ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Reply
Old 18th May 2017, 08:23 PM   #681
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,101
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
(snip for brevity)
It may turn out that Mills is a scam artist and Copeland a sucker, but I don't have the insider information that allows me to determine that. I assume a guy with his background is not an idiot or a scoundrel, however--something that you're apparently not willing to grant him.
His background is thirty years of promising a breakthrough device that is just around the corner only to never have it materialize. From time to time he reorganizes the company, probably in the hope his prior unrealized claims will fall into a memory hole and make it harder for a new round of investors to do background checks. His fundamental idea--the hydrino--is by all classical and quantum physics bunk. Requests for samples of hydrino gas, which he has said in the past he would provide, are ignored. The videos presenting his devices are so lacking in detail it's impossible to see the context in which they were made.

The carrot has been on a stick for a very long time now, and we're no closer today to the revolutionary technology than we were back in 1987.

In my opinion, this has "scam" written all over it.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 18th May 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 08:48 PM   #682
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,456
Anyone know what happened to his revolutionary medical scanner and treatments? It's been 17 years now...

http://www.villagevoice.com/2000/01/25/dr-molecool/
Quote:
“You’ll go in to see your doctor and he’ll check you out with my scanner,” Mills predicts. “If he finds cancer, you’ll be treated for it as an outpatient with my therapy. If he finds something else—hypertension, an infection, arthritis—almost any medicine that he’ll use will be more efficacious when he uses my drug-delivery molecule.”
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 09:24 PM   #683
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 19,696
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
No, the fact that Copeland (and all the others referenced) have professional careers and histories with other well-known and respected companies is what should impress people.
This is the logical fallacy of argument from authority, ProgRokker. That a person has impressive (to you!) credentials does not automatically mean that their opinion is correct.

What a skeptic does is look at what expertise that person has. Since this is science we go looking for papers with a Terry M. Copeland as an author. We find 1 irrelevant paper published in 1978 ! Terry M. Copeland was a director (not working scientist) at Duracell from 1992. That is very unimpressive credentials.

The 2011 report Terry M. Copeland wrote for BLP has no affiliation listed - not even a company. The report starts with unthinking acceptance of Mills obviously ignorant theory and BLP results.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:43 PM   #684
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,976
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
I don't know. Mills' tendency to cry wolf has certainly not helped BLP's case. My guess is that no prototype was good enough, in his eyes, but the pressure to come up with something to sell forced him to make promises that he couldn't (or didn't) keep.

The narrative in the videos (and in the biography I referenced) is that Mills jumps from project to project and rather easily loses interest when something more intriguing comes along. Most of us know someone like that. My best friend, in fact, finds creativity to be the most interesting part of the path to discovery, and abhors the "boring" part that involves making something practical. I suspect Mills is like that.

You can call it a personality disorder (ADD or something along those lines), but the drive to innovate is what leads to discovery (and cool new products), and is something inventors are imbued with. Most of them can't corral it to the point where it produces anything of value commercially, unfortunately, which is why they have to surround themselves with actual marketers and engineers. I think this is the point of some posters like michaelsuede: Mills has enlisted the help of major industry players.

That alone is the reason I believe Mills *this* time.
Mills could be distracted by a new shiny thing but with just a little bit of his last lot of $80,000,000 he could leave teams to do the actual grunt work. Or has been said many times before he could licence out his work to that work.... if it worked of course....
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:45 PM   #685
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,976
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
I don't see a promise of imminent commercialization in that article. I do, however, see several mentions of independent validations of the claims.

My understanding is that the fuel cell prototype produced overunity of at least 40x and incredible power density, but that it was highly susceptible to corrosion. It was a design flaw that couldn't be overcome sufficiently so the team moved in the direction of the SunCell, which has no such issues.

How can anyone read that press release and gloss over the incredible parts (independent validation, obvious overunity, astonishing power claims, etc.)? I mean, if you're going to criticize it, at least focus on the facts rather than on some ethereal idea that if it's not commercialized within X number of days after the press release that means it's all a hoax.
Oh dear.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:48 PM   #686
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,976
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
I don't know what the Wright brothers were claiming. I do know they approached the U.S. Army and the War Department said they could see no use for airplanes.
That was a new class of technology, that doesn't therefore have an analogy with a generator that produces heat or electricity - we have had power generators for what - 150 years. People pretty much know what they can be used for!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:52 PM   #687
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,976
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
Another conspiracy! This place is starting to sound a lot like the UFO discussion boards I used to waste my time on.
Are you unaware that Mills has taken steps to remove material from the past wherever he can? That he hides his current website behind a robots.txt that stops it being indexed by search engines?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:57 PM   #688
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,976
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-co...esentation.pdf

Another drawing, this time of the new heat exchanger type miracle device.
Hmmm... anyone see any timescales mentioned?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:18 AM   #689
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,378
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
I don't know. Mills' tendency to cry wolf has certainly not helped BLP's case. My guess is that no prototype was good enough, in his eyes, but the pressure to come up with something to sell forced him to make promises that he couldn't (or didn't) keep.

The narrative in the videos (and in the biography I referenced) is that Mills jumps from project to project and rather easily loses interest when something more intriguing comes along. Most of us know someone like that. My best friend, in fact, finds creativity to be the most interesting part of the path to discovery, and abhors the "boring" part that involves making something practical. I suspect Mills is like that.

You can call it a personality disorder (ADD or something along those lines), but the drive to innovate is what leads to discovery (and cool new products), and is something inventors are imbued with. Most of them can't corral it to the point where it produces anything of value commercially, unfortunately, which is why they have to surround themselves with actual marketers and engineers. I think this is the point of some posters like michaelsuede: Mills has enlisted the help of major industry players.

That alone is the reason I believe Mills *this* time.
The same exact argument could have been made about Steorn, to counter the same skeptic remark.

And guess what ? Steorn went nowhere.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:24 AM   #690
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,378
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
Well, yes. Who better to write about the progression of an invention than someone who worked on it? Who better to write a biography than a person who knows the subject personally?

I am quite baffled by the conspiracy theories being slung around here by those claiming to be skeptics. Isn't it the skeptics who are usually labeling others conspiracy theorists? Are you suggesting that everybody BLP has ever been connected to is in on the scam? How deep does this conspiracy run?
Again the same could be told about Steorn, 3 engineer, a dozen or so total working for them at the heyday.

And again look at where they are now.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:28 AM   #691
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,378
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
No, the fact that Copeland (and all the others referenced) have professional careers and histories with other well-known and respected companies is what should impress people.

It seems that your argument is circular. Because you think BLP is a scam, anyone involved with them is automatically discredited, regardless of their qualifications or history. There is no doubt that, if a qualified person of your choosing became interested and "worked with" BLP, he or she would automatically be labeled "biased" and therefore not credible.

This is a standard pseudo-skeptical tactic ("moving the goalposts") designed to ensure that there is no possible way a chosen target (whether it be a person or subject) can ever gain credibility.

It may turn out that Mills is a scam artist and Copeland a sucker, but I don't have the insider information that allows me to determine that. I assume a guy with his background is not an idiot or a scoundrel, however--something that you're apparently not willing to grant him.
They main point is that they can't be called "independent" if there are contractual or past contractual relationship. That you chose to ignore it is up to you. That you call it pseudo skepticism... Well let us say it does not shore up your argument when our local homeopath and various scam artist use the exact same argument on their own special pet stuff.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:28 AM   #692
hecd2
Muse
 
hecd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by UncertainH View Post
I'll just leave you folks to continue to do so and pat yourselves on the back at how skeptical you are
So soon!
I was so looking forward to having our misconceptions corrected by your explanation of Mills's theory and equations. I know Jean was too and I'm sure many others who have been commenting on the physics. Ah well.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:40 AM   #693
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,378
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-co...esentation.pdf

Another drawing, this time of the new heat exchanger type miracle device.
What I find far more interesting is this :

Quote:
• Hydrino® power has a higher power density than any other power source known to man, the equivalent of millions of watts per liter.
• The Hydrino® energy source has been validated by 10 different methods including the latest, gold standard, NIST calibrated lamp tests.
The Hydrino® is ubiquitous in nature, and matches astrophysicists conclusions that so-named dark matter is a different allotrope or different chemical form of hydrogen
• There are five validation reports published on the Brilliant Light Power website from leading experts identifying massive power output from the process. Multiple other validation reports are available under NDA and upon request from unfunded assessments
• Brilliant Light Power will support all requests for validation testing from qualified scientists
• There are more than 100 peer reviewed publications to support the Hydrino® including external scientific authors
Every evolutionary step has produced a higher power density leading up to the commercial development of SunCell
Emphasis mine. Firstly "matches astrophysicists conclusions that so-named dark matter is a different allotrope or different chemical form of hydrogen" where can I read more about that ? Because so That certainly neither what the latest article I read were thinking of, nor what the theory I can read from various sources says.

Second emphasis : WHY then were not those developed and used ? Why are they abandoned like every scam do when pretending to go from a version to the next ? If they have higher increasing power density , then surely since the sun cell "higher power density than any other power source known to man, the equivalent of millions of watts per liter.
" then surely there are others with a few 100K less of million of watts per liter which could have been developed. So why were they abandoned, and why rather than being developed and pay back investment, instead more research was done ? This is not how a firm works.

If it is not a scam, it is utterly incompetent. Or should I say they are udderly competent at milking investors.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:44 AM   #694
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 23,750
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
I am quite baffled by the conspiracy theories being slung around here by those claiming to be skeptics. Isn't it the skeptics who are usually labeling others conspiracy theorists? Are you suggesting that everybody BLP has ever been connected to is in on the scam? How deep does this conspiracy run?
Going off at a tangent for a moment, if you honestly believe the implications behind what you've written here then you're misunderstanding the nature of rational skepticism. Skeptics should not, and usually do not, simply "label[...] others conspiracy theorists." There are real conspiracies, and theorizing that something is the result of a conspiracy does not invalidate the theory. What invalidates a theory is contrary evidence. In the case of the sort of grand conspiracy theories like those surrounding JFK's assassination, 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, the theories are rejected not because they are "conspiracy theories" but because the evidence against them is overwhelming, because the supposed evidence in their favour is based on misinterpretation and misrepresentation (or, wuite often, simply nonexistent), because they are improbably far-reaching and require unrealistically large numbers of people to be involved, or some combination of these and other evidentiary arguments. If a conspiracy is in fact the most parsimonious explanation of the evidence available, a good skeptic should accept it as the most likely correct explanation.

In this instance, then, we have Mills making claims that are internally inconsistent and externally inconsistent with the physical principles that he claims them to embody; making repeated announcements over thirty years that a commercial product is to be released very soon, which attract investor funding that is then available for Mills to spend as he sees fit; repeatedly failing to release a commercial product or even a sufficiently well-engineered demonstrator product for truly independent evaluation by an unbiased observer; repeatedly placing barriers in the way of searches that might reveal this consistent history of unfulfilled claims; failing to submit a scientific theory that should overturn the whole of modern physics if correct to proper peer review; and bolstering his claims solely with representations of independent confirmation by third parties who on closer inspection turn out to be former or current associates of his various companies.

The most parsimonious explanation of this is that Mills is a confidence trickster who has conspired with a fairly small group of people to give the impression that he has discovered a revolutionary new class of device that will give investors a great return on capital, when in fact no such device exists. This theory does not fail any of the tests above; in particular, the number of people supposed to be involved is sufficiently small, their motivation clear enough and their incentives to recant insignificant enough that it's perfectly reasonable to suppose that none of them might have given away the secret, and it's also worth pointing out that there are plenty of analogous cases of major and sustained fraud that this one is not just plausible but commonplace.

tl;dr version: This isn't a grand conspiracy that's being theorized, it's a petty and commonplace one. Why should skeptics be required to automatically disbelieve anything so ordinary as a long con?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:48 AM   #695
jadebox
Graduate Poster
 
jadebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,255
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That was a new class of technology, that doesn't therefore have an analogy with a generator that produces heat or electricity - we have had power generators for what - 150 years. People pretty much know what they can be used for!
Within a couple of years the Wrights were able to show a working product which quickly convinced the Army of it's usefulness. Mills, however, .....

-- Roger
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:51 AM   #696
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 25,425
Not to meantion how quickly others were to able adapt and build on the Wrights accomplishments, and little more than a decade later the face of warfare was forever changed by what they'd done that chilly day at the beach.

We're all just so mean to poor Mr. Mills and his marvelous mystery machine, aren't we?

Three decades of work and still nothing more to show for it all than a pile of papers twice the size of a New York phone book...
And speaking of the telephone, how long did it take that revolutionary invention to catch on?
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Last edited by Mike!; 19th May 2017 at 05:02 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:53 AM   #697
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,378
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
We're all just so mean to poor Mr. Mills and his marvelous mystery machine, aren't we?
That's because like with other famous mystery machine, we expect that when Velma takes off the mask, it will be a petty criminal which will be revealed, and nothing else.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:04 AM   #698
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 25,425
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
That's because like with other famous mystery machine, we expect that when Velma takes off the mask, it will be a petty criminal which will be revealed, and nothing else.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:14 AM   #699
jadebox
Graduate Poster
 
jadebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,255
Part of the reason I follow discussions like this is that I find the way they digress interesting. The discussions often serpentine around the core issues while often spurting out in odd directions.

This discussion could have ended when it was noted that there is no convincing evidence for the existence of hydrinos, no good explanation of how or why they might exist, and no convincing demonstration of the Suncell or whatever it is called. The conversation could have, should have, ended there and only continued if some new evidence is produced. And, because the claims would upend most of what we understand about the real world, that evidence would have to be very convincing.

Most of the conspiracy threads go on forever because of the "Yes, but" syndrome. It is a Whack-a-Mole type of game where as as some element of the conspiracy theory is debunked, a new one is created or raised.

This is a little different, but similar. Mills has provided a rich tapestry to explore. As it unravels, it creates more and more threads to examine. None of it really matters, because the basic hypothesis, that hydrinos exist, remains unlikely. It is like a debate on the existence Bigfoot digressing into what type of eyelids the creature has.

When this thread began we couldn't have known that it would lead to discussions of hairy balls and the Wright Brothers!
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:11 AM   #701
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 23,750
Do we know which journal this is, and how much BLP paid them to publish it?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:18 AM   #702
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 25,425
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Do we know which journal this is, and how much BLP paid them to publish it?

Dave
MAD Magazine.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:37 AM   #703
JeanTate
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,366
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
GUTCP meets Electric Universe, a match made in heaven.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:38 AM   #704
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,456
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I posted that PDF earlier.

I'm still trying to decide if I should bother reading...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:40 AM   #705
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,778
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
MAD Magazine.
MAD has higher standards than that.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:42 AM   #706
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,778
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I posted that PDF earlier.

I'm still trying to decide if I should bother reading...
I'm emailing it to the Creationists. It has math. The last I heard from them they needed more math.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #707
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 38,405
Originally Posted by UncertainH View Post

I also don't see a lot of "evidence" being presented here one way or another.

If you are so sure it is bunk then why do you waste your time here?
Well that is the purpose of the forum, we discuss ideas and the evidence that supports them. We have all been under the spotlight and answered lots of questions at one time or another. It is part of the process.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 07:27 AM   #708
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,778
Originally Posted by UncertainH View Post
Do I think Mills' has discovered the great Grand Unified Theory - No, however I have gone through it enough to find that some of the results he gets based on his assumptions and approach to be quite compelling. In addition to the equations of the properties of atoms that you can plug into a spreadsheet and see the results, the derivation of the g factor is quite amazing as well as his interpretation of particle production, to name a few.
"Compelling" is not the same as "accurate." The story of the Exodus is compelling, but archeology tells us it's not accurate.

Originally Posted by UncertainH View Post
I also don't see a lot of "evidence" being presented here one way or another.
Then read more of the thread. The Mills "theories" have been examined from a wide array of angles. They contradict over 150 years of observed phenomena. There has never been ANY replication of his results by people who were not involved with BLP in some way. The semiconductors in the computer you're using to post to this forum would not work if the Mills theories were accurate. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Originally Posted by UncertainH View Post
If you are so sure it is bunk then why do you waste your time here?
Some people like shoveling ********.

There's also the fact that Mills has taken in tens of millions of dollars over the years. If he's a con man, then his potential marks deserve at least a shot at finding information debunking his claims so they can hold onto their money. In nearly 30 years of ongoing investment, how many of those investors have seen a return on that investment? Mills has NEVER produced a commercial product, despite repeatedly claiming to have one a few months from mass production. If Mills isn't a con man then he's a singularly inept engineer and businessman.

Personally, I'm here for two reasons:

1. I'm working on a sci-fi story that postulates what would happen if a Hydrino generator really DID exist. One complication I've encountered is that Mills has been INCREDIBLY inconsistent in his claims about Hydrino reactivity over the decades. Even his theories contradict themselves several times over.

2. I'm funneling content back to a Creationist group I know who is convinced Hydrino theory is proof of God and a young universe. Being Creationists they're used to holding multiple contradictory ideas in their heads, so the internal inconsistency of the Mills theories shouldn't be a big problem for them. Thier working title is "Hydrino Science and the Bible"

(I don't think they'll make their Summer release date. On the bright side I can guarantee they will produce their book LONG before BLP manufactures a Hydrino based generator.)
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 07:29 AM   #709
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Anyone know what happened to his revolutionary medical scanner and treatments? It's been 17 years now...

http://www.villagevoice.com/2000/01/25/dr-molecool/
You pseudo-skeptical, conspiracy theorist! You're picking on poor Mills and his ADD.

At least, that's what I've picked up with this latest spate of the... lol... neutral, non-investor, not-making-judgments-either-way, completely innocent Mills enthusiasts.
The Norseman is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 07:39 AM   #710
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,139
Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post

This is a standard pseudo-skeptical tactic ("moving the goalposts") designed to ensure that there is no possible way a chosen target (whether it be a person or subject) can ever gain credibility.
Producing an actual product that uses his 'theory' to produce some sorta power would do that but guess what he never seems to get to that point.....

Doing the above is about the only way he CAN achieve credibility after such a long period of negative credibility....that or have hundreds of labs and scientists suddenly duplicate his procedures and processes and make a product without him.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:02 AM   #711
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,778
Brilliant Light Power Going To Market - Free Energy Generator Part 2

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Producing an actual product that uses his 'theory' to produce some sorta power would do that but guess what he never seems to get to that point.....

Doing the above is about the only way he CAN achieve credibility after such a long period of negative credibility....that or have hundreds of labs and scientists suddenly duplicate his procedures and processes and make a product without him.
I occasionally check out the BLP Subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLightPower/

To my delight, there is a conspiracy theory forming around Mills and his company to explain the lack of a commercial product or at least the lack of research by other labs and manufacturers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLi..._a_revolution/

There's also a whole topic about the "religious implications of the Hydrino:"

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLi...f_the_hydrino/

Last edited by halleyscomet; 19th May 2017 at 08:19 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:37 AM   #712
hecd2
Muse
 
hecd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I occasionally check out the BLP Subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLightPower/

To my delight, there is a conspiracy theory forming around Mills and his company to explain the lack of a commercial product or at least the lack of research by other labs and manufacturers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLi..._a_revolution/

There's also a whole topic about the "religious implications of the Hydrino:"

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLi...f_the_hydrino/
Brilliant. That Cornswalled guy talks a lot of sense.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:42 AM   #713
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,139
[quote=halleyscomet;11846168]I occasionally check out the BLP Subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLightPower/

To my delight, there is a conspiracy theory forming around Mills and his company to explain the lack of a commercial product or at least the lack of research by other labs and manufacturers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BrilliantLi..._a_revolution/

Yes and its all outstanding - the powers that be have waited for thirty years to swoop in and take everything.....wonder why they waited so long?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:55 AM   #714
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,778
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes and its all outstanding - the powers that be have waited for thirty years to swoop in and take everything.....wonder why they waited so long?
They're waiting for Mills to produce a working unit?

Like the "Flat Earth" claims, it's one of those theories that only "work" if you don't think about the motivations. It assumes nobody ever looked at the big picture of how much money they're LOSING every year by waiting for this guy to produce a viable unit instead of just doing it themselves. If you're going to go for a conspiracy theory, it makes more sense to claim the PTB are using moles to sabotage the project.

I'm also kinda disappointed nobody has claimed the PTB are ALREADY using Hydrino tech, but CLAIMING to be using coal and nuclear so they can jack up the prices and avoid paying Mills.

Originally Posted by hecd2 View Post
Brilliant. That Cornswalled guy talks a lot of sense.
Possibly the most lucent and intellectually consistent supporter Mills has.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 19th May 2017 at 08:57 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:07 PM   #715
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,976
Don't know how I missed it before but there is fan wiki on BLP, http://brilliantlightpower.wikia.com..._Wiki#Millsian

There's quite a bit to read there but if you can scroll down and read the section titled "UKPTO & Marchant: Denial of Patent rights: 2008 Determination, Appeal & 2009 redetermination." and "Wikipedia - Slander and Defacement of the Blacklight Power Article by Wikipedia Editors"

We're all the way down the rabbit hole now!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:41 PM   #716
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 25,425
Somebody seems to suffer from a severe persecution complex, and a fear of trolls, both real and imagined.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:45 PM   #717
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,778
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Somebody seems to suffer from a severe persecution complex, and a fear of trolls, both real and imagined.
I'll send the URL to the Creationists. I wonder what will happen to their edits if they make any...
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:57 PM   #718
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,456
Quote:
More support for the light-water approach comes from Thermacore Inc., a defense contractor in Lancaster that specializes in heat-exchange technology. Since April, it has been running a Mills cell that steadily pumps out four times the energy that's put in, says Robert M. Shaubach, manager of development. Mills himself claims to do better. "We're getting 10 times the power out relative to power going in--every hour, every day, week after week."Mills says to expect a "major announcement" around yearend that his confidants predict may include the unveiling of a prototype 10-kilowatt electrical generator.
October 1992. Mills cells have been running well for 6 months...even when run by others...

Apparently the continuous 4X to 10X power ratio was not good enough to show the world back in 1992. Yet we still had the promise of big things soon.

Quote:
Mills says to expect a "major announcement" around yearend that his confidants predict may include the unveiling of a prototype 10-kilowatt electrical generator.
We are coming up on 25 years since Mills and others flat out said that they had Mills cells running continuously at a 4X to 10X ratio.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ebate-heats-up
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 19th May 2017 at 12:59 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:16 PM   #719
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,456
http://www.academia.edu/30059492/Thermacore

That's a report from Thermacore on these wonderful cells, but again we see that Mills is involved and the report reads as if the writers are believers in Mills.

Interestingly, this report from 1994 says the cells are not ready for commercial use at all, and need to be made better by a factor of 10 to 100. This is well after the 1991 claims of continuous 4X to 10X power outputs.

Apparently the military actually needed the thing to work...

if they were at 4X to 10X in 1991, I guess they needed to be at 40X to 1000X to be commercially viable in 1994...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 19th May 2017 at 01:19 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:24 PM   #720
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,456
http://omael.com/!_HydroPlasmol_Tele...c-Hydrogen.pdf

Another report from Thermacore. There's no date, but we can tell it's from prior to 1994, as it references the upcoming 1994 report.

It makes an odd claim of 41 watts of heat output from 5 watts of electricity input with operation for over a year.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 19th May 2017 at 01:27 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.