IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:47 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My Subaru uses a pair of non-rotating cameras for rangefinding. But they're staring straight ahead, and really just getting the distance to the car in front.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:57 AM   #42
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You need to calculate an angle, but a computer doesn't need to physically rotate the camera to calculate that angle. In fact, that's counter-productive.
Right, but this isn't the way humans do it, which was the subject under discussion.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:28 PM   #43
Disbelief
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Aren't there ultrasonic sensors on a Tesla? What role do they play?

ETA: I tried to google this subject before asking that question and have continued a bit more. It gives me a headache. A lot of confusing information out there. A lot of writers seem to conflate radar, lidar, and sonar.
I believe that because of supply chain issues, Tesla decided to go with only cameras for new vehicles. I am not positive, so take my memory with a grain of salt, but I believe that's the case. I know Musk is against Lidar and has taken jabs at the competitors that use it, but it may truly be the way forward. Guess we'll find out in the next few years.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:51 PM   #44
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Right, but this isn't the way humans do it, which was the subject under discussion.
Both humans and Teslas determine distance by stereoscopic vision. The fact that there's some differences in implementation doesn't eliminate the basic commonality. This is unnecessary nitpicking which does not contribute to the subject under discussion.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 02:15 PM   #45
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Both humans and Teslas determine distance by stereoscopic vision. The fact that there's some differences in implementation doesn't eliminate the basic commonality.
Nope.

"The human vision system only supports this stereoscopic depth perception for objects that are between approximately 8 inches and 18 feet. Beyond that, the vision system uses other cues to detect depth and distance. " link
Old 24th August 2022, 02:59 PM   #46
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Aren't there ultrasonic sensors on a Tesla? What role do they play?

ETA: I tried to google this subject before asking that question and have continued a bit more. It gives me a headache. A lot of confusing information out there. A lot of writers seem to conflate radar, lidar, and sonar.
They do. Parking sensors for VERY close objects.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 03:15 PM   #47
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
They do. Parking sensors for VERY close objects.
My 2009 hybrid (HINO*) has proximity sensors for parking, sensing near objects. Also has adaptive cruise control radar. Works quite well. And that's from 13 years ago. The damned thing has worked flawlessly leaving me no excuse to buy a newer auto.

*HINO. Hybrid In Name Only. 25MPG city or highway. V8. Very smooth, easy, quiet driving.
Old 25th August 2022, 04:15 AM   #48
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Nope.

"The human vision system only supports this stereoscopic depth perception for objects that are between approximately 8 inches and 18 feet. Beyond that, the vision system uses other cues to detect depth and distance. " link
This isnít relevant in a thread about cars, not human vision. Humans use stereoscopic vision to determine depth, even if not exclusively. Teslas use stereoscopic vision to determine depth, even if the implementation isnít identical. Thatís my point, and it was obvious. This nitpicking serves no purpose.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology