ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th September 2015, 12:43 AM   #361
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I’ve already said what I am thinking: He had existing electronics projects that he could have brought in to show his teacher, but instead just rearranged clock in case to look somewhat like a bomb (a “suspicious” “threat” to use his own words) because he knew some teachers would freak out over this “innocent” project and expose their racism and Islamophobia. It worked. Much better than I think he could have ever hoped.

There was no crime committed, which is why the police did not charge him with anything. He was arrested (or at least detained, I’m not sure if he was actually arrest), handcuffed, and interrogated because the school reported the device to the police and when the police investigate this suspicious device he refused to explain his intentions, he he built it, and why he brought it to school.

He would only say that it was a clock. The police could clearly see that it was a clock. But it was a clock that clearly some people in some circumstances might perceive to be a bomb. So the police wanted to know what he was up to. He wouldn’t tell them. So they took him downtown until they could sort out what was going on. Once they figured things out, they let him go and determined no charges would be filed because he did not have intentions to use the device to cause alarm.

If he had told the police right away that he was into electronics and had made a homemade clock to show his skills to his engineering teacher and talk to him about staring an electronics or robotics club, I expect the officers would have checked out his story and soon sent him back to class without incident. But he didn’t do that. In fact, it appears the police found out more about this case through newspaper reports than they did from their own interrogation.

Why did he not tell the police all of this when they asked in order to prevent this whole incident, while he so willingly and readily told all of it to the press?
Probably because the kid was annoyed being treated like a terrorist

Maybe you can explain why so many cops were there

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 02:02 AM   #362
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
In fairness he was probably on his way to the ROTC room again, where the female cadets tended to get in knife fights.
Yeah, you can't miss a good knife fight.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 02:28 AM   #363
Desert Fox
Philosopher

I found this article on a similar case from a few years ago
http://www.slate.com/blogs/schooled/...isrc=obnetwork
Old 19th September 2015, 03:14 AM   #364
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Greatest thread ever!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 04:59 AM   #365
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

In high school I took an empty pineapple grenade to hand someone as a joke. Afterward I was in a stairwell trying to put the pin back in. My hands were shaking because I'd been laughing so hard. Vice principle came up and saw me, I showed the open bottom to him and said "it's not real" and he let me go about my business.
One of my classmates had a father in EOD, he brought in a disarmed Mills bomb once. The worst he got was "Put it away and open you book".

In fairness he was probably on his way to the ROTC room again, where the female cadets tended to get in knife fights.

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
That's what I am leaning towards. A media stunt of some sort.
Based on..............?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 06:36 AM   #366
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Doesn't a bomb need like... something that goes bang?
Well yes to be a bomb something needs to be explosive but since this device looks like a bomb whos to say there was no explosive material?
Old 19th September 2015, 06:37 AM   #367
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I don't blame the school or the police one bit for being suspecious.
Old 19th September 2015, 06:50 AM   #368
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Well yes to be a bomb something needs to be explosive but since this device looks like a bomb whos to say there was no explosive material?
Uh, because there clearly wasn't any explosive material? Explosive material is pretty easy to recognize, and there was none in any photo of the device I've seen.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 06:58 AM   #369
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Uh, because there clearly wasn't any explosive material? Explosive material is pretty easy to recognize, and there was none in any photo of the device I've seen.
It's that invisible explosive they used to wire up WTC!
Old 19th September 2015, 07:22 AM   #370
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I don't blame the school or the police one bit for being suspecious.
Um, they weren't suspicious. They never thought it might be a bomb. They accused him of making a hoax bomb. Despite the fact that he never claimed or pretended it was a bomb.

As I said yesterday, it's like bringing a slide rule to school and being accused of bringing a toy gun. Or a fake Swiss army knife
Old 19th September 2015, 07:28 AM   #371
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So now people are going to dis the kid? Is he being admired for being an engineering genius?

He was falsely accused, not falsely praised.
Obama said something nice about the kid so the haters come out of the woodwork.
Old 19th September 2015, 08:13 AM   #372
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
It's that invisible explosive they used to wire up WTC!
Mossad doesn't give that stuff to kids.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 08:15 AM   #373
Newtons Bit
Philosopher

Where would he have put it? This is his "briefcase":

"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 09:13 AM   #374
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
Why did he not tell the police all of this when they asked in order to prevent this whole incident, while he so willingly and readily told all of it to the press?
How do we know he didn't?

They spent quite a while interrogating him. He could have told them everything by the end of all that. Just because we get quoted a one liner by the people desperately trying to justify their overreaction doesn't mean that is all he said.

Or all they were told by anyone else.

Until they release a recording of the entire interrogation I won't assume I know everything he or anyone else said.

Why should we?
Old 19th September 2015, 09:26 AM   #375
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Is he Jewish too? Perhaps he is a liaison from one conspiracy to another- I presume all the world conspiracies have to coordinate at some level. And how clever to make him look only 14 years old!

God, it is good that I didn't have access to plastic explosives when I was 14. I certainly would never have intentionally harmed anyone with them, but I doubt that I would have survived my own "experiments" in the basement. The thermite was dangerous enough (in case you are wondering I gave the extra a few decades ago to these nice maintenance workers at the World Trade Towers, so I don't have any now).
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 09:28 AM   #376
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Where would he have put it? This is his "briefcase":

http://i.imgur.com/hvBAR2V.jpg
Thanks- I new it was a pencil case but that really clarified the small scale of the entire device.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 09:30 AM   #377
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
How do we know he didn't?

They spent quite a while interrogating him. He could have told them everything by the end of all that. Just because we get quoted a one liner by the people desperately trying to justify their overreaction doesn't mean that is all he said.

Or all they were told by anyone else.

Until they release a recording of the entire interrogation I won't assume I know everything he or anyone else said.

Why should we?
Because, it has to be this kid's fault that the police over-reacted. It can't be racial profiling, because racism is dead.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 09:30 AM   #378
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

With all this discussion of if lose wires suggest the presence of a bomb, it is a good thing that no one looked at my first electronic project building: a shortwave radio. The wiring looked like something done by a very drunk spider.
Old 19th September 2015, 09:32 AM   #379
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Because, it has to be this kid's fault that the police over-reacted. It can't be racial profiling, because racism is dead.
Oh no Mr. Bill: racism is dead only among white people: it is the minorities keeping it alive by daring to bring the idea up.

Have I been watching too many Republican Presidential debates?
Old 19th September 2015, 09:39 AM   #380
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I don't blame the school or the police one bit for being suspicious.
I'm with you.
I don't blame them for being suspicious.

I blame them for all the things they did after their suspiciousness lead them to thoroughly examine the device. Specifically, for handcuffing him, for booking him, for questioning him for an hour without a parent present, for trying to get him to sign away his rights, and for insisting that everything they did was correct and appropriate.
Old 19th September 2015, 09:41 AM   #381
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I can only hope this is a charter school so that the public doesn't have to pay for the lawsuit.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 09:49 AM   #382
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
With all this discussion of if lose wires suggest the presence of a bomb, it is a good thing that no one looked at my first electronic project building: a shortwave radio. The wiring looked like something done by a very drunk spider.
I build stuff that looks like drunken spiderwebs all the time, sometimes with dangerous amounts of power. ProTip: fuses aren't really all that important, alligator clip leads melt and burn through just fine when the inevitable short circuit happens.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 11:52 AM   #383
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
The actual evidence would appear to be the lack of any realistic response to it being a bomb.
And the dramatic over reaction if they thought it was a fake one.
They knew it was not a bomb, they thought it was a fake bomb though, which is a crime. Yes, they were stupid to think it was a fake bomb, but school administrators have done worse. There was a case of a 7 year old kid that was charged for bring some cheap nerf gun (that was obviously a toy) to school a few years ago, he was charged for bring an imitation firearm.

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
It looks very much like a clock- it is a clock! In fact a poster was complaining that it looked too much like a normal alarm clock to be a "real" electronics project.

Leave something like this on a subway and some cop might look at it and assure themselves it was just a clock. If you were carrying it on the subway, the police might ask "What's that?" If you told them it is a clock, they might at most ask you to open it. I can't imagine being arrested for it. Let alone a 14 year old boy.

You don't believe it was bigotry? Sure. Okay. But I do.
It does not look like a clock. The fact that it is a clock has no bearing on what it looks like, that's just circular logic. You can believe in a teacup orbiting jupiter for all I care, doesn't mean there is evidence for it. Bigotry is more probable than said teacup, but you get the point I hope.

Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I found this article on a similar case from a few years ago
http://www.slate.com/blogs/schooled/...isrc=obnetwork
Must be because she was black.
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 12:45 PM   #384
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

One of my classmates had a father in EOD, he brought in a disarmed Mills bomb once. The worst he got was "Put it away and open you book".

Based on..............?
Based on the reports I have read about the kid, his family, the original clock, and the case.

I also think the police and teachers may have been suspicious of the kid because he was evasive about the clock.

But...the reason he might have been evasive about the clock was not because it was a fake bomb, but because he had been lying about building the clock.

That is, he was acting suspicious because he feared being caught in the lie about building/inventing/making the clock, and this combined with the teacher/police bomb paranoia, was a perfect storm.

Perhaps he'd told all his family/friends/teachers his clock story, and it wasn't true, and he couldn't stand being caught in those lies?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 12:52 PM   #385
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=ThunderChunky;10883663
It does not look like a clock. The fact that it is a clock has no bearing on what it looks like, that's just circular logic. You can believe in a teacup orbiting jupiter for all I care, doesn't mean there is evidence for it. Bigotry is more probable than said teacup, but you get the point I hope.
[/QUOTE]

No, I don't get the point. It looks exactly like a clock. It shows a display of the time exactly like any commercial digital alarm clock. It is in a small box, just like almost any commercial digital alarm clock. I have one that looks a lot like it next to my bed. And it is a clock (not cited as circular logic, just as confirmation that not only does it look like a clock, it is a clock). The evidence, unlike your hypothetical teacup around Jupiter, is the photo of the clock. One poster notes that it looks so much like a commercial alarm clock that it probably was just a commercial alarm clock remounted (which might be true- still a nice job compared to what I could do).
Old 19th September 2015, 02:05 PM   #386
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

I think you meant ISIL... oh no wait.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 02:12 PM   #387
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Based on the reports I have read about the kid, his family, the original clock, and the case.

I also think the police and teachers may have been suspicious of the kid because he was evasive about the clock.
CT forum is that-a-way ===>
Quote:
But...the reason he might have been evasive about the clock was not because it was a fake bomb, but because he had been lying about building the clock.

That is, he was acting suspicious because he feared being caught in the lie about building/inventing/making the clock, and this combined with the teacher/police bomb paranoia, was a perfect storm.

Perhaps he'd told all his family/friends/teachers his clock story, and it wasn't true, and he couldn't stand being caught in those lies?
so we go from "Passive-agressive" to "Suspicious" in one swell foop...
CT===>
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 02:34 PM   #388
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

That is, he was acting suspicious because he feared being caught in the lie about building/inventing/making the clock, and this combined with the teacher/police bomb paranoia, was a perfect storm

<snip>

The stupid has jumped the shark.

He was showing it to his engineering instructor. That instructor would never have believed such a lie and would never have been fooled into thinking that. After all, he could tell just by looking, and the kid would know that perfectly well.

Assuming other people are as ill-informed and scientifically illiterate as you are is always a mistake.
Old 19th September 2015, 03:19 PM   #389
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Maybe you can explain why so many cops were there
The police chief explained that. There are two school resource officers assigned to each school. When there is an incident reported at a school, those two officer respond, which is what happened in this case. Due to the “complexity” of the case (which I assume means the officers didn’t know what to do) they called in their supervisor. The supervisor happened to be with another sergeant that the time, so that sergeant came along as well. So it ended up with four officers.

I don’t see anything odd with the number of officers that responded.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 03:28 PM   #390
fagin
Illuminator

Good thing they didn't have to deal with a real crime then. Might have needed a few dozen, a SWAT team and a couple of tanks.
Old 19th September 2015, 03:30 PM   #391
fagin
Illuminator

Reading that again, US schools have permanent cops on the premises?

Or maybe I read that wrong.

Last edited by fagin; 19th September 2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Comprehension fail.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 03:36 PM   #392
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

"Resource officers".

"Cops" sounds so Orwellian.

(Oops. Maybe I got that backward. )
Old 19th September 2015, 03:42 PM   #393
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The stupid has jumped the shark.

He was showing it to his engineering instructor. That instructor would never have believed such a lie and would never have been fooled into thinking that. After all, he could tell just by looking, and the kid would know that perfectly well.

Assuming other people are as ill-informed and scientifically illiterate as you are is always a mistake.
And freshman in high school never, ever do stupid things thinking they will get away with it.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 03:42 PM   #394
Jrrarglblarg

Schools in colorado have had cops, called "resource officers," on daily duty since before I was in HS in the 80s. At our K-8 school the officers wear a different shirt, with school color and white panels like a sports jersey, that has the name of the school and school mascot (a timber wolf) on it; at the high school just up the street the police have an actual substation on campus, an office across the hall from the school administration office.

And yes, before some ukian asks, the resource officers have weapons. In my town all cops carry a 9mm and a taser pistol both. The taser is generally in a holster lower on the leg than the pistol although some officers carry it on the left (or non dominant side) instead.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 19th September 2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 19th September 2015, 03:59 PM   #395
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And freshman in high school never, ever do stupid things thinking they will get away with it.

Tell me the truth, "Brainster". Do you really, sincerely think that he was he was acting suspicious because he feared being caught in the lie about building/inventing/making the clock?
Old 19th September 2015, 04:00 PM   #396
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Schools in colorado have had cops, called "resource officers," on daily duty since before I was in HS in the 80s. At our K-8 school the officers wear a different shirt, with school color and white panels like a sports jersey, that has the name of the school and school mascot (a timber wolf) on it; at the high school just up the street the police have an actual substation on campus, an office across the hall from the school administration office.

And yes, before some ukian asks, the resource officers have weapons. In my town all cops carry a 9mm and a taser pistol both. The taser is generally in a holster lower on the leg than the pistol although some officers carry it on the left (or non dominant side) instead.

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 04:01 PM   #397
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

When I was in grade school the closest thing we had to cops were the sixth graders assigned to manage the street crossings.

After grade school you had to make it across the street on your own.

Last edited by quadraginta; 19th September 2015 at 04:27 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2015, 04:05 PM   #398
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Tell me the truth, "Brainster". Do you really, sincerely think that he was he was acting suspicious because he feared being caught in the lie about building/inventing/making the clock?
I don't have any idea. I do know that various people have shown that the clock he "invented" was actually a Radio Shack clock.
Old 19th September 2015, 04:07 PM   #399
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

When I was in grade school the closest thing we had to cops were the sixth graders assigned to manage the street crossings.
Complete with high viz tops

Man I looked cool

Old 19th September 2015, 04:09 PM   #400
Jrrarglblarg

I was just Friday telling RocketGirl about doing that when I was in 6th grade. In Boise the resource officer was a crap detail assignment, and one officer would cover several school, coming by to show anti-shoplifting videos and whatnot; in Denver the gang problems were significant enough by '80 to require daily police presence on campus. Some schools needed it more than others, I was in one where Mexican and Vietnamese gangs had friction. As I mentioned the other day, female ROTC cadets having knife fights in the ROTC room was a thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events