IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th February 2021, 08:09 PM   #81
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
There's only one left. That doesn't mean that there was ever only one. It's entirely possible there was more than one, but the others went extinct early on from competition, which is especially likely if they got a later start.
One hypothesis for which there is some evidence for is that there was a lot of intermingling of genetic material in the initial lifeforms.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 12:44 AM   #82
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
One hypothesis for which there is some evidence for is that there was a lot of intermingling of genetic material in the initial lifeforms.
Its also not beyond possibility that life started in several, or hundreds or thousands or perhaps millions of places on the Earth virtually at once, within a few million years. It may be that when the right conditions are met, life starts like a shot - that given the right conditions, life is an inevitable consequence of those conditions.

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st February 2021 at 12:47 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 01:00 AM   #83
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Like right now with a few new amino acids?
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 03:15 AM   #84
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Like right now with a few new amino acids?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 04:01 AM   #85
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I am not qualified but those 4 amino acids in every cell on the planet need explaining.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 04:14 AM   #86
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I am not qualified but those 4 amino acids in every cell on the planet need explaining.
What do you think is unexplained? Have you read stuff like this: https://www.nature.com/scitable/topi...specifies-935/

Hans
Old 21st February 2021, 04:26 AM   #87
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its also not beyond possibility that life started in several, or hundreds or thousands or perhaps millions of places on the Earth virtually at once, within a few million years. It may be that when the right conditions are met, life starts like a shot - that given the right conditions, life is an inevitable consequence of those conditions.
This is the most likely scenario, I think. However, we must realize that speciation is a product of evolution. Speciation allows life-forms to retain and hoard their adaptations, in order to compete.

Early proto-life would not only have been very primitive, but also with little or no distinctive species. It would exist in an essentially sterile environment without competition or enemies. All it had to do was survive the challenges of the environment itself, and no doubt this was the first pressure towards speciation.

Once a few forms managed to advance, the rest would be lunch to them. And presumably, in the end a specific group became all-dominant, either by selection or merging of forms.

Hans
Old 21st February 2021, 04:44 AM   #88
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
What do you think is unexplained? Have you read stuff like this: https://www.nature.com/scitable/topi...specifies-935/

Hans
Thank you.
Lunch to them therefore is the bright idea happening in a billion ponds right now.
I am not doubling down, I am genuinely curious.
Old 21st February 2021, 10:24 AM   #89
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you.
Lunch to them therefore is the bright idea happening in a billion ponds right now.
I am not doubling down, I am genuinely curious.
Well OK, that's what you are getting at: Why doesn't it happen all the time even now?

Basically two reasons:

1) Conditions on Earth were quite different when life presumably began. One important difference: At some point some evolving organisms started eating the carbon in the atmosphere and polluted it with a dangerous waste-product; oxygen. Oxygen is probably poisonous to very primitive proto life organisms. So there are very few places left on Earth for them to evolve.

2) Well, lunch. Earth now is crawling with organisms that would love a primitive, defenseless proto life thing for lunch.

Hans
Old 21st February 2021, 11:17 AM   #90
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Well OK, that's what you are getting at: Why doesn't it happen all the time even now?

Basically two reasons:

1) Conditions on Earth were quite different when life presumably began. One important difference: At some point some evolving organisms started eating the carbon in the atmosphere and polluted it with a dangerous waste-product; oxygen. Oxygen is probably poisonous to very primitive proto life organisms. So there are very few places left on Earth for them to evolve.

2) Well, lunch. Earth now is crawling with organisms that would love a primitive, defenseless proto life thing for lunch.

Hans
Understatement of the year so far.

Atmosphere
- around 60°C to 80°C
- composed mostly of hydrogen, ammonia, water vapour, and methane
- no oxygen or nitrogen yet

Oceans
- planet-wide
- no land masses or polar ice caps
- likely green in colour due to a high amount of iron ions in the water
- temperatures around 55°C to 85°C

This is what the early Archean Eon probably looked like at the time life began, utterly hostile to current life as we know it, and why abiogenesis is not an ongoing process... i.e., no new amino acids.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:10 PM   #91
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Mars is the only planet we know of that is inhabited only by robots.
Old 21st February 2021, 11:48 PM   #92
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I wish I'd said that.
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:45 AM   #93
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
aka Solaria (Asimov reference because I am currently re-reading some of his books)
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:08 AM   #94
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I'm curious and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. What happened to the touchdown assist craft after it dropped the rover on the surface? Did it have any other function beyond that like fly around and take pictures until it ran out of fuel or anything else?
Just seems like giving it more purpose, since it was there anyway would have made it's life more fulfilling.

Last edited by Mike!; 22nd February 2021 at 08:09 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:23 AM   #95
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'm curious and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. What happened to the touchdown assist craft after it dropped the rover on the surface? Did it have any other function beyond that like fly around and take pictures until it ran out of fuel or anything else?
Just seems like giving it more purpose, since it was there anyway would have made it's life more fulfilling.

NASA wrote about the Descent Stage, one of several mechanical components of the Mars 2020 spacecraft:

Quote:
The descent stage is the rover’s free-flying “jetpack,” which separates from the backshell and uses eight engines to slow the final descent. It also contains the landing radar system used to make last-minute decisions about touchdown. Just before touchdown, the descent stage lowers the rover on cables before gently placing it on the surface. Once the rover is on the ground, the descent stage flies off to make its own uncontrolled landing on the surface, a safe distance away from the rover.

Source:
NASA. Spacecraft Overview.
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/spacecraft/overview/

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 22nd February 2021 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added another text highlight, and added some text, changed font color.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:44 AM   #96
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

"Uncontrolled landing."
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:53 AM   #97
sackett
Philosopher

The descent stage in future missions might carry a few low-weight experiments, e.g., evaluating materials exposed to Martian conditions.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:53 AM   #98
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
NASA wrote about the Descent Stage, one of several mechanical components of the Mars 2020 spacecraft:

Source:
NASA. Spacecraft Overview.
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/spacecraft/overview/
"Uncontrolled landing." = crash, right?

Well I hope they used that crash/uncontrolled landing to do some kind of seismic science or at least something else useful back at the newly landed rover.

I would think you'd try to pack every bit of reasonable information gathering possible into most every aspect of the mission you could to get the most bang per buck.

Last edited by Mike!; 22nd February 2021 at 09:55 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:16 AM   #99
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

"Uncontrolled landing." = crash, right?
"Premature or inadvertent contact with the ground" is the best euphemism for crash I ever came across. 'Twas in an article in Aviation Week many moons ago.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:29 AM   #100
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, "uncontrolled landing" is a euphemism for crashing. And yes, we engineers really do think up these euphemisms with tongue firmly in cheek. But often we need them when the tone of some document requires dispassionate wording.

Yes, hopefully future missions will be comfortable enough with the skycrane technique that the descent stages can soft-land somewhere and expand mission capability. For now, the descent stage has only one job. It lasts only a couple minutes, but it must do that job perfectly. And for now, it remains a hard job. So I can understand why initially you wouldn't want to complicate things.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:31 AM   #101
Mike!

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
"Premature or inadvertent contact with the ground" is the best euphemism for crash I ever came across. 'Twas in an article in Aviation Week many moons ago.
More inevitable than inadvertent in this case.
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:08 AM   #102
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think they call it UFIT now - Uncontrolled Flight Into Terrain.

Myself, I prefer the term "lithobreaking".. yes , literally spelled that way!

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd February 2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:46 PM   #103
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

NASA is showing the videos of the landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQwuYZbA6o
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:34 PM   #104
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
"Uncontrolled landing."
Your summation is clear and concise.

I learned from your example.

I'm so wordy it hurts.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 22nd February 2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Removed a sentence to be more concise.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:42 PM   #105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, "uncontrolled landing" is a euphemism for crashing. And yes, we engineers really do think up these euphemisms with tongue firmly in cheek. But often we need them when the tone of some document requires dispassionate wording.
More than one SpaceX prototype has undergone spontaneous unplanned disassembly.
Old 22nd February 2021, 03:19 PM   #106
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I wish I'd said that.
So do I.
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:42 PM   #107
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Perserverance's decent and landing.
https://youtu.be/qC4wdD14VzE
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:45 PM   #108
3point14
Pi

Yes, hopefully future missions will be comfortable enough with the skycrane technique that the descent stages can soft-land somewhere and expand mission capability. For now, the descent stage has only one job. It lasts only a couple minutes, but it must do that job perfectly. And for now, it remains a hard job. So I can understand why initially you wouldn't want to complicate things.
Would it really be worth the extra weight?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:40 PM   #109
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Perserverance's decent and landing.
https://youtu.be/qC4wdD14VzE
Fan-bloody-tastic!!!!
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:16 AM   #110
3point14
Pi

The parachute used is a stunning piece of engineering, capable of opening at ludicrous speeds in limited atmosphere and this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...he_message_in/

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:40 AM   #111
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
The parachute used is a stunning piece of engineering, capable of opening at ludicrous speeds in limited atmosphere and this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...he_message_in/
Adam Steltzner, Perseverance's chief engineer, and the man behind the "skycrane" concept, has confirmed the riddle had been solved.

"It looks like the internet has cracked the code in something like 6 hours! Oh internet is there anything you can’t do?"

The mismatching red and white stripes were the first clue. Puzzle solvers then converted those into binary code - ones for red, zeros for white. The ones and zeros were then separated into groups of 10, and each of those sections had 64 added to it.

Each final number represented a the ASCII code for letters of the alphabet.
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:25 PM   #112
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

For those who don't click Reddit links, the message encoded on the parachute was "Dare Mighty Things" and the GPS coordinates of JPL.
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:30 PM   #113
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Adam Steltzner, Perseverance's chief engineer, and the man behind the "skycrane" concept, has confirmed the riddle had been solved.

"It looks like the internet has cracked the code in something like 6 hours! Oh internet is there anything you can’t do?"

The mismatching red and white stripes were the first clue. Puzzle solvers then converted those into binary code - ones for red, zeros for white. The ones and zeros were then separated into groups of 10, and each of those sections had 64 added to it.

Each final number represented a the ASCII code for letters of the alphabet.
Very cool. When I first saw it I was wondering why it was colored that way because there didn't seem to be a practical reason an I thought it might be a code. I didn't have time to work on it. These things happen fast these days.
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:16 PM   #114
Steve001
Graduate Poster

It flew away to a crash landing.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:17 PM   #115
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Very cool. When I first saw it I was wondering why it was colored that way because there didn't seem to be a practical reason an I thought it might be a code. I didn't have time to work on it. These things happen fast these days.
The "official" reason is that the pattern is there so that they can precisely track how the parachute moves and flexes during descent. That they happened to hack an appropriate pattern into a code is just a bonus.
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:37 PM   #116
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Would it really be worth the extra weight?
It depends. We're talking about adding weight to expand the mission. There are some that would question whether anything these probes are doing on Mars is worth even a fraction of the money and effort it takes to get it done. By terrestrial standards, they're doing miniscule amounts of science at astronomical cost.

But if you're in the camp that the current missions are worth the cost (and the weight), then it should probably follow that expanding these missions even by a little bit will also be worth the expanded cost (and weight).

My view is, go big or go home. If we've decided that doing science on Mars is a good investment of resources, then we should probably throw as much weight as we can, and do as much science as that weight affords. That said, I'm still not in favor of manned missions. I think that after taking human safety into account, the science-per-dollar is way more profitable using robots, even though the robots will do way less science.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:04 PM   #117
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It depends. We're talking about adding weight to expand the mission. There are some that would question whether anything these probes are doing on Mars is worth even a fraction of the money and effort it takes to get it done. By terrestrial standards, they're doing miniscule amounts of science at astronomical cost.

But if you're in the camp that the current missions are worth the cost (and the weight), then it should probably follow that expanding these missions even by a little bit will also be worth the expanded cost (and weight).

My view is, go big or go home. If we've decided that doing science on Mars is a good investment of resources, then we should probably throw as much weight as we can, and do as much science as that weight affords. That said, I'm still not in favor of manned missions. I think that after taking human safety into account, the science-per-dollar is way more profitable using robots, even though the robots will do way less science.
Way... way.. waaaay less science

The Apollo 17 astronauts explored a few square kilometres of the lunar surface, driving the LRV a cumulative distance of approximately 36 km in a total drive time of about four hours and twenty-six minutes; They walked up to 7.6 km from the LRV. . They did all that during three surface EVA's totaling 22h 3m 57s.

Curiosity Rover has driven 24 km in.... 8 years!

A human can see something interesting, make an immediate decision to walk over and pick it up, and make a decision on the spot as to whether it is worth further examination or not... can turn over things, look behind things, and make decisions based on what it sees. We haven't even begun to design a space-faring robot that can do anything like this.

Brilliant as Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity have been, they are/were extremely limited in what they could do. A couple of humans on the surface of Mars could have achieved everything they have done over the last 17 years... in less than a couple of weeks

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd February 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:20 PM   #118
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There are more easter eggs!

Mars rover Perseverance's giant parachute carried a secret message from NASA

Quote:
The huge parachute used by NASA's Perseverance rover to land on Mars contained a secret message, thanks to a puzzle-lover on the spacecraft team.

Systems engineer Ian Clark used a binary code to spell out "Dare Mighty Things" in the orange and white strips of the 21-metre parachute.

He also included the GPS coordinates for the mission's headquarters at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

Another added touch not widely known until touchdown: Perseverance bears a plaque depicting all five of NASA's Mars rovers in increasing size over the years — similar to the family car decals seen on Earth.

Deputy project manager Matt Wallace has promised more so-called hidden Easter eggs.

They should be visible once Perseverance's 2-metre arm is deployed in a few days and starts photographing under the vehicle, and again when the rover is driving in a couple of weeks' time.

"[You] definitely, definitely should keep a good lookout," he said.
Old 24th February 2021, 07:54 AM   #119
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Not sure that's worthwhile. It's mostly propellant tanks, thrusters, cable-handling mechanisms, and some structure. What you'd need to add...long-term power and thermal control systems, instrumentation, independent communications...pretty much amounts to a whole new probe, or at least a weather station or something that could be dropped with the rover and deployed somewhere at a later time.

However, the sky-crane approach was in large part a result of a limited mass budget. Simpler approaches might be possible for missions sized for the Falcon Heavy.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 08:01 AM   #120
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I was thinking more in terms of mission budget for weight.

If you've got spare weight on the disposable sky crane bit, perhaps you'd be better served by adding functionality to the long term rover rather than the soon to be crash landed skycrane.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology