh well....

Oh I see! Now you have added that line I get the impression you didn't realise TheGoldcountry was responding to my post #18. Did you?

Maybe you block my posts out because you never respond to them.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:48 PM   #24
NatalieSalat
New Blood

I find it interesting that parents raise concerns about mall Santas molesting their kids, but have no qualms about complaining that people on children's' TV with visible disabilities scare their children and should be sacked just because they are not able-bodied.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:03 PM   #25
fagin
Philosopher

Wut?
Old 13th January 2018, 12:04 AM   #26
Thor 2
Illuminator

What indeed?

Perhaps NatalieSalat can flesh this out a bit for us?
Old 13th January 2018, 04:02 AM   #27
baron
Philosopher

I find it interesting that parents raise concerns about mall Santas molesting their kids, but have no qualms about complaining that people on children's' TV with visible disabilities scare their children and should be sacked just because they are not able-bodied.
I think if all 'mall Santas' were quadriplegic, this would solve both problems.
Old 13th January 2018, 03:26 PM   #28
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

I’m funny about Christmas. Yes, I’m aware it has its origins as a Pagan Winter Festival/celebration, but since it was hijacked by Christianity it’s always had Christian undertones, even now. I loathe all religions on some level, but - although they’re MUCH less overt now - I can tolerate some elements of the Christian myth at Christmas, simply because it’s traditional and I have grown up with them and I associate them with Christmas, which is a celebration I really, really enjoy.

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 04:14 PM   #29
NatalieSalat
New Blood

I was referring to what happened with Cerrie Burnell.
Old 13th January 2018, 04:39 PM   #30
The Big Dog
Suspended

That is like some kind of dada poetry
Old 13th January 2018, 04:42 PM   #31
fagin
Philosopher

I was referring to what happened with Cerrie Burnell.
Who?
Old 14th January 2018, 01:22 AM   #32
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Travel.

Come and visit England, over christmas. Have fun trying to convince people it is a religious festival.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 02:00 AM   #33
fagin
Philosopher

Or come now. Easter stuff is already in the shops. They are full of religious iconography.

Bunnies and eggs.
Old 14th January 2018, 09:08 AM   #34
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Travel.

Come and visit England, over christmas. Have fun trying to convince people it is a religious festival.
I find that rather hard to believe, as I am quite sure that the English are intelligent people who know that CHRISTmas celebrates the nativity of our lord Jesus Christ.
Old 14th January 2018, 10:30 AM   #35
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

I find that rather hard to believe, as I am quite sure that the English are intelligent people who know that CHRISTmas celebrates the nativity of our lord Jesus Christ.
It’s not as overt as it used to be, but there are still Nativity Plays widely performed at Primary Schools; radio stations and Music TV channels still play the religious-based carols; and you can still buy religious Christmas Cards. It’s there, but you have to look hard, but the vast majority of British people are aware it is a ‘religious holiday’ somewhere under all the tinsel.

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 10:55 AM   #36
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

They DON'T care. To them, it's more about the wonderful birth of a child. It could be any child.
Old 14th January 2018, 11:30 AM   #37
The Big Dog
Suspended

They DON'T care. To them, it's more about the wonderful birth of a child. It could be any child.
I am constantly delighted with the fact the England has appointed a single spokesman to tell us what they think.
Old 14th January 2018, 12:41 PM   #38
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Englishman here. Who doesn’t care about what now?

Old 14th January 2018, 02:42 PM   #39
fagin
Philosopher

I am constantly delighted with the fact the England has appointed a single spokesman to tell us what they think.
He speaks for me, and AFAIK, everyone I know.

I don't know anyone who goes to church, or is religious in any way.

Christmas is all about turkeys, mince pies (with no mince, obviously), flashing lights, crappy tunes and presents.
Old 14th January 2018, 04:18 PM   #40
NatalieSalat
New Blood

My favourite quote from those nutters on the far left is that Islam is a sort of a race because it's largely practiced by brown people, Yet those same people say at the same time that Christianity is not a race just because a lot of white people support it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy