IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd September 2022, 06:20 PM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Which Blood Thinner for You?

I somehow managed to click into this ad for a blood thinning drug.

BRILINTA 90 mg + aspirin was proven to work better than Plavix + aspirin

Some of the facts are:

Quote:
BRILINTA 90 mg + Aspirin: 864 of 9,333 patients had a heart attack or stroke or died from a cardiovascular event

Plavix + Aspirin: 1,014 of 9,291 patients had a heart attack or stroke or died from a cardiovascular event
Seems to be a slight advantage there in favor of Brilinta..

But don't rush out and have that prescription filled.

Quote:
More people treated with BRILINTA experienced bleeding compared to those treated with Plavix. Of people given BRILINTA 90 mg + aspirin, 3.9% (362/9,235) experienced bleeding‡ that was serious or sometimes fatal, compared to 3.3% (306/9,186) of people given Plavix + aspirin.
Who would have guessed that a drug that results in fewer clots, also resulted in more bleeding?

I notice they don't give any exact numbers on how many people died on which drug, but I have a feeling if less people died with Brilinta, we would see those numbers in big bold letters if they were the least bit significant..

What were the numbers for a control group that did not take either drug?
it might be buried in there somewhere. I'll have to look closer and get back with you.

Just thought this was interesting with regard to the drug companies fighting for your drug dollars, and the question of how prepared medical professionals are to actually make the best therapy recommendations.
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:13 AM   #2
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Neither: first started on apixaban, as I wouldn't countenance heparin/warfarin and the former is recommended here, but shifted to the related edoxaban as it is once per day rather than twice (suggested by pharmacist, as they find that helps compliance, which is definitely not an issue for me).

However, given I'm in the UK and our system is totally different and we don't allow advertising to patients or potential patients and marketing to medics is limited, not to mention there are official guidelines, which all have full references, which folk such as me really like, this is a whole nuther matter.

However, it will be intersting to see the full figures if you find them, as it always pays to be aware of who certain organisations might try to manipulate things.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:23 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

alcohol
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:46 AM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

1.5% lower event rate. So a 98.5% chance of no advantage. Compare to a brain bleed from a minor fall, or an eye bleed from a blood pressure spike. Plus all the bleeding from my minor cuts and scrapes. Plus the fact that most studies are done in secondary prevention- those who are already proven clotters. I don't like blood thinners.

eta: I have doubts about studies that need to treat 10,000 patients to show an improvement... must be small improvement...

Last edited by casebro; 3rd September 2022 at 05:48 AM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:57 AM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

From the actual study, https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa0904327

Quote:
Results

At 12 months, the primary end point — a composite of death from vascular causes, myocardial infarction, or stroke — had occurred in 9.8% of patients receiving ticagrelor as compared with 11.7% of those receiving clopidogrel (hazard ratio, 0.84; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.77 to 0.92; P<0.001). Predefined hierarchical testing of secondary end points showed significant differences in the rates of other composite end points, as well as myocardial infarction alone (5.8% in the ticagrelor group vs. 6.9% in the clopidogrel group, P=0.005) and death from vascular causes (4.0% vs. 5.1%, P=0.001) but not stroke alone (1.5% vs. 1.3%, P=0.22). The rate of death from any cause was also reduced with ticagrelor (4.5%, vs. 5.9% with clopidogrel; P<0.001). No significant difference in the rates of major bleeding was found between the ticagrelor and clopidogrel groups (11.6% and 11.2%, respectively; P=0.43), but ticagrelor was associated with a higher rate of major bleeding not related to coronary-artery bypass grafting (4.5% vs. 3.8%, P=0.03), including more instances of fatal intracranial bleeding and fewer of fatal bleeding of other types.
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:07 AM   #6
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Way back when I got stents, they prescribed Plavix+Asprin for me.

A couple of weeks after I got home, I nearly fainted in a fast-food restaurant. I was experiencing severe intestinal bleeding and had to have a rather large transfusion…. The bleeding stopped as soon as I stopped taking the drub.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:29 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Is "blood thinner" the proper term?
Old 3rd September 2022, 06:48 AM   #8
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Is "blood thinner" the proper term?
Anti-coagulant is and is more accurate. Blood thinner is the common usage.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:46 AM   #9
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Way back when I got stents, they prescribed Plavix+Asprin for me.

A couple of weeks after I got home, I nearly fainted in a fast-food restaurant. I was experiencing severe intestinal bleeding and had to have a rather large transfusion…. The bleeding stopped as soon as I stopped taking the drub.
Same. Hated Plavix. Before my bypass they took me off plavix and went with heparin I believe for 5 days before the surgery. One of the issues compared to earlier anti-coagulants is there is no way to stop Plavix' action quickly. However, heparin blood levels need monitoring to adjust dosing.

Mrs slyjoe, a former nurse, hated anti-coagulants because they were so hard to control.

Friend is taking Eliquis. Seems more targeted.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:50 AM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I read some where that there is an 11 link chain to make a clot. We've all heard of vitamin K and hemophiliacs. But that leaves 10 other points where you may be a poor clotter. The stuff newer than warfarin and aspirin work at some of those points.

But what if I have a weak gene for one of those points? Do I need any meds? Most studies of blood thinners are for "secondary prevention". And I haven't had a primary clot yet.

A couple years ago they had me on Plavix and Pradaxa both. I think it was a covert study.

Last edited by casebro; 3rd September 2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: sp
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:55 AM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

None. Doc told me a few months ago to discontinue the low-dose aspirin. I keep a bottle of chewable ones around so we can chew up a handful in case of a heart attack. But neither of us has any heart disease.
My blood is thin enough anyhow. I bruise very easily.
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:37 PM   #12
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

I'm at high risk for clots due to cancer treatment and I just started on apixaban after I developed a blood clot in my leg. I think a fair bit of heparin goes into my port to keep it clot free as well.

I'm also at high risk for infection so I'm supposed to avoid drugs like asprin that can mask syptoms
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:03 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm with TGZ.

Alcohol is a blood thinner, right?
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:04 PM   #14
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Heparin and warfarin and edoxaban are anti coagulants. Aspirin, clopidogrel and ticagrelor are anti-platelets drugs. The latter do not affect the clotting of the blood, but do prevent platelets from becoming 'sticky' and triggering the clotting cascade. Aspirin may cause gastritis and cause bleeding from the stomach, the others don't actively increase your risk of bleeding but do make the bleeding worse if it happens. All have their issues, heparin is an injection, warfarin needs regular blood tests, but edoxaban has lots of drug interactions so depending on your drugs may not be an option.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:18 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

My wife is on rivaroxaban, trade name Xarelto, to prevent DVT's.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:10 PM   #16
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Which blood thinner for you?

Anything 80+ proof, if recent history is any indicator

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:35 PM   #17
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Which blood thinner for you?

Anything 80+ proof, if recent history is any indicator
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:50 PM   #18
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Other than the alcohol as mentioned by several here - warfarin to counter the clotting effects of my atrial fibrillations. No side effects that I have noticed. Blood test every two weeks to make sure my INR remains in the desired range.
Old 4th September 2022, 03:51 AM   #19
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
More technically "platelet aggregation inhibitor"; they prevent the clumping of platelets.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 03:54 AM   #20
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
My wife is on rivaroxaban, trade name Xarelto, to prevent DVT's.
Ah that's a different kind of agent, doesn't effect the platelets (like Clopidogrel and Ticagrelor) but inhibits Factor 10.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology