IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th January 2022, 12:40 PM   #81
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. Let's get back to assigning blame for this 5G antenna debacle. Are the airlines being crybabies and trying to extort a policy change by threatening to withhold service if they don't get their way?

Or is this on the cellular providers for investing in a frequency they can't use because they didn't do their due diligence about the antennas?

Or is this a screwup by the FAA and the FCC for letting things get to this state at all?
Old 28th January 2022, 12:43 PM   #82
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Agreed. Let's get back to assigning blame for this 5G antenna debacle. Are the airlines being crybabies and trying to extort a policy change by threatening to withhold service if they don't get their way?

Or is this on the cellular providers for investing in a frequency they can't use because they didn't do their due diligence about the antennas?

Or is this a screwup by the FAA and the FCC for letting things get to this state at all?
Yes.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 12:58 PM   #83
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Wrong. You cannot enforce what you cannot detect. It's a necessary prerequisite. Without detection, enforcement is impossible. This is so detached from reality that if you cannot even understand that, then there's really no point in proceeding any further.
Whatever
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 01:07 PM   #84
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
Yes.
The other phrasing for this sort of response that I like is "embrace the power of 'and'".
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 01:12 PM   #85
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Are the airlines being crybabies and trying to extort a policy change by threatening to withhold service if they don't get their way?
No

....is this on the cellular providers for investing in a frequency they can't use because they didn't do their due diligence about the antennas?
Yes

...is this a screwup by the FAA and the FCC for letting things get to this state at all?
Yes

The two issues are easily fixed, but will take time.

1. Tilting the antennae of cell-towers in close proximity to airports downwards by at least 5° is simple (but time consuming). The antennas need to be switched off, remounted in the new position, and then switched on. Its just raw engineering.

2. Turning the power down on transmitters in close proximity to airports presents a more complex task. I doubt these devices have a "power control dial" that can simply be turned down. It will probably require modifications with some component changes.

I'd suggest the the easiest solution might be to modify in-stock units to a lower power setting and replace existing units at the same time that the tilt angle adjustments are being made.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 02:01 PM   #86
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
2. Turning the power down on transmitters in close proximity to airports presents a more complex task. I doubt these devices have a "power control dial" that can simply be turned down. It will probably require modifications with some component changes.
I expect they do have a "power control dial", but coverage will be smaller at lower power. They might have to install more transmitters in other locations. Could be very expensive.
Old 28th January 2022, 02:02 PM   #87
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There was mention of cell phones blowing up gas stations .

Myth Busters tried it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 03:07 PM   #88
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here is a new YouTube that explains "How 5G "Almost" Shut Down Aviation in the US". And it is not what you think.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 28th January 2022, 03:44 PM   #89
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Here is a new YouTube that explains "How 5G "Almost" Shut Down Aviation in the US". And it is not what you think.

I AGREE
I can't help but think it's clickbait. Is it actually something else? Is it something you can summarize in a few simple sentences, or do I have to sit through a whole video waiting for them to get to the point?
Old 28th January 2022, 03:58 PM   #90
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE
Can you summarize the important point if there is one? First four minutes were nothing but a rehash of things already cover in the thread.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 04:43 PM   #91
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Can you summarize the important point if there is one? First four minutes were nothing but a rehash of things already cover in the thread.
Summary

1. Its US bureaucracy that stuffed it up

2. Europe put in place the mitigation measures that we have discussed here, and still managed to get the 5G rollout on schedule

3. The US dot NOT put in place mitigation measures.

Pretty much what theprestige implied in the last two points in his post #81.

Its worth noting that Canada began implementing mitigation measures in November last year

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/ref...asa-no-2021-08

Last edited by smartcooky; 28th January 2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 28th January 2022, 05:24 PM   #92
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Summary

1. Its US bureaucracy that stuffed it up

2. Europe put in place the mitigation measures that we have discussed here, and still managed to get the 5G rollout on schedule

3. The US dot NOT put in place mitigation measures.

Pretty much what theprestige implied in the last two points in his post #81.

Its worth noting that Canada began implementing mitigation measures in November last year

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/ref...asa-no-2021-08
Thanks for that. I am glad it is a US problem only and not a worldwide issue.
Old 28th January 2022, 05:28 PM   #93
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Summary
Thanks, but you really should have made rjh01 do that.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 05:44 PM   #94
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I wanted to watch the video anyway.
Old 28th January 2022, 06:13 PM   #95
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for that. I am glad it is a US problem only and not a worldwide issue.
Seems like it's a Canada problem too.

It also doesn't really seem like much of a problem. 5G rollout gets delayed a bit. So what?
Old 28th January 2022, 11:17 PM   #96
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It is not up to me to educate you. This video has a bit more credibility than other people's uninformed opinions on this site. This post says more about you than anything else.
Old 28th January 2022, 11:20 PM   #97
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

It is not up to me to educate you. This video has a bit more credibility than other people's uninformed opinions on this site. This post says more about you than anything else.
It's up to you not to waste people's time. The post didn't have any new information nor any surprises. It's rude to ask people to listen to a 16 minute video for no good reason.
Old 28th January 2022, 11:26 PM   #98
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I have to say that this forum is the only one I have encountered where there is such a widespread "anti-video" attitude.

I don't get it.
Old 28th January 2022, 11:38 PM   #99
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

It also doesn't really seem like much of a problem. 5G rollout gets delayed a bit. So what?
5G providers seem to think it's a big problem, and for them it may be. Lots of potential income down the drain, penalty clauses being triggered, that sort of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if some bankruptcies are on the way.

But all that pales in comparison to what would happen if 5G was the suspected cause of a crash, especially if a few hundred passengers lost their lives. That's why we need agencies like the FAA who aren't in the pockets of big business - to protect them (and us) from themselves.
Old 28th January 2022, 11:52 PM   #100
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

I have to say that this forum is the only one I have encountered where there is such a widespread "anti-video" attitude.

I don't get it.
I suppose you don't mind bare links and stuff behind paywalls too, right?

Some of us don't have the latest hardware or high speed internet connections either. Then there's the tedious adverts for stuff we aren't at all interested in that are sprinkled throughout longer videos. Finally videos are very hard to quote from accurately, which makes discussing them difficult.

Unless the message is visual, the video is just a distraction (even more so when you click the next 'interesting' one, and the next, and the next...)
Old 29th January 2022, 12:12 AM   #101
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
I suppose you don't mind bare links and stuff behind paywalls too, right?
Nope.... and getting around paywalls is easy.

I'll put the rest in a spoiler so the anti-video crowd aren't forced to read it.

Some of us don't have the latest hardware or high speed internet connections either.
Then don't click on it, but don't bitch about it either

Then there's the tedious adverts for stuff we aren't at all interested in that are sprinkled throughout longer videos.
AdBlockers are free.

Finally videos are very hard to quote from accurately, which makes discussing them difficult.
So you think people are incapable listening to the audio and typing what they hear... but you expect the poster of the video to do exactly that?

(Note: for YouTube videos, I just download the subtitles)

Unless the message is visual, the video is just a distraction
I find reading dry text keeps me at the computer screen. A video with a good commentary (or a podcast) allows me the freedom do do other things while I listen

Even more so when you click the next 'interesting' one, and the next, and the next...)
Then don't!

Last edited by smartcooky; 29th January 2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:39 AM   #102
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

So did this ever get sorted out?

I came across a recent video about 5g, but the problem with airplanes wasn't on the radar.

I AGREE
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:25 PM   #103
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

FAA Statements on 5G as of June 17

A long read, but:

Quote:
“We believe we have identified a path that will continue to enable aviation and 5G C-band wireless to safely co-exist,” said Acting FAA Administrator Billy Nolen. “We appreciate the willingness of Verizon and AT&T to continue this important and productive collaboration with the aviation industry.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology