IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th August 2022, 06:59 AM   #81
Armitage72
Philosopher

There's a joke about a time traveler meeting a young Hitler in a Vienna bar in 1908. The punchline is something like

Hitler: "You know what I really hate?"
Traveler: Let me guess, Jews?"
Hitler: "I was going to say the beer this bar sells, but now that you mention it ..."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 07:40 AM   #82
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Actually, movement in WHICH coordinate system? ('Chart' lest someone objects to my using the wrong terms again.) Most of these ideas presuppose that there is some fixed point, and the Earth moved relative to that. But the whole point of special relativity is that fundamentally there is no preferred frame. Well, not among inertial frames, at the very least. The frame of the railway station and that of the train going 100 mph past it are equally good.
Yeah, I had assumed one could simply calculate where the Earth will be tomorrow, relative to where it is today, and set your spatio-temporal coordinates accordingly.

But honestly I don't know. It works fine for time travel in fiction, but when it comes to science... I don't know.
Old 25th August 2022, 08:21 AM   #83
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yeah, I had assumed one could simply calculate where the Earth will be tomorrow, relative to where it is today, and set your spatio-temporal coordinates accordingly.

But honestly I don't know. It works fine for time travel in fiction, but when it comes to science... I don't know.
Memory like a thing with holes in it...

There's an almost famous science fiction story about a time traveller who appears once a year apparently getting deeper and deeper into the earth. The line is that he appears in the same spot every year but the earth is slightly changing its position along its orbit so when it intercepts him its in a slightly different place.

ETA: “The Man Who Walked Home” by James Tiptree, Jr.
You can read it in the Amazon "look inside" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OABX1...rmat=2&depth=1 - going to see how accurate my recollection is

Last edited by Darat; 25th August 2022 at 08:25 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 08:41 AM   #84
Armitage72
Philosopher

I have that in an old "Year's Best Science Fiction" anthology. The problem I remember is that at the point at which the story takes place a crowd gathers every year to see him briefly appear and someone in the crowd does something that may have tripped him, causing a fall that had been observed in reverse over the previous decades or centuries and possibly contributing to the disaster that destroyed civilization when he arrived home.
It's been a long time since I've read it too.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:00 PM   #85
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I have that in an old "Year's Best Science Fiction" anthology. The problem I remember is that at the point at which the story takes place a crowd gathers every year to see him briefly appear and someone in the crowd does something that may have tripped him, causing a fall that had been observed in reverse over the previous decades or centuries and possibly contributing to the disaster that destroyed civilization when he arrived home.
It's been a long time since I've read it too.
Or God could make a village only appear once every 100 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigadoon

Actually, if you needed to work out where the Earh would be if you time travelled, it would be quite complicated:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th August 2022, 12:10 PM   #86
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ooh yeah the village adrift in time one is a good one. I'm always ready for a good story about a town that only appears once in a century, or a shop that appears long enough to sell you a cursed item, and then disappears before you can return it.
Old 25th August 2022, 12:31 PM   #87
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I once tried to come up with all the time-travel devices/vehicles/trinkets I could think of in programs and movies I've seen. Aside from all the non-named ones that are basically just "Time Machine", and without naming the sources (a little puzzle for you), there's

The Time Tunnel
The Atavochron
The Guardian of Forever
The Tardis
A motorcyle (the reference above made me think of this post)
A DeLorean
A train
A phone booth
A coin
The Time Twister (?)
The Time Gem
A Starship using The Slingshot method
A hot tub
The Omega-13
Fob style pocket watches appeared also, e.g. the Omni.
The Vortex Manipulator.
Time Rings (actually bracelets)
Chronoplate
Warp disc

Loosely they fall into the Projector/Conveyor/Device categories.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:32 PM   #88
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Is the possibility of finding yourself pressed in the vacuum of space or in the soil/rock of the planet in the time period you teleport to as a result of the constant movement of the planet.
If only there was some way to calculate where the planet was at a specified time...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:50 PM   #89
wobs
Master Poster

I once tried to come up with all the time-travel devices/vehicles/trinkets I could think of in programs and movies I've seen. Aside from all the non-named ones that are basically just "Time Machine", and without naming the sources (a little puzzle for you), there's

The Time Tunnel
The Atavochron
The Guardian of Forever
The Tardis
A DeLorean
A train
A phone booth
A coin
The Time Twister (?)
The Time Gem
A hot tub
The Omega-13
Or you could fly really fast around the Earth and confuse the audience about what actually happened.
Old 25th August 2022, 01:02 PM   #90
Carlotta
Muse

The Time Tunnel
The Atavochron
The Guardian of Forever
The Tardis
A DeLorean
A train
A phone booth
A coin
The Time Twister (?)
The Time Gem
A hot tub
The Omega-13
A stone circle in Outlander.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 04:32 PM   #91
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Grabbing one from the comics (and used in the animated features, but I'm not sure if anything in Flash or JL referred to it yet), the Cosmic Treadmill. Entire DC Multiverses have sprung from that concept, but it was originally intended as a time-travel device.
Old 26th August 2022, 02:29 AM   #92
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Friends, they say that the new supercomputerized time machine models that calculate coordinates accurately are very expensive. And a millimeter error will press you into the soil of the planet. It's not worth the risk. Neither is teleportation. So it's best to buy one of those time machines in the shape of a spaceship, I'm very happy with it.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2022, 04:14 AM   #93
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

The Time Tunnel
The Atavochron
The Guardian of Forever
The Tardis
A DeLorean
A train
A phone booth
A coin
The Time Twister (?)
The Time Gem
A hot tub
The Omega-13
Add to these: A tape measure
Spektator is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2022, 05:36 AM   #94
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Friends, they say that the new supercomputerized time machine models that calculate coordinates accurately are very expensive. And a millimeter error will press you into the soil of the planet. It's not worth the risk. Neither is teleportation. So it's best to buy one of those time machines in the shape of a spaceship, I'm very happy with it.
Yeah I think you may have a good point here.
Old 30th August 2022, 08:42 AM   #95
catsmate
No longer the 1

Who?
Old 30th August 2022, 09:11 AM   #96
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Who?
: rolleyes :
I think it's a rhetorical flourish. He's poking fun at the spatio-temporal teleportation machine idea, for the same reasons others have been: It's too difficult to compute relative position over time with sufficient accuracy.

Hence, he's recommending the same thing others in the thread are recommending: A temporal translocator installed in a spacecraft, that can navigate to an empty region of space before moving through time.

Not every thread has to be a "needle the theist" thread.

: rolleyes :

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology