ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 07:04 AM   #201
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Actually let's do a little thought experiment that treats that proposed United States / Mexican border wall as a massively upscale of the Berlin Wall.

The Berlin Wall was 87 miles long and built as an ungoing project built in stages over a period of nearly 20 years but the "final" version could be described thusly:

(From Wiki)

So that pricetag of 3,600,000 US Dollars for 87 miles of high security border fencing gives us a cost of about 41,000 dollars a mile. That would make our hypothetical border fence somewhere in the neighborhood of over 8 billion dollars in 1975 money. That would be about 36 billion in 2017 dollars or about 3 and a half nuclear powered aircraft carriers.

Even pushing all the political, legal, moral, and other concerns out of the way if our intent is to secure the border a fraction of that dropped into hiring new, training, equipping border patrol seems like it would give us a massively better return on investment.

A tiny fraction of the cost of a wall could give us a massively well staffed, well armed, well trained border patrol.
There's also two issues East Germany never had to worry about, people coming in by sea and heavy legal traffic though border crossings, the latter being where most illegals cross ATM anyway.
Old Today, 07:13 AM   #202
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I'd point out that even the Berlin Wall with its guards and mines and everything else, still failed to prevent people fleeing across it from East Berlin to the West.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #203
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'd point out that even the Berlin Wall with its guards and mines and everything else, still failed to prevent people fleeing across it from East Berlin to the West.
And that's the problem, even with the prospect of being gunned down in cold blood desperate people were still willing to try. If the worst thing East Germans trying to cross the Berlin wall had faced was a bus ride home the thing would have looked like November 9 1989 every night of the week.
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #204
Mumbles
Illuminator

Such a silly idea...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #205
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I don't know. People seem to want it. Maybe it has a symbolic value beyond the actual cost.
Really? according to polls there has been a pretty consistent response that in fact around 60% of Americans don't want the wall, nearly double the around 35% of people that do. Even FOX's Bill O'Reilly admitted that more people didn't want it than did, though he claimed that the figures were likely closer to the 55% against and 45% for it.

The Wall is a costly white elephant that is little more that a symbol and...

a) will be ineffective at stopping people crossing the border illegally, and
b) will do nothing to combat the larger issue with illegals that arrived legally in the US and overstay.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #206
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I don't know. People seem to want it. Maybe it has a symbolic value beyond the actual cost.
It sure does:

Canadians, ok!
Mexicans, no way!

Then again, that has been the unspoken subtext all along, IMO.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics