ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2015, 03:09 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Kid re-wires clock, gets suspended from school for "bomb hoax"

Irving ISD student detained for invention resembling bomb

"IRVING – A MacArthur High School freshman said school officials overreacted and called police after mistakenly thinking his latest invention looked like a fake bomb.

Irving police detained 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed on Monday.

Officers said the clock and wires inside his Vaultz pencil case looked like a hoax bomb to them.

But Ahmed — an engineering student who has won awards for his inventions — said he created the clock over the weekend, and brought it to school to show an engineering teacher earlier in the day."

No reference to any "fake explosive," just wires and a digital clock.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 03:19 AM   #2
catsmate
No longer the 1

I favour the introduction of corporal punishment for stupid school officials.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 03:22 AM   #3
uk_dave
Philosopher

Can't help having the suspicion that perhaps he encouraged the idea of it being a bomb....

"Psssst! 'Ere mate, take a look at this.... made it last night..... could be fun later, you know?..... Keep it to yourself"

.... and then regretted it later.

Geez, I even googled the 'Vaultz Pencil Case"....they aint cheap!
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 03:28 AM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

His name is Ahmed and he's studying engineering. That's two strikes. I don't suppose he wears a burka?
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 03:39 AM   #5
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

The officers say it looked like a fake bomb to them? Presumably because a real bomb would not involve a digital clock? I'm not sure how to feel about this. A lot depends on what he was actually trying to achieve with the clock and what explanation he offered teachers / police. The school are saying it was in a briefcase and began making a noise when plugged into a wall. The police are saying Ahmed was passive aggressive and not giving any clear reason as to why he had it. His family are saying he was racially profiled.

Frankly it's not clear at the moment exactly what happened. Maybe Ahmed's completely innocent project was over reacted to by staff who just wouldn't listen to his perfectly reasonable explanation. Maybe he was angered by an unexpected reaction to his project and reacted in a way that seemed unreasonable to staff and police. More information required.
Old 16th September 2015, 03:41 AM   #6
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
His name is Ahmed and he's studying engineering. That's two strikes. I don't suppose he wears a burka?
If you mean the men's garment I think it has a different name(*), otherwise that would be 4 strike . She would be a women in addition to the other 3 strikes .

(*) I was told by moslem in my city that Burqa is mostly an older women garment, younger use most hijab, and chador.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 03:55 AM   #7
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
If you mean the men's garment I think it has a different name(*), otherwise that would be 4 strike . She would be a women in addition to the other 3 strikes .

(*) I was told by moslem in my city that Burqa is mostly an older women garment, younger use most hijab, and chador.
One assumes Muslim men can make the same gender identity choices as anyone else. Statistically, 64% of the posters on this forum are wearing bra and panties under their "gender normal" outerwear. I don't judge them.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 04:39 AM   #8
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

In Hollywood bombs always have a clock or a countdown timer on them, in real life they have nothing of the sort.
Old 16th September 2015, 04:53 AM   #9
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
In Hollywood bombs always have a clock or a countdown timer on them, in real life they have nothing of the sort.
Yeah, but a kid might not know that when constructing a fake bomb.
Old 16th September 2015, 05:05 AM   #10
Mumbles
Illuminator

...Hate to say it, but yeah, that sounds about right. I'm reminded of that time Boston's mayor threw a fit over some Mooninite lite brites.

But as an engineer who did similar seemingly pointless experiments as a kid, it still infuriates me.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 05:21 AM   #11
Rincewind
Philosopher

Oh, c'mon now - You must have a couple of sticks of dynamite as well.

The clock is vital - how else can the hero stop the bomb just in time?

Surely this is how you know it's a real bomb?

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 05:22 AM   #12
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

If you can't do the time, don't do the timer.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 05:25 AM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I eBayed a digital clock kit to put together with a six year old grand niece. Screen,IC, resistors, caps, transistor and circuit board. $2.76 delivered from China. Every thing but a battery holder. I planned on making one out of PVC pipe. I better not let her take it to school to show off.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 05:35 AM   #14
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

The article says that he is an engineering student who has won awards for his inventions. Surely the teachers know this kid. The reaction should have just been "Oh, there's Ahmed with one of his gadgets again. Ahmed, put that away. Now is not the time." But they acted like he was some stranger who showed up out of nowhere. Also, it says he had planned to show it to his engineering teacher. Didn't this teacher back him up?

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 05:47 AM   #15
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
...Hate to say it, but yeah, that sounds about right. I'm reminded of that time Boston's mayor threw a fit over some Mooninite lite brites.

But as an engineer who did similar seemingly pointless experiments as a kid, it still infuriates me.
I used to get that for chemistry as a kid. Everything I made was seen by outsiders as "some sort of explosive/bomb." Unfortunate.
Old 16th September 2015, 05:56 AM   #16
tuco
Graduate Poster

I guess kids gonna have good laughs at the expense of the school officials now

Maybe Achmed could do some parody .. silence!
tuco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 06:09 AM   #17
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I eBayed a digital clock kit to put together with a six year old grand niece. Screen,IC, resistors, caps, transistor and circuit board. $2.76 delivered from China. Every thing but a battery holder. I planned on making one out of PVC pipe. I better not let her take it to school to show off.
Well not having a name like Ahmed Mohamed is likely going to help keep her out of trouble.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 06:10 AM   #18
Rincewind
Philosopher

I used to get that for chemistry as a kid. Everything I made was seen by outsiders as "some sort of explosive/bomb." Unfortunate.
But weren't you actually making bombs?

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 06:14 AM   #19
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
But weren't you actually making bombs?

I think this is the point where the attorneys tell me to "take the 5th" - whatever that means...
Old 16th September 2015, 06:30 AM   #20
Dessi
Species Traitor

Next science experiment: Ahmed removes the cathrode ray tube from an old television, school officials expel him because it looks like a nuclear enrichment device from the last season of 24.

Last edited by Dessi; 16th September 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Dessi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 06:37 AM   #21
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

In a similar vein....Last week, we got a call about a student who was sitting in a room with a sword. The caller felt "threatened" by this.
We located the individual and discovered that the lad had one of these:
http://www.cgets.com/Broadsword-Umbr...aqfBoCY3_w_wcB

We thought it was really cool but advised the lad not to bring it school, especially the Social Work school where folks tend to be a bit overly-sensitive.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 06:46 AM   #22
Jrrarglblarg

He was "passive aggressive" they say.

My guess -

SchoolJerk: "why did you bring a fake bomb to school?"
StupidFreshman: "why do you think it's a bomb? What part do you think blows up?"
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 06:51 AM   #23
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
In a similar vein....Last week, we got a call about a student who was sitting in a room with a sword. The caller felt "threatened" by this.
We located the individual and discovered that the lad had one of these:
http://www.cgets.com/Broadsword-Umbr...aqfBoCY3_w_wcB

We thought it was really cool but advised the lad not to bring it school, especially the Social Work school where folks tend to be a bit overly-sensitive.
It could have been worse - he could have brought the "Light-Sabre" one.
Old 16th September 2015, 06:59 AM   #24
Border Reiver
Philosopher

The Dallas news reports that this 14 year old brought a clock he made to school to show his science teacher, who's advice to him was "don't show it to anyone else." And he didn't, until the alarm went off in English class. And somehow we go from teen bringing selfmade clock to school to a police officer opining "Yup, that's what I thought he'd look like" and leading him out of the school in cuffs and a three day suspension because (I'm guessing without a case over the innards) said clock looked like cartoon bomb.

People like this make me want to grab them and shake the common sense into them.

After encouraging Ahmed to keep up the good work.
Old 16th September 2015, 07:04 AM   #25
Jrrarglblarg

I think we should launch a kickstarter to buy him a breadboard and digital temp control soldering iron.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:05 AM   #26
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but a kid might not know that when constructing a fake bomb.
Or a real one.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:22 AM   #27
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

The facebook page of the HS: https://www.facebook.com/MacArthur-H...2080/timeline/

I'd comment there if I had a facebook account, but I don't.
Old 16th September 2015, 07:26 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
It could have been worse - he could have brought the "Light-Sabre" one.
That is the TSA and Peter Mayhew.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:46 AM   #29
elgarak
Illuminator

He's also brown-skinned. Strike Three! Off to Guantanamo!
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:50 AM   #30
Mark6
Philosopher

Here is the part which pisses me off the most:
Quote:
“We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb,” [police spokesman] McLellan said. “He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.”

Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:

“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”
Once they knew it was a nothing but a clock, "broader explanation" could only means "something we could charge him with". And I admire the kid keeping his cool and "maintaining it was a clock". Never give police a "broader explanation".
Old 16th September 2015, 07:51 AM   #31
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Social media is reporting that the mayor of Irving is a virulent Islamophobe who is "outspokenly determined to prevent sharia law from destroying the US from within". I dont know whether this was a factor in the way that the police has conducted the case.

It's also interesting to me that the kid is accused of being "passive aggressive", is that code for not actually aggressive but sticking to his guns ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:52 AM   #32
fagin
Illuminator

The facebook page of the HS: https://www.facebook.com/MacArthur-H...2080/timeline/

I'd comment there if I had a facebook account, but I don't.
Don't worry. Plenty of people have already posted random **** on your behalf.
Old 16th September 2015, 07:54 AM   #33
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Well, what else can you expect from a town who makes an anti-muslim campaign based on a completely made up chain e-mail?

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:55 AM   #34
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
The article says that he is an engineering student who has won awards for his inventions. Surely the teachers know this kid. The reaction should have just been "Oh, there's Ahmed with one of his gadgets again. Ahmed, put that away. Now is not the time." But they acted like he was some stranger who showed up out of nowhere. Also, it says he had planned to show it to his engineering teacher. Didn't this teacher back him up?

Probably not, or we'd be reading about the teacher being busted as an accessory to the crime.

And mebbe fired.
Old 16th September 2015, 07:58 AM   #35
Monza
Alta Viro

Quote:
“We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb,” [police spokesman] McLellan said. “He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.”

Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:

“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”

Uhm... to tell time?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 08:02 AM   #36
iknownothing
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's also interesting to me that the kid is accused of being "passive aggressive", is that code for not actually aggressive but sticking to his guns ?
Or just being flustered and not knowing what to say to them beyond "it's a clock."
iknownothing is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 08:06 AM   #37
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well not having a name like Ahmed Mohamed is likely going to help keep her out of trouble.
weeel, she is half blonde, half Vietnamese. So probably looks the part to a lot of people.

Good thing she is being home schooled.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 08:54 AM   #38
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
weeel, she is half blonde, half Vietnamese. So probably looks the part to a lot of people.

Good thing she is being home schooled.
An aesthetically potent genetic combination. I recommend a stout length of hickory for her dad to chase the boys away in a few years.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:03 AM   #39
Jrrarglblarg

An interview with the "suspect."
http://www.latimes.com/visuals/video...ddedvideo.html

Yep, I wanna buy him a soldering station. Anyone here with crowd funding experience? Seriously.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:07 AM   #40
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

No need to put him on the no-fly list. There has to be at least one Ahmed Mohamed on there already.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events