ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st September 2016, 07:43 PM   #41
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Find black ones and I'll concede that point.
http://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-ties/7056417/

We used to use this particular cable tie in the T56-A-15 (C130K Hercules) and T56-A-14 (P3K Orion) engine test beds.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2016, 07:44 PM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How did all those people in Naples, FL not see the cable going up to the helicopter? Franky flies close to the filmers in the audience and we don't see any cable either.

There is no cable. Franky is really flying that thing.
Old 21st September 2016, 07:46 PM   #43
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
p.s don't think for a second i am kissing you guys's ass. Its been known for decades that intelligent smart people can be some of the dumbest MF'ers in the world at times. And the easiest to fool.
You've been yanking our chain right from the start. You never did think that it is a hoax.
Old 21st September 2016, 08:12 PM   #44
esspee
black goo

this post deleted coz i think W parcher saw it already.

Last edited by esspee; 21st September 2016 at 08:25 PM.
esspee is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2016, 10:35 PM   #45
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

What would it take to convince you it was real?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2016, 11:31 PM   #46
EHocking
Philosopher

I see what you did there. Very good.

That is why i came here.

You don't need to be smart yourself, you just need to discuss with and bounce things off smart people. And i think you are smart.

In this thread i have outsourced the intelligence and knowledge base that will be needed to break this hoax to you guys. Thanks for playing along. You will all be credited if i break this story.

Regarding who contacted the FAA. After posting in this thrread about the FAA and how an American might be able to find out blah blah blah.....well, i wasted no time. I contacted a person in the USA. They spoke to the FAA. The FAA said to them that they did not know either way.

Phone the FAA yourself if you are unsure.
I don't believe a word of this. Pretend 2nd hand anecdotes are meaningless.

I gave you the direct email to the FAA officer who responded to FOX news question re: the Naples display. If you are that convinced the aircraft is a hoax - here is the authority to help you with the coffin nails.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2016, 11:38 PM   #47
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

To be fair, that response from the FAA only confirms they didn't give permission for the flight. Not that it actually happened. They could be 'aware' of it for exactly the same reasons we are - they've seen the videos.

(For the record, I am entirely persuaded it's real.)
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2016, 11:44 PM   #48
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
How did all those people in Naples, FL not see the cable going up to the helicopter? Franky flies close to the filmers in the audience and we don't see any cable either.

There is no cable. Franky is really flying that thing.
I've only just dipped into this thread and watched a video or two, and agree with this.

Also, while a cable might (conceivably) be missed, the crane it hangs from wouldn't be. It's all very silly.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:41 AM   #49
catsmate
No longer the 1

erm.....
If the spaceX had even one failure involving the second stage, then that alone is evidence that there is something faulty with the second stage.

If there was nothing faulty with the second stage, no failure could have occurred...during the second stage.

I would say that 50 million people in only 48hrs on facebook alone would disagree with you there.

It would appear that these 2 journalists failed to do any research on Franky prior to showing up. And Frankie thought it best not to mention that he was doing the USA's first demonstration of an experimental aircraft quite like any other. Just completely skipped over that. Meanwhile, eye witnesses in the comments section of the videos on facebook are declaring it was the single most amazing thing they have ever seen in person in there entire flipping lives.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:43 AM   #50
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
...yet he still claims to be involved in aviation, but does not understand that even a small turbine engine can deliver more thrust than a water jet.
Exactly.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:49 AM   #51
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
There it is, proof solid the Flyboard Air is a fake!

Everyone knows cats have NINE lives. So Zapata is signaling to everyone the lie of it all.

Checkmate believers!
A teeny bit OT but while many cultures consider felines to have multiple lives the exact number varies; Spanish speaking areas often believe cats have seven lives (and this also holds in parts of France), while many Turkish and Arabic legends claim cats have six lives. Hence the Spanish sitcom 7 vidas, a Friends clone, uses a cat symbol. Zapata was born in Marseille.
Back the regular thread...

Last edited by catsmate; 22nd September 2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:51 AM   #52
catsmate
No longer the 1

I should include this detail in my next video.
It'll about as relevant as your other assertions.
Old 22nd September 2016, 04:27 AM   #53
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Great.

With regards to your experience working around or in the helicopters, what is your opinion on how high a helicopter would need to be to

A - not cause a problem with buffeting its load around

B - not disturb water it was over

C- not blow peoples clothes and dust etc around over the place below it.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable opinion.
A. would depend on the load The closer you are to the under side while flying you have less buffeting. We would suspend a Howitzer on a 25 to 40 foot cable. trailers and trucks around 75' When hanging on a tether with three other guys we were pushed more by the wind then the down wash

B. I did not do much over water, except fly and we were usually 800' or higher

C. I never saw cloths blow off, but once in a while some one would lose their hat. A lot depends on the terrain. and also if you are landing or hovering as that is when you get the most down wash . We would hook up sling loads on black top with the bird hovering about 50' and in the field about 75'-125' there again depending on the terrain.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Colonel

You quoted a five month old post.

Jrrarglblarg and the rest of us (with the exception of those who are climbing down the rabbit hole to meet the Mad Hatter) have moved on a long way since then.
Well I am trying to catch up with you guys on this

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:33 AM   #54
steenkh
Illuminator

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
Great.

With regards to your experience working around or in the helicopters, what is your opinion on how high a helicopter would need to be to

A - not cause a problem with buffeting its load around
B - not disturb water it was over
C- not blow peoples clothes and dust etc around over the place below it.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable opinion.
A. would depend on the load The closer you are to the under side while flying you have less buffeting. We would suspend a Howitzer on a 25 to 40 foot cable. trailers and trucks around 75' When hanging on a tether with three other guys we were pushed more by the wind then the down wash

B. I did not do much over water, except fly and we were usually 800' or higher

C. I never saw cloths blow off, but once in a while some one would lose their hat. A lot depends on the terrain. and also if you are landing or hovering as that is when you get the most down wash . We would hook up sling loads on black top with the bird hovering about 50' and in the field about 75'-125' there again depending on the terrain.
Thanks.

espee seems to value your experience with helicopters, so perhaps you can tell us how much you have worked with invisible helicopters? I mean the kind that can hold a man suspended with a cable, and everyone of hundreds of spectators are only looking at the man, and not at the chopper carrying him. None of the people who have published a video of the event have tried to catch the chopper above. It is as if it is invisible, or so high above that nobody notices.

Would that in your experience be likely?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:35 AM   #55
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Also have you considered aliens ? In the end it's always the aliens, one way or the other ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:03 AM   #56
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What would it take to convince you it was real?
Short of it landing in his driveway and giving him a lift to the post office, No

Everyone is seemingly in on the con, including Guinness World Records amongst many others.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:30 AM   #57
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Thanks.

espee seems to value your experience with helicopters, so perhaps you can tell us how much you have worked with invisible helicopters? I mean the kind that can hold a man suspended with a cable, and everyone of hundreds of spectators are only looking at the man, and not at the chopper carrying him. None of the people who have published a video of the event have tried to catch the chopper above. It is as if it is invisible, or so high above that nobody notices.

Would that in your experience be likely?
Sorry only the people at area 51 skunk works get to play with the invisible ones and I was never at area 51.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:32 AM   #58
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Everyone is seemingly in on the con, including Guinness World Records amongst many others.
Esspee still hasn't bothered coming back with why the Guinness quote is somehow suspicious...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:43 AM   #59
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yes, I did see that long post that you deleted. It was quite enlightening as you explained your true personal motivation to declare this a hoax. It was rather shocking to say the least.
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:54 AM   #60
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
Sorry only the people at area 51 skunk works get to play with the invisible ones and I was never at area 51.
That's just what you want us to think.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:58 AM   #61
Tolls
Illuminator

Yes, I did see that long post that you deleted. It was quite enlightening as you explained your true personal motivation to declare this a hoax. It was rather shocking to say the least.
Ohhhhhh...what'd he say!
What'd he say!

tellmetellmetellme!!!

Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:39 AM   #62
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Ohhhhhh...what'd he say!
What'd he say!

tellmetellmetellme!!!

I think he decided to delete it because it distilled his position to being pure emotion without any real rational or factual basis. For me, it explained his nonsensical and grasping-at-every-straw approach to this whole hoax theory.

I'll let him tell you exactly what it said.
Old 22nd September 2016, 04:17 PM   #63
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
That's just what you want us to think.
No it's true.
I was never at Area 51 either and never saw him at any of the meetings.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:10 PM   #64
smartcooky
Philosopher

I think he decided to delete it because it distilled his position to being pure emotion without any real rational or factual basis. For me, it explained his nonsensical and grasping-at-every-straw approach to this whole hoax theory.
Well, this isn't news.

Most of us tumbled to this shortly after he first posted.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 01:06 PM   #65
esspee
black goo

At the start of this video we get a real good look at the device.

The closest look so far.
CHeck it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQzLrvz4DKQ
esspee is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 01:57 PM   #66
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

The closest look so far.
CHeck it out.

No sign of any harness. No sign of any cable. No sign of any helicopter; just a drone recording the event over the lake...
Not looking good for you, esspee
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 02:24 PM   #67
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
No sign of any harness. No sign of any cable. No sign of any helicopter; just a drone recording the event over the lake...
Not looking good for you, esspee
I think the main thing that is not looking good for me is simply the sheer VOLUME of footage.

No footage by itself proves anything.

But what we have here is rather large volume of footage.

As in a couple of hours worth if you added each unique clip back to back. (I know, as I have watched them all)

Also, the recent 'observer' footage from the newer sightings is not the suspect 240p footage we saw early on in this story. NOw its mostly HD which is how it should be if this is real.

So that is also not looking good for my position either.

I'm still looking for third party footage from the Barcelona event however. We can see a lot of people in that video literally with their phones out.
And the lack of news coverage is still highly odd - no matter how much footage is out there.

Would like to see some more angles of that Barcelona display. Other than the very very very small less than a handful that have appeared so far.

Last edited by esspee; 23rd September 2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 23rd September 2016, 02:30 PM   #68
The Greater Fool
Master Poster

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

The closest look so far.
CHeck it out.

At 4:45 the drone(?) recording from above almost straight down would have either caught a supporting helicopter, or been buffeted by same. Either way, it would have prevented the nice, clear, stable shot with which we were treated.

So, esspee, what is the current evaluation of your level of suspicion? 100% hoax? 100% awesome truth?
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:51 PM   #69
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
At 4:45 the drone(?) recording from above almost straight down would have either caught a supporting helicopter, or been buffeted by same. Either way, it would have prevented the nice, clear, stable shot with which we were treated.

So, esspee, what is the current evaluation of your level of suspicion? 100% hoax? 100% awesome truth?

My current % is 80% hoax 20% real.

I would still bet good money on a 50/50 bet.

( if i had any good money handy right now)
Old 23rd September 2016, 05:37 PM   #70
smartcooky
Philosopher

The closest look so far.
CHeck it out.

Right there at 0:40 - 0:41 we get a brief glimpse of the thrust vectoring nozzles on one of the side turbines being checked for operation.
Old 23rd September 2016, 06:19 PM   #71
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

That video is cool as hell.
It seems that he uses twist of the control handle to control the yaw - check 5:35. Or after he lands, he twists it and makes sure the board does not react anymore.
That's what I'm now sure the side vectored nozzles are for. The pitch and banks seem to be controlled simply by legs and body balance.
Also note how big the fuel bag is this time. It's easily 20 liters.

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 23rd September 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 06:37 PM   #72
mike81
Critical Thinker

My current % is 80% hoax 20% real.

I would still bet good money on a 50/50 bet.

( if i had any good money handy right now)
Certainly you are just trolling or just in deep deep denial.

Why again would Guinness World Records risk their reputation?

Where is this helicopter that you claim he is dangling from?

Why doesn't this helicopter disturb the water?
mike81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:02 PM   #73
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by mike81 View Post
Certainly you are just trolling or just in deep deep denial.

Why again would Guinness World Records risk their reputation?

Where is this helicopter that you claim he is dangling from?

Why doesn't this helicopter disturb the water?
Its not what makes sense about this story that bothers me, its the things that do not make sense.

p.s. Someone in my youtube comment section said "doubling down is not part of critical thinking".
In response I uploaded a new video. Enjoy

Flyboard Air Hoax #4 - training over concrete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y0sxFkN2Eg
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:03 PM   #74
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
That video is cool as hell.
It seems that he uses twist of the control handle to control the yaw - check 5:35. Or after he lands, he twists it and makes sure the board does not react anymore.
That's what I'm now sure the side vectored nozzles are for. The pitch and banks seem to be controlled simply by legs and body balance.
Also note how big the fuel bag is this time. It's easily 20 liters.

Real or not real, one thing we can agree on is that that video is cool as f
Old 26th September 2016, 03:12 AM   #75
Tolls
Illuminator

Its not what makes sense about this story that bothers me, its the things that do not make sense.
You're focussing on trivia (because that's all you've got) and ignoring the implications of a hoax. And again, I bring up Guinness.
Old 27th September 2016, 01:01 AM   #76
EHocking
Philosopher

...And again, I bring up Guinness.
I suggest you stop after the 8th pint then.
Old 27th September 2016, 06:11 AM   #77
3point14
Pi

Oh it's DDWFTTW all over again.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2016, 06:26 AM   #78
Tolls
Illuminator

DDWFTTW?

I filled the blanks with all the swear words I could think of and, apart from making me chuckle, I don't think I figured out what that stands for.
Old 27th September 2016, 06:41 AM   #79
3point14
Pi

DDWFTTW?

I filled the blanks with all the swear words I could think of and, apart from making me chuckle, I don't think I figured out what that stands for.

When I first joined this forum there was an epic thread regarding whether it was possible to build a wind powered vehicle that went Directly Downwind Faster Than The Wind.

As it turned out, it was. After this had been proven to the satisfaction of everyone sane, there was one dissenting voice insisting that it was a scam, despite there being several videos of the feat actually being achieved.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2016, 07:01 AM   #80
Tolls
Illuminator

Ohhhhh!

I think that one was linked to last week (or maybe the week before).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories