IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th February 2021, 05:46 AM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Mars: For anyone interested in the Perseverance touch down

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...der-touch-down
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 12:04 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I am NOT going to check in until the seven minutes of terror are over, one way or the other!
Old 17th February 2021, 12:30 PM   #3
3point14
Pi

Thanks, Steve, for that

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I am NOT going to check in until the seven minutes of terror are over, one way or the other!

So will that be about four minutes before mission control get to hear about it..?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Thanks, Steve, for that
You are welcome.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 12:52 PM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

About 24 hours from right now, for those who want to set a reminder. I did.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:08 AM   #6
Mike Helland
Master Poster

Watch Perseverance land on Mars

Live now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23gC0WhXdI

Nasa official in a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm0b_ijaYMQ
Mike Helland is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:26 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hope they’ve improved the CGI since that fake moon landing malarkey.

Seriously looking forward to watching this.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:34 AM   #8
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Will be watching.

Hans
Old 18th February 2021, 10:43 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Hope they’ve improved the CGI since that fake moon landing malarkey.

Seriously looking forward to watching this.
Quoting that erudite poster as it reminded me of something and I think it may be of interest to folk interested in this.

One of our members here has a YouTube channel in which they’ve used various techniques to improve a lot of original Apollo mission films, taking them up to 60fps, increased resolution and the like:

https://youtube.com/c/Dutchsteammachine

Now I know there is some criticism of these types of efforts as they are not “accurate” however given the wide availability of the originals I think they are very interesting.
Old 18th February 2021, 12:59 PM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

NASA main link.
watch-online/

Not sure what this means -- probably that they don't cut away for comments and whatnot.
Clean feed.

360-degree control room view (grab screen view and pan around!)
YouTube - 360 degree view.
Old 18th February 2021, 01:33 PM   #11
jonesdave116
Philosopher

~ 5 mins to atmospheric entry.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 01:38 PM   #12
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Who else is watching live now?
Old 18th February 2021, 01:40 PM   #13
jonesdave116
Philosopher

Atmospheric entry confirmed at ~ 19 000 km/h. What could possibly go wrong?

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 01:40 PM   #14
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Watching it live!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 01:46 PM   #15
jonesdave116
Philosopher

Phew!!!!!

Old 18th February 2021, 01:47 PM   #16
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

And it's down.

And breathe.
Old 18th February 2021, 01:48 PM   #17
Steve001
Graduate Poster

IT HAS LANDED!
Old 18th February 2021, 01:48 PM   #18
The Moog
Critical Thinker

looks like it went well
The Moog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 01:54 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That made me almost as emotional as the Mission Control crew.

Pictures already! Amazing!

Gotta love the simple but elegant 8-bit logo.

Last edited by alfaniner; 18th February 2021 at 01:57 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 02:07 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Love all the fist bumps instead of hugs. They look so much like they want to hug.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 02:08 PM   #21
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
IT HAS LANDED!
Yup. An achievment I watched live. Pretty cool. Now that it is on the deck, there are a shedload of tasks before that rover goes wandering. Nothing of thie is an easy task.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 02:09 PM   #22
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yay. Simply Yay.

Hans
Old 18th February 2021, 02:10 PM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What fun!
Old 18th February 2021, 02:15 PM   #24
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Fifty years ago watched the first moon landing. TV technology was in a different league, but the magic was the same.

Hans
Old 18th February 2021, 02:17 PM   #25
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Touchdown!
Old 18th February 2021, 02:21 PM   #26
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I think that in the Apollo days, most of us didn't realize that robots would be the future space pioneers. Science fiction certainly didn't.

Hans
Old 18th February 2021, 02:35 PM   #27
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Watching the stream playback from about 7 minutes before atmospheric entry. This is pretty special.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 03:13 PM   #28
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

AWESOME!!!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 07:36 PM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

My eyes got a bit wet seeing their stress then joy.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 07:51 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
My eyes got a bit wet seeing their stress then joy.
I'll bet the hearts were pumping to the max in that room!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 07:58 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Unfortunately I was driving to work when it landed. I'll catch up with Scott Manley when I get home.
Old 18th February 2021, 08:02 PM   #32
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

A good touch down!!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:48 PM   #33
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The rover has its own Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/st...76976515457026

This particular tweet has links to an interactive map where you can see where the rover is on Mars' surface and another link to images that it has delivered.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:06 PM   #34
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A couple minor notes/simple pleasures:

I enjoyed the 360-degree view, being able to pan straight down and see the bag of peanuts next to the person's laptop. (JPL has a tradition of having peanuts after a successful landing.)

And seeing a tweet from Rick Astley saying something like "I'm familiar with the value of perseverance. Good job!" It took me just a few seconds to make the connection.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:32 PM   #35
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I think that in the Apollo days, most of us didn't realize that robots would be the future space pioneers. Science fiction certainly didn't.

Hans
And I don't care if no human ever tries to reach another celestial body. 'Taint't worth it.

Not with the increasingly neato robots we can send.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 09:36 PM   #36
rockinkt
Master Poster

How long before it runs over the Martian equivalent of a 'possum?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:01 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
And I don't care if no human ever tries to reach another celestial body. 'Taint't worth it.

Not with the increasingly neato robots we can send.
We're going to do it just to prove that we can. Humans are like that.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:08 PM   #38
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We're going to do it just to prove that we can. Humans are like that.
I was looking at the picture of the rover landing spot and thinking how much I would like to walk there. There would be a few who would trade a decade or two of life if that’s what it took, or even the risk of not making it.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:12 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Old 18th February 2021, 10:54 PM   #40
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids, in fact it's cold as hell....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology