ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito , sexism issues

Closed Thread
Old 16th April 2017, 12:04 PM   #201
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,444
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That does not answer


That is not an explanation and you know it. Why was she not called back to counter Gino's testimony which was supported by the introduction of the SAL cards? There is no logical or credible reason that, if what Gino had said was untrue, why Stefanoni would not have been recalled to counter it. Your inability to admit this is mind-boggling, but unsurprising.
Exactly. This one is an either/or. Itsone or the other.

The fact that the prosecutor did not bring Stefanoni back to "prove" that Gino was wrong speaks volumes as to the confidence even they had in Stefanoni.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 12:27 PM   #202
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
Exactly. This one is an either/or. Itsone or the other.

The fact that the prosecutor did not bring Stefanoni back to "prove" that Gino was wrong speaks volumes as to the confidence even they had in Stefanoni.
The failure to recall Stefanoni is also evidence that the "negative" results were not merely "default settings" as Vixen claimed earlier. If that were true and there were no actual TMB negative results, the prosecution would most certainly counter Gino with that information. To claim otherwise is just wilful blindness.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 02:11 PM   #203
Numbers
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,908
Originally Posted by toto View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked (or answered)but do we know how much money Trump donated , if at all? My understanding about Trump is that he is not actually that generous with his charitable donations.
A contribution or gift to an individual person from another individual, even if for a purpose such as a legal defense fund, is not considered a charitable contribution or donation under the US federal tax code, and does not constitute a tax-deductible contribution. To be tax-deductible for federal income tax, contributions must be given to recognized charitable organizations, for example, the Red Cross. In fact, if the gift to an individual is greater than an amount set by law, currently $14,000, there is a "gift tax" on the amount.

It's difficult to understand what legal issue the PGP have with Trump making such a gift (if in fact he made it). The idea of there being a "moral issue" regarding Trump's alleged capital losses (which probably would have been in the millions to be a multiyear carryover, and considering the scope of his enterprises) and the alleged gift to Knox is particularly absurd.

"If your capital losses exceed your capital gains, the amount of the excess loss that you can claim on line 13 of Form 1040 to lower your income is the lesser of $3,000, ($1,500 if married filing separately) or your total net loss shown on line 16 of the Form 1040, Schedule D (PDF). If your net capital loss is more than this limit, you can carry the loss forward to later years."

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html

Last edited by Numbers; 16th April 2017 at 02:35 PM.
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 04:04 PM   #204
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
A contribution or gift to an individual person from another individual, even if for a purpose such as a legal defense fund, is not considered a charitable contribution or donation under the US federal tax code, and does not constitute a tax-deductible contribution. To be tax-deductible for federal income tax, contributions must be given to recognized charitable organizations, for example, the Red Cross. In fact, if the gift to an individual is greater than an amount set by law, currently $14,000, there is a "gift tax" on the amount.

It's difficult to understand what legal issue the PGP have with Trump making such a gift (if in fact he made it). The idea of there being a "moral issue" regarding Trump's alleged capital losses (which probably would have been in the millions to be a multiyear carryover, and considering the scope of his enterprises) and the alleged gift to Knox is particularly absurd.

"If your capital losses exceed your capital gains, the amount of the excess loss that you can claim on line 13 of Form 1040 to lower your income is the lesser of $3,000, ($1,500 if married filing separately) or your total net loss shown on line 16 of the Form 1040, Schedule D (PDF). If your net capital loss is more than this limit, you can carry the loss forward to later years."

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html
I find it amusing and absurd that Knox is being criticized for taking Trump's monetary gift years before it was known that he had not paid federal taxes or revealed his questionable "morality". These only became public knowledge after Knox was acquitted in 2015.

I suspect that, if Knox had indeed voted for Trump because of his gift, we'd being hearing how immoral she is for "selling" her vote.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th April 2017, 04:36 PM   #205
Numbers
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,908
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I find it amusing and absurd that Knox is being criticized for taking Trump's monetary gift years before it was known that he had not paid federal taxes or revealed his questionable "morality". These only became public knowledge after Knox was acquitted in 2015.

I suspect that, if Knox had indeed voted for Trump because of his gift, we'd being hearing how immoral she is for "selling" her vote.
I think that Knox publicly disagreeing with Trump's policies or behaviors, or indicating she did not vote for him, even though he had publicly voiced support for her innocence (in a way clearly disproportionate to the issues and likely to harm her cause, by suggesting a boycott of Italian exports, IIRC), actually shows her strength of character and integrity.
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 05:10 AM   #206
ctb1234
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: London
Posts: 3
Finally managed to register on internationalskeptics after following this case for many years. I maybe new to this site, but i am not new to this case.

This latest attack on Amandas character is nothing different than the string of other attacks that we have seen over the past few years. Pro-guilters cannot get over the fact that Ms Knox was found not guilty of killing Meredith Kercher. Sites such as TJMK and the guilter trolls have to find something new to talk about. This case is over, its been proven without doubt that no evidence ever existed that proves the guilt of Ms Knox or Mr Sollecito. The remnants of the hater crowd are desperate and frustrated. This brings me great joy! could not happen to nastier people.
ctb1234 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 05:21 AM   #207
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
I think that Knox publicly disagreeing with Trump's policies or behaviors, or indicating she did not vote for him, even though he had publicly voiced support for her innocence (in a way clearly disproportionate to the issues and likely to harm her cause, by suggesting a boycott of Italian exports, IIRC), actually shows her strength of character and integrity.
Disagree. If you take charity from somebody, it is poor show to laugh in their face afterwards.

I guess this episode highlights the character of both Trump and Knox.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 06:12 AM   #208
toto
Muse
 
toto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Disagree. If you take charity from somebody, it is poor show to laugh in their face afterwards.

I guess this episode highlights the character of both Trump and Knox.
I thought we had not ascertained how much, if any money, Trump had contributed. Without the facts, speculation is somewhat pointless. Should AK be especially positive to Trump on the donation say of $100? Again I say, the evidence is that Trump is quite stingy with his charitable giving. I believe his Trump Foundation doles out mainly other people's money. I doubt if there is any proof that AK "laughed in Trump's face". I expect many people who have been friendly or worked with Trump on , say, The Apprentice, do not approve of him as president. Trump may have some good instincts sometimes, although he seems quite contradictory depending on who is holding sway on him at any particular moment. I suspect most of AK's political views are quite liberal: I believe she supported Obama, so it's not surprising Trump as president is not to her taste. If Trump contributed to her defence fund then it might have been polite to thank him, but do we know she didn't? And yet again no one has given a figure of this alleged donation.
__________________
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. Samuel Beckett
toto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 06:45 AM   #209
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by toto View Post
I thought we had not ascertained how much, if any money, Trump had contributed. Without the facts, speculation is somewhat pointless. Should AK be especially positive to Trump on the donation say of $100? Again I say, the evidence is that Trump is quite stingy with his charitable giving. I believe his Trump Foundation doles out mainly other people's money. I doubt if there is any proof that AK "laughed in Trump's face". I expect many people who have been friendly or worked with Trump on , say, The Apprentice, do not approve of him as president. Trump may have some good instincts sometimes, although he seems quite contradictory depending on who is holding sway on him at any particular moment. I suspect most of AK's political views are quite liberal: I believe she supported Obama, so it's not surprising Trump as president is not to her taste. If Trump contributed to her defence fund then it might have been polite to thank him, but do we know she didn't? And yet again no one has given a figure of this alleged donation.

Trump is not a fool. He has been around a long time. He knows legal fees do not amount to $100.


Amanda's attorney Dalla Vedova is involved in huge construction legal issues and has been linked to a mafia-related scandal regarding the building of a bridge legal case. (Trump made his millions in the construction industry.)

Amanda made it plain by her article that she was publicly humiliating him.

She could easily have stated her plan to vote Democrats without bringing in his kind donation to her. (Do felons get a vote in the US?)

Trump oversaw a large amount of fundraising activity when he headed the Celebrity Apprentice USA. I enjoyed that programme and thought Trump a very fair person in whom he fired and in whom he declared winner.

Some of the events raised >$500K, so it will not have been a small sum donated to 'free Amanda Knox'.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11

Last edited by Vixen; 17th April 2017 at 06:48 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 07:36 AM   #210
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,444
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Amanda made it plain by her article that she was publicly humiliating him.
"Made it plain", "humiliate"? It is perhaps pointless to ask for a citation on this....

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
She could easily have stated her plan to vote Democrats without bringing in his kind donation to her. (Do felons get a vote in the US?)
As proven to you when you claimed American felons were not allowed into Canada, she's not a felon. Yet you continue to repeat it. Also at the time of his donation, whatever sum it was, he was probably a Democrat.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Some of the events raised >$500K, so it will not have been a small sum donated to 'free Amanda Knox'.
Why? On what possible basis would you know any of this?
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:06 AM   #211
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
"Made it plain", "humiliate"? It is perhaps pointless to ask for a citation on this....


As proven to you when you claimed American felons were not allowed into Canada, she's not a felon. Yet you continue to repeat it. Also at the time of his donation, whatever sum it was, he was probably a Democrat.


Why? On what possible basis would you know any of this?
Do keep up! Trump's publicist, Lombardi, has been on about this for days now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7686436.html


In any case, I don't believe Amanda did vote. Her article grandstanding for Hillary did not need to belittle the Donald's kind help towards her and her family.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:07 AM   #212
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Disagree. If you take charity from somebody, it is poor show to laugh in their face afterwards.

I guess this episode highlights the character of both Trump and Knox.
OK, I had every intention of not wasting time on this pointless conversation but...

Trump has not said anything publicly about Amanda not voting for him and I seriously doubt the guy who won is giving it a moment's thought that someone voted against him. At most he perhaps made some off-the-cuff comment about having donated to her cause and not getting her vote. It's irrelevant.

Amanda was not laughing in Trumps face.. this is just more of your crazy characterizations you do with everything related to her. She made her political position known as many, many other people have done. There is no linkage between Trump donating to her defense fund and Amanda's vote. Totally unrelated.

The only character being highlighted in this pointless conversation is you, Vixen. It's proving how you can make anything into a negative when it comes to Amanda. Give it a rest.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:15 AM   #213
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Do keep up! Trump's publicist, Lombardi, has been on about this for days now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7686436.html


In any case, I don't believe Amanda did vote. Her article grandstanding for Hillary did not need to belittle the Donald's kind help towards her and her family.
Lombardi is NOT Trump's publicist and he made ONE comment. It's the media that has been on about it for days now.

Why would you think Amanda didn't vote? Legally she was free to vote and she obviously has some strong opinions. Unless you can provide a cite for her not voting it would seem this is just more negative speculation on your part.

She did not belittle Trump, she expressed her political and social opinions about him as millions of other people have.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:22 AM   #214
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,859
I have it on very good authority that Knox actually went to Trump's Palm Beach compound not long before the 2016 election, killed two of his dogs, urinated on his driveway and pinned an A3-size poster to his gate stating in explicit rage-filled terms how much she hated him and wished great harm to come to him and his family.

(So long as we're making stuff up here......... )
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:24 AM   #215
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Vixen,

Is delving into Amanda's political beliefs yet another tactic to avoid dealing with difficult questions. You've still not answered Stacy's questions nor have you addressed the points I made to you. It's obvious you can't answer them yet you refuse to be honest enough to admit it.

Funny how the pro-guilt side has never been able to pose a question to the pro-innocent side that can't be answered by facts, science and evidence yet so many questions from the pro-innocent side go unanswered or are answered by speculation and assumption. It's precisely why both Hellmann and Marasca courts declared them not guilty - because when you deal with the evidence, stick to the facts and accept what the science tells you there can be no other verdict.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:30 AM   #216
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
Lombardi is NOT Trump's publicist and he made ONE comment. It's the media that has been on about it for days now.

Why would you think Amanda didn't vote? Legally she was free to vote and she obviously has some strong opinions. Unless you can provide a cite for her not voting it would seem this is just more negative speculation on your part.

She did not belittle Trump, she expressed her political and social opinions about him as millions of other people have.
From the INDEPENDENT

Quote:
Mr Lombardi, 66, has been described as Mr Trump’s “go-between” with European populist, far-right political figures such as Marine Le Pen and members of Austria’s Freedom Party.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:49 AM   #217
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
OK, I had every intention of not wasting time on this pointless conversation but...

Trump has not said anything publicly about Amanda not voting for him and I seriously doubt the guy who won is giving it a moment's thought that someone voted against him. At most he perhaps made some off-the-cuff comment about having donated to her cause and not getting her vote. It's irrelevant.

Amanda was not laughing in Trumps face.. this is just more of your crazy characterizations you do with everything related to her. She made her political position known as many, many other people have done. There is no linkage between Trump donating to her defense fund and Amanda's vote. Totally unrelated.

The only character being highlighted in this pointless conversation is you, Vixen. It's proving how you can make anything into a negative when it comes to Amanda. Give it a rest.

One of her own supporters writes:

Quote:
Even though she disagrees with his politics, Knox might have found it in her heart not to attack someone who, as she lay in the loneliness of her prison cell, took up her cause, the cause of a person he had never met. Instead, she attributes racist motives to his compassion. She fails to see, she has not enough imagination to see that her perceptions of him have been shaped and distorted by the global political and economic elite and their media, that same media that unceasingly vilified her as a bloodthirsty, nymphomaniacal witch.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 08:59 AM   #218
Samzilla
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think this was filed in February as it was reported by ANSA just today.

Love the "normal person" spin.

I'd think a person who was really guilty but who literally got away with murder would want to slide into anonymity and get on with their life away from the limelight. An innocent person would be more likely to continue fighting the injustice despite the attention it brings.
So one would think...but then look at the Anthony Porter civil case.
Samzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:17 AM   #219
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
One of her own supporters writes:
Why in the world would I care what one of her supports, whatever and whoever that might be, thinks? Do you have a source for this comment?

She has the right, as millions of other people have, to express her opinions. Do you think she is obligated to not express her opinions because he believed she was innocent and donated funds to her defense?

I seriously doubt anyone stupid enough to write "She fails to see, she has not enough imagination to see that her perceptions of him have been shaped and distorted by the global political and economic elite and their media" is a "supporter". Does this person think Amanda is incapable of forming her own opinions of Trump based on information available?

Seriously, this is just a dumb comment. Amanda is beholden to no one and has just as much right as anyone to express her opinions. She was not unfair to Trump, and she provided clear and concise reasons for having those opinions.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:18 AM   #220
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
From the INDEPENDENT
And...??? You claimed he was Trump's publicist. He is not. It's really not that difficult.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #221
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
Why in the world would I care what one of her supports, whatever and whoever that might be, thinks? Do you have a source for this comment?

She has the right, as millions of other people have, to express her opinions. Do you think she is obligated to not express her opinions because he believed she was innocent and donated funds to her defense?

I seriously doubt anyone stupid enough to write "She fails to see, she has not enough imagination to see that her perceptions of him have been shaped and distorted by the global political and economic elite and their media" is a "supporter". Does this person think Amanda is incapable of forming her own opinions of Trump based on information available?

Seriously, this is just a dumb comment. Amanda is beholden to no one and has just as much right as anyone to express her opinions. She was not unfair to Trump, and she provided clear and concise reasons for having those opinions.

It's from a comment below her article in West Seattle Herald calling Trump a racist for supporting her.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #222
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,444
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Do keep up! Trump's publicist, Lombardi, has been on about this for days now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7686436.html


In any case, I don't believe Amanda did vote. Her article grandstanding for Hillary did not need to belittle the Donald's kind help towards her and her family.
As usual, I got suckered into clicking on your link.

As usual it did not address any of what you'd claimed. It wasn't even a "publicist" as you claimed. Unless you're now going to argue that "upset" is the same as "humiliated". Have at it!
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:44 AM   #223
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm really not sure what standard you're talking about. Poverty perhaps?

I am talking about ethical standards. It's understanding that 'personal is political'.

If a drug dealer were to ask you to take $'000's and you take it because, as you say, 'Heck, it wasn't me that misearned it', then you are simply encouraging him to carry on enticing the kids in your neighbourhood to become addicted and reliant on him and his ilk. In other words, by supporting money-laundering (or bribery, stolen goods, ill-gotten gains trading on another's misery) you are directly or indirectly bringing misery and ruin on the lives of those kids, who turn to burglary and mugging to support their habit, which you have supported by taking the drug dealer's excess funds off him, as he cannot deposit it in a bank without raising suspicion.

Likewise, Amanada accepting a substantial sum - it's reasonable to believe this is so - towards her legal fees and then denouncing her benefactor being someone she despises makes her someone who has no prinicples and who behaves shabbily towards that kind person who took the trouble to help her and her family to get her out of jail.

Poverty? Yes, better to be poor and sleep well, than take money you consider dirty and have it on your conscience (or probably not).

I am privileged, but it is not money I value; I have fields and forest and beautiful heart-aching landscape. As the Don Williams' song says,

'I am just a country boy, money have I none
Oh, but I've got silver in the stars
And gold in the morning sun'.

You can have principles about what money you accept and where you shop and what you buy and whom you vote for.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11

Last edited by Vixen; 17th April 2017 at 09:45 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:47 AM   #224
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
So one would think...but then look at the Anthony Porter civil case.
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison. The only thing Porter was looking to do is make money.

I think the point of the original comment was that guilty people won't make themselves public figures for the sole purpose of defending their innocence and restoring their name. If they're guilty of the crime then they know there is too much risk of it backfiring on them so they would tend to keep a low profile.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:48 AM   #225
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
From the INDEPENDENT
Quote:
Mr Lombardi, 66, has been described as Mr Trump’s “go-between” with European populist, far-right political figures such as Marine Le Pen and members of Austria’s Freedom Party.
Yes, by himself! From the New York Times:

Quote:
With a deep suspicion of Islam, open borders and the European Union, Mr. Lombardi, 66, considers himself a bridge to Mr. Trump for his old friends and ideological allies in Europe, including Marine Le Pen of France, Geert Wilders of the Netherlands, Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary and Beppe Grillo, the co-founder of Italy’s insurgent Five Star Movement — “the Trump of Italy,” as Mr. Lombardi calls him.
Lombardi is a far right anti-Muslim, anti-EU extremist who admires and supports extremist European politicians:

Quote:
He envisions the Russian leader, Vladimir V. Putin, as the champion of the spiritual descendants of World War II resistance fighters. “Le Pen, Geert, Lega, Grillo, all the resistance is fighting the Nazi Islamists,” he said. “Of course, Ms. Merkel — You are Jewish, aren’t you? Come on! She’s the one who brought in all these Muslims more than anybody else. Why? Because they never lost their bad habits.”
(NY Times)

As far as being Trump's "go-between" Lombardi's own description of his involvement is Trump asking him about Silvio Berlusconi and Knox:

Quote:
Despite his increased visibility on Italian television, Mr. Lombardi cuts a low profile in Italy. But he said Mr. Trump has leaned on his Italian expertise, inquiring once about Silvio Berlusconi, the former prime minister, because, Mr. Lombardi said, Mr. Trump was intrigued by a “billionaire who became a politician.” Mr. Lombardi said on a panel in the Italian Parliament last year that Mr. Trump invited Mr. Berlusconi to America last Christmas, but received no reply.

When it came to Italy, though, Mr. Trump’s interest centered on showing the innocence of Amanda Knox, an American college student accused of murder in Perugia. Mr. Trump often spoke out and posted on Twitter in support of Ms. Knox, and asked Mr. Lombardi to look into her case during a trip to Italy. Now, Mr. Lombardi said, the president is “very upset” with the ingratitude of Ms. Knox, who supported Hillary Clinton.
Read the rest of the article and what you'll see is someone who bears a very strong resemblance to Trump: egotistical, narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, and in need of attention. (Count of Canevaro, indeed! Ha!) He is trying to ride on Trump's coattails as his own website declares that "He is now available for media interviews and speeches to business & political groups in the United States."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/w...-pen.html?_r=0
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 09:49 AM   #226
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's from a comment below her article in West Seattle Herald calling Trump a racist for supporting her.
How does that make the poster a supporter of Amanda's? Anyone who is going to imply Amanda isn't capable of forming her own informed opinions of someone like Trump and can only be parroting what the media has said is hardly a supporter.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:00 AM   #227
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
How does that make the poster a supporter of Amanda's? Anyone who is going to imply Amanda isn't capable of forming her own informed opinions of someone like Trump and can only be parroting what the media has said is hardly a supporter.
Only supporters are allowed to comment on her 'articles'.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:02 AM   #228
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, by himself! From the New York Times:



Lombardi is a far right anti-Muslim, anti-EU extremist who admires and supports extremist European politicians:

(NY Times)

As far as being Trump's "go-between" Lombardi's own description of his involvement is Trump asking him about Silvio Berlusconi and Knox:



Read the rest of the article and what you'll see is someone who bears a very strong resemblance to Trump: egotistical, narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, and in need of attention. (Count of Canevaro, indeed! Ha!) He is trying to ride on Trump's coattails as his own website declares that "He is now available for media interviews and speeches to business & political groups in the United States."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/w...-pen.html?_r=0


He is very effective at PR and fake news as the Trump incident happened FIVE MONTHS ago.

(As I said.)


I reported it at the time. Now the stragglers are jumping on the bandwagon.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #229
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am talking about ethical standards. It's understanding that 'personal is political'.

If a drug dealer were to ask you to take $'000's and you take it because, as you say, 'Heck, it wasn't me that misearned it', then you are simply encouraging him to carry on enticing the kids in your neighbourhood to become addicted and reliant on him and his ilk. In other words, by supporting money-laundering (or bribery, stolen goods, ill-gotten gains trading on another's misery) you are directly or indirectly bringing misery and ruin on the lives of those kids, who turn to burglary and mugging to support their habit, which you have supported by taking the drug dealer's excess funds off him, as he cannot deposit it in a bank without raising suspicion.

Likewise, Amanada accepting a substantial sum - it's reasonable to believe this is so - towards her legal fees and then denouncing her benefactor being someone she despises makes her someone who has no prinicples and who behaves shabbily towards that kind person who took the trouble to help her and her family to get her out of jail.

Poverty? Yes, better to be poor and sleep well, than take money you consider dirty and have it on your conscience (or probably not).

I am privileged, but it is not money I value; I have fields and forest and beautiful heart-aching landscape. As the Don Williams' song says,

'I am just a country boy, money have I none
Oh, but I've got silver in the stars
And gold in the morning sun'.

You can have principles about what money you accept and where you shop and what you buy and whom you vote for.
I'm guessing you really don't see the hateful bias that invades every one of your posts.

First of all, Trump's money is not ill begot. He's not the evil drug lord type character you're trying to portray. So accepting a donation from Trump is not tantamount to accepting a donation from some drug lord. It's a bogus argument you're trying to make.

Secondly, you have no idea when Amanda became aware of Trump's political and social opinions. I certainly had no idea until he decided to run for office. So perhaps when she received the donation she had no opinion's of Trump and since then, as he became President and we all learned a lot more of where he stands on numerous issues, she has developed one. I'm sure his take on the Central Park Five took on entirely new meaning to her because of her own experiences but I seriously doubt she knew anything about that at the time she received the donation.

Finally, Amanda disagrees with Trump on political and social issues. The does not mean she thinks Trump's wealth is "dirty" money. That just something you've conjured up.

The simple fact is you just can't accept anything Amanda does without looking for the worst possible spin you can put on it.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:06 AM   #230
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am talking about ethical standards. It's understanding that 'personal is political'.

If a drug dealer were to ask you to take $'000's and you take it because, as you say, 'Heck, it wasn't me that misearned it', then you are simply encouraging him to carry on enticing the kids in your neighbourhood to become addicted and reliant on him and his ilk. In other words, by supporting money-laundering (or bribery, stolen goods, ill-gotten gains trading on another's misery) you are directly or indirectly bringing misery and ruin on the lives of those kids, who turn to burglary and mugging to support their habit, which you have supported by taking the drug dealer's excess funds off him, as he cannot deposit it in a bank without raising suspicion.

Likewise, Amanada accepting a substantial sum - it's reasonable to believe this is so - towards her legal fees and then denouncing her benefactor being someone she despises makes her someone who has no prinicples and who behaves shabbily towards that kind person who took the trouble to help her and her family to get her out of jail.

Poverty? Yes, better to be poor and sleep well, than take money you consider dirty and have it on your conscience (or probably not).

I am privileged, but it is not money I value; I have fields and forest and beautiful heart-aching landscape. As the Don Williams' song says,

'I am just a country boy, money have I none
Oh, but I've got silver in the stars
And gold in the morning sun'.

You can have principles about what money you accept and where you shop and what you buy and whom you vote for.
Oh, good lord. I'll just ignore all that "drug dealer" nonsense.

Once again, accepting a donation to her defense fund long before Trump ran for POTUS in no way obligates Knox to vote for him. He didn't buy her vote.

Amanda Knox:

Quote:
“ Politics is not a tit-for-tat game. It’s not: I helped you, now you help me. As my friend Gavin puts it, only in Banana Republics do rich political leaders dole out favors in exchange for your silence and your vote. Tit-for-tat politics are a threat to Democracy, and it troubles me that some Trump supporters subscribe to that policy.


“ Trump’s politics concern me in a very personal way. Chris and I want to start a family in the next few years, but since Tuesday, I’ve worried that my healthcare may be in jeopardy when Obamacare is repealed. I’ve worried that Pence’s history of invasive, obstructive, and misinformed policies about women’s reproductive health will affect my options should something go wrong with a pregnancy.


“ In a time when my entire family had already tapped into their retirement savings and taken out second mortgages, we were grateful when any supporters, including Trump, donated to my defense and spoke out about my innocence. And like some of my supporters, Trump had his own ideas and his own way; he called for the U.S. to sanction Italy until they released me—a pronouncement which only amplified anti-American sentiment towards me in the courtroom. Even if Trump means well, his schemes tend to be blunt, selfish, and short-sighted, rather than nuanced, empathetic, and thought through. Back then, when the stakes were highest, my family and I couldn’t afford to be so reckless. Now, at this crucial political juncture, the U.S. has decided to take the Trump chance, and I think our choice is just as blunt, selfish, and short-sighted as Trump himself.
(KIRO 7 News)

At this point, I'm surprised some PGP posters haven't condemned Knox for the way she brushes her teeth, her choice of shampoo, and what brand of coffee she drinks. Give 'em time. It really is getting that ridiculous.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:08 AM   #231
TruthCalls
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Only supporters are allowed to comment on her 'articles'.
Was that supposed to be funny? It's certainly false.
TruthCalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:11 AM   #232
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by TruthCalls View Post
I'm guessing you really don't see the hateful bias that invades every one of your posts.

First of all, Trump's money is not ill begot. He's not the evil drug lord type character you're trying to portray. So accepting a donation from Trump is not tantamount to accepting a donation from some drug lord. It's a bogus argument you're trying to make.

Secondly, you have no idea when Amanda became aware of Trump's political and social opinions. I certainly had no idea until he decided to run for office. So perhaps when she received the donation she had no opinion's of Trump and since then, as he became President and we all learned a lot more of where he stands on numerous issues, she has developed one. I'm sure his take on the Central Park Five took on entirely new meaning to her because of her own experiences but I seriously doubt she knew anything about that at the time she received the donation.

Finally, Amanda disagrees with Trump on political and social issues. The does not mean she thinks Trump's wealth is "dirty" money. That just something you've conjured up.

The simple fact is you just can't accept anything Amanda does without looking for the worst possible spin you can put on it.
Then the correct thing to do is keep schtum.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:11 AM   #233
Welshman
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Trump is not a fool. He has been around a long time. He knows legal fees do not amount to $100.


Amanda's attorney Dalla Vedova is involved in huge construction legal issues and has been linked to a mafia-related scandal regarding the building of a bridge legal case. (Trump made his millions in the construction industry.)

Amanda made it plain by her article that she was publicly humiliating him.

She could easily have stated her plan to vote Democrats without bringing in his kind donation to her. (Do felons get a vote in the US?)

Trump oversaw a large amount of fundraising activity when he headed the Celebrity Apprentice USA. I enjoyed that programme and thought Trump a very fair person in whom he fired and in whom he declared winner.

Some of the events raised >$500K, so it will not have been a small sum donated to 'free Amanda Knox'.
Vixen has made allegations against Dalla Vedova being involved in a scandal. As Vixen has a history using falsehoods in her posts, does Vixen have evidence to support this allegation.
Welshman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:14 AM   #234
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Only supporters are allowed to comment on her 'articles'.
Sigh. Yet another claim that is simply not true. From the comment section in the "Trump" article:

Quote:
Linda Byers • 5 months ago

you are no journalist you are a spoiled brat wanting attention and I believe you did kill and got away WITH MURDER .. EXPLAINS WHY YOU THINK TRUMP IS WRONG.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:15 AM   #235
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, good lord. I'll just ignore all that "drug dealer" nonsense.

Once again, accepting a donation to her defense fund long before Trump ran for POTUS in no way obligates Knox to vote for him. He didn't buy her vote.

Amanda Knox:


(KIRO 7 News)

At this point, I'm surprised some PGP posters haven't condemned Knox for the way she brushes her teeth, her choice of shampoo, and what brand of coffee she drinks. Give 'em time. It really is getting that ridiculous.

As Amanda lives in Seattle, deep blue Democrat country, her vote would make no difference to Trump and he is not asking for her vote, or even gratitude. It is the public denouncement of his donating her money and her sneering at the fact that in her view, he only did it because he was 'racist' and caused 'anti-American sentiment' in the court room.

So don't take the money then. Or pay it back. Or have the grace not to attack him for it.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:16 AM   #236
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 10,578
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Sigh. Yet another claim that is simply not true. From the comment section in the "Trump" article:
Whoops. One slipped the net.
__________________
"Let's roll!"

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:20 AM   #237
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
He is very effective at PR and fake news as the Trump incident happened FIVE MONTHS ago.

(As I said.)


I reported it at the time. Now the stragglers are jumping on the bandwagon.
But Lombardi is not Trump's "publicist" (as you said). Like Trump, he is also very effective at PR and fake news. That's not something to be lauded for.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:26 AM   #238
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Whoops. One slipped the net.
Oh, please. There are several more that "slipped the net".

Quote:
Mark Syman • 5 months ago

She keeps repeating the same self-absorbed mistakes over and over. Amanda...you have the right to remain silent. Seems you are not able to do that. And you seem to run with the wrong crowd. Slow learner.
Quote:
Peter Henderson > BourgeoisViews • 5 months ago

Nobody's denying her "right" to stab Trump in the back. But it seems insensitive, narcissistic, ungrateful. And maybe a bad idea if Trump is the sort of guy she says he is.
Quote:
Mary Cooper • 5 months ago

As empty and laughable of an article as any of Jerry Springer show's episodes. What made you think that you should write, Amanda?
I am indifferent to Trump (or Clinton, for that matter), but, yes, you could have at least kept your mouth shut instead of pouring a bucketful of dirt onto the head of a person who did support you in your darkest hour.
You have nothing to impress with, quit writing and start reading.
Learn when to stop digging the hole.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:50 AM   #239
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
As Amanda lives in Seattle, deep blue Democrat country, her vote would make no difference to Trump and he is not asking for her vote, or even gratitude. It is the public denouncement of his donating her money and her sneering at the fact that in her view, he only did it because he was 'racist' and caused 'anti-American sentiment' in the court room.

So don't take the money then. Or pay it back. Or have the grace not to attack him for it.
But, but...I though she is a felon so couldn't vote! You're right; her vote shouldn't make a difference to Trump, but according to Lombardi (if he's to be believed), Trump was "very upset" with her. Too bad, Donald. You didn't buy her vote.


Let me ask you this:
Why would Trump continue to publicly proclaim the CP5 are guilty when semen DNA and a confession by a serial rapist completely exonerated them?

Trump has made plenty of racist remarks including that Mexican undocumented workers are "rapists" and "You have people come in and I'm not just saying Mexicans, I'm talking about people that are from all over, that are killers and rapists and they're coming to this country."

He was sued by the Federal gov't for his policy of not renting to African-Americans in one of his buildings.

Now, why would Amanda question him as to why he supported her? I'd say she has good reason.


And may I expect answers to my other questions any time soon? I can repost them for you, if that would help.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 17th April 2017 at 10:52 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 10:59 AM   #240
Stacyhs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Then the correct thing to do is keep schtum.
No, that is your opinion. I say everyone who fears what Trump is doing should have, and should still, speak out against Trump.

As I said earlier, if Knox had voted for Trump simply because he donated money to her defense, you'd be accusing her of selling her vote. There is nothing Knox can do that you will not twist against her.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.