ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th February 2017, 08:04 AM   #2361
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,352
Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
...and no doubt skeptics and their like will use this case on a one case basis and not compare it to other cases and try to use it as a defense for Trump and/or his opponents.

Oh BTW - Islam is pile of turd as are all religions.

This, forever
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 08:06 AM   #2362
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,352
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
The GALL!
Actually, yes.
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 08:23 AM   #2363
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,431
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
In the world of the MostlyDead are "implied" and "literally" synonyms?

Because you seem to be implying that they are.

Literally.
Just think it through, quad.

Do you see a problem with the following:

'The implication was literally in the title.'

Hint:'literally in the title' is a phrase which underscores the position, or prominence, of the clear implication
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 11:33 AM   #2364
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 16,841
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Just think it through, quad.

Do you see a problem with the following:

'The implication was literally in the title.'

Hint:'literally in the title' is a phrase which underscores the position, or prominence, of the clear implication

There are structures where "literally" is used as emphasis for something. In the sentence in question there wasn't anything for the "literally" to emphasize.

In your alternative example "implication" was being emphasized. That usage is acceptable (to some, although not good practice in many cases, if only because of the potential for confusion.)

In TBD's statement the only thing which could be emphasized would be "the fact". That "fact" being that "SLAPP" is "in the title".

Leaving us with ...

Synonyms for "literally";

exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; without question, unquestionably, indisputably.

It was clearly, actually, unquestionably, indisputably, literally a claim that the title contained the acronym "SLAPP".

TBD misspoke. Let him deal with the fallout himself. Such tortured efforts to try and cover for him only make you look as silly as he does.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th February 2017 at 11:36 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 11:44 AM   #2365
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There are structures where "literally" is used as emphasis for something. In the sentence in question there wasn't anything for the "literally" to emphasize.

In your alternative example "implication" was being emphasized. That usage is acceptable (to some, although not good practice, if only because of the potential for confusion.)

In TBD's statement the only thing which could be emphasized would be "the fact". That "fact" being that "SLAPP" is "in the title".

Leaving us with ...

Synonyms for "literally";

exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; without question, unquestionably, indisputably.

It was clearly, actually, unquestionably, indisputably, literally a claim that the title contained the acronym "SLAPP".

TBD misspoke. Let him deal with the fallout himself. Such tortured efforts to try and cover for him only make you look as silly as he does.
Literally utterly false.

"Protip, the fact that it is a SLAPP suit is literally in the title of the document."

The fact being claimed was that "IT is a SLAPP suit," and the title of the document was as i have already explained the title of order was order on the motion to dismiss based on the "texas citizens participation act." You are desperately flailing around trying to put in words that i never said.

Really sad, but strangely makes sense in a misguided but desperate attempt to hide the fact that the Lil Inventor and his money grubbing family are trying to stifle free speech.
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 11:51 AM   #2366
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Sorry, I'm not going to let this one drop. When I said I had not read the judge's decision, you told me:
  • A link to it had already been posted in this discussion
  • The fact it's a SLAPP suit is in the document's title
I've looked at every entry made in this thread since February 2 and I do not see such a link.

Put up or shut up. Where is the link to this document you're saying has already been posted in this thread?
Still waiting ...
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 11:55 AM   #2367
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Still waiting ...
still lying, you meant.

sad.
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 12:01 PM   #2368
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,352
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 05:20 PM   #2369
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
still lying, you meant.

sad.
About what?

You said there was a link to the court decision in this this thread. I can't find it. You said the document title describes it as a SLAPP suit. I can't find that document. If it exists, please supply the post number in which it is referenced.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 06:07 PM   #2370
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
There has been only one link posted in this thread since it restarted on February 2, from Applecorped's post #2305:

‘Clock boy’ defamation case explodes in court — ordered to pay attorney fees

I note the term "SLAPP" does not occur in the title.

Now, it's a "document" in these sense that it documents something, even if it is a page on the Web. But not in the sense of being a court document, which is what I have assumed to now we have been discussing. The actual court document is here:

ORDER - DISMISSAL

The word "SLAPP" does not appear in it.

Now, please, can you show me which document you're referring to? The one with the word "SLAPP" in its title?
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
About what?

You said there was a link to the court decision in this this thread. I can't find it. You said the document title describes it as a SLAPP suit. I can't find that document. If it exists, please supply the post number in which it is referenced.
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 08:18 PM   #2371
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Very funny. Now where's the link you were talking about? The one you mentioned before I posted mine.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
still lying, you meant.

sad.
Please clarify what it is you're accusing me of lying about.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 6th February 2017 at 08:21 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 08:25 PM   #2372
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,431
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There are structures where "literally" is used as emphasis for something. In the sentence in question there wasn't anything for the "literally" to emphasize.

In your alternative example "implication" was being emphasized. That usage is acceptable (to some, although not good practice in many cases, if only because of the potential for confusion.)

In TBD's statement the only thing which could be emphasized would be "the fact". That "fact" being that "SLAPP" is "in the title".

Leaving us with ...

Synonyms for "literally";

exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; without question, unquestionably, indisputably.

It was clearly, actually, unquestionably, indisputably, literally a claim that the title contained the acronym "SLAPP".

TBD misspoke. Let him deal with the fallout himself. Such tortured efforts to try and cover for him only make you look as silly as he does.
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 09:22 PM   #2373
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 20,770
This argument is absurd.

As pointed out two pages ago by Puppycow, even Popehat - an actual lawyer - has said that Clock Boy's family's suit was determined by the judge to be a SLAPP suit and was thusly dismissed under Texas' anti-SLAPP statute:

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
At the link Puppycow posted, one can find a further link to the motion the judge granted, which is entitled

Quote:
DEFENDANTS KDFW FOX 4 AND BEN FERGUSON’S MOTION TO DISMISS PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 27 OF THE TEXAS CIVIL PRACTICE & REMEDIES CODE
Chapter 27 of the Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code is Texas' anti-SLAPP statute.

Now enough with this nonsense already.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 6th February 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 06:43 AM   #2374
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This argument is absurd.

As pointed out two pages ago by Puppycow, even Popehat - an actual lawyer - has said that Clock Boy's family's suit was determined by the judge to be a SLAPP suit and was thusly dismissed under Texas' anti-SLAPP statute.

At the link Puppycow posted, one can find a further link to the motion the judge granted, which is entitled
Quote:
DEFENDANTS KDFW FOX 4 AND BEN FERGUSON’S MOTION TO DISMISS PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 27 OF THE TEXAS CIVIL PRACTICE & REMEDIES CODE
Chapter 27 of the Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code is Texas' anti-SLAPP statute.

Now enough with this nonsense already.
Thank you! The Big Dog owes you something for doing his homework for him.

I had searched this thread from February 3 (previously I had written Feb 2), when there was a posting about the court granting a motion by Ben Shapiro to dismiss a suit against him, and to now that's the document I've been referring to. It appears The Big Dog was referring to the link you just posted, which was made two weeks earlier when the judge granted a motion by Fox News and Ben Ferguson (and others) to dismiss.

The Big Dog has grandstanded, stonewalled, insulted Ahmed Mohamed, and accused me of lying, instead of, you know, actually posting the link I asked for!

And he still has not posted any evidence that:
  • Ahmed Mohamed's father gave the idea for the case mod to his son
  • That he cooked up the entire scheme as a way to bilk money out of the school system
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 7th February 2017 at 06:59 AM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 07:16 AM   #2375
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Thank you! The Big Dog owes you something for doing his homework for him.

I had searched this thread from February 3 (previously I had written Feb 2), when there was a posting about the court granting a motion by Ben Shapiro to dismiss a suit against him, and to now that's the document I've been referring to. It appears The Big Dog was referring to the link you just posted, which was made two weeks earlier when the judge granted a motion by Fox News and Ben Ferguson (and others) to dismiss.

The Big Dog has grandstanded, stonewalled, insulted Ahmed Mohamed, and accused me of lying, instead of, you know, actually posting the link I asked for!

And he still has not posted any evidence that:
  • Ahmed Mohamed's father gave the idea for the case mod to his son
  • That he cooked up the entire scheme as a way to bilk money out of the school system
The Order was the document I was referring to, the order that granted the motion to dismiss based on the the Texas anti-Slapp statute entitled The Texas Citizen Participation Act and that awarded attorney fees against Clock Boy and his Family and that was based on the very same statute that Fox News and Ferguson filed their motion to dismiss based on.

The actual order.

I have never seen a more disingenuous series of posts than yours.

Unbelievable.

The fact that clock boy and his disreputable family were behind this from the get go is proven by the existence of these despicable anti-free speech suits and their mercenary behavior in staging photos among other things.

The Lil Inventor did not say it was a "case mod" he said it was an "invention."
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 11:04 AM   #2376
xjx388
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,692
I'm glad to see this kind of case get SLAPPed down in the courts.

It's obvious now that the kid didn't actually invent anything, he only disassembled a clock and clumsily installed it into a pencil case. The reason why he did this was clearly stated: He wanted to impress his teachers. I don't think it goes any further than that. I can see high school teachers being impressed by this; it looks like something a particularly smart kid would do. But obviously, the kid lied about the provenance of his "invention."

I think the school officials, police and one side of the media overreacted but in today's world it's understandable. They turned him into a potential terrorist even after it became clear that he wasn't. They should have issued an apology and been done with it.

But then the other side of the media and his supporters overcompensated -again, in today's world it's understandable. They elevated this kid into some kind of tech whiz who then got noticed by the President and high ranking tech people, even when it was clear that he hadn't actually invented anything.

Overall, this episode doesn't reflect well on either side of the political spectrum. If today's challenges cause us all to become fearmongerers or coddlers, that seems to be a big problem to me. This should have been a blip that we barely even heard about.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 11:59 AM   #2377
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 20,770
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I'm glad to see this kind of case get SLAPPed down in the courts.

It's obvious now that the kid didn't actually invent anything, he only disassembled a clock and clumsily installed it into a pencil case. The reason why he did this was clearly stated: He wanted to impress his teachers. I don't think it goes any further than that. I can see high school teachers being impressed by this; it looks like something a particularly smart kid would do. But obviously, the kid lied about the provenance of his "invention."

I think the school officials, police and one side of the media overreacted but in today's world it's understandable. They turned him into a potential terrorist even after it became clear that he wasn't. They should have issued an apology and been done with it.

But then the other side of the media and his supporters overcompensated -again, in today's world it's understandable. They elevated this kid into some kind of tech whiz who then got noticed by the President and high ranking tech people, even when it was clear that he hadn't actually invented anything.
This is the way I see*this as well. I see the entire event as*segregated into two "baskets" as it were. The first one is Ahmed's deceptive attempt to impress, and the school's silly response. In my opinion,*after the English teacher told*the boy at the beginning of class to put the thing away, and Ahmed instead went and plugged it in somewhere and set the alarm to go off in the middle of class, the English teacher was right to send him to the office, because it was an act of deliberate disruption. I could see a fairly standard response in the form*of an*end-of-day detention or something like that being appropriate. *But then somebody in the office*obviously made this big ruckus about it being a "fake bomb"*and the kid was arrested, and eventually released when police realized the*situation wasn't worth the bad PR.

The second "basket" is the family's legal response in the aftermath. I don't believe for one moment that Ahmed's parents sent him to school with the pried-open clock in a purposeful*attempt to cause a situation that they could*try to*get publicity and a lawsuit*with. They certainly came up with the idea very soon after the situation blew up though. Whether immediately by themselves, or as a*result of the flurry of press attention, really doesn't matter; there are few things more intrinsically "American" that seeing dollar signs when*one perceives one has been mistreated by an institution - and especially when one has been unfairly arrested. If Ahmed's family had*won a suit against the school or the police I would've been happy for them. The suit against the press, though, was out of line and I am satisfied with the result of that suit.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 12:11 PM   #2378
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The Order was the document I was referring to, the order that granted the motion to dismiss based on the the Texas anti-Slapp statute entitled The Texas Citizen Participation Act and that awarded attorney fees against Clock Boy and his Family and that was based on the very same statute that Fox News and Ferguson filed their motion to dismiss based on.

The actual order.

I have never seen a more disingenuous series of posts than yours.
Same here, quite frankly. I asked you five times for a link to the document you were talking about and you never posted one, preferring instead to yammer on about a "document," belittle a teenager, insult his family, and question my honesty.

I can't read your mind. I had no idea you were referring to the link in Puppycow's post #2297 from January 16 instead of applecorped's link in post #2305 from February 3, which bumped the thread. What was so bloody difficult about posting a link? Why did someone else eventually have to do it for you?

Quote:
The fact that clock boy and his disreputable family were behind this from the get go is proven by the existence of these despicable anti-free speech suits and their mercenary behavior in staging photos among other things.
I disagree. The lawsuits came after the fact and were sloppily put together.

Quote:
The Lil Inventor did not say it was a "case mod" he said it was an "invention."
I am perfectly aware he said "invention." You seem to think everyone believes the word "invention" refers to something that never been done before in the history of the world. I see Ahmed's use of the term as an imprecise application of the word to try to get across the fact he did something that was novel for him.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 12:31 PM   #2379
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I can't read your mind. I had no idea you were referring to the link in Puppycow's post #2297 from January 16 instead of applecorped's link in post #2305 from February 3, which bumped the thread. What was so bloody difficult about posting a link? Why did someone else eventually have to do it for you?
False, even after I said that it was the Order I was referring to.

Oh well
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 7th February 2017 at 12:34 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 12:37 PM   #2380
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This is the way I see*this as well. I see the entire event as*segregated into two "baskets" as it were. The first one is Ahmed's deceptive attempt to impress, and the school's silly response. In my opinion,*after the English teacher told*the boy at the beginning of class to put the thing away, and Ahmed instead went and plugged it in somewhere and set the alarm to go off in the middle of class, the English teacher was right to send him to the office, because it was an act of deliberate disruption. I could see a fairly standard response in the form*of an*end-of-day detention or something like that being appropriate. *But then somebody in the office*obviously made this big ruckus about it being a "fake bomb"*and the kid was arrested, and eventually released when police realized the*situation wasn't worth the bad PR.

The second "basket" is the family's legal response in the aftermath. I don't believe for one moment that Ahmed's parents sent him to school with the pried-open clock in a purposeful*attempt to cause a situation that they could*try to*get publicity and a lawsuit*with. They certainly came up with the idea very soon after the situation blew up though. Whether immediately by themselves, or as a*result of the flurry of press attention, really doesn't matter; there are few things more intrinsically "American" that seeing dollar signs when*one perceives one has been mistreated by an institution - and especially when one has been unfairly arrested. If Ahmed's family had*won a suit against the school or the police I would've been happy for them. The suit against the press, though, was out of line and I am satisfied with the result of that suit.
A few things to keep in mind, the Lil inventor intentionally disobeyed several instructions from teachers, he lied about his "invention," his sister had been suspended for making a hoax bomb threat in the same school, and they intentionally staged photographs of the Lil Inventor in handcuffs.
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 12:43 PM   #2381
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
False, even after I said that it was the Order I was referring to.

Oh well
What's false? The fact you never posted a link when you were asked, or that someone else eventually had to do it because you didn't? Because both of those are demonstrable facts.

I suspect it's also possible you don't know what I mean by a link.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 12:49 PM   #2382
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
What's false? The fact you never posted a link when you were asked, or that someone else eventually had to do it because you didn't? Because both of those are demonstrable facts.

I suspect it's also possible you don't know what I mean by a link.
This is false:

"you were referring to the link in Puppycow's post #2297 from January 16 instead of applecorped's link in post #2305 from February 3."

Oh well, I can see that you intend to continue to think that you are evading the fact that Lil Inventor and his family got hammered for their SLAPP lawsuit.

In fact rather than doing so you are highlighting the fact of it (and your lack of knowledge of basic laws regarding SLAPP lawsuits)

your misrepresentation about the alarm inadvertently going off in class was exposed, and so was this one.

Oh well, more grist for the mill.
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 02:19 PM   #2383
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
This is false:

"you were referring to the link in Puppycow's post #2297 from January 16 instead of applecorped's link in post #2305 from February 3."
Now I'm confused. Puppycow's post #2297 has in it a link that matches what what you've been describing: it contains the term "SLAPP" in its title and it specifically mentions the Texas statue. But you're now saying this is not the link or the document you had in mind?

But it can't be applecorped's link in post #2305, because that's a link to EAG News, and that article doesn't even mention SLAPP or the statute.

Quote:
Oh well, I can see that you intend to continue to think that you are evading the fact that Lil Inventor and his family got hammered for their SLAPP lawsuit.
After reading the PopeHat blog entry it's obvious Mohamed's suit against various media parties was dismissed with prejudice, and an order for the plaintiff to pay the defendant's fees, under the Texas version of anti-SLAPP laws.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 02:24 PM   #2384
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
After reading the PopeHat blog entry it's obvious Mohamed's suit against various media parties was dismissed with prejudice, and an order for the plaintiff to pay the defendant's fees, under the Texas version of anti-SLAPP laws.
Then why in god's name have you been wasting all of time here??????
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 02:43 PM   #2385
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This is the way I see*this as well. I see the entire event as*segregated into two "baskets" as it were. The first one is Ahmed's deceptive attempt to impress, and the school's silly response. In my opinion,*after the English teacher told*the boy at the beginning of class to put the thing away, and Ahmed instead went and plugged it in somewhere and set the alarm to go off in the middle of class, the English teacher was right to send him to the office, because it was an act of deliberate disruption. I could see a fairly standard response in the form*of an*end-of-day detention or something like that being appropriate. *But then somebody in the office*obviously made this big ruckus about it being a "fake bomb"*and the kid was arrested, and eventually released when police realized the*situation wasn't worth the bad PR.

The second "basket" is the family's legal response in the aftermath. I don't believe for one moment that Ahmed's parents sent him to school with the pried-open clock in a purposeful*attempt to cause a situation that they could*try to*get publicity and a lawsuit*with. They certainly came up with the idea very soon after the situation blew up though. Whether immediately by themselves, or as a*result of the flurry of press attention, really doesn't matter; there are few things more intrinsically "American" that seeing dollar signs when*one perceives one has been mistreated by an institution - and especially when one has been unfairly arrested. If Ahmed's family had*won a suit against the school or the police I would've been happy for them. The suit against the press, though, was out of line and I am satisfied with the result of that suit.
This may come as a surprise to many reading this thread, given the dog fight (pun intended) I'm currently engaged in, but I actually agree with post. Specifically, the points I agree with are that Ahmed disobeyed instructions regarding his case-modded clock, the school had an over-the-top reaction that ended with him getting arrested and put into detention, only to have charges dropped with the story hit the news. His admittedly activist father then proceeded to file a series of lawsuits, some of which were defamation suits against various media outfits. Those not only got thrown out, but Mohamed has been ordered to pay various fees and costs because of Texas' anti-SLAPP laws.

The order to pay the defendant's costs seems excessive, but I suspect if Mohamed had retained a better lawyer one of two things would have happened: the suits would not have been filed in the first place due to the low likelihood of success under the anti-SLAPP statutes, or the suit would have been much better presented. Even a better prepared action could have been unsuccessful, but possibly without the attached penalties.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 02:48 PM   #2386
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Then why in god's name have you been wasting all of time here??????
The "wasted time" has been trying to get you to post a simple link. Something you seem to be incapable of doing.

Also, I asked a question above. Were you or were you not thinking of the PopeHat blog entry? Because in the post I was replying to you seem to be saying you weren't, when it appears you actually were.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 7th February 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 03:13 PM   #2387
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,141
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post

The order to pay the defendant's costs seems excessive.
Strongly disagree. It is manifestly just.
Giz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 05:10 PM   #2388
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Strongly disagree. It is manifestly just.
Thank you. Unlike some other posters here, you've simply stated you disagree with my opinion and offered your own, without launching into an insulting tirade about the family and their (presumed) motives.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 7th February 2017 at 05:11 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 05:25 PM   #2389
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,352
Presumed?
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 07:59 PM   #2390
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Presumed?
Presumed to the extent that some think the elder Mohamed cooked up the entire affair only as a scheme to bilk money out of various parties by launching lawsuits. Additionally, there is the presumption that the lawsuits against the media were launched only for the money, as opposed to redressing wrongs. As far as money goes, there's not much use in suing a huge media corporation for only $10,000; if the corporation lost they could almost pay it out of petty cash.

In fact, the suit that Mohamed Mohamed launched against the media companies did not contain a request for a specific number in damages; only:
Quote:
Wherefore, Plaintiff prays that Defendants be cited to appear and answer herein, and that on final trial Plaintiff have judgment for the following relief:
1. General damages;
2. Special damages;
3. Exemplary damages;
4. Prejudgment and post judgment interest at the rates provided by law;
5. Attorney and expert fees and all court costs;
6. Such other and further relief to which plaintiffs may be justly entitled.
As far as I can tell, the $15 million lawsuit against the City of Irving and its school district is still open. I haven't been able to locate documents for that case on the web, although I haven't searched too deeply. It's possible they're all in PACER, and I don't have access to it.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 08:20 PM   #2391
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
A question for The Big Dog: how many Orders have been issued in the case so far?

ETA: I'm referring to the lawsuit Mohamed launched against Fox , et al.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 7th February 2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: ETA
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2017, 09:41 AM   #2392
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin
 
kmortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Texas (aka Southern Tier)
Posts: 29,600
Mod WarningKnock off the bickering and get back to the topic.
Posted By:kmortis
__________________
-Aberhaten did it
- "Which gives us an answer to our question. What’s the worst thing that can happen in a pressure cooker?" Randall Munroe
-Director of Independent Determining Inquisitor Of Crazy Yapping
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:37 AM   #2393
mgidm86
Illuminator
 
mgidm86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,081
Case dismissed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/clock-bo...uit-dismissed/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-lawsuit.html

Quote:
A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by Ahmed Mohamed's father, saying the family will not get a payout from the city of Irving, Texas or the school district for the 'clock boy' scandal, DailyMail.com has learned.

....

The judge wrote: 'Plaintiff does not allege any facts from which this court can reasonably infer that any IISD employee intentionally discriminated against Ahmed Mohamed based on his race or religion.'
It will be interesting to see what becomes of this kid in 15 years.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:40 AM   #2394
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,352
Not shocked
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 10:31 PM   #2395
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,920
His parents are looking at some pretty hefty legal bills from the defendants under Texas' anti-SLAPP statute:

Quote:
The court has now issued orders granting the motions and invited these defendants to submit affidavits documenting their attorney fees for recovery. I'm going to estimate that those fees from these defendants will total between $200,000 and $300,000. Mohamed's only consolation is that the court refused to make the findings necessary to pile separate monetary sanctions on top of the attorney fees.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 01:54 AM   #2396
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 22,290
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Case dismissed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/clock-bo...uit-dismissed/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-lawsuit.html



It will be interesting to see what becomes of this kid in 15 years.
Quote:
Lindsay gave the plaintiffs a deadline of June 1 to file an amended complaint to support the allegations he wrote were "factually deficient." Susan Hutchison, an attorney representing Mohamed, told CBS News they plan to do so.
Boy, they sure don't seem to know when to stop digging.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:51 AM   #2397
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Case dismissed.
It will be interesting to see what becomes of this kid in 15 years.
In my opinion the kid will probably be all right. From what I can see, his father is the one filing the lawsuits. Children often turn out quite different from their parents. How much of the father's activist mindset rubs off on his children (Ahmed has a sister as well) is not yet clear.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #2398
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,844
The lil' inventor has not been able to cash in again on his clock he "invented"?

Bummer
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #2399
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,008
Things that are insane:

A kid gets hauled away from school in handcuffs.

There could be 200,000 dollars of legal bills arguing about a kid getting hauled away in handcuffs, without the case even getting to the real trial.

That someone thinks they ought to be owed hundreds of thousands of dollars because they got hauled away in handcuffs.

That the whole reason for the handcuffs in the first place is "the safety of the child", which actually means, "Immobilize him so he can't do anything that could go bad, because we might get sued."

That the whole reason for even getting the police involved is that the school feels they can't handle this themselves, for fear of a lawsuit.

Liability laws are what makes this case stupid from start to finish.
__________________
Dave
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:55 AM   #2400
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,868
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Things that are insane:

A kid gets hauled away from school in handcuffs.

There could be 200,000 dollars of legal bills arguing about a kid getting hauled away in handcuffs, without the case even getting to the real trial.

That someone thinks they ought to be owed hundreds of thousands of dollars because they got hauled away in handcuffs.

That the whole reason for the handcuffs in the first place is "the safety of the child", which actually means, "Immobilize him so he can't do anything that could go bad, because we might get sued."

That the whole reason for even getting the police involved is that the school feels they can't handle this themselves, for fear of a lawsuit.

Liability laws are what makes this case stupid from start to finish.
I don't recall the entire story, but did he get hauled away in handcuffs? IIRC the police put a set on him at the request of his sister just for ***** and giggles.

ETA: Early reports state he was handcuffed and taken out of the school.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; Today at 05:03 AM. Reason: reread earlier report
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.