IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags spiders

Old 12th November 2021, 12:58 AM   #41
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Wow. Comparable to some tarantulas in size.
Yeah, but unlike tarantulas, very deadly. I would happily sleep surrounded by hundreds of tarantulas rather than our normal sized funnel webs, let alone this bugger.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2021, 01:29 AM   #42
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I can't sleep as it is, and now this.
Old 17th November 2021, 05:20 PM   #43
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Favourite story:

Late a night, on a country road, in pitch dark, while I was changing a blown tyre on my car, we* could hear something coming towards us on the 'soft shoulder' of the road.

Because of where we were, I was a bit worried that it may be a lamb, separated from it's mother.

Pointing my torch in that direction, I didn't find a lamb, but did find a pair of incredibly reflective eyes a ground level...

It was a huntsman, literally bigger than my hand.

It was so big, it was turning over loose gravel as it was walking towards us, and that was what we could hear.

* Note: there were four of us there that night, and I've never been happier to have company!
Old 18th November 2021, 05:00 PM   #44
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I'm neither an avoider nor a fan of spiders; I just don't care much one way or the other about them. But one experience I had with them was so unexpected that it has stuck with me for over two decades since then. I was in the middle of a quiet forest, miles from anything else but more forest, in southern Missouri. I sat down for lunch, and neither I nor anything else around me was making any noise for a while. Then I noticed several small spiders, not much bigger than the minimum size to be able to spot them and identify them as spiders at all, walking around near me, starting & stopping & going again repeatedly. And occasionally, while standing still, they'd vibrate either their jaws or their chelicerae (I don't know which), and make a rapid tapping/clicking/rattling sound for a second or two which I could actually hear! The idea of something so tiny making a sound that I'd ever be able to hear was so odd that I didn't even believe it myself until I'd watched them long enough to see & hear it several times.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2021, 03:32 PM   #45
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Hmm...

Very interesting.

That makes me wonder if it could have been competition for territory?
Old 10th January 2022, 06:17 PM   #46
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Spiders in the car: Check this one spot before driving to prevent a crash

tl;dr: the sun visor.

Quote:
Alis was nearly killed by a huntsman spider, but the spider never touched her.

It appeared in her car as she was driving and the shock of it caused her to swerve suddenly, rolling the vehicle and landing her in hospital.

"I'm very lucky to be alive," she says.

While there are no statistics for crashes caused by spiders specifically, being distracted is one of the leading causes of car crashes in Australia, says Allan Roark, a driving instructor in Launceston.

"It is one of the fatal five, suddenly being distracted," he says.

Mr Roark says when people get startled their fight-or-flight reflex can kick in.

"No matter which way you turn the wheel, the spider is going to travel with you. So the best thing you can do is just try and keep calm and gently put your foot on the brake.

"Try not to panic. That is a lot easier said than done, particularly if you have a fear of spiders," he says...

Last edited by arthwollipot; 10th January 2022 at 06:18 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 06:30 PM   #47
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

If anyone likes spiders I recently came across a Youtube channel called Dave's Little Beasties:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqV...Ly1MH4If5hx6uQ
Old 19th September 2022, 10:42 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Moves as smooth as silk: scientists uncover Australian ant-slayer spider’s hunting secrets

Quote:
With stealth followed by speedy acrobatics, Euryopis umbilicata can successfully catch banded sugar ants twice its size

A mid-air cartwheel, the judicious use of sticky silk and a quick rappel down a tree, all in the blink of an eye: researchers have identified how the Australian ant-slayer spider captures prey twice its size.

The acrobatic behaviour of the Australian ant-slayer spider, Euryopis umbilicata, as it hunts and eats banded sugar ants has been documented by scientists for the first time.

During the day, the ant-slayer hides under the bark of Eucalyptus trees. At night, it perches on tree trunks and waits for the approach of unsuspecting ants. The tiny arachnid measures up to 6mm in size and its prey can be around two times larger.

“It has this crazy way of hurtling itself at an ant, doing this fabulous cartwheel then, like Spider-Man, attaching a piece of silk in mid-air to the ant,” said the study’s senior author, Prof Mariella Herberstein of Macquarie University.

“Then it keeps on twirling away from the ant while the ant is being captured. At that stage [the prey’s] fate is sealed.”

All the steps in the spider’s attack sequence occur within less than a second, which Herberstein described as an “unbelievable” feat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology