ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot sightings , NAWAC

Closed Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 10:59 AM   #3441
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Well as always....it begs the question....why wouldn't you get the facts of the story straight before you shoot your mouth off?
Because as I told you, I'm not that vested in this, and it was a spontaneous decision to make a detour to have a look. The only reason I brought it up was because Resume asked me specifically why I thought the whole thing was a lie and that's my anecdotal story, for what it's worth.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:03 AM   #3442
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
THe guy who owns the cabin is very specific about where it is. Another forum member of the BFF owns property near there, her handle is Painthorse. I went on the NF lands that supposedly border these two properties. At this point I'ld have to look up the GPS co-ordinates but that ought to be enough for you to get a general idea of where I was.I'm not seeing why this is an astounding claim. I went for a ride , maybe in the wrong area, and found nothing.
How hard could that be to provide....a simple screen shot of the area off google earth would have been easy to provide long ago in the conversation.
A specific location on a 1.8 mllion acre/multi-state NF is no pop in, you had to know exactly where you were going.
Your dodging, dismissive nature is making me very skeptical of your claim.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:07 AM   #3443
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Because as I told you, I'm not that vested in this, and it was a spontaneous decision to make a detour to have a look. The only reason I brought it up was because Resume asked me specifically why I thought the whole thing was a lie and that's my anecdotal story, for what it's worth.
Your participation at BFF, and here would indicate your very vested in the subject not sure what that has to do with the orginal question....just another red herring IMO.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 11:35 AM   #3444
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Oh get over yourself, how many times do I have to tell you guys that there is no one out there to even hear a rock falling IMO. As for being hypocritical, I think you need to look in the mirror.
Still waiting for you to back up this claim as well!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:09 PM   #3445
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,327
invested.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:27 PM   #3446
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't think that a civilian can legally do such a thing.

Your claims of surveying the region are really preposterous. It reminds me of your claim to have seen Abraham Lincoln speaking to the public in one of your past lives. You are a constant source of extraordinary claims.

It's as if you are a singularly fantastic presence on the planet. I'm skeptical of virtually everything that you say. You talk about yourself all the time here, so the arguments are drawn onto you rather than the object of your claims. It tests the forum guideline of "attack the argument, not the arguer" because you force the argument to be about you based on personal anecdotal experience.
Ah yes....don't forget the cougar story. I think it went something like "oh yeah by the way I saw a cougar attack a deer on the SC coast.....nah didn't report it to the police....had to go out of town the next day"
The most interesting component to these type of stories is how vague they are upon initial presentation. Knowing full well they will be challenged....it conspicuously allows for a tremendous amount of detail to be metered out as the challenges to the story are brought. It would almost appear as if the story was being made up as it plays out.
It's certainly how this one and the cougar story have played out!

Last edited by Cervelo; 19th May 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:01 PM   #3447
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
How hard could that be to provide....a simple screen shot of the area off google earth would have been easy to provide long ago in the conversation.
A specific location on a 1.8 mllion acre/multi-state NF is no pop in, you had to know exactly where you were going.
Your dodging, dismissive nature is making me very skeptical of your claim.
I told you that you guys wouldn't consider my story as proof of anything.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:03 PM   #3448
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Your participation at BFF, and here would indicate your very vested in the subject not sure what that has to do with the orginal question....just another red herring IMO.
LOLOLOL.....OK. I haven't been a member of the BFF in over 6 years and I might drop in here to see if anything new has happened once in awhile.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:29 PM   #3449
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I told you that you guys wouldn't consider my story as proof of anything.
More dodging LOL!
Nobody's asking for proof of anything....just something that would indicate that your claim is anything but baseless!
Should we apply the same yardstick you've used to access the NAWACKIES to your stories?

Last edited by Cervelo; 19th May 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:28 PM   #3450
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Sure, go ahead. First off, I have no idea how to do a google earth snap shot, second, no pic or snap shot proves anything. I told you where I was, that's the best I can do, sorry. Take it or leave it.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 19th May 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 07:33 PM   #3451
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
It's certainly how this one and the cougar story have played out!
There is a game cam video of a possible cougar on Lady's Island from 09/2016 and another report from Bluffton since that conversation. That's alright, if Fish and Game says it can't exist then I guess that makes SC cougars imaginary.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:07 PM   #3452
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,852
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
There is a game cam video of a possible cougar on Lady's Island from 09/2016
It's a housecat.

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/loc...100805727.html

There aren't any cougars in South Carolina and that's why they don't show up on game cameras there.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:29 PM   #3453
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
There is a game cam video of a possible cougar on Lady's Island from 09/2016 and another report from Bluffton since that conversation. That's alright, if Fish and Game says it can't exist then I guess that makes SC cougars imaginary.
Sure thing you'll believe anything you find on the internet, to support your cougar fantasy.........got it

Last edited by Cervelo; 19th May 2017 at 08:36 PM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 08:33 PM   #3454
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Sure, go ahead. First off, I have no idea how to do a google earth snap shot, second, no pic or snap shot proves anything. I told you where I was, that's the best I can do, sorry. Take it or leave it.
Nope there's no way you can prove your story is not a complete fabrication, but you certainly could provide some detailed information that would support you ever being in Qutachia NF. But your postion is nothing new for you or your baseless claims.
So how did you figure out where you were going, did you drive across the country using a paper map?

Last edited by Cervelo; 19th May 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 06:40 AM   #3455
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Sure, go ahead. First off, I have no idea how to do a google earth snap shot, second, no pic or snap shot proves anything. I told you where I was, that's the best I can do, sorry. Take it or leave it.
Maybe we could ease into this.....which state were you in?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:03 AM   #3456
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Nope there's no way you can prove your story is not a complete fabrication, but you certainly could provide some detailed information that would support you ever being in Qutachia NF. But your postion is nothing new for you or your baseless claims.
So how did you figure out where you were going, did you drive across the country using a paper map?
I used map quest and sent the directions to my phone. I do carry an old fashioned Atlas in the car for back up.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:06 AM   #3457
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Maybe we could ease into this.....which state were you in?
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...50F11C77DC.jpg
LOLOL......you are just dying of curiosity. You don't want to believe my stories but,but,but...what if....

I was close to the Oklahoma border in Arkansas. If I tell you anymore it will out Painthorse.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:14 AM   #3458
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
Upon Extinction-

Since scientists can't be everywhere to truly determine real time extinction, don't they instead look to environmental factors to determine extinction?

Creatures A ate plants B, plants B no longer exist, so Creatures A must be gone too. If we were to find a habitat with plants B...we might postulate Creatures A still exist.

Neanderthals and Cro-magnon 'people'(?) lived and ate basically what we do today, and lived in similar habitats. There are primitive peoples, located deep in the rain forests still isolated from the modern world, somewhat protected from contamination by their unknown host governments.

"Bigfoot" sightings tend to happen along heavily wooded corridors within other animal migration patterns.

Mistaken identity or false extinction?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:19 AM   #3459
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,352
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
"Bigfoot" sightings tend to happen along heavily wooded corridors within other animal migration patterns.

Mistaken identity or false extinction?
Maybe. No.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:23 AM   #3460
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Upon Extinction-

Since scientists can't be everywhere to truly determine real time extinction, don't they instead look to environmental factors to determine extinction?

Creatures A ate plants B, plants B no longer exist, so Creatures A must be gone too. If we were to find a habitat with plants B...we might postulate Creatures A still exist.

Neanderthals and Cro-magnon 'people'(?) lived and ate basically what we do today, and lived in similar habitats. There are primitive peoples, located deep in the rain forests still isolated from the modern world, somewhat protected from contamination by their unknown host governments.

"Bigfoot" sightings tend to happen along heavily wooded corridors within other animal migration patterns.

Mistaken identity or false extinction?
Native Americans have one of the highest percentages of Neanderthal DNA compared to other populations on the planet, however, no Neanderthal ever lived in North America so I don't think you can blame bigfoot on false extinction.

I do think that bigfoot is an archetype left over from when other versions of humans lived together on the planet. It's a cultural memory of some type mixed up in fairy tales about ogres.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 20th May 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:42 AM   #3461
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,852
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Upon Extinction
I thought that you were extinct. This is your first post in six years.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 08:51 AM   #3462
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
LOLOL......you are just dying of curiosity. You don't want to believe my stories but,but,but...what if....

I was close to the Oklahoma border in Arkansas. If I tell you anymore it will out Painthorse.
I'd love to believe your story just provide any shred of evidence you've ever been to Qutachia NF...but no you continued the bobbing and weaving.....not unexpected but it's just proving the point that William made

Last edited by Cervelo; 20th May 2017 at 08:53 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 09:29 AM   #3463
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
... however, no Neanderthal ever lived in North America so I don't think you can blame bigfoot on false extinction.

I do think that bigfoot is an archetype left over from when other versions of humans lived together on the planet. It's a cultural memory of some type mixed up in fairy tales about ogres.
If the Americas contained a habitable environment maybe that is a false conclusion.

Ogres...? And the leviathan turned out to be a giant squid...

I postulate there is truth is mythology.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 20th May 2017 at 09:39 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 11:37 AM   #3464
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
I'd love to believe your story just provide any shred of evidence you've ever been to Qutachia NF...but no you continued the bobbing and weaving.....not unexpected but it's just proving the point that William made
Suit yourself.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 11:40 AM   #3465
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,769
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
If the Americas contained a habitable environment maybe that is a false conclusion.

Ogres...? And the leviathan turned out to be a giant squid...

I postulate there is truth is mythology.
There could be truth to the ogre myth. It could be a residual cultural memory of when Neanderthals lived in the Northern European countries. To my knowledge the only overlap occurred in the Levant, unless more evidence is found to suggest it happened elsewhere.

I don't think a remnant Neanderthal population lives in the Oklahoma/Arkansas hills. The reason for that, besides them dying out before anyone walked over the Bering Straight land bridge, is there isn't any evidence that Neanderthals ventured more than 5 miles from their home base. They didn't live in big family groups either so if a family happened to make it to Alaska they would have died out long before spreading to the rest of North America.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 20th May 2017 at 11:47 AM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 12:32 PM   #3466
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
I've read that many native american indigenous people each have a name for just such a creature-

Ba'wis (Tsimshian Indian Bigfoot)
Boqs (Bella Coola Bigfoot)
Bush Indians (Alaskan Athabaskan Bigfoot)
Chiye-Tanka (Sioux Indian Bigfoot)
Choanito/Night People (Wenatchi Indian Bigfoot)
Hairy Man (Yokuts Indian Bigfoot)
Kohuneje (Maidu Indian Bigfoot)
Lariyin (Dogrib Indian Bigfoot)
Lofa (Chickasaw Indian Bigfoot)
Matah Kagmi (Modoc Indian Bigfoot)
Maxemista (Cheyenne Indian Bigfoot)
Na'in (Gwich'in Indian Bigfoot)
Nakani (Dene Indian Bigfoot)
Nant'ina (Tanaina Indian Bigfoot)
Nik'inla'eena' (Koyukon Indian Bigfoot)
Omah (Hupa Indian Bigfoot)
Sasquatch (Coast Salish Indian Bigfoot)
Seeahtlk (Clallam Indian Bigfoot)
Shampe (Choctaw Indian Bigfoot)
Siatco (Chehalis Indian Bigfoot)
Skookum (Chinook Indian Bigfoot)
Ste-ye-hah'mah (Yakama Indian Bigfoot)
Stick Indians (Northwest Coast Bigfeet)
*The Woodsman (Athabaskan Indian Bigfoot)

One would probably be hard pressed to find a primitive culture that does not contain such characters in their common lore.

---

I've also read they were 'hunted' into extinction. Dodos, passenger pigeons, sure, but a humanoid, that can reason, make tools, and flee?

Given the hardy nature of the Neanderthal, is it truly reasonable to believe ALL of their habitat was taken over by the new people on the block?

The selection process that occurred would mean that IF any survived this 'hunt' those left over would have developed an innate fear of the hairless spear chuckers. Surviving would mean they had to be better at un-detection than their predators.

While not likely, I think it is possible that hunting humanoids will eventually yield perfectly camouflaged and elusive survivors.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 20th May 2017 at 01:12 PM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 12:40 PM   #3467
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,352
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I've read that many native american indigenous people each have a name for just such a creature-

Ba'wis (Tsimshian Indian Bigfoot)
Boqs (Bella Coola Bigfoot)
Bush Indians (Alaskan Athabaskan Bigfoot)
Chiye-Tanka (Sioux Indian Bigfoot)
Choanito/Night People (Wenatchi Indian Bigfoot)
Hairy Man (Yokuts Indian Bigfoot)
Kohuneje (Maidu Indian Bigfoot)
Lariyin (Dogrib Indian Bigfoot)
Lofa (Chickasaw Indian Bigfoot)
Matah Kagmi (Modoc Indian Bigfoot)
Maxemista (Cheyenne Indian Bigfoot)
Na'in (Gwich'in Indian Bigfoot)
Nakani (Dene Indian Bigfoot)
Nant'ina (Tanaina Indian Bigfoot)
Nik'inla'eena' (Koyukon Indian Bigfoot)
Omah (Hupa Indian Bigfoot)
Sasquatch (Coast Salish Indian Bigfoot)
Seeahtlk (Clallam Indian Bigfoot)
Shampe (Choctaw Indian Bigfoot)
Siatco (Chehalis Indian Bigfoot)
Skookum (Chinook Indian Bigfoot)
Ste-ye-hah'mah (Yakama Indian Bigfoot)
Stick Indians (Northwest Coast Bigfeet)
*The Woodsman (Athabaskan Indian Bigfoot)
What about wood apes? Your list doesn't have wood apes.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:11 PM   #3468
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
What about wood apes? Your list doesn't have wood apes.
You may add to the list...
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:17 PM   #3469
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,852
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I've read that many native american indigenous people each have a name for just such a creature-
They all seem to have big apemen in their woods. But how could there not be any specimens ever from any tribes? How could there be no specimens from modern times? It makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing that makes any sense (common or scientific) is that these things just weren't really there and aren't here now.

I've often wondered if there was any kind of skepticism within the Native American cultures and tribes. Was there any concept of a fabricated entity which didn't really exist as a real thing?

We see accounts and lists and stories of the various ideas and things in the realm of Native American culture. But I'm not aware of similar compendiums which illustrate what they rejected or denied because of lack of evidence or because it was simply made up bullcrap.

We should talk about this in our thread about Native Americans and Bigfoot.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 20th May 2017 at 01:19 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:26 PM   #3470
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
They all seem to have big apemen in their woods. But how could there not be any specimens ever from any tribes? How could there be no specimens from modern times? It makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing that makes any sense (common or scientific) is that these things just weren't really there and aren't here now.

I've often wondered if there was any kind of skepticism within the Native American cultures and tribes. Was there any concept of a fabricated entity which didn't really exist as a real thing?

We see accounts and lists and stories of the various ideas and things in the realm of Native American culture. But I'm not aware of such things which illustrate what they rejected or denied because of lack of evidence or because it was simply made up bullcrap.

We should talk about this in our thread about Native Americans and Bigfoot.
You're asking me to 'speculate' as to why no bones have been found?

I guess, I'd only point to the selection process employed...

They were hunted, 'tracked,' any evidence left behind would ultimately lead to their demise. Those that survived this process would be equipped to 'disappear' without a trace. Burying their dead, walking only on rocks, or travel through the trees, maybe they dismember their dead, and employed a "never leave anyone behind" mentality?

Did Gigantopithecus ever exist in the Americas?

Pull that other thread up, and I'll post there instead, if you wish?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:27 PM   #3471
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,327
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Given the hardy nature of the Neanderthal, is it truly reasonable to believe ALL of their habitat was taken over by the new people on the block?

The selection process that occurred would mean that IF any survived this 'hunt' those left over would have developed an innate fear of the hairless spear chuckers. Surviving would mean they had to be better at un-detection than their predators.

While not likely, I think it is possible that hunting humanoids will eventually yield perfectly camouflaged and elusive survivors.
They did survive. You can find them in the dark places of the world, like Mordor.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:43 PM   #3472
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
They did survive...
Tolkien would be proud I'm sure.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 02:31 PM   #3473
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
LOLOL......you are just dying of curiosity. You don't want to believe my stories but,but,but...what if....

I was close to the Oklahoma border in Arkansas. If I tell you anymore it will out Painthorse.
Painthorse.....good grief, you sure seem to remember your days at BFF pretty well, I had to look that one up.
By the way even as a banned member you can do a search at BFF, that's what I did found some really interesting stuff!
Painthorse....she's making the exact same silly claim the NAWACKIES are...in fact she would be considered a habitator....she claims Bigfoot hangs around in her backyard on a regular basis. She posted a picture of a bird that she thinks is a baby Bigfoot https://www.flickr.com/photos/paint_horse1/8361079574/
All sorts of spooky noises therefore BIGFEETS just like the NAWACKIES in virtually the same location....do you have the same opinion of her claims?

Got to revisit some interesting stuff during my search..your TV remote issues and disappearing cigarette butts had striking similarities to our discussions here

You had a Bigfoot in your backyard to?

Or just a history of baseless claims regardless of which side of the fence your on.

Last edited by Cervelo; 20th May 2017 at 04:23 PM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:18 PM   #3474
John Nowak
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,802
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
I doubt any of those jokers are bright enough to mess with the data.
Nor would it make any sense for them to.
__________________
>Reason being is that you guys appear to have absolutely no field experience in listening for invisible people in the forest. I do.

-historian
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:20 PM   #3475
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,352
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
You may add to the list...
Boogeyman - All human cultures.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:32 PM   #3476
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,687
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Boogeyman - All human cultures.
I wanna play my Goatman card...but maybe I should hold it for another round?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:42 PM   #3477
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,352
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I wanna play my Goatman card...but maybe I should hold it for another round?
I'll raise you a Mothman.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:43 PM   #3478
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
You're asking me to 'speculate' as to why no bones have been found?

I guess, I'd only point to the selection process employed...

They were hunted, 'tracked,' any evidence left behind would ultimately lead to their demise. Those that survived this process would be equipped to 'disappear' without a trace. Burying their dead, walking only on rocks, or travel through the trees, maybe they dismember their dead, and employed a "never leave anyone behind" mentality?

Did Gigantopithecus ever exist in the Americas?

Pull that other thread up, and I'll post there instead, if you wish?
You might consider this as well they would love ya!

http://bigfootforums.com
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 03:49 PM   #3479
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,352
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
You might consider this as well they would love ya!

http://bigfootforums.com
Yeah this guy's got it handled:
Originally Posted by MiB
I think it comes down to 3 things.
1) In general they are relatively rare so there are not very many dying to find in the first place.

2) Ritual burial - while the scoffing idiots have mostly caused people who see such things not to report it, there are some few reports and the appear credible to the best of my ability to investigate.

3) I do not think sasquatch are alone nearly as often as we think. We see one. Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack applies ... just because we only see one does not mean there aren't others seeing us.

All in all I think very very few die alone, possibly only a couple per year total, and remain laying on the ground such that they're available to "just find." How many people find meteorites? Yet how many fall? And the ones that do fall pretty spectacularly, unlike bigfoot who is pretty secretive.
Scoff, all you idiots.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 04:15 PM   #3480
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17,415
Welcome back King of the Americas!

You forgot to source your list.

http://www.native-languages.org/legends-bigfoot.htm
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.