IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th August 2022, 06:57 PM   #1
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Why do we ignore the moon (NASA wise)?

I guess a short answer could be "well it's just a rock and we probably know about all there is to know about it." I get that but it seems to me we have better and more in-depth pictures of the Mars landscape than the Moon, which is far closer and far easier and cheaper to do. At the least it seems odd to me that of our numerous probes we've sent to wherever over the years that at least one or two didn't, on the way, get some newer and better pics of the Moon... especially, why wouldn't we by now have captured a nice closeup pic of our earlier landing sites, the flag, etc? I would think that would resonate with people (and perhaps shut up the "Moon landing is a hoax" people once and for all).
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 07:38 PM   #2
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I believe you are looking for Artemis, Apollo’s sister.

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 09:23 PM   #3
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Wow thanks, was not aware of this
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 09:46 PM   #4
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I guess a short answer could be "well it's just a rock and we probably know
about all there is to know about it." I get that but it seems to me we have
better and more in-depth pictures of the Mars landscape than the Moon,
which is far closer and far easier and cheaper to do.

At the least it seems odd to me that of our numerous probes we've sent
to wherever over the years that at least one or two didn't, on the way,
get some newer and better pics of the Moon... especially, why wouldn't
we by now have captured a nice closeup pic of our earlier landing sites,
the flag, etc?

I would think that would resonate with people (and perhaps shut up the
"Moon landing is a hoax" people once and for all).

If we did aim the Hubble Space Telescope at the moon landing sites,
they'd claim the photo had been faked on a computer.

I wonder...

Do people who enjoy blurry UFO photos claim the moon landing were faked?
Old 20th August 2022, 10:57 PM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. But I started a thread on Artemis a few years ago.

Anyone who follows NASA news should be aware of this mission. It's like the first time we are going back to the moon in over 50 years.

We are now at a point where nobody younger than about 60 years old remembers the moon landings, from living through them. You've probably read books about it or seen movies about it, but you didn't see it, or were too young to remember it, because the last manned moon landing happened in 1972.
Old 21st August 2022, 02:21 AM   #6
SteveAitch
Muse

And ESA have apparently arranged for an English astronaut to go on the next mission...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 05:38 AM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Everybody knows that if you live in a tourist area, you never visit your own featured sites.
Old 21st August 2022, 06:20 AM   #8
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. But I started a thread on Artemis a few years ago.

Anyone who follows NASA news should be aware of this mission. It's like the first time we are going back to the moon in over 50 years.

We are now at a point where nobody younger than about 60 years old remembers the moon landings, from living through them. You've probably read books about it or seen movies about it, but you didn't see it, or were too young to remember it, because the last manned moon landing happened in 1972.
Or for some people!

This is a real issue. I find it very surprising that we haven't been able to do something that was supposedly done sixty years ago. Is there any other technical feat that could be done sixty years ago that we cannot do (relatively) easily now?

That is not to say that i believe the Apollo landings were a hoax, but that one can understand why people might think that it was.

For my part, the moon is quite boring, Mars is far more interesting, but the really exciting mission would be establishing a manned mission to jupiter with an ability to intensively study Jupiter and its moons with retrieval missions.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 06:21 AM   #9
jadebox
Master Poster

And there is this ....

LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/L...ollosites.html
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 06:30 AM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You are most welcome.

(I’m acting all smug, but I just heard it on the radio a few days ago.)

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 06:31 AM   #11
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
This is a real issue. I find it very surprising that we haven't been able to do something that was supposedly done sixty years ago. Is there any other technical feat that could be done sixty years ago that we cannot do (relatively) easily now?
It mostly came down to money.

NASA's budget during the Apollo years was about 1.5 to 4.5% of the US budget. After Apollo, it dropped to about one half of one percent. After Apollo, NASA developed the Space Shuttle, built the International Space Station, and delivered satellites and sent probes to explore more of the universe.

Now, they have tbe technology and infrastructure to return people to the Moon within their limited budget.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 10:36 PM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any other technical feat that could be done sixty years ago that we cannot do (relatively) easily now?
Making nuclear power plants. Interstate highways. The Empire State Building was built in a year; now 100+-story buildings take years to build.
Old 22nd August 2022, 01:08 AM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Congratulations! You are one of today's lucky 10,000.

Yeah, Artemis is huge. In many ways. The Space Launch System itself is a truly gargantuan rocket, much bigger than anything else anybody has ever launched.

Artemis 1 is scheduled for launch, not counting the inevitable delays, next week. It's going to go to the moon, do a few orbits, then come back. The first crewed flight will be Artemis 2 in May 2024. The first people to walk on the moon since 1972, including the first woman and the first person of colour, should be underway in 2025.

Oh yes, prospects for the moon are definitely looking up.
Old 22nd August 2022, 01:20 AM   #14
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

We need to go back for the poop and check whether any bacteria have survived!
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:13 AM   #15
wobs
Master Poster

We ignore the moon at our peril:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=360764
Old 22nd August 2022, 04:01 PM   #16
Reformed Offlian
Graduate Poster

Minmus yields more science, and easier to get back from.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:00 AM   #17
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Making nuclear power plants. Interstate highways. The Empire State Building was built in a year; now 100+-story buildings take years to build.
I'd add decent water and sewage infrastructure, railways and supersonic aircraft to that list.

The limitations aren't technical, they're political and financial.

Leeds has a fine city hall built during the 1930's which is an example of excellent craftspersonship and uses high quality materials. The project was undertaken to provide work and to provide a local civic resource. We could choose to do similar things these days but that kind of project is frowned upon.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:21 AM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'd add decent water and sewage infrastructure, railways and supersonic aircraft to that list.

The limitations aren't technical, they're political and financial.

Leeds has a fine city hall built during the 1930's which is an example of excellent craftspersonship and uses high quality materials. The project was undertaken to provide work and to provide a local civic resource. We could choose to do similar things these days but that kind of project is frowned upon.
And how about those Pyramids? 4,500 years old, and never replicated since.

We could make more of them, even bigger ones I'm sure. Yet we don't.

Last edited by Puppycow; 23rd August 2022 at 07:22 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:28 AM   #19
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Not very good for gigs though:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3246457.stm
I was in the mosh pit at the time, and it wasn't particularly lively, compared with most I've been in.
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:45 AM   #20
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
If we did aim the Hubble Space Telescope at the moon landing sites,
they'd claim the photo had been faked on a computer.
True enough. A video would be better, but with tech today you could fake that too. Just make sure no wookies are accidentally included
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:22 AM   #21
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Not very good for gigs though:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3246457.stm
I was in the mosh pit at the time, and it wasn't particularly lively, compared with most I've been in.
Oops, my mistake

I was referring to the Civic Hall, not the Town Hall.

I couldn't imagine concerts being held in the Civic Hall, the biggest conference room held about 100.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:30 AM   #22
sts60
Illuminator

I worked on the program. There was a helluva lot of ground segment work done in addition to SLS and Orion (which itself has already flown during EFT-1*).

EM-1 is a neat mission; it will go pretty far past the Moon and gather data for a couple of weeks.

As already noted, missions like Clementine and LRO have provided truly excellent imagery, including Apollo artifacts. (Hubble could not resolve such artifacts; it’s too far away.)

*EFT-1 launched a basic Orion capsule on a commercial LV, sending it out into the Van Allen belts and gathering environmental and engineering data. It was similar to Apollos 4 and 6.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 04:24 PM   #23
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

60 years ago? You think too small. We haven't been able to do now what we supposedly did thousands of years ago.
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:04 PM   #24
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

And how about those Pyramids? 4,500 years old, and never replicated since.

We could make more of them, even bigger ones I'm sure. Yet we don't.
Not really pyramid shaped, but many dams could compare. The Hoover dam has about the same volume as the Gisa pyramid, and the Syncrude Tailings dam is over 250 times that.

But yeah, all a matter of what's useful when.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 09:26 AM   #25
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Let's not forget the very high resolution coverage supplied by India's two Chandrayaan probes and the very good coverage by China and Japan.

There's a lot of interest in the moon, and a lot of it doesn't involve pretty pictures.

That said, no matter how exciting one thinks the moon is, its very well studied, photographed and explored surface has to compete with the more exciting looking and less well known parts of the universe for limited funding.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:41 PM   #26
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I worked on the program. There was a helluva lot of ground segment work done in addition to SLS and Orion (which itself has already flown during EFT-1*).

EM-1 is a neat mission; it will go pretty far past the Moon and gather data for a couple of weeks.

As already noted, missions like Clementine and LRO have provided truly excellent imagery, including Apollo artifacts. (Hubble could not resolve such artifacts; it’s too far away.)

*EFT-1 launched a basic Orion capsule on a commercial LV, sending it out into the Van Allen belts and gathering environmental and engineering data. It was similar to Apollos 4 and 6.
Sometimes I love this place!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 02:56 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Scott Manley explains Artemis:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 26th August 2022, 01:56 PM   #28
jadebox
Master Poster

I came here to share Scott Manley's video. :-)

Instead, I'll share this amazing photo from China's Chang'e 5-T1 service module:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141028_CE5T023.jpg (14.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 26th August 2022, 02:33 PM   #29
jonesdave116
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
I came here to share Scott Manley's video. :-)

Instead, I'll share this amazing photo from China's Chang'e 5-T1 service module:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1&d=1661547335
Me: "Cracking image."

Flat Earther: "Photoshop!!!!"

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2022, 07:41 PM   #30
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Me: "Cracking image."

Flat Earther: "Photoshop!!!!"
Has to be fake. I mean, the moon is like, 10 times the size of the Earth in that picture. Obvious fake!
Old 26th August 2022, 08:39 PM   #31
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Has to be fake. I mean, the moon is like, 10 times the size of the Earth in that picture. Obvious fake!
Comments I saw on Facebook also noted the lack of stars and the dark side of the moon being illuminated. I am pretty sure, though, that the comments were made in jest. Well, most of them.

Last edited by jadebox; 26th August 2022 at 08:40 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology