ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd May 2017, 09:52 AM   #81
Nosi
Master Poster

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
This is a follow on, not a continuation of the "President Trump" thread.

Please keep the focus on issues related to the Trump Presidency (vs pre election issues). Items discussed in other threads should not to be raised here.
To those who think Trump's the bottom of the barrel; he burrowed under that barrel and kept going.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:52 AM   #82
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Donnie doesn't seem to realize: Kim Jong Un isn't a plumbing contractor from Queens that has been having delivery problems. He is a brutal dictator responsible for executing dozens of political opponents. He is an enemy of freedom and liberty.
And those are just his good qualities.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:55 AM   #83
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Why doesn't he appoint Dennis Rodman as US Ambassador to North Korea? I can't believe he hasn't even talked to the guy.
Maybe he has.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:23 AM   #84
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's not an explanation but a comment on Trump's incoherence.
So I mistook satire for a Trump apologist?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:28 AM   #85
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

And another nut-job lands an appointment: Trump Just Picked a Contraception Skeptic to Head Federal Family Planning Efforts

The sub-title suggests she was only referring to 100% protection but here's the crux of her ignorance:
Quote:
Manning has questioned the efficacy of contraception in preventing pregnancy, and also said the government shouldn't play a role in family planning—the foundational ideas behind the federal family planning program she will now be tasked with overseeing. In a 2003 radio interview, Manning noted that pro-choice advocates "promote contraception and birth control as a way to reduce the incidence of abortion. There really is no evidence to support that. In fact, the incidence of contraception use and the incidence of abortion go up hand in hand."
Anti-abortion drivel. Apparently she also claims it's been proven that abortions cause breast cancer.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:30 AM   #86
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Jeez. Thankfully I have never suffered through those shows.
They were great! Bigger ratings than the Super Bowl!
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:39 AM   #87
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Anti-abortion person to family planning, anti-EPA person to EPA, anti-education person to education, anti-american person to President of the United States of America.
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:40 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And another nut-job lands an appointment: Trump Just Picked a Contraception Skeptic to Head Federal Family Planning Efforts

The sub-title suggests she was only referring to 100% protection but here's the crux of her ignorance:Anti-abortion drivel. Apparently she also claims it's been proven that abortions cause breast cancer.
More success in destroying the government, just what you expect from republicans.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:57 AM   #89
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Speaking of nut-jobs, one sobering reality about Trump and the use of nuclear weapons is, one of his biggest backers is billionaire conservative Robert Mercer. Mercer is also funding an Oregon biochemist Arthur Robinson, who believes human urine holds the secret of extending the human lifespan The Mercer family has supplied grants that Robinson has used to acquire huge refrigerators holding over 10,000 human urine samples. Where it really gets interesting is with Robinson and Mercer's view on nuclear weapons and what influence this may have on Trump.
Quote:
[Mercer and Robinson] believe that nuclear war is really not such a big deal. It's survivable...And they've actually argued that outside of the immediate blast zone in Japan during World War II - outside of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - that the radiation was actually good for the Japanese. So they see a kind of a silver lining in nuclear war and nuclear accidents. Link

It's troubling to some because, while Robert Mercer stays behind the scenes, daughter Rebekah does not. She has become increasingly politically active in recent years and played a key role in the Trump campaign and continues to have influence in the Trump White House. Conway and Bannon are two of Rebekah Mercer's close allies.
Quote:
Rebekah Mercer helped persuade Trump to hire two key strategists on his campaign — pollster Kellyanne Conway, who served as campaign manager, and former Breitbart executive Stephen Bannon, who served as the campaign's CEO. Both sit in Trump’s inner circle at the White House. Rebekah Mercer served on the executive committee of Trump’s transition team, alongside three of his adult children, Bannon and other key advisers, including Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel. same source as above
The Mercer family are also part-owners of Breitbart News.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:29 AM   #90
chrispy
Thinker

Anyone else watching the White House press conference today? Possibly the strangest one yet... Also, just for ***** and giggles, here is a propaganda video about Trump's first hundred days (I thought he just said it was an artificial timeline, after saying he was going to MAGA in 100 days throughout his campaign). Anyhoo, extremely strange and full of what pass for "wins" in the Trump Administration... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gET1cyM-G24
and the one from the White House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBw_RhnCDZ8

Last edited by chrispy; 2nd May 2017 at 11:31 AM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:06 PM   #91
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Possibly the strangest one yet...
Until the next one?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:33 PM   #92
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Holy ****. This may the most Trump Trump has ever been. It's from the summer of 2015, but my god:

Quote:
Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:36 PM   #93
chrispy
Thinker

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Holy ****. This may the most Trump Trump has ever been. It's from the summer of 2015, but my god:
What. The. ****?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:40 PM   #94
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Stream of Unconciousness.
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:45 PM   #95
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Pinball Attention Disorder (PAD).
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:46 PM   #96
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Just a little more than 100 days into his presidency and turmoil and controversy continues to build.

Quote:
Sources: Former Acting AG Yates to contradict administration about Flynn at hearing

Washington (CNN)Former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates is prepared to testify before a Senate panel next week that she gave a forceful warning to the White House regarding then-National Security Advisor Michael Flynn nearly three weeks before he was fired, contradicting the administration's version of events, sources familiar with her account tell CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/politi...ict/index.html
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:56 PM   #97
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator

Mod InfoThese are the pages from the original "The Trump Presidency" I have been able to recover. This is not a 100% solution...but it is the best I can manage at the moment.
Posted By:Locknar
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page 1 - 2.pdf (1.79 MB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Page 13 - 20.pdf (2.00 MB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf Page 3 - 12.pdf (4.88 MB, 5 views)
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:57 PM   #98
TraneWreck
Philosopher

What. The. ****?
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Stream of Unconciousness.
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Pinball Attention Disorder (PAD).
My favorite part is, "-but you look at the nuclear deal."

Haha, that's what he was building to? Man...that was out there and people voted for him...
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:04 PM   #99
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Recently Donnie said being prez was tougher than he thought, he thought it would be easier. That he's also amazed at the sheer size of the federal government, bigger even than "big companies." Yesterday on the CBS' news show Face the Nation, he backed off a tad on how tough being POTUS is.

I couldn't believe he said that. What was tougher than being President of the United States, running the New Jersey Generals football team? But I thought Donnie topped himself for sheer nonsense when he spoke about North Korean's Kim Jong Un:

USA to rest of world: H-E-L-P!!!

As President of the United States, I have concluded after careful consideration that Trump is as sharp as a bowling ball.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:22 PM   #100
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks Locknar.

(Not a completely thankless task, then )

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:24 PM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Thanks Locknar.

(Not a completely thankless task, then )
X2
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:53 PM   #102
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

It ends!

Quote:
Trump’s Soft Spot for Strongmen Harms U.S. Image, Say Critics

Kim Jong Un of North Korea keeps as many as 200,000 of his own citizens in prison camps. But to Donald Trump, he is a "smart cookie."

Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines has bragged about killing drug dealers, and has been accused of encouraging thousands of vigilante killings. But President Trump invited him to the White House.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-image-n754036

Trump is an idiot who is harming the United States of America. Make America great again: Dump Trump!!

Last edited by skyeagle409; 2nd May 2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:35 PM   #103
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

The US military is disturbed in regard to the rhetoric of Trump and his contradictions on North Korea.
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:55 PM   #104
MuDPhuD
Muse

So I mistook satire for a Trump apologist?

Indeed
MuDPhuD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:58 PM   #105
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by MuDPhuD View Post
Indeed
Sorry, good to know.
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:15 PM   #106
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Trump unable to understand the most basic metaphor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kalebhort...52777695956992
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:17 PM   #107
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Trump unable to understand the most basic metaphor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kalebhort...52777695956992
He has to be the dumbest person to ever be president.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:26 PM   #108
chrispy
Thinker

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Didn't you read Tranewrecks quote? If he were a liberal Democrat he would be known as one of the smartest people in the world. Poor Donny, so misunderstood...and misunderestimated,too.
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:38 PM   #109
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Ryan pulled the vote, Trump has no power over that.
Ryan's side says he took the bad news to the White House and they jointly decided to not have a vote(knowing they would lose). It was Ryan's decision to make, formally, but Trump was in agreement.

Whether that's because the most recent discussion at that moment was with Ryan and most-recent-tip always wins Trump's support or because he actually thought it through? I'll leave readers to decide.

Trump's initial reaction was "Oh, yeah?? Well, I'll just go work on something I know everyone supports me on... tax reform!" Apparently the Anti-AHCA forces got his ear, though, and he's back on track to fail yet again at getting Trumpcare passed. (And not getting his tax reforms, either.) He's got to be getting tired of all the winning.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:00 PM   #110
Tony Stark
Philosopher

President Trump Was 'Directly Involved' in Hunt for Tweeter of Inauguration Crowd Photo

Quote:
President Donald Trump was "directly involved" in the quest to find the staffer from the National Park Service who retweeted a comparative photo of his inauguration crowd with that of his predecessor, former President Barack Obama.

On the day of Trump's inauguration, the official account of the National Park Service retweeted a photo showing a crowd for Obama's event, compared to a smaller crowd that had gathered for Trump's that day. The retweet was quickly taken down.

According to a report from CBS News, who cited emails about the exchange released through the Freedom of Information Act, Trump contacted acting National Park Services director Mike Reynolds about the tweet.
Precious little snowflake get his feelings hurt?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:34 PM   #111
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

I wish I had my fiddle available at the time to play Trump a little tune of sympathy.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:43 PM   #112
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

The USS Carl Vinson and Andrew Jackson fiasco, among other things such as appointing Flynn in the face of warnings, confirms that Trump is one of the dumbest presidents in US history. And, for him to say that he didn't think the job as president was that difficult underlines the fact he has no business being in the White House because he is too dumb to be president, a fact which he confirms with almost each passing day.
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:58 PM   #113
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Gawd! Imagine how this jerk threw his influence around getting people fired for minor offenses against his majesty.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:04 PM   #114
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nosi View Post
To those who think Trump's the bottom of the barrel; he burrowed under that barrel and kept going.
The way Trump is going each passing day, he won't need Air Force One to get to China. At the halfway mark of his term, he can use the same hole to get back to the White House and think how much that will save the taxpayers in fuel savings from support aircraft in addition to Air Force One that's required whenever a president travels overseas.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:11 PM   #115
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
100 days down, 1361 to go.
Um.

More like 2822 days to go.

Oh, dear.

My Senator just said, "I think it would be a good thing at this
point if the iPhone was put in a safe, locked away and maybe
returned in four years."

At this point, our only hope is him seeking higher office.
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:34 AM   #116
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Less politics, more another example of ego and a poor relationship with facts.

Trump National Golf Club has a historical marker for a Civil War battle that never happened.

Quote:
President Donald Trump was roundly mocked yesterday for the historical illiteracy evident in his Andrew Jackson quotes. Now Golf Digest is revisiting an earlier scandal involving Trump’s ignorance of the Civil War.

“Many great American soldiers, both of the North and South, died at this spot,” reads the inscription a faux historical marker on the course of the Trump National Golf Club, according to the New York Times. “The casualties were so great that the water would turn red and thus became known as ‘The River of Blood.’ ”

The battle never happened. “No. Uh-uh. No way,” Richard Gillespie, the executive director of the Mosby Heritage Area Association told the New York Times. “Nothing like that ever happened there.”

When Trump was informed by the New York Times that three different local historians had said as much, Trump replied, “How would they know that? Were they there?”

The fake historical marker on Trump’s golf course, commemorating the fallen in a battle that never happened, was signed by Donald Trump. “It is my great honor to have preserved this important section of the Potomac River!”

Yeah, how would those Ivory Tower elitists know anything about their field of expertise?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:53 AM   #117
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Speaking of nut-jobs, one sobering reality about Trump and the use of nuclear weapons is, one of his biggest backers is billionaire conservative Robert Mercer. Mercer is also funding an Oregon biochemist Arthur Robinson, who believes human urine holds the secret of extending the human lifespan The Mercer family has supplied grants that Robinson has used to acquire huge refrigerators holding over 10,000 human urine samples. Where it really gets interesting is with Robinson and Mercer's view on nuclear weapons and what influence this may have on Trump.

----
So just Howard Hughes and Nixon: The Sequel.
Old 3rd May 2017, 03:54 AM   #118
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And look how many Americans consider that a presidential statement. That is the kind of brilliant analysis that the republican party needed to win.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 03:55 AM   #119
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
The US military is disturbed in regard to the rhetoric of Trump and his contradictions on North Korea.
But they love Trump. This should fill them with the hope of all the wars he will start.
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:08 AM   #120
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And look how many Americans consider that a presidential statement. That is the kind of brilliant analysis that the republican party needed to win.
This text, more than many, make it obvious that Trump really can say whatever he wants, or shoot people in broad daylight without losing followers.

This level of devotion is just plain unsettling.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics