ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Canada economy , nafta , US-Canada relations

Old 9th May 2017, 09:41 AM   #241
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Trickle Down Magic? Libertarian catechism? Voodoo Economics? 'Cuz Milton Friedman says so?
And Milton Friedman in particular said the opposite: he was a strong advocate for free trade.

He cited Hayek, and argued that tariffs were part of what paves '[the road to serfdom]'.

Last edited by blutoski; 9th May 2017 at 09:48 AM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 09:43 AM   #242
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
See why those 4 mills shouldn't be controlling the market?

Can't sell houses? A bit dramatic even for you?

Guess what happens if the houses don't sell from this tiny increase in lumber? Magically the price goes down. Guess why it goes down?
Ah. Literal Magical Thinking. I'm not sure I can offer you anything that will change your mind, then. I don't have any magical solutions, just real ones.
Old 9th May 2017, 10:08 AM   #243
logger
Philosopher

Trickle Down Magic? Libertarian catechism? Voodoo Economics? 'Cuz Milton Friedman says so?
Much more simple. The price goes down because they can't sell it, Shazam!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:14 AM   #244
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not clear on which industry he's concerned about keeping strong. If it's the logging industry and he's really interested in keeping it strong as opposed to engaging in this whole charade to appear "strong" then he's going about it an interesting way.

If he were to impose tariffs then he is baking in the inefficiencies which meant that the US lumber industry apparently couldn't compete domestically, much less internationally. Over time those inefficiencies will become even further ingrained so, like the US motor industry in the 1970s, it'll become "institutionalised" in its own domestic market, leaving it exposed to better and more efficient entrants from overseas.

This "support" for the logging industry is of course coming at a significant cost to other industries like construction, realty and finance which contribute far more to U.S. GDP than the logging industry - not to mention the US consumer who will have bear the passed on costs.

Trump isn't just robbing Peter in a misguided attempt to pay Paul, he's robbing Peter, Mandy, Eric, Diane and Bill to try to pay Paul.
China's slave labor market is a great example for you. But price uptick does actually help the markets you've mentioned. Same principle as the oil market needing an uptick.

Quote:
Evidence for the first part ?
No I'm not giving you evidence, I'm not wasting my valuable time to educate you. Trees are dying to get on the ground today!

Quote:
A man with absolutely no experience whatsoever of conducting trade negotiations between sovereign nation and pretty dubious business credentials all around.
Which is why he and every other president surrounds himself with people that do. You really don't understand that do you?

Quote:
I query whether he has indeed been tested, but more pertinently, whether he comprehensively and repeatedly flunked those tests.
Let us know when you make your first billion. I know many leftist like to put themselves on par with him, but truthfully they wouldn't make a pimple on his ass.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:15 AM   #245
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Ah. Literal Magical Thinking. I'm not sure I can offer you anything that will change your mind, then. I don't have any magical solutions, just real ones.
You disagree with the lowering of prices when products don't sell?
Old 9th May 2017, 10:26 AM   #246
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

You disagree with the lowering of prices when products don't sell?
I disagree that it's assured. Economies of scale impact pricing, too. So: lower volumes of sales can lead to increased costs, rather than reduced costs.

It depends on whether we're talking about existing versus new inventory. In the situation of increased supplier costs, the builders may forecast lower sales, and build fewer units. This will increase the per-unit cost. Alternatively, the plan could be to retain the end price, but pad it with more margin by, for example, making the units smaller, or with fewer amenities.

The point is that the end buyer gets less value, which is one way the increased costs of inputs can manifest. All costs are passed on to the final consumer in some form.
Old 9th May 2017, 10:32 AM   #247
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree that it's assured. Economies of scale impact pricing, too. So: lower volumes of sales can lead to increased costs, rather than reduced costs.

It depends on whether we're talking about existing versus new inventory. In the situation of increased supplier costs, the builders may forecast lower sales, and build fewer units. This will increase the per-unit cost. Alternatively, the plan could be to retain the end price, but pad it with more margin by, for example, making the units smaller, or with fewer amenities.

The point is that the end buyer gets less value, which is one way the increased costs of inputs can manifest. All costs are passed on to the final consumer in some form.
ETA: alternatively, the real estate developer could genuinely absorb the cost increases by maintaining their original pricepoints without reducing value... not sure why they'd choose to do that, but assuming it happens, this is another example of taking from Peter to pay Paul. Somebody's out of pocket, in this scenario the construction company. Which is why the construction companies are voicing their concerns. One industry is being asked to take a hit for another.
Old 9th May 2017, 10:46 AM   #248
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Wait, so our biggest conservative free market proponent is protectionist on one issue: logging. Wow, our logger is literally a logger. For some reason I never would have guessed that. Carry on without me.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:48 AM   #249
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Wait, so our biggest conservative free market proponent is protectionist on one issue: logging. Wow, our logger is literally a logger. For some reason I never would have guessed that. Carry on without me.
In logger's defense, i suspect he would support protectionism in any industry where the other country was dumping, as would I.

The disagreement in my view, is that Canadian softwood is not being dumped. The pricing is lower because BC has more good quality inventory, and economies of scale for production that reduce the unit cost. If there was evidence of dumping, I would support a punitive tariff too.

Last edited by blutoski; 9th May 2017 at 10:50 AM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:53 AM   #250
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

In logger's defense, i suspect he would support protectionism in any industry where the other country was dumping, as would I.

The disagreement in my view, is that Canadian softwood is not being dumped. The pricing is lower because BC has more good quality inventory, and economies of scale for production that reduce the unit cost. If there was evidence of dumping, I would support a punitive tariff too.
I guess it appears that the glasses required to see dumping in this case are peculiar to one who works in the industry.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 11:00 AM   #251
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I guess it appears that the glasses required to see dumping in this case are peculiar to one who works in the industry.
It's just incomplete information. It's true that stumpage fees are lower in BC. Meanwhile, other costs are higher. Specifically: the leasing conditions obligate the logging companies to maintain the hectares with conservation, public access, public safety, fire management, &c that add costs the American companies don't see. Overall, it's probably a bit more expensive to extract in Canada vs US.

This has been the routine findings when the complaint gets reviewed by the NAFTA boards: if the lower stumpage fees are a 'subsidy' then so are the WA and OR lowered land management obligations. Basically, neither are an actual subsidy, and the dispute dies until some politician revives it as part of his/her political theater du jour.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:07 AM   #252
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

There is this thing called the WTO (which is largely US controlled, anyways) that is the proper institution to determine if there is price dumping or not.
Trump or logger aren't in a position to tell if Canada is or not.
Old 9th May 2017, 01:54 PM   #253
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There is this thing called the WTO (which is largely US controlled, anyways) that is the proper institution to determine if there is price dumping or not.
Trump or logger aren't in a position to tell if Canada is or not.
The WTO already ruled against the US on this issue.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 02:25 PM   #254
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The WTO already ruled against the US on this issue.
Repeatedly.

But hope springs eternal, and it's always possible conditions changed and deserve a fresh review.

Also worth noting: the sort of person who thinks there's an international conspiracy to screw US workers probably assumes the WTO is in on it, so repeated exoneration probably doesn't carry weight, and may even be further confirmation of evil doings.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:53 PM   #255
logger
Philosopher

That would be great, but it's not going to happen with lumber.
Quote:
Lol, ok. I suppose this is you working on the "not assured" angle?
Quote:
All costs are passed on to the final consumer in some form.
This is what is not assured. Especially from the builders end.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #256
logger
Philosopher

ETA: alternatively, the real estate developer could genuinely absorb the cost increases by maintaining their original pricepoints without reducing value... not sure why they'd choose to do that, but assuming it happens, this is another example of taking from Peter to pay Paul. Somebody's out of pocket, in this scenario the construction company. Which is why the construction companies are voicing their concerns. One industry is being asked to take a hit for another.
Ah here we go, yes the developer and builder can take the hit, or just pass it on. Besides construction companies always bitch and moan. Every clearing job I've ever done for a builder has been negotiated down to the dollar.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:58 PM   #257
logger
Philosopher

Let me bring you up to speed. I'm for government saving our industries. Our standard of living is quite higher than the slave labor in China. Strangely I know the leftists here are black and white on everything, a clear contrast from your usual gray area leftist.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:04 PM   #258
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Much more simple. The price goes down because they can't sell it, Shazam!
You learned this in your How to Get Rich During the Coming Crisis seminars? Get your $39.95 worth? They refer to this in the housing/flipping business as "a motivated seller". Everyone knows that means "desperate to move it, even at a loss".

So you're in favor of squeezing profits or forcing losses out of the realtors and builders just as long as your vast softwood holdings make more money? As they've often said, "What's good for the timber trades is good for the USA!", right? We all have to buckle down and tighten our belts so you can get that flat screen you wanted for the rec room?

Wasn't there a song about this? Something about a handful of gimme and a mouthful of much obliged....
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 06:22 PM   #259
logger
Philosopher

You learned this in your How to Get Rich During the Coming Crisis seminars? Get your $39.95 worth? They refer to this in the housing/flipping business as "a motivated seller". Everyone knows that means "desperate to move it, even at a loss".
Sell it at a loss? Lol
So now real estate will be sold at a loss because of this small increase in lumber. Where did you take this 39.95 course? Did it include barista training?
Quote:
So you're in favor of squeezing profits or forcing losses out of the realtors and builders just as long as your vast softwood holdings make more money? As they've often said, "What's good for the timber trades is good for the USA!", right? We all have to buckle down and tighten our belts so you can get that flat screen you wanted for the rec room?
Oh yeah, with all the money builders owe me! And realtors, if I get one more call from them, I'm going to ask my buddy Trump to up the tariff. And I don't have vast softwood holdings, no money in that. Now Hardwood holdings, that is easy money.
Quote:
Wasn't there a song about this? Something about a handful of gimme and a mouthful of much obliged....
Not sure, I'm not as old as you are.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:45 PM   #260
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Sell it at a loss? Lol
So now real estate will be sold at a loss because of this small increase in lumber. Where did you take this 39.95 course? Did it include barista training?

Oh yeah, with all the money builders owe me! And realtors, if I get one more call from them, I'm going to ask my buddy Trump to up the tariff. And I don't have vast softwood holdings, no money in that. Now Hardwood holdings, that is easy money.

Not sure, I'm not as old as you are.
The point is that the houses won't be sold at a loss because those specific houses won't be built. No one's going to be building lower-middle income housing if the costs take that segment of the population (the little guys who you and the orange fungus claim to be supporting) out of the market. The builders' associations have estimated 150,000 such.

But that's okay because Weyerhauser and Georgia Pacific get the protectionism they asked for, foisted on a gullible public wrapping themselves in the flag and their share prices and dividends will be just fine. And that's what matters, right?

How are the employment figures for April in the forestry sector? Let's see how much (absent seasonal adjustment) they go up when the May figures come in. Gonna create a lot of jobs, this is.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 06:50 PM   #261
newyorkguy
Philosopher

...Oh yeah, with all the money builders owe me...
In a recent FMF thread it was stated if someone cites themselves as a source or authority that claim can be questioned. In a thread about farm loans you claimed to be a farmer. Now you're a lumber dealer.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 07:21 PM   #262
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In a recent FMF thread it was stated if someone cites themselves as a source or authority that claim can be questioned. In a thread about farm loans you claimed to be a farmer. Now you're a lumber dealer.
I'm certainly no expert on the topic (so don't have to provide my credentials ) but I know a guy what knew a guy who was a tree farmer. Christmas trees are grown on farms, for instance.

It's possible he's both.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:44 PM   #263
logger
Philosopher

I have a cattle farm and a sawmill. I have to feed that mill with the logs I cut. Is that clear for you now? I also have dry kilns and do custom millwork, oh my!
Old 9th May 2017, 07:49 PM   #264
logger
Philosopher

The point is that the houses won't be sold at a loss because those specific houses won't be built. No one's going to be building lower-middle income housing if the costs take that segment of the population (the little guys who you and the orange fungus claim to be supporting) out of the market. The builders' associations have estimated 150,000 such.
As small of an Increase as this is, there's virtually anything that could affect a persons ability to buy a house.
Quote:
But that's okay because Weyerhauser and Georgia Pacific get the protectionism they asked for, foisted on a gullible public wrapping themselves in the flag and their share prices and dividends will be just fine. And that's what matters, right?
This isn't even close to the drama you're making out of it, it's quite hilarious!
Quote:
How are the employment figures for April in the forestry sector? Let's see how much (absent seasonal adjustment) they go up when the May figures come in. Gonna create a lot of jobs, this is.
Since I don't follow the softwood market, hopefully you'll be on top of it.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:56 PM   #265
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

USA has a trade surplus with Canada.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 08:18 PM   #266
rustypouch
Philosopher

Let me bring you up to speed. I'm for government saving our industries. Our standard of living is quite higher than the slave labor in China. Strangely I know the leftists here are black and white on everything, a clear contrast from your usual gray area leftist.
Socialist.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 03:14 AM   #267
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I have a cattle farm and a sawmill. I have to feed that mill with the logs I cut. Is that clear for you now? I also have dry kilns and do custom millwork, oh my!
Your claims about US/Canada trade are based on your claim of authority because of your business experience. Presumably that claim can be challenged the same way any claim can be challenged on a skeptics board. Previously you claimed to have bought electrical gear at Home Depot to install in your garage. A few posts later the garage had turned into a barn. Now it's a sawmill.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 04:34 AM   #268
logger
Philosopher

Your claims about US/Canada trade are based on your claim of authority because of your business experience. Presumably that claim can be challenged the same way any claim can be challenged on a skeptics board. Previously you claimed to have bought electrical gear at Home Depot to install in your garage. A few posts later the garage had turned into a barn. Now it's a sawmill.
I have not based my opinions on any kind of authority, some posters here might have said that, I have not claimed it at all. I also have multiple large properties that Have many buildings, not sure why any of that matters.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:52 AM   #269
lomiller
Philosopher

You learned this in your How to Get Rich During the Coming Crisis seminars? Get your $39.95 worth?
It came from Trump U! How could it not be worth the money!

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
Socialist.
Not strictly Socialist. Communism heavily employed a planned economies and Fascist states typically employed directed economies, which may even be a little closer to what he wants.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:55 AM   #270
lomiller
Philosopher

I have not based my opinions on any kind of authority,
Iím pretty sure everyone understand that these are ideas youíve come up with yourself and not something espoused by people with actual expertise in in the field.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:11 PM   #271
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I’m pretty sure everyone understand that these are ideas you’ve come up with yourself and not something espoused by people with actual expertise in in the field.
Come up with myself? Its basic business. Cycles I've experienced many times. If you need people of authority to lead you around by the nose, I understand, I see that a lot with the left.

Not everyone is out to make the rich richer on the backs of working folks. Thank God Trump is there to look out for the little guy. Another reason your side is losing so badly.

Last edited by logger; 10th May 2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:15 PM   #272
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Come up with myself? Its basic business. Cycles I've experienced many times. If you need people of authority to lead you around by the nose, I understand, I see that a lot with the left.

Not everyone is out to make the rich richer on the backs of working folks. Thank God Trump is there to look out for the little guy. Another reason your side is losing so badly.
Please name one thing Trump has done for the little guy.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 12:37 PM   #273
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Not started nuclear war?
Old 10th May 2017, 12:47 PM   #274
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

He's told them they're winning already. Here's Trump's 2020 campaign slogan:

WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 12:52 PM   #275
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
You reap what you sew?
That is what Trumpy does not get about a trade war:The other side can fire back at you.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 12:55 PM   #276
Steve
Master Poster

Helped them understand their place in his world?
Old 10th May 2017, 01:34 PM   #277
rustypouch
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post

Not strictly Socialist. Communism heavily employed a planned economies and Fascist states typically employed directed economies, which may even be a little closer to what he wants.
Good point.
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 02:02 PM   #278
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I have not based my opinions on any kind of authority...not sure why any of that matters.
It matters because if your argument(s) are based on your experience in business -- which they are (see below) -- then to challenge the argument involves challenging your business experience.
...Its basic business. Cycles I've experienced many times...

You're not especially forthcoming. In a thread about FDA regulations I mentioned that I'd had to deal with FDA regulators when I worked for a company that manufactured over-the-counter drug products. One of the things I had to do was verify to the FDA inspector that measuring equipment we used was at all times maintained in calibration to 1.0% accuracy. He worked with me and helped me upgrade the way we kept our records. He also explained to me exactly what the FDA was looking for, and more importantly, why. It was a good experience.

I tried to be a little bit forthcoming because this is the internet. Anybody can claim anything. It's not fair to just throw out, 'I'm this and I'm that,' and expect people to accept it without question.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:02 PM   #279
logger
Philosopher

Canadian lumber tariff.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:05 PM   #280
logger
Philosopher

It matters because if your argument(s) are based on your experience in business -- which they are (see below) -- then to challenge the argument involves challenging your business experience.

You're not especially forthcoming. In a thread about FDA regulations I mentioned that I'd had to deal with FDA regulators when I worked for a company that manufactured over-the-counter drug products. One of the things I had to do was verify to the FDA inspector that measuring equipment we used was at all times maintained in calibration to 1.0% accuracy. He worked with me and helped me upgrade the way we kept our records. He also explained to me exactly what the FDA was looking for, and more importantly, why. It was a good experience.

I tried to be a little bit forthcoming because this is the internet. Anybody can claim anything. It's not fair to just throw out, 'I'm this and I'm that,' and expect people to accept it without question.
What I'm saying is quite simple, anyone can understand it. Any business experience can see what is going on here. If you want to discuss the business of felling, cutting, drying and molding lumber, I can do that all day long. This on the other hand is just two countries trying to have the best deal for their citizens.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics