ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange

Old 26th November 2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Julian Assange: rapist or not? - Part 2

Mod InfoContinued from here.
Posted By:LashL

So maybe there wasn't a sealed indicment after all...

Washington Post reports:

Originally Posted by Washington Post
The Justice Department has all but concluded it will not bring charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for publishing classified documents because government lawyers said they could not do so without also prosecuting U.S. news organizations and journalists, according to U.S. officials.

[...]
“The problem the department has always had in investigating Julian Assange is there is no way to prosecute him for publishing information without the same theory being applied to journalists,” said former Justice Department spokesman Matthew Miller. “And if you are not going to prosecute journalists for publishing classified information, which the department is not, then there is no way to prosecute Assange.”
[...]
There have been persistent rumors that the grand jury investigation of Assange and WikiLeaks had secretly led to charges. Officials told The Post last week that there was no sealed indictment, and other officials have since come forward to say, as one senior U.S. official put it, that the department has “all but concluded” that it will not bring a case against Assange.

Last edited by LashL; 27th June 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 06:29 AM   #2
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

And in fear of that he has imprisoned himself for longer than he would have been likely to serve on the charges if proven.
Old 26th November 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
And in fear of that he has imprisoned himself for longer than he would have been likely to serve on the charges if proven.
Nah, if he were in fear of a sealed indictment, he would have stayed in Sweden.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 10:33 AM   #4
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nah, if he were in fear of a sealed indictment, he would have stayed in Sweden.
Well, you would have to assume more intelligence than I give him credit for, but point taken!
Old 26th November 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I guess we'll now get to see the mettle of the man, will he keep on hiding and claiming that the US are after him, when it's now clear, as some of us have been saying, that they aren't and can't, or will he step up and face the music for his actions, now both in the UK and Sweden?

I suspect that the answer is that he's going to remain in his self imposed prison cell.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I guess we'll now get to see the mettle of the man,...
I suggest we already have.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 06:53 AM   #7
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I guess we'll now get to see the mettle of the man, will he keep on hiding and claiming that the US are after him, when it's now clear, as some of us have been saying, that they aren't and can't, or will he step up and face the music for his actions, now both in the UK and Sweden?

I suspect that the answer is that he's going to remain in his self imposed prison cell.
Forever, I sincerely hope.
Old 27th November 2013, 03:36 PM   #8
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

One does also wonder, if the DoJ actually puts this on the official record and states that they can't and aren't going to charge him, would that mean that Ecuador would no longer be willing to shield him from UK and Swedish Justice?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Is there anyone left still defending Assange?
Old 28th November 2013, 10:40 AM   #10
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Is there anyone left still defending Assange?
"It remains to be seen whether the claims by these unknown, anonymous officials are more than just an attempt to reduce public support for WikiLeaks."

They can't afford to desert their martyr...
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pink Floyd Time
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
Round and round we go....

Today three lawyers for JA wrote an opinion piece in a Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter.

Basically their story is that the investigation in the US is still ongoing and there is a real risk that Sweden would extradite JA to the US.

The also say:
Quote:
Att USA hotar journalister med årtionden i fängelse eller mer för att de publicerar material som de har fått från sina källor är extremt oroväckande. Att en åklagare i Sverige håller en sådan journalist inspärrad år efter år på en liten ambassad i London (med hjälp av en europeisk arresteringsorder) i stället för att åka dit och förhöra honom är en skandal.

Slutsatsen är att Sverige inte respekterar den asyl som Assange fått (av Ecuador) för att skydda honom från att tillbringa resten av sitt liv i amerikanskt fängelse för sina journalistiska avslöjanden.
My translation:
Quote:
That the US threatens journalists with decades or more of imprisonment for having received material from their sources is extremely worrying. That a public prosecutor in Sweden holds such a journalist under lock year after year in a small embassy in London (using an EAW) instead of going there to interview him is a scandal.

The conclusion is that Sweden does not respect the asylum that JA has receoved from Ecuador) to protect him from spending the rest of his life in US prison for his journalistic exposures.
So nothing has changed, including the arguments.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

http://mobil.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/s...sange-remains/

Quote:
The Swedish detention order against Julian Assange remains in place according to a ruling by Stockholm District Court at a hearing today. The decision means that the Wikileaks founder must remain at the Ecuadorian embassy in London to avoid being arrested and deported to Sweden.
Old 16th July 2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Press release from the court:

http://www.domstol.se/Om-Sveriges-Do...tention-order/
Old 16th July 2014, 11:20 AM   #14
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
Glad to see the Swedish legal system is sticking to its guns
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2014, 08:38 PM   #15
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

He'll die in there. Either by his own hand, or of old age.
Old 17th July 2014, 03:39 AM   #16
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Do you know, I hadn't even thought about Assange until this thread got bumped.

So much for him being that important, eh?
Old 17th July 2014, 06:24 AM   #17
tsig
a carbon based life-form

He'll die in there. Either by his own hand, or of old age.
If he goes back there's at least a chance he might get off, at least he'd have a sentence with an ending, now he's self imprisoned with no end in sight.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 10:09 AM   #18
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
If he goes back there's at least a chance he might get off, at least he'd have a sentence with an ending, now he's self imprisoned with no end in sight.
He likely would have served less time being convicted than he already has.

But forget about international travel after such a conviction.
Old 18th July 2014, 11:30 AM   #19
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I'll give it a few years before the whole case quietly goes away. The Met are already grumbling about the money spent on keeping watch, and Assange and WikiLeaks are becoming less and less relevant.

Of course, even if Sweden does drop the case against Assange, the UK authorities are still going to want to have a word with Assange over him skipping bail.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 04:37 PM   #20
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Well, there will be a deception first. They will go away, and Assange will be grabbed on the way to the airport.
Old 18th August 2014, 01:24 AM   #21
Here_to_learn
Master Poster

Press conference from JA later. Live at http://www.livestream.com/cancilleriaecua

Sky News thinks he "could be planning to surrender" while Daily Mail claims that he want's to go to a hospital.
Old 18th August 2014, 02:10 AM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Assange to leave Embassy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28834849

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has announced he will leave the embassy of Ecuador in London "soon" after two years of refuge.

Speaking at a press conference, he did not clarify when he would be leaving but said it was "probably not" for the reasons reported in UK newspapers.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2014, 03:41 AM   #23
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

And then he'll get arrested and, much to his shock I'm sure, get deported to Sweden (not the US) and be brought up on charges for the rape (not for leaking the material he was given).

I wonder how he'll spin it then?
Old 18th August 2014, 03:54 AM   #24
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
And then he'll get arrested and, much to his shock I'm sure, get deported to Sweden (not the US) and be brought up on charges for the rape (not for leaking the material he was given).

I wonder how he'll spin it then?
And I'm almost hoping he's then found not guilty and nothing else happens, just for the sheer schadenfreude of it all....
Old 18th August 2014, 04:17 AM   #25
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
And I'm almost hoping he's then found not guilty and nothing else happens, just for the sheer schadenfreude of it all....
Sure you do.....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2014, 04:52 AM   #26
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The statement says

Quote:
"The plan is for him to leave as soon as the UK government decides to honour its obligations in relation to international agreements and calls off the siege outside - it's as simple as that."
So his leaving relies on the Police letting him go?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2014, 05:11 AM   #27
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

In other words, he's going nowhere.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:08 AM   #28
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Sure you do.....
honestly I haven't got a fixed position on the rape charges. I'm an aussie living in Sweden, and I was single here for quite a while so I have a bit of an understanding of the .... position(s) .... Assange may have found himself in, as well as the differences in Swedish and Australian culture that got him in this mess.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:15 AM   #29
Tolls
Illuminator

In other words, he's going nowhere.
Looks like it.
Which implies that this is simply a "look at me, I'm still here", as opposed to anything interesting.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2014, 07:19 AM   #30
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Just listening to some of the Julian Assange interview

Quote:
I've been held in this country one way or another for four years without charge
Firstly two years of those weren't being held, it was his own choice to seek asylum in the Ecuadorean embassy. Secondly, the charges are pending him being interviewed. Thirdly, he was on bail and absconded.

He has constructed his own fantasy world in which he appears to be living. He claims that he'll leave the embassy when the UK police just let him go - that isn't gong to happen any time soon.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2014, 01:00 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Reporting on this today, NPR repeated the canard that Assange is wanted in the US.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2014, 02:20 PM   #32
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

The register seems to get it:
Quote:
Assange™: Hey world, I'M STILL HERE, ignore that Snowden guy
Press conference: ME ME ME ME ME ME ME (cont'd pg 94)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/18/wiki/
Old 18th August 2014, 05:39 PM   #33
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Reporting on this today, NPR repeated the canard that Assange is wanted in the US.
Not officially, but I'll wring his scrawny neck if I catch him here, does that count?
Old 18th August 2014, 09:12 PM   #34
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
as soon as the UK government decides to honour its obligations in relation to international agreements
And there I was under the mistaken belief that they were doing exactly that by stationing an officer outside to arrest him as soon as he sets foot outside the Embassy, their obligations in relation to international agreements on European Arrest Warrants and Extradition.

My Apollo Page.
Old 13th March 2015, 02:39 AM   #35
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Looks like the Swedish prosecutors are concerned about some of the potential lesser charges against reaching their statute of limitations in august, and they are now offering to do the interview in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31867829

I suppose he'll still stay at the embassy if they decide to charge him, but at least bringing such charges would suspend the statute of limitations?

Last edited by KDLarsen; 13th March 2015 at 02:40 AM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 04:33 AM   #36
angrysoba
Philosophile

Well, it seems he is going to fully comply with the Swedish criminal justice system, so all's well that ends well:

Quote:
Swedish prosecutors have offered to travel to London to question Wikileaks founder Julian Assange over sex assault allegations.

Prosecutors had previously insisted on questioning Mr Assange in Sweden, after seeking his arrest in 2010.

Mr Assange denies the assault claims and has been living at the Ecuadorean embassy in London since 2012.

He fears that if he is sent to Sweden he could then be extradited to the US to face charges over leaking material.

A lawyer for Mr Assange, Per Samuelson, welcomed the move. "He is willing to co-operate fully now in conducting this interrogation - this is a great victory for him," he told the BBC World Service.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31867829
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2015, 09:16 AM   #37
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Will he be so willing to submit to going to Sweden if they do decide to finally charge him, I wonder?
Old 15th March 2015, 12:45 PM   #38
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Looks like the Swedish prosecutors are concerned about some of the potential lesser charges against reaching their statute of limitations in august, and they are now offering to do the interview in London.
How can the statute of limitations apply when the suspect is a fugitive? That's the kind of crap you see in Mexico, I wouldn't think Sweden did that too.

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Well, it seems he is going to fully comply with the Swedish criminal justice system, so all's well that ends well:
That's a very odd definition of "fully comply". Full compliance would mean going back to Sweden for the investigation.
Old 15th March 2015, 12:46 PM   #39
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Will he be so willing to submit to going to Sweden if they do decide to finally charge him, I wonder?
I don't wonder, not a chance this arrogant egomaniac will voluntarily go back to Sweden.
Old 15th March 2015, 01:25 PM   #40
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Forever, I sincerely hope.
Agreed!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events