ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2018, 05:38 PM   #281
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If it doesn't fit all around the circle it's useless.

ETA: I know, let's change pi!

Well it used to be 3 if you read your Bible but God got the ***** about something man did, and made it that ridiculous number 3.141592654....... without end to teach us a lesson.
Old 9th January 2018, 06:14 PM   #282
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I was sad in the UK when I realized shillings and sixpence were obsolete. And what about guineas?
The big mistake was abandoning twenty groats to a mark.
Old 9th January 2018, 06:29 PM   #283
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
The greater mistake was abandoning forty groats to a mark.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 10:23 PM   #284
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

How many groats to a cluster?
Old 11th January 2018, 03:47 PM   #285
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
That's a new one on me.

360 deg = 2Pi radians = 6.2832 radians = 6283.2 milliradians ? (a very rough approximation)

I think we should never have invented degrees because the radian is the natural unit.
Lodge a complaint with the ancient Babylonians.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 03:50 PM   #286
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Not really metric or imperial, but when announcing the time "half nine" means 8:30 to Dutch (and therefore Afrikanns) people but 9:30 to Brits (and therefore British South Africans). This could cause problems when scheduling meetings, but luckily the two groups don't talk to each other very often.

It's more correct in England to say, "half past nine" but the version without "past" would be interpreted by everyone here as just a shorthand way of saying the full version. I don't know if the phrase is used in North America, and if so what its meaning is.
Agree about the Dutch. German is even worse. When a German says "viertel neun" ("quarter nine") he means 8:15; not to be confused with "viertel vor neun" (quarter before nine) which obviously is 8:45.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 11:51 PM   #287
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Agree about the Dutch. German is even worse. When a German says "viertel neun" ("quarter nine") he means 8:15; not to be confused with "viertel vor neun" (quarter before nine) which obviously is 8:45.
You mean "9:15", right? That's the only way that would make some inkling of sense...
Old 12th January 2018, 12:39 AM   #288
Octavo
Illuminator

Afrikaans has this too as ceptimus mentioned.

Half agt 7:30
Kwart voor agt 7:45
Agt huur: 8:00
Kwart oor agt 8:15
Half nege 8:30
Old 12th January 2018, 12:50 AM   #289
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
You mean "9:15", right? That's the only way that would make some inkling of sense...
No, I really do mean 8:15. You should understand it as "one quarter on the way to nine".

Old 12th January 2018, 01:53 AM   #290
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
No, I really do mean 8:15. You should understand it as "one quarter on the way to nine".
Same in Czech language. Although there is always preposition. (čtvrt na devět)

Engine: Ibalgin 400

Last edited by Klimax; 12th January 2018 at 01:55 AM.
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 02:07 AM   #291
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Same in Czech language. Although there is always preposition. (čtvrt na devět)
But then, I guess, in the same style as in Dutch or Afrikaans?

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Afrikaans has this too as ceptimus mentioned.
And for completeness' sake also the Dutch versions:

AfrikaansNumbersDutch
Half agt7:30Half acht
Kwart voor agt7:45Kwart voor acht
Agt huur:8:00Acht uur
Kwart oor agt8:15Kwart over acht
Half nege8:30Half negen

And now as homework, what time does Dutch "acht over half negen" mean?

Old 12th January 2018, 02:13 AM   #292
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it was forty groats to the mark. One pound was sixty groats, and a mark was two thirds of a pound. The groat was fourpence, the pound was two hundred and forty pence.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 08:56 AM   #293
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

That's a new one on me.

360 deg = 2Pi radians = 6.2832 radians = 6283.2 milliradians ? (a very rough approximation)

I think we should never have invented degrees because the radian is the natural unit.
Been kicking around since WW1. Using 6400 allows for easy sub-division but is close enough for government work (i.e. killing folk at long range!)

An artillery piece adjusting fire 200m left or right at 20km range adjusts 10 mils in the required direction. try working that out in your head using a more precise measurement of the milliradian.

Even in in a high-tech synchrotron the motion control for devices known as Insertion Devices, the PLCs use a simple separation between the magnets divided by the separation between the mounting posts to calculate the angle.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 01:40 PM   #294
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Been kicking around since WW1. Using 6400 allows for easy sub-division but is close enough for government work (i.e. killing folk at long range!)

An artillery piece adjusting fire 200m left or right at 20km range adjusts 10 mils in the required direction. try working that out in your head using a more precise measurement of the milliradian.

Even in in a high-tech synchrotron the motion control for devices known as Insertion Devices, the PLCs use a simple separation between the magnets divided by the separation between the mounting posts to calculate the angle.

Yes I take your point. It sure does make the calculation easier.

Easier to calculate and use 10 mils than 0.05625 degree or 0 degree, 3 minutes, 22 seconds.
Old 12th January 2018, 04:45 PM   #295
ceptimus
puzzler

Computer programmers sometimes use 'brads' (binary radians). The circle is divided into 256 or 65536 equal parts called brads. The numbers are what fit into eight or sixteen bits. Sometimes other powers of two are chosen but those are the most common. The advantage is that when angles in brads are added or subtracted and the answer comes to more than a complete rotation or a negative rotation, the resulting angle discarding the carry or borrow bit is always in the normal range for one circle. Often the computer will calculate sines, cosines, arctangents, ( or look them up in pre-calculate tables ) using the same Brad angle units.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #296
Senex
Philosopher

Alright then. Looking through the thread it appears imperial wins yet again. Thread closed. Move on, nothing to see here.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM   #297
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Alright then. Looking through the thread it appears imperial wins yet again. Thread closed. Move on, nothing to see here.

Nope.

That just moves us into Round Two.

Which imperial?

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #298
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Nope.

That just moves us into Round Two.

Which imperial?

The imperial that won two world wars and got us to the moon.The imperial that makes us sleep well at night.

That imperial.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #299
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The imperial that won two world wars and got us to the moon.The imperial that makes us sleep well at night.

That imperial.
Which in the USA is commonly called "English".
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #300
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Which in the USA is commonly called "English".
The part that saved everyone''s asses.

It's too late to jump on our bang wagon.

We rock!

Last edited by Senex; Yesterday at 10:20 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #301
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

We rock!
To bottom.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #302
rdaneel
Illuminator

We rock!
Wow! I never realized how into imperial some people are, and I'm an American.
- Agatha Heterodyne
"Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten." - Terry Pratchett
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #303
Thor 2
Illuminator

That imperial.

The imperial that is rejected by USA scientists, who use metric now.
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #304
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The imperial that is rejected by USA scientists, who use metric now.
Because US scientists aren't stupid - SI units FTW
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #305
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Imperial pints for all.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #306
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Imperial pints for all.
Brit ones at least, who wants less beer...?
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #307
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Imperial pints for all.

Baaa .... pints are for pussies. Give me a 1 litre German mass beer.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #308
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Just for the heck of it, 42C in my city today. 45C+ in the north west.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #309
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Move to Canberra - 37.1C. Nice and cool.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #310
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Move to Canberra - 37.1C. Nice and cool.
-37.1C? Bloody hell.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #311
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

We rock!
Not so fast, Senex! The Russians have jumped on our bandwagon:

Quote:
[Update: Russian high altitude airspace changed to Flight Levels calibrated in feet. In 2017, all Russian airspace from the surface up, began transitioning to feet.]
https://aerosavvy.com/metric-imperial/

How horrible it must be to lose the SpaceRace™ AND suffer the added humiliation of having to concede the superiority of the foot!

As to the other countries - acquiesce or prepare to be stomped!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:13 AM   #312
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

-6° C here as I watch the sun go up. Glistening over ten inches of snow. From Wednesday.

Normally it would be around 5° C, and rising. And any snow that had been belligerent enough to show its face two days ago would have been nothing but a damp memory by yesterday afternoon.
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #313
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Not so fast, Senex! The Russians have jumped on our bandwagon:

https://aerosavvy.com/metric-imperial/
All commie science programs have been based on stealing our stuff for a long time so changing to our units saves them a step.
Quote:
How horrible it must be to lose the SpaceRace™ AND suffer the added humiliation of having to concede the superiority of the foot!

As to the other countries - acquiesce or prepare to be stomped!!
Commie units have been discredited by our win.

We only stomp evil countries that need to be stomped. That's what separates us from everyone else.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology