IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags trial , evolution , intelligent design , dover id trial

Old 1st November 2005, 09:20 AM   #361
EvilSmurf
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dan Beaird
I think the smart thing to do would be to have the defense call the witness and severely limit the lines of questioning. Isn't cross examination limited to subjects covered under direct? Maybe I'm thinking of re-direct...I'm no lawyer either, but I've seen one on TV.
I'm not a lawyer, I haven't played one on TV (I have on the stage, but that's another matter) but this is what I seem to remember.

Direct Examination - you answer questions from the lawyer who called you to the stand, the lawyer who called you can not ask leading questions (unless they are entered as a hostile witness, where the rules of cross examination apply, as Buckingham was). The standards for relevance are a bit heavier too.
Cross - The other lawyer gets to question you, the stands for relevance are pretty lax, really, under cross, we could have asked him if he's ever been convicted of grave-robbing and said it spoke towards the character of the witness.
Re-Direct - The lawyer who calls you gets to ask you more questions, with the same rules as direct examination. This usually means that something has come up in cross that was unexpected and your lawyer wants to ask another question to clear things up.
EvilSmurf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 09:20 AM   #362
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I was expecting him to say, "I did not have sex with that panda."
classic
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 09:28 AM   #363
tsg
Philosopher

This was my favorite bit:

Quote:
That was when the judge started asking him to try to explain — um, how should I phrase this? — certain gaps and problems with his testimony.

In the beginning there was nothing. And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!" And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.
tsg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 09:35 AM   #364
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
And here's Mike Argento's take on Bonsell's testimony.
The Dover Panda Trial. Now that's good marketing. Much better than Scopes Monkey Trial II: Electric Boogaloo.

I still anxiously await the 36 part made-for-TV mini-series.
Old 1st November 2005, 09:43 AM   #365
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The Dover Panda Trial. Now that's good marketing. Much better than Scopes Monkey Trial II: Electric Boogaloo.

I still anxiously await the 36 part made-for-TV mini-series.
...starring...?
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 10:25 AM   #366
Dr Adequate
Banned

When a judge starts grilling a witness about inconsistencies in his testimony, and asks him if he knew he was under oath --- that's quite unusual, isn't it?

Kind of like a big flashing neon sign over the man's head saying "PERJURY".
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 11:07 AM   #367
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It's certainly not good...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 11:12 AM   #368
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

A case of perjury per jury.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 01:09 PM   #369
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Of Pandas and People

I enjoyed the user reviews, pro and con.
Old 1st November 2005, 01:49 PM   #370
Blondin
Muse

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
...starring...?
Well, both Spencer Tracy and Henry Fonda are out...
Blondin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 02:11 PM   #371
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blondin View Post
Well, both Spencer Tracy and Henry Fonda are out...
James van Praagh disagrees.
Old 1st November 2005, 03:23 PM   #372
Euromutt
Graduate Poster

A case of perjury per jury.
I dunno about perjury, for the reasons stated earlier, but I suspect a couple of school board members may be skating dangerously close to getting slapped with contempt of court charges.
And fortunately, this is a "bench trial"--no jury involved.
"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

by birth, by choice
Euromutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2005, 08:06 PM   #373
delphi_ote
Philosopher

How did they expect to get away with this lie? They're amoral and stupid.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:11 AM   #374
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by delphi_ote View Post
How did they expect to get away with this lie? They're amoral and stupid.
Paranormal beliefs compels you to lie.
Old 2nd November 2005, 01:23 AM   #375
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I am just trying to work out what the judge will say if he says the ID people win. Am finding this task very hard. I mean how do you decide for a side that appears to be not very honest?
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 01:27 AM   #376
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'd have to say the quality of the transcripts is superb, the prosecutors are excellent and the judge has a very dry sense of humour. Why isn't this trail televised? I'd pay-to-view it!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 05:48 AM   #377
Ed
Philosopher

...starring...?
Keanu Reeves and Lawrence Fishbourne.

With Carrottop as Dr. Behe

I'm tellin' ya, it's science"

Incidentially, when the Michael Jackson trial was going on, E Network (I think) did a dramatized reading of the transcripts nightly with actors playing all of he roles in a "courtroom".
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 05:50 AM   #378
Ed
Philosopher

James van Praagh disagrees.
So does Schwartzie. What did he call it "a non-corporal co-investigator" or some such crap?
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 06:14 AM   #379
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Ah yes, the "departed hypothesized co-investigator." One of the greatest terms in all of pseudoscience.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 06:17 AM   #380
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Ah yes, the "departed hypothesized co-investigator." One of the greatest terms in all of pseudoscience.

~~ Paul

That has to be the best candidate for the Pigasus Awards....
Old 2nd November 2005, 06:23 AM   #381
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Perhaps the defence should have got an expert witness statement from Darwin via Schwartz confirming his death-bed conversion?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 06:37 AM   #382
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps the defence should have got an expert witness statement from Darwin via Schwartz confirming his death-bed conversion?
Why don't they simply put God on the stand? Get the whole thing settled, once and for all?

Or find someone who speaks in tongues....handling snakes, too.
Old 2nd November 2005, 06:46 AM   #383
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm surprised when Buckingham (?) took the stand and he started to swear "by Almighty God", there wasn't a rumble of thunder and a voice from above saying "You can leave me out of this!"
Old 2nd November 2005, 08:31 AM   #384
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Not only is this case going on: next Tuesday we have also the vote by the Kansas Board of Education, and 8 of the 9 members of the Dover School Board are up for re-election: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110100875.html

Quote:
Around town, one billboard erected by the current school board exhorts voters to "support academic freedom."
Huh? "Academic freedom?" Aren't they the ones who want teachers to read out a statement about ID against the objections of the teachers?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2005, 08:35 AM   #385
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Not only is this case going on: next Tuesday we have also the vote by the Kansas Board of Education,
Ooooh, I thought it was this Tuesday (i.e. yesterday). I was going to ask if anyone had heard the results. I'll go back to being patient.
Old 2nd November 2005, 08:49 AM   #386
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ed View Post
With Carrottop as Dr. Behe
For bad science, dial down the center!

delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 05:47 AM   #387
BillHoyt

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
Oh, it will definitely be interesting. One of the nice things about courts is that the rules are set up that a witness can't change the subject or wriggle out of a line of questioning that itsn't going his way, unlike a debate. Michael Behe is a brilliant debater, but I suspect he's going to get his ass handed to him, on a plate, with a side of chips.

If you read Behe's expert report, he is presenting the same-old, same-old examples of irreducible complexity, including the flagellum and the blood clotting cascade. If you check out Miller's testimony and expert report (same ACLU site), Miller has already presented a pretty damning analysis that those are not, in fact, irreducibly complex, complete with PowerPoint animations and a a few citations to Science, Nature, and Cell -- apparently (something I didn't know already) blood clotting has been known not to be irreducibly complex since 1969!

So I can see the question from the attorney during cross now. "You testified that with a single factor missing, blood clotting cannot occur. You have heard Dr. Miller's testimony that dolphins are missing such a factor, and that their blood still clots. Do you disagree with Dr. Miller? Do you agree that this fact was published over thirty years ago? Are you incompetent not to know this, or were you perjuring yourself?"
Cherry-picking "ancient" science is one of their favorite games. Unfortunately, I haven't the time to keep up with all of this, but I hope you are right. The courts do present a good forum for unmasking pap, but, alas, an exceptionally poor forum to decide anything scientific. And, as much as I'd love to hear that last line from counsel, that would only get an immediate, sustained objection from opposing counsel.
BillHoyt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 05:49 AM   #388
BillHoyt

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Ooooh, I thought it was this Tuesday (i.e. yesterday). I was going to ask if anyone had heard the results. I'll go back to being patient.
Have you heard any of the back-story about the Dover board of ed? It is delightful, aggravating and very telling.
BillHoyt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 06:59 AM   #389
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Hey Bill, good to see you posting again.

Is there a summary of the back story somewhere?

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 10:28 AM   #390
BillHoyt

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Hey Bill, good to see you posting again.

Is there a summary of the back story somewhere?

~~ Paul
Paul,

Chris Mooney covers it in his article in the premiere issue of Seed magazine. IIRC, he talks about the fundamentalist guy who launched the whole thing, then made such a mess that he had to high-tail it out of town. Considering he got the boot so badly, the court case is a sad joke.

For those who haven't yet seen it, Seed is newly re-launched. The premiere issue is graphically slick and well-written. I think it is a must-read for all skeptics. The magazine's credo tips you off: "Science is culture." This is what Discover (and others) might have been had it not been overrun by the irrational and the panderers.
Old 3rd November 2005, 10:47 AM   #391
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by BillHoyt View Post
Chris Mooney covers it in his article in the premiere issue of Seed magazine. IIRC, he talks about the fundamentalist guy who launched the whole thing, then made such a mess that he had to high-tail it out of town. Considering he got the boot so badly, the court case is a sad joke.
I assume the article isn't online. Do you have the fundamentalist guy's name so we can Google him?

Old 3rd November 2005, 10:49 AM   #392
Moose
Self-Propelled Road Hazard

I'm slowly getting caught up in the transcripts, and I caught this precious exchange early in the cross of Behe:

Quote:
Q. I couldn't be a mind reader either, correct?

A. Yes, yes, but I'm sure it would be useful.

Q. It would make this exchange go much more quickly.

The Court: You'd have to include me, though.
Man, I had to do Jury Duty last summer. I would have loved to be on this jury rather than the case I had. Comedy gold.
Moose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 11:00 AM   #393
BillHoyt

I assume the article isn't online. Do you have the fundamentalist guy's name so we can Google him?
I tried earlier. Seed is online (www.seedmagazine.com), but seems to be members-only. I don't have my copy with me right now. Mooney has done some interviews, some of which are on line; maybe Googling him with "ID" or "evolution" might be fruitful?
Old 3rd November 2005, 11:12 AM   #394
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by BillHoyt View Post
I tried earlier. Seed is online (www.seedmagazine.com), but seems to be members-only. I don't have my copy with me right now. Mooney has done some interviews, some of which are on line; maybe Googling him with "ID" or "evolution" might be fruitful?
Yeah, I've already tried all sorts of combinations. The nearest I've found is an article saying "the Dover school-board member who drove the policy in question made his conservative Christian motivations clear in widely reported public statements (which he now disputes having made)" which sounds an awful lot like Buckingham to me.

Old 3rd November 2005, 11:15 AM   #395
BillHoyt

Yeah, I've already tried all sorts of combinations. The nearest I've found is an article saying "the Dover school-board member who drove the policy in question made his conservative Christian motivations clear in widely reported public statements (which he now disputes having made)" which sounds an awful lot like Buckingham to me.
That sounds familiar. All to.
Old 3rd November 2005, 12:47 PM   #396
petre
Muse

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'm slowly getting caught up in the transcripts, and I caught this precious exchange early in the cross of Behe:

Man, I had to do Jury Duty last summer. I would have loved to be on this jury rather than the case I had. Comedy gold.
The trial is being (adjucated?) only by a judge, no jury. That's why ID has practically no chance
petre is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 01:47 PM   #397
Moose
Self-Propelled Road Hazard

Originally Posted by petre View Post
The trial is being (adjucated?) only by a judge, no jury. That's why ID has practically no chance
Ack! That would be a really good point. I guess juries are sort of hard to get on when there's no jury, huh.

Fly on the ceiling, then?
Moose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2005, 02:25 PM   #398
petre
Muse

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Ack! That would be a really good point. I guess juries are sort of hard to get on when there's no jury, huh.

Fly on the ceiling, then?
I think we'll have to settle for transcripts for now

Which is why it's so irritating that some aren't fully readable. I tried using the exact software that generated it, I even downloaded a free trial of .pdf repair software. Nothing seemed up to the task of drawing out all the text.

So, what are the odds someone isn't properly setting the binary flag before using FTP?
petre is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2005, 07:26 AM   #399
Matilda
Thinker

Is the trial meant to be finishing today? Is there a best guess of when there will be a verdict?
Matilda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2005, 07:52 AM   #400
petre
Muse

Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
Is the trial meant to be finishing today? Is there a best guess of when there will be a verdict?
Until someone more familiar with law gets here, you'll have to settle for me.

Juries are advised not to make any evaluation of evidence presented until the end of the trial and deliberations begin. I'm not so sure judges follow the same guideline. I would think the judge is very aware of exactly what aspects of the case need to be considered, and noted them as they came up.

It will take a little time for him to note the important pieces of evidence that he'll apply tests to and to write up his decision on each. I would say if the trial concludes today, the judge would have his notes together and be ready to rule next week, say Tuesday or Wednsday. A lesser case he might have ruled on late Monday, but given the likelyhood of appeal from both sides, I expect he'll try to be as complete as possible in his ruling.

Or maybe he'll be like Judge Judy, take a comercial break, then come right back with a verdict :P

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight