ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Hypatia stone , meteorites

Old 12th January 2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Cheetah
Muse

Somewhat like a fruitcake that has fallen off a shelf into some flour and cracked

The Hypatia Stone analized.

Some exiting and unexpected news from the University of Johannesburg.

Quote:
Analyses on a small pebble found in south-west Egypt cast significant questions on a widely-held view about the primitive pre-solar dust cloud which our Sun, Earth and other planets were formed from.
Quote:
"The aluminum occurs in pure metallic form, on its own, not in a chemical compound with other elements. As a comparison, gold occurs in nuggets, but aluminum never does. This occurrence is extremely rare on Earth and the rest of our solar system, as far as is known in science," says Belyanin.

"We also found silver iodine phosphide and moissanite (silicon carbide) grains, again in highly unexpected forms. The grains are the first documented to be found in situ (as is) without having to first dissolve the surrounding rock with acid," adds Belyanin. "There are also grains of a compound consisting of mainly nickel and phosphorus, with very little iron; a mineral composition never observed before on Earth or in meteorites," he adds.
Old 12th January 2018, 09:21 AM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Extraterrestrial alien litterbugs. Tossed it right out the window during a flyby.
Old 12th January 2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Cheetah
Muse

Sorry, I couldn't resist using that for the thread title.
It's not exactly obvious what it's about.
Old 12th January 2018, 09:44 AM   #4
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Extraterrestrial alien litterbugs. Tossed it right out the window during a flyby.
It has metallic aluminum. It was probably a beer can.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
The Hypatia Stone analized.

Some exiting and unexpected news from the University of Johannesburg.
Given the nature of the galaxy and its rotation and the clouds around stars, I imagine they are interacting.
So it may be from another proto planetary disk or from a supernova remnant explosion
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 10:32 AM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Given the nature of the galaxy and its rotation and the clouds around stars, I imagine they are interacting.
So it may be from another proto planetary disk or from a supernova remnant explosion
Or might have been made during a collision of two flying saucers. Evrybosy knows the Farengi can't drive.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 10:36 AM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Fruitcake = Irate ****
Old 12th January 2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
While there might be some mystery to the OP object, it in no way compares to Fruitcake.
Nobody knows where Fruitcake comes from.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:11 AM   #9
phunk
Illuminator

We just saw an interstellar asteroid pass through, and we know there are likely many more. So why does finding a bit of one raise any questions about the protoplanetary disk we formed from?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 03:45 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Fake news. Aluminium always comes as a compound. The element would react strongly with oxygen. If it was real then they would have started a huge search for more fragments.

Though on the other hand how do we know that this is not from the solar system? It could be from a rare type of rock found in space.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 11:39 PM   #11
Cheetah
Muse

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
We just saw an interstellar asteroid pass through, and we know there are likely many more.
It is believed to be part of the nucleus of a comet, not an asteroid.
I don't believe any other fragments of a comet's nucleus have ever been found before.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Fake news. Aluminium always comes as a compound. The element would react strongly with oxygen. If it was real then they would have started a huge search for more fragments.
Well, it is real and not of terrestrial origin, what do you mean? No one disputes that it's a weird rock from outer space.

26 mya something struck the Libyan desert, creating the famous Libyan glass strewnfield. People have been making tools and jewelry from it for a long time.
The stone was found smack in the middle of this strewnfield and is believed to be part of the nucleus of a comet, the one that struck there.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Comets, or their precursors, formed in the outer Solar System, possibly millions of years before planet formation. How and when comets formed is debated, with distinct implications for Solar System formation, dynamics, and geology.
So it might be part of a comet and looks different to what was expected, that's pretty interesting.

Last edited by Cheetah; 12th January 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 01:24 AM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

More details here https://www.livescience.com/61409-ex...tia-stone.html
It appears to be genuine. You need to read all of the article to understand it.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 02:04 AM   #13
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 10:30 AM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
More details here https://www.livescience.com/61409-ex...tia-stone.html
It appears to be genuine. You need to read all of the article to understand it.
Interesting. One would think there might be more fragments in the area.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:42 AM   #15
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Sorry, I couldn't resist using that for the thread title.
It's not exactly obvious what it's about.
Too right. I assumed it was another Trump thread.
Old 13th January 2018, 09:19 PM   #16
Cheetah
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Interesting. One would think there might be more fragments in the area.
Well, it has been 26 million years, a lot can happen in that time.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology