ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange

Reply
Old 26th May 2016, 12:00 AM   #241
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 10,622
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
To be fair, the UK has been pretty willing to cooperate with Sweden too.
Indeed the judgements in the link above show how much attention was paid to the Swedish legal process and the obligations of the EAW. It also shows how the UK legal system has bent over backwards to give Assange every possible benefit of the doubt.
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 12:30 AM   #242
KDLarsen
Illuminator
 
KDLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,532
It's the fifth anniversary of Assange walking into the Ecuadorean embassy, and incredibly, there are still celebrities out there who are arguing he should be allowed to leave - which, as has been said time and time again, he's absolutely free to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...london-embassy
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 03:29 AM   #243
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,495
Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It's the fifth anniversary of Assange walking into the Ecuadorean embassy, and incredibly, there are still celebrities out there who are arguing he should be allowed to leave - which, as has been said time and time again, he's absolutely free to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...london-embassy
It's kind of ironic that he has now served longer in the embassy than he would have if he'd just gone to Sweden.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 07:37 AM   #244
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,014


I hope they'll conclude the evening with some juicy leaks. Insurance is already distributed.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 11:51 AM   #245
KDLarsen
Illuminator
 
KDLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,532
I've always found the idea of an 'insurance'-file to be quite amusing. I guess WikiLeaks arent dedicated to exposing everything after all, if they're willing to keep stuff under wraps, just in case.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 12:08 PM   #246
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
I stand with Julian Assange!


If Julian gave himself up, he'd be shipped to the US and tortured - and we all know it.

And for you Sheeple who think Julian's plight is about Rape - shame on you. Julian was framed at a very convenient time and you know it! Grow up! Quit whining and sniveling!

Last edited by Jules Galen; 19th June 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 12:12 PM   #247
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,057
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
I stand with Julian Assange!


If Julian gave himself up, he'd be shipped to the US and tortured - and we all know it.

And for you Sheeple who think Julian's plight is about Rape - shame on you. Julian was framed at a very convenient time and you know it! Grow up! Quit whining and sniveling!
Lol
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 01:02 PM   #248
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,014
Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
I've always found the idea of an 'insurance'-file to be quite amusing. I guess WikiLeaks arent dedicated to exposing everything after all, if they're willing to keep stuff under wraps, just in case.

Being amused in an armchair must be a nice and safe state of being, yet totally inconsequential.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 06:19 PM   #249
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,286
Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It's the fifth anniversary of Assange walking into the Ecuadorean embassy, and incredibly, there are still celebrities out there who are arguing he should be allowed to leave - which, as has been said time and time again, he's absolutely free to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...london-embassy
I wonder how many of his "celebrity supporters" back him enough to vote "Exit" on Thursday.
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 07:37 PM   #250
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
I stand with Julian Assange!


If Julian gave himself up, he'd be shipped to the US and tortured - and we all know it.

And for you Sheeple who think Julian's plight is about Rape - shame on you. Julian was framed at a very convenient time and you know it! Grow up! Quit whining and sniveling!
Sweden has a long history of harboring American spies and traitors. Sweden even has laws forbidding the extradition of political criminals. I can think of no agency less likely to turn Assange over to the US than Swedish law enforcement.

But Assange didn't stay in Sweden. He fled to the UK, where there are far less protections for American political criminals.

And he was even detained in the UK, but was not shipped to the US.

So much for your conspiracy theory. Julian Assange is the Roman Polanski of whistleblowers. I understand what you're going through. I really like The Ninth Gate. You really like Wikileaks. It's possible to like Wikileaks, without having to defend the bad things Assange has done, and without having to invent bizarre conspiracy theories to avoid having to admit that he's done them.

Last edited by theprestige; 19th June 2016 at 07:41 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 07:39 PM   #251
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sweden has a long history of harboring American spies and traitors. Sweden even has laws forbidding the extradition of political criminals. I can think of no agency less likely to turn Assange over to the US than Swedish law enforcement.

But Assange didn't stay in Sweden. He fled to the UK, where there are far less protections for American political criminals.

And he was even detained in the UK, but was not shipped to the US.

So much for your conspiracy theory.
Prove it.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 07:53 PM   #252
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,286
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Prove it.
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 07:56 PM   #253
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post

Prove it.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 06:54 AM   #254
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 10,622
The US doesn't even bother requesting extradition now.
Source
Quote:
the extradition treaty between the United States and Sweden does not allow extradition for spying.
“Espionage is considered a ‘political offense’ that, therefore, falls outside the scope of Sweden’s extradition treaty,” said Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd.
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 07:52 AM   #255
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
The US doesn't even bother requesting extradition now.
Source
Well...that's because the woman was a citizen of Sweden. However, if you are not a citizen of Sweden, then it's off to Torture Land for you: https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/...-cia-rendition


This whole Julian Assange thing ain't about rape folks - it's about being able to ship a guy off to be tortured and then tried by secret courts...something that Sweden has been complicit with in the past.

Also...the number of bleating sheep on this board is starting to sicken me. Too bad so many of them refuse to be men.

Last edited by Jules Galen; 20th June 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 08:20 AM   #256
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 10,622
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Well...that's because the woman was a citizen of Sweden.
Lie. As stated in the article and a fact you can look up easily is that the extradition treaty between Sweden and the USA specifically excludes political and military crimes.
Quote:
However, if you are not a citizen of Sweden, then it's off to Torture Land for you: https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/...-cia-rendition
Do you understand the difference between extradition and rendition? Hint: they are different things. And because I actually pay attention when things happen I recall the massive political stink this participation in rendition caused in Sweden. Remember that?
Quote:


This whole Julian Assange thing ain't about rape folks - it's about being able to ship a guy off to be tortured and then tried by secret courts.
It's so refreshing to have someone spout this without bothering to read up on the case. He left Sweden which has laws protecting him from extradition to the USA for the UK which, I am ashamed to say, has demonstrated a strong desire to be the USA's bitch, a long-standing cross-party tradition. Now he refuses to go to stand very public trial and be protected not only by that treaty but also by the EAW which requires that the UK would also have to agree to his extradition.
The USA didn't want him, despite his ego he's just the public face of the publisher. They wanted Snowden who actually had the guts and conviction to get that data out despite knowing what he would face.



http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/me...julian-assange
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 08:37 AM   #257
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Lie. As stated in the article and a fact you can look up easily is that the extradition treaty between Sweden and the USA specifically excludes political and military crimes.

Do you understand the difference between extradition and rendition? Hint: they are different things. And because I actually pay attention when things happen I recall the massive political stink this participation in rendition caused in Sweden. Remember that?

It's so refreshing to have someone spout this without bothering to read up on the case. He left Sweden which has laws protecting him from extradition to the USA for the UK which, I am ashamed to say, has demonstrated a strong desire to be the USA's bitch, a long-standing cross-party tradition. Now he refuses to go to stand very public trial and be protected not only by that treaty but also by the EAW which requires that the UK would also have to agree to his extradition.
The USA didn't want him, despite his ego he's just the public face of the publisher. They wanted Snowden who actually had the guts and conviction to get that data out despite knowing what he would face.



http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/me...julian-assange
No...I guess I really don't care to know the difference between two terms that end up with the same consequences: Torture and Secret Trial. And like I've proven, Sweden has been the USA's bitch for this.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/...-cia-rendition

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove breach of rule 12

Last edited by Agatha; 20th June 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 09:37 AM   #258
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 10,622
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
No...I guess I really don't care to know the difference between two terms that end up with the same consequences: Torture and Secret Trial.
If willful ignorance is your thing.....
Quote:
And like I've proven, Sweden has been the USA's bitch for this.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/...-cia-rendition
Did you actually read my reply?

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove quote of rule breaching material and response to same
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke

Last edited by Agatha; 20th June 2016 at 11:40 AM.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:13 AM   #259
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Prove it.
Sweden harboring American military defectors during the Vietnam War.

Sweden harboring a CIA defector because their extradition treaty doesn't permit them to return him to the US

That second case is especially relevant, because it plays out exactly the scenario you imagine for Assange: The fugitive seeks asylum in Sweden. The US demands his extradition. The Swedish government detains him.

But the scenario has some key differences from what you imagine: First, the US hasn't actually demanded Assange's extradition. Second, after detaining the fugitive, the Swedish government set him free again. Third, the fugitive in question was an actual defecting spy, not a publisher.

There are other problems with your conspiracy theory, too. For example, the US generally does not go after publishers of classified information. Earlier in the thread I cited a military college paper that recommends this policy. Go after the person responsible for the original leak, but do not go after the person(s) who publish the leaked material after the fact. And that's exactly what we see in the case of Assange: Bradley Manning is in a US prison. Julian Assange is a free man, and has been for years, as far as the US is concerned.

Then there's the problem that you can't explain why the US didn't get Assange when he was detained by Swedish police on 30 August 2010.

And you can't explain why the UK authorities didn't pick up Assange and turn him over to the US when he fled to the UK from Sweden.

And finally, of course, there's the problem that you haven't provided any evidence at all that any of your claims are true, or even likely. So now it's your turn: Prove it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:18 AM   #260
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sweden harboring American military defectors during the Vietnam War.

Sweden harboring a CIA defector because their extradition treaty doesn't permit them to return him to the US

That second case is especially relevant, because it plays out exactly the scenario you imagine for Assange: The fugitive seeks asylum in Sweden. The US demands his extradition. The Swedish government detains him.

But the scenario has some key differences from what you imagine: First, the US hasn't actually demanded Assange's extradition. Second, after detaining the fugitive, the Swedish government set him free again. Third, the fugitive in question was an actual defecting spy, not a publisher.

There are other problems with your conspiracy theory, too. For example, the US generally does not go after publishers of classified information. Earlier in the thread I cited a military college paper that recommends this policy. Go after the person responsible for the original leak, but do not go after the person(s) who publish the leaked material after the fact. And that's exactly what we see in the case of Assange: Bradley Manning is in a US prison. Julian Assange is a free man, and has been for years, as far as the US is concerned.

Then there's the problem that you can't explain why the US didn't get Assange when he was detained by Swedish police on 30 August 2010.

And you can't explain why the UK authorities didn't pick up Assange and turn him over to the US when he fled to the UK from Sweden.

And finally, of course, there's the problem that you haven't provided any evidence at all that any of your claims are true, or even likely. So now it's your turn: Prove it.
Blah. Blah. Blah.


Tell me Guantanomo....Secret Courts....Secret Warrents....A Worldwide Archipelago of CIA Torture Camps are a conspiracy.

I laugh in your face.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:20 AM   #261
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
No...I guess I really don't care to know the difference between two terms that end up with the same consequences: Torture and Secret Trial. And like I've proven, Sweden has been the USA's bitch for this.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/...-cia-rendition
None of that requires framing anyone. If you want to claim that the US can just snatch people from anywhere and send them off to be tortured in secret, fine. I wouldn't actually dispute that claim.

But if that's what they want to do with Assange, there's no need to go through all the trouble of a fake rape charge. The US could just snatch him any time. In fact, given the Swedish legal prohibitions against political extradition, and given the Swedish history of giving asylum to American defectors, involving the Swedish authorities would be counter-productive.

Once Assange is in Swedish custody, the US would have to go through a lot of extra effort to snatch him away for secret torture. It'd be much easier to let him live free, and then kidnap him off the street.

Which they didn't do. They didn't do it in Sweden. They didn't do it in the UK. But somehow you believe--without evidence--that they've done something much more complicated and unnecessary instead. Why would they bother?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:25 AM   #262
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
None of that requires framing anyone. If you want to claim that the US can just snatch people from anywhere and send them off to be tortured in secret, fine. I wouldn't actually dispute that claim.

But if that's what they want to do with Assange, there's no need to go through all the trouble of a fake rape charge.
The US could just snatch him any time. In fact, given the Swedish legal prohibitions against political extradition, and given the Swedish history of giving asylum to American defectors, involving the Swedish authorities would be counter-productive.

Once Assange is in Swedish custody, the US would have to go through a lot of extra effort to snatch him away for secret torture. It'd be much easier to let him live free, and then kidnap him off the street.

Which they didn't do. They didn't do it in Sweden. They didn't do it in the UK. But somehow you believe--without evidence--that they've done something much more complicated and unnecessary instead. Why would they bother?

Why not fake a rape Charge? Such a charge would have done wonders for discrediting Edward Snowden...but Fast Eddie was just a bit too fast!
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:39 AM   #263
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Blah. Blah. Blah.


Tell me Guantanomo....Secret Courts....Secret Warrents....A Worldwide Archipelago of CIA Torture Camps are a conspiracy.

I laugh in your face.
The conspiracy theory we're talking about is your theory that the US is conspiring with Swedish police to frame Assange for a crime he didn't commit. Your theory is problematic due not only to your refusal to provide evidence, but it also is contradicted by Swedish history and laws, and is also completely unnecessary to accomplish the goal you allege.

ETA: I see you've moved the goalposts, and are now alleging a different goal. Still no evidence for the frame, though.

Last edited by theprestige; 20th June 2016 at 10:52 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:51 AM   #264
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Why not fake a rape Charge? Such a charge would have done wonders for discrediting Edward Snowden...but Fast Eddie was just a bit too fast!

One reason not to do it is because it would require secretly and illegally influencing the Swedish police to create the frame. Discrediting Assange doesn't seem worth the effort and the risk, assuming the US even has the leverage to do it at all--something for which you've shown no evidence.

What about your claim that the purpose of the frame was to get Assange into Swedish custody so that he could be transferred to American custody? Are you abandoning that claim?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 10:55 AM   #265
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The conspiracy theory we're talking about is your theory that the US is conspiring with Swedish police to frame Assange for a crime he didn't commit. Your theory is problematic due not only to your refusal to provide evidence, but it also is contradicted by Swedish history and laws, and is also completely unnecessary to accomplish the goal you allege.
You know what is funny? I'll tell you.

If someone from 20 years ago had a time-machine PC that could look forward in time and read the last few posts of this thread, they would be utterly horrified. I mean, for one, nobody on this thread questions the existence of Secret Prison Camps, Secret Courts, Secret Warrants or a a USA Worldwide Torture Archipelago - this is all accepted. Really, if someone from 20 years ago had read that as a "post from the future" they would have been utterly flabbergasted.

But what what would even have been stranger still would have been to read postings on "Extradition" vs "Rendition" and other such legal drivel. Because, once a Global System of Secret Detention and Torture has been set up, what the hell good does it do to argue about the finer points of law?

Bro...somewhere there is a boiling pot of water with a dead frog in it....and you look like that frog.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 11:21 AM   #266
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
You know what is funny? I'll tell you.

If someone from 20 years ago had a time-machine PC that could look forward in time and read the last few posts of this thread, they would be utterly horrified. I mean, for one, nobody on this thread questions the existence of Secret Prison Camps, Secret Courts, Secret Warrants or a a USA Worldwide Torture Archipelago - this is all accepted. Really, if someone from 20 years ago had read that as a "post from the future" they would have been utterly flabbergasted.

But what what would even have been stranger still would have been to read postings on "Extradition" vs "Rendition" and other such legal drivel. Because, once a Global System of Secret Detention and Torture has been set up, what the hell good does it do to argue about the finer points of law?

Bro...somewhere there is a boiling pot of water with a dead frog in it....and you look like that frog.
I'm not arguing about finer points of law. I'm asking you for your evidence that the US is conspiring with Swedish police authorities to frame Julian Assange. I've explained why this frame doesn't seem plausible, because of Swedish history, Swedish law, lack of evidence, and lack of necessity.

Anyway, now you're back to the extradition/rendition claim. So let's focus on this one.

I'm also not disputing the idea of the US Torture Archipelago. I think it exists, and I think it's a serious problem. I also think you've found a really good name for it. But what we're talking about here is whether Assange is being fitted for the Archipelago.

I've looked at the available information. Not just the existence of the Archipelago. Not just the prior instances of extraordinary rendition. I've also looked at Swedish law and history. I've looked at the several detailed analyses of the case in Sweden. I've looked at the analyses of the UK court decision to extradite. I've looked at translations of the Swedish police authority documents and statements themselves. I've looked at the actions taken against Assange by the US government. I've looked at US policy recommendations for this kind of situation.

All of this stuff is available throughout this thread, along with extensive discussion by the membership here. And taking all the available information together, my conclusions are these: The Torture Archipelago exists. Extraordinary rendition really happens. Assange is not at risk of extraordinary rendition. Assange cannot be extradited from Sweden to the US. Assange is not being framed for sex crimes.

If you have new information to add to what I've already considered, I would be happy to consider it. Evidence that the US is actually conspiring with Swedish authorities would absolutely change my mind about the framing. A leak of secret US orders to rendition Assange would absolutely change my mind about his risk of rendition. A legal or diplomatic statement overturning Swedish law and history on the subject of political extradition would absolutely change my mind on that subject. Do you have any of these things?

Simply repeating one or two pieces of information that I've already considered, and already inform my conclusions, does nothing to alter my conclusions. You will need to provide something more, something new.

In other words: Prove it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 01:29 AM   #267
Tolls
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,382
I see the pro-Assange lot are still trying to argue that it would be easier for the US to extradite from Sweden than the UK.

And it's still just as much a bollocks argument now as it was when he walked into the embassy all those years ago.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 07:41 AM   #268
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
It's bollocks all the way down.

The idea that the US has some compelling need to kidnap Assange, and put him on trial, doesn't even make sense to begin with.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 12:37 PM   #269
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely
 
Sabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,383
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's bollocks all the way down.

The idea that the US has some compelling need to kidnap Assange, and put him on trial, doesn't even make sense to begin with.
This.

I work in and around the US government and have for the majority of my adult working career. Assange is barely a footnote in the whole situation; sure, some people wanted to see him pay in some way for releasing the documents, but once the Justice Department dismissed the idea nothing more has even been said about the man by the very people who were originally calling for his head.

Do you know what our politicians care about right now? The election and how certain key issues are going to play out, NONE of which involve Julian Assange. We've forgotten about him, more or less; him and his supporters (and there's relatively few of those in the grand scheme of things) are the only ones who are dead certain we're foaming at the mouth to get him back. Hate to break it to you, Julie baby, but you are NOT that important.
__________________
"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do."-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons... for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Sins are very desirable... as long as no one judges you for them.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 10:12 PM   #270
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 18,084
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Well...that's because the woman was a citizen of Sweden. However, if you are not a citizen of Sweden, then it's off to Torture Land for you: https://www.hrw.org/news/2006/11/09/...-cia-rendition


This whole Julian Assange thing ain't about rape folks - it's about being able to ship a guy off to be tortured and then tried by secret courts...something that Sweden has been complicit with in the past.

Also...the number of bleating sheep on this board is starting to sicken me. Too bad so many of them refuse to be men.
It's also about rape.

Just because you're a hero to many for standing up to the United States doesn't mean you get a pass on rape.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
__________________
Palestinian Refugees
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 10:37 PM   #271
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,057
I think Assange is too high profile to disappear into some hidden torture location
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 10:46 PM   #272
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 18,084
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
You know what is funny? I'll tell you.

If someone from 20 years ago had a time-machine PC that could look forward in time and read the last few posts of this thread, they would be utterly horrified. I mean, for one, nobody on this thread questions the existence of Secret Prison Camps, Secret Courts, Secret Warrants or a a USA Worldwide Torture Archipelago - this is all accepted. Really, if someone from 20 years ago had read that as a "post from the future" they would have been utterly flabbergasted.

But what what would even have been stranger still would have been to read postings on "Extradition" vs "Rendition" and other such legal drivel. Because, once a Global System of Secret Detention and Torture has been set up, what the hell good does it do to argue about the finer points of law?

Bro...somewhere there is a boiling pot of water with a dead frog in it....and you look like that frog.
Evidence of one bad thing doesn't stand in for evidence of a completely different bad thing.


Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
__________________
Palestinian Refugees
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 10:52 PM   #273
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I think Assange is too high profile to disappear into some hidden torture location
Wow...so that's the state of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" now, huh?

Low Profile= Maybe disapear into a hidden torture location.

High Profile = Something else.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 10:54 PM   #274
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It's also about rape.

Just because you're a hero to many for standing up to the United States doesn't mean you get a pass on rape.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
It worked for Thomas Jefferson when he stood up to Britain!
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 11:00 PM   #275
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,057
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Wow...so that's the state of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" now, huh?

Low Profile= Maybe disapear into a hidden torture location.

High Profile = Something else.
Don't know.

I'm just talking about Assange
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2016, 04:51 AM   #276
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 18,084
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
It worked for Thomas Jefferson when he stood up to Britain!
It works for ISIL and their treatment of Yazidi women too.

Are you actually arguing he should get a pass on rape? Or are you just saying random crap just to be saying anything at all?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
__________________
Palestinian Refugees
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:48 AM   #277
Wudang
BOFH
 
Wudang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: People's Republic of South Yorkshire
Posts: 10,622
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It's also about rape.

Just because you're a hero to many for standing up to the United States doesn't mean you get a pass on rape.
See also
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Listen...many guys have no respect for girls who willingly get drunk in public and they consider them dirty, filthy sluts. I know I do and there is no way I would ever run to the protection of such a drunken woman. Seriously, I got better things to do with my life than to fight off the rapists that she invited by her behavior. Hey...if I go to combat and get my arse beat on for protecting a woman, it's going to be for a woman that really "wasn't asking for it".
I can certainly draw my own conclusions.
__________________
Aphorism: Subjects most likely to be declared inappropriate for humor are the ones most in need of it. -epepke
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:03 AM   #278
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,099
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Wow...so that's the state of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" now, huh?

Low Profile= Maybe disapear into a hidden torture location.

High Profile = Something else.
That does appear to be the state of it, yes. So much for your theory that the US is conspiring with Sweden to frame Assange.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2016, 09:34 AM   #279
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,495
A sad day for Assange as he learns that he'll be staying put for another month at least.

The Swedish Court of Appeal have upheld the Arrest Warrant.

Ecuadorian Authorities have agreed allow Swedish Prosecutors to interview him, but while they are allowed to sit in, they have to give the questions to the Ecuadorian Prosecutor, who will then ask them to Assange. This is due to occur on Oct 17th.

I wonder how long they will take to hand him over if (when) the Swedish Prosecutor says they want to formally charge him.

His Swedish Lawyers have declared they'll appeal all the way to the Supreme Court.

Some Comments...

Quote:
"Sadly, Sweden has a long history of compromising its rule of law where the perceived interests of the United States are concerned"
In fact it's actually the other way about, they have a very good track record of telling the US to jump in the lake, other than in a single case where a pair of "refugees" who lost their case and denied asylum, were then sent back to Egypt at the CIA's request before they could appeal.

Quote:
"It is a matter of considerable concern for them that the court declined to apply the UN Working Group's finding that Mr Assange is in fact detained at present, and that this detention is illegal"
That's because the UN working group's findings were a joke based entirely on the brief provided by Assange's legal team. The Court considered it and stated...

"Julian Assange cannot be deemed to be unable to leave the Embassy," the judgement said. "His stay, as such, is not to be regarded as an unlawful deprivation of liberty."

This is totally correct. Assange can leave the Embassy whenever he wants. The trouble is that he doesn't want to face the consequences of his act of breaking bail. Seems like he has a habit of refusing to face the consequences of his actions.

Quote:
"The court also failed to give sufficient weight to the fact that Julian is not to blame for the delays in the investigation; six years is simply too long to investigate one allegation, for which he was already cleared by the previous prosecutor."
Incorrect. Firstly, it is entirely Assange's fault, first he run away to the UK, then he fought the extradition back, then he fled to the Embassy instead of returning.

Secondly, the previous prosecutor didn't clear him, in fact he was never cleared.

The First Prosecutor set up an arrest warrant for him for two counts of sexual molestation. The second reduced the actions for what he was wanted and removed the arrest warrant, but the accusations remained in their reduced capacity of sexual misconduct. The Third Prosecutor, and the previous one to the current one, reinstated one of the charges and increased the other to rape.

Quote:
"These delays are incompatible with his presumption of innocence, and right to clear his name in an expeditious manner."
If he wants to clear his name, there is a really easy way to do that, has been for the last 6 years.....

Quote:
"It is also disturbing that the court failed to refer to Ecuador's decision to grant him asylum under the 1951 Refugee Convention. Sweden is a state party to this convention, and cannot ignore the fact that Ecuador has, after a thorough assessment, determined that Julian requires effective protection against the risk of torture and persecution presented by the ongoing US investigation against him and Wikileaks."
Along with the National Enquirer and the Onion. I have a bridge for sale, any takers?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th September 2016 at 09:39 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2016, 03:43 PM   #280
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,283
Questioning of Julian Assange by Swedish authorities postponed.

One month ago the Swedish prosecutors agreed to question Assange in the UK.
The date was set, the Ecuadorians agreed it, Assange agreed it, presumable Assange's shysters agreed it.

October 17.

It is now deferred to November 17. Why?
A spokesman for Assange’s legal team said: “The attorney general’s office of Ecuador considered that a deferment was necessary to ensure the presence of Mr Assange’s attorneys.”
Why did they not consider this a month ago when the October date was set?

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle Mr. Assange.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.