ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:27 AM   #241
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Funny. Metrification here occurred 1876. Use of older units didn't survive at all. There are no traces of them nowadays and it is unlikely they would be found even in early 20th century. Adoption was quite rapid.

That's why use of outdated units seems so odd for some supposedly First world countries...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 11:36 AM   #242
Steve
Illuminator

Search for a free program called convert.exe. It will do just about any conversion most people are likely to encounter in life, including metric/imperial. It even includes a fairly comprehensive list of conversions used in scientific and engineering fields. I use it often at work. And it can be fun to play with.

Examples:

convert stone(s) to pennyweight, carats, or grams.
convert meters to lightyears, parsecs or furlongs.
convert leap years to nanoseconds or fortnights.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:39 AM   #243
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I've been doing a lot of SI slagging in this thread, but even for me, calling a thousandth of an inch a "mill" is truly beyond the pale.*

* A "mill" is a millimetre. It's in the name. And can lead to considerable confusion - some folks across the pond probably thought you were actually talking about millimeters. I fear for your safety, my friend ...
It's "mil" NOT "mill".

The mil was advocated for in the 19th century in an attempt to get machinists to decimalize inches and stop using fractions especially 64ths of an inch (I still have on old L.S. Starett machinists scale with 64ths on it).

I hate that units name and try to always say "thou" instead of "mil" when I'm talking about thousandths of an inch, however due to decades of saying mil in the context of PCB traces and plastic film thickness I often slip back to mil.

Last edited by paulhutch; 8th January 2018 at 11:43 AM.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 11:42 AM   #244
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Or Huns.
They certainly would have used 9mm if they had the opportunity.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 11:49 AM   #245
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I've been doing a lot of SI slagging in this thread, but even for me, calling a thousandth of an inch a "mill" is truly beyond the pale.*

* A "mill" is a millimetre. It's in the name. And can lead to considerable confusion - some folks across the pond probably thought you were actually talking about millimeters. I fear for your safety, my friend ...
I make a point of using "thou" when talking about that unit of distance.

ETA Ninja'd by Paulhutch
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:46 PM   #246
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Search for a free program called convert.exe. It will do just about any conversion most people are likely to encounter in life, including metric/imperial. It even includes a fairly comprehensive list of conversions used in scientific and engineering fields. I use it often at work. And it can be fun to play with.

Examples:

convert stone(s) to pennyweight, carats, or grams.
convert meters to lightyears, parsecs or furlongs.
convert leap years to nanoseconds or fortnights.
My long-time favorite.
Old 8th January 2018, 03:31 PM   #247
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I make a point of using "thou" when talking about that unit of distance.

ETA Ninja'd by Paulhutch

That was/is always the case in Australia from my observation.
Old 8th January 2018, 03:35 PM   #248
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
In pounds and ounces, of course. What else?

You seem to be at odds with Craig B on this who is comfortable with dividing the stone into fractions. Down to a 64th of a stone perhaps?
Old 8th January 2018, 03:49 PM   #249
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
using mills as a length measurement is confusing because there is the mil angular measurement (6400 mils = 360 deg). derived from it's approximation to a milliradian.

That's a new one on me.

360 deg = 2Pi radians = 6.2832 radians = 6283.2 milliradians ? (a very rough approximation)

I think we should never have invented degrees because the radian is the natural unit.
Old 8th January 2018, 03:58 PM   #250
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
That's a new one on me.

360 deg = 2Pi radians = 6.2832 radians = 6283.2 milliradians ? (a very rough approximation)

I think we should never have invented degrees because the radian is the natural unit.
The degree is sort of a natural unit. About a day's orbit.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 05:53 PM   #251
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I remember using "kips" in some structural analysis classes in the early 90's. Obviously, these were kilo pounds, because "tons" was just too muddied at this point.
The term is still used when discussing drawworks weights in the oilfield.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 06:20 PM   #252
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
There's one notable exception: PDP-11 machine language. The PDP-11 had 8 registers and 8 addressing modes which were each coded as a sequence of 3 bits, so writing out the value of an instruction in octal neatly gave you one octal digit for the (source or target) register and one octal digit for the addressing mode.
I'll remember that the next time I get a job programming the PDP-11. Any day now.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 06:21 PM   #253
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Search for a free program called convert.exe. It will do just about any conversion most people are likely to encounter in life, including metric/imperial.
Not unlike Google.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 06:27 PM   #254
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Not unlike Google.
Quite unlike google
Old 8th January 2018, 06:36 PM   #255
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Quite unlike google...
...in that it works even when my ISP* doesn't.

*"Internet Service Provider", which is a very funny description for a company that doesn't understand any of those words.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:40 PM   #256
Noztradamus
Illuminator

That's a new one on me.

That's messy. Make 360=6 radians.
Old 9th January 2018, 12:45 AM   #257
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
The term is still used when discussing drawworks weights in the oilfield.
Yes but a geophysicist friend told me that reciprocal speed in microseconds per foot are also used in that industry.
Old 9th January 2018, 01:45 AM   #258
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

You seem to be at odds with Craig B on this who is comfortable with dividing the stone into fractions. Down to a 64th of a stone perhaps?
I've never heard of anyone buying potatoes by the stone, but, yes, it wouldn't be unusual to talk about half or quarter of a stone, especially if it was in addition to a whole number of stone. Any finer division and you'd probably switch to pounds and ounces.

In weighing myself, I'd generally go to a quarter stone (although the scale is marked sub-divisions of pounds, between the stone markers).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 9th January 2018 at 01:47 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:54 AM   #259
EHocking
Philosopher

Yes but a geophysicist friend told me that reciprocal speed in microseconds per foot are also used in that industry.
Geophysicists do tend to try a little too hard to look good in front of the floor crew.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:57 AM   #260
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
I'll remember that the next time I get a job programming the PDP-11. Any day now.
Or PDP-8.

I remember having to bootstrap the PDP-8 by toggling (literally, flipping toggle switches to set the bits in each 12-bit word) in the paper-tape loading program so we could then load our project programs.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 02:51 AM   #261
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I've never heard of anyone buying potatoes by the stone, but, yes, it wouldn't be unusual to talk about half or quarter of a stone, especially if it was in addition to a whole number of stone. Any finer division and you'd probably switch to pounds and ounces.

In weighing myself, I'd generally go to a quarter stone (although the scale is marked sub-divisions of pounds, between the stone markers).
Per wiki:
In England, merchants traditionally sold potatoes in half-stone increments of 7 pounds.
In Scotland too, and the practice was absolutely normal into the fifties, or perhaps later, as I remember from daily experience.

Last edited by Craig B; 9th January 2018 at 03:03 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 02:59 AM   #262
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Per wiki:
In England, merchants traditionally sold potatoes in half-stone increments of 7 pounds.
In Scotland too, and the practice was absolutely normal into the fifties, or perhaps later, as I remember from daily experience. The shops had weights for the pans of their scales.
Notice here, that a set of these scales is being sold, with weights to a total of a quarter stone, as a typical example of daily use, no doubt.

Last edited by Craig B; 9th January 2018 at 03:01 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 05:46 AM   #263
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

I do a fair amount of PC board layout, and mills cause me endless grief, especially since I tend to actually say "mils" when referring to millimeters.

It doesn't help that I prefer using the Metric system, but most components have lead spacings essentially based on Imperial units.

I blame America, and to some extent, the UK, for insidiously keeping the Imperial system alive on the micro scale
Old 9th January 2018, 08:31 AM   #264
ceptimus
puzzler

Above one or two stones (except when weighing people), it was normal to switch to hundredweight. A hundredweight is eight stones which is a hundred and twelve pounds. You bought things like sand, cement, or coal by the hundredweight, or half-hundredweight. There are twenty hundredweight in an imperial ton, which makes a ton equal to two thousand two hundred and forty pounds.

I don't think we've mentioned yet the different sorts of ounces. There are twelve troy ounces to the pound - and these are the kind of ounces gold is traditionally weighed in. Again we see the American's preference for large numbers as they often talk of 'three hundred ounces' of gold, rather than 'twenty five pounds.' The grocery store ounce (avoirdupois) there are sixteen to the pound - but what a lot of people don't know is that the two pounds are also different - the avoirdupois pound is about 21.5% heavier than the troy pound - so both the ounces and the pounds are different.

Last edited by ceptimus; 9th January 2018 at 08:34 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 09:01 AM   #265
rustypouch
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Above one or two stones (except when weighing people), it was normal to switch to hundredweight. A hundredweight is eight stones which is a hundred and twelve pounds. You bought things like sand, cement, or coal by the hundredweight, or half-hundredweight. There are twenty hundredweight in an imperial ton, which makes a ton equal to two thousand two hundred and forty pounds.

I don't think we've mentioned yet the different sorts of ounces. There are twelve troy ounces to the pound - and these are the kind of ounces gold is traditionally weighed in. Again we see the American's preference for large numbers as they often talk of 'three hundred ounces' of gold, rather than 'twenty five pounds.' The grocery store ounce (avoirdupois) there are sixteen to the pound - but what a lot of people don't know is that the two pounds are also different - the avoirdupois pound is about 21.5% heavier than the troy pound - so both the ounces and the pounds are different.
Here's another source of confusion.

In North America, hundredweight is used in the cattle industry to trade, value, and describe livestock. In this case, it's 100 pounds.
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 09:25 AM   #266
ceptimus
puzzler

Not really metric or imperial, but when announcing the time "half nine" means 8:30 to Dutch (and therefore Afrikanns) people but 9:30 to Brits (and therefore British South Africans). This could cause problems when scheduling meetings, but luckily the two groups don't talk to each other very often.

It's more correct in England to say, "half past nine" but the version without "past" would be interpreted by everyone here as just a shorthand way of saying the full version. I don't know if the phrase is used in North America, and if so what its meaning is.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 11:01 AM   #267
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think we've mentioned yet the different sorts of ounces. There are twelve troy ounces to the pound - and these are the kind of ounces gold is traditionally weighed in.
And those are Troy pounds, which are not the same as avoirdupois pounds! According to convert.exe 1 troy pound is 0.8228571 lb avdp. Or 0.05877551 stone.

To twist an old riddle, which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold? Well, it's the feathers.
Old 9th January 2018, 11:54 AM   #268
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Notice here, that a set of these scales is being sold, with weights to a total of a quarter stone, as a typical example of daily use, no doubt.

They must be very popular. I see that they're sold out.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 11:58 AM   #269
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Not really metric or imperial, but when announcing the time "half nine" means 8:30 to Dutch (and therefore Afrikanns) people but 9:30 to Brits (and therefore British South Africans). This could cause problems when scheduling meetings, but luckily the two groups don't talk to each other very often.

It's more correct in England to say, "half past nine" but the version without "past" would be interpreted by everyone here as just a shorthand way of saying the full version. I don't know if the phrase is used in North America,

We say "9:30."

Quote:
and if so what its meaning is.

It means "9:30."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:30 PM   #270
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post

You can't make the radian what you like. It is a natural unit determined by the ratio of the radius to the arc. 360 degrees equals 2Pi radians or 6.28318 ....
Old 9th January 2018, 01:38 PM   #271
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You can't make the radian what you like. It is a natural unit determined by the ratio of the radius to the arc. 360 degrees equals 2Pi radians or 6.28318 ....
Or just use gradians, which were introduced by revolutionary France along with the rest of the Metric system.
Old 9th January 2018, 01:46 PM   #272
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
We say "9:30."

It means "9:30."
Well sometimes I and others I know say, "half past nine" instead of "nine thirty" but never "half nine". The other common fractional times I use and hear are "quarter past nine" instead of "nine fifteen" and "quarter of ten" instead of "nine forty-five".
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:48 PM   #273
ceptimus
puzzler

Yes, but you can alter the degree so that one degree equals a sixtieth of a radian. Makes the degree a bit awkward so that they don't fit around circles properly - but you can't have everything.
Old 9th January 2018, 02:38 PM   #274
Minoosh
Philosopher

Sarcasm?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 02:39 PM   #275
Minoosh
Philosopher

Yes, but you can alter the degree so that one degree equals a sixtieth of a radian. Makes the degree a bit awkward so that they don't fit around circles properly - but you can't have everything.
If it doesn't fit all around the circle it's useless.

ETA:
I know, let's change pi!

Last edited by Minoosh; 9th January 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 02:48 PM   #276
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's been tried.
Old 9th January 2018, 02:49 PM   #277
Minoosh
Philosopher

I was sad in the UK when I realized shillings and sixpence were obsolete. And what about guineas?
Old 9th January 2018, 03:00 PM   #278
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I was sad in the UK when I realized shillings and sixpence were obsolete. And what about guineas?
The coins went, as currency, long before decimalisation, but the amount is still in use in some circles, at livestock auctions for example. I believe the buyer pays the price in guineas, with the seller getting the price in pounds and the auctioneer getting the difference as their fee.
Old 9th January 2018, 03:24 PM   #279
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The coins went, as currency, long before decimalisation, but the amount is still in use in some circles, at livestock auctions for example. I believe the buyer pays the price in guineas, with the seller getting the price in pounds and the auctioneer getting the difference as their fee.
Yes 21 shillings, the seller gets 1 pound, the auctioneer gets 1 shilling.
Old 9th January 2018, 03:53 PM   #280
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Yes 21 shillings, the seller gets 1 pound, the auctioneer gets 1 shilling.
Reminds me of a joke where an impoverished lawyer in London passed away. His fellows started a collection to cover the funeral costs. When they approached a local judge with a request for a shilling, he replied, "Only a shilling to bury a lawyer? Here's a guinea--go bury twenty more!"
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology