IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th April 2021, 07:55 AM   #241
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Third flight completed (announced moments ago as I type on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere)
Old 1st May 2021, 03:46 AM   #242
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Mars Ingenuity helicopter mission extended by Nasa

Quote:
In the helicopter's new operational phase, it will fly up to a kilometre ahead of the rover, scouting for promising geological features and exploring areas that Perseverance cannot reach.

It will also make digital elevation maps, helping scientists to better understand the terrain.

The hope is this will demonstrate how aerial mobility could help future missions.
Old 8th May 2021, 03:19 AM   #243
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Some footage from Ingenuity's 5th flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQxUcjL4vM

It has moved to a new location.
Old 8th May 2021, 03:36 AM   #244
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Airfield B, waiting to be joined by Perseverance
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2021, 01:33 PM   #245
jonesdave116
Philosopher

Video with sound;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndHgKUuWQI

You can hear the 'copter and the wind.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2021, 04:31 PM   #246
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

A technical problem cropped up in Ingenuity's sixth flight. The helicopter survived the flight, but it's a bit concerning:

Surviving an In-Flight Anomaly: What Happened on Ingenuity’s Sixth Flight (Mission blog)
Old 29th May 2021, 10:28 AM   #247
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

A technical problem cropped up in Ingenuity's sixth flight. The helicopter survived the flight, but it's a bit concerning:

Surviving an In-Flight Anomaly: What Happened on Ingenuity’s Sixth Flight (Mission blog)

Considering the general history of First Flights, that's no too bad.
This is a steep learning curve.

Hans
Old 30th May 2021, 08:40 PM   #248
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's a Scott Manley video, so pretty good stuff. You can see a map that shows where both the rover and the helicopter have been so far, and he does some explaining too.
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:52 PM   #249
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

NASA's Mars rover has picked up a rock — which actually isn't so easy, OK?
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:00 PM   #250
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Rock on, Perseverance!
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:40 PM   #251
erlando
Master Poster

Turns out those humans actually can contribute to exploration.. I.e picking up rocks

Seriously though if this succeeds all the way (including leaving samples, picking them up and returning them successfully to Earth) that will be the greatest engineering feat ever accomplished. I'm so hoping to experience that.
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:08 AM   #252
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Turns out those humans actually can contribute to exploration.. I.e picking up rocks.
I know you are kidding here, but seriously, that is the difference between sending a machine to do the job, and sending humans. In the time it has taken the machine to accomplish the relatively simple task of taking a small core sample, a human could have collected a truck load of them. Yes, I know this was just a sample for return at a later date, but the point is clear. Until we can design a robot that has the mobility, flexibility and autonomous decision-making ability of a person, humans will always be able to accomplish more science in any given time period.

Not saying that machines don't have their place... Of course, both would be ideal.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2021, 06:57 AM   #253
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I know you are kidding here, but seriously, that is the difference between sending a machine to do the job, and sending humans. In the time it has taken the machine to accomplish the relatively simple task of taking a small core sample, a human could have collected a truck load of them.
We don't even need to land people on Mars. If we put people in orbit around Mars, they could better control robots that could probably explore more of Mars in a few days than all of the previous probes and rovers have explored.

Last edited by jadebox; 3rd September 2021 at 07:01 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2021, 03:00 AM   #254
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yOplTC...ture=emb_title
Old 24th December 2021, 08:58 AM   #255
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Very impressive!!!
Old 9th February 2022, 02:20 AM   #256
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://www.space.com/mars-helicopte...flight-success

Quote:
The dust storm couldn't keep NASA's Mars helicopter Ingenuity grounded forever.

The 4-pound (1.8 kilograms) Ingenuity aced a 100-second sortie on Tuesday (Feb. 8), its 19th Red Planet flight overall but its first since Dec. 15.

The flight had originally been targeted for Jan. 5. But on New Year's Day, a big dust storm kicked up near the 28-mile-wide (45 kilometers) Jezero Crater, which Ingenuity and its robotic partner, NASA's Perseverance rover, have been exploring since February 2021.

The Ingenuity team decided to stand down until the dust storm passed, making Ingenuity the first aircraft ever to have a flight delayed by inclement weather on another planet.
The hilighted made me smile.

Great everything is still going so well.
Old 28th April 2022, 07:15 PM   #257
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ingenuity has photographed Perseverence's parachute and backshell, which is just so damn cool.
Old 28th April 2022, 07:46 PM   #258
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That is cool.

What is even more cool is that Ingenuity was planned to make a maximum of five flights within 30 Sols, if everything went well.....

423 Sols since Perseverance landed, and this was Ingenuity's 27th flight!
Old 28th April 2022, 09:40 PM   #259
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That is cool.

What is even more cool is that Ingenuity was planned to make a maximum of five flights within 30 Sols, if everything went well.....

423 Sols since Perseverance landed, and this was Ingenuity's 27th flight!
WE have a habit of over-designing for Mars, it seems....

https://xkcd.com/1504/
Old 29th April 2022, 12:10 AM   #260
erlando
Master Poster

The over-performance of Ingenuity is insane. It's my new favorite space craft.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:33 AM   #261
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
The over-performance of Ingenuity is insane. It's my new favorite space craft.
Toss-up between Ingenuity and JWST in my opinion.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:52 AM   #262
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

27 flights so far. Very cool pictures.

https://archive.ph/MyWrW

Anyone want to see a solar eclipse on Mars?

Quote:
A camera on NASA’s Perseverance rover captured an eclipse of the sun by Phobos, the larger of Mars’s two moons. Video by NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/MSSS/SSI.
Old 29th April 2022, 01:38 AM   #263
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I did see the eclipse video. It was insanely cool.
Old 29th April 2022, 03:08 AM   #264
erlando
Master Poster

Toss-up between Ingenuity and JWST in my opinion.
JWST will no doubt be a heavy competitor when it starts delivering data. Exciting times ahead
Old 1st May 2022, 05:23 PM   #265
sts60
Illuminator

“Suppressed NASA footage of Martian spaceship wreckage’!”
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2022, 05:52 PM   #266
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
27 flights so far. Very cool pictures.

https://archive.ph/MyWrW
Is that a cat in the lower left of that photo?
Old 1st May 2022, 08:02 PM   #267
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Well, not a cat as we know it. It's clearly some kind of Martian Super Cat that can bring down a spacecraft with its atomic laser-vision.
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:15 AM   #268
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Its the shadow of the helicopter.
Old 17th September 2022, 04:41 AM   #269
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Mars Perseverance Rover Finds Organic Matter in Rock

Quote:
Organic molecules in Wildcat Ridge
A rock named Wildcat Ridge, located in an ancient river delta region of Jezero Crater, was one of the stars of the show. Percy successfully collected two samples from the mudstone rock. Wildcat Ridge is particularly exciting because the organic molecules (called aromatics) found in it are considered a potential biosignature, which NASA describes as a substance or structure that could be evidence of past life but may also have been produced without the presence of life.
Quote:
Sample drop
Percy currently has 12 rock samples on board, including the Wildcat Ridge pieces and samples from another sedimentary delta rock called Skinner Ridge. It also collected igneous rock samples earlier in the mission that point to the impact of long-ago volcanic action in the crater.

NASA is so happy with the diversity of samples collected that it's looking into dropping some of the filled tubes off on the surface soon in preparation for the future Mars Sample Return (MSR) campaign. MSR is an ambitious plan to send a lander to Mars, pick up Percy's samples, rocket them off the surface and bring them back to Earth for close study. The mission is under development. If all goes as planned, those rocks could be here by 2033.
Old 17th September 2022, 10:56 PM   #270
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

That is very cool.

Sure, aromatics can be produced without life, but even if that is the case, actually studying rocks directly from Mars will be interesting.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 08:24 PM   #271
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Meanwhile, MOXIE has been quietly succeeding in every test run. Concept proved. We can make oxygen from atmospheric carbon dioxide.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology