ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th May 2017, 09:11 AM   #201
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do we have a corruption thread? If not we need one.
I fail to see how a Trump/corruption thread would differ from a Trump catch-all.
Old 6th May 2017, 09:17 AM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I fail to see how a Trump/corruption thread would differ from a Trump catch-all.
You're right.

It is astounding, isn't it. How does the country stop this blatant mess of corruption? The POTUS appoints everyone who could investigate. I wonder how Comey hasn't been replaced yet?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 09:58 AM   #203
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Then, why are you arguing with me? If you truly know what you are talking about, you would know the process when waste and abuse are identified. As a military supervisor and later, a defense contractor supervisor, I have dealt in financially military affairs. You do not understand the specifics of what I am talking about, so don't pretend like you know what you are talking about.

You're describing an incurable situation? It can't be fixed, so let's have them buy worthless tanks and continue to be unable to account for a hundred billion at a time? Rather than fix that, you propose we just throw money at it because they an intransigent bureaucracy?

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. You may be too close to the situation to realize that something other than the trial balance needs to be ameliorated.

Your classified evidence is nothing more than anecdotal. If you can't disclose what you know, stop telling us how you know it. I'm bound by NDAs not to tell you how I know what I know, so you'll just have to accept my nearly five decades in logistics, a lot of for certain North American governments, as gospel truth, 'cuz if I was to tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 08:59 PM   #204
SezMe
post-pre-born

I am of the opinion that skyeagle409's posts on this sub-topic justify the following amendment.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You may be are too close to the situation to realize that something other than the trial balance needs to be ameliorated.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 10:38 PM   #205
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You're describing an incurable situation?

Not incurable by any means. There are programs that are in use today that have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. My pressure flapper valves, which used on the Air Force's C-5 has saved the government thousands of dollars and that is just one small example of thousands. DoD personnel can also benefit from identifying fraud, waste and abuse simply are writing a report, but those not in a position to know that are the ones who are claiming the military is basically financially fat. There have been severe cutbacks within the military that have affected military and DoD civilian personnel, which is still in effect today. That is another reason why I am supporting Trump's call to increase military spending even though I did not vote for him. I have said that he is unfit to be president, but in regard to the increase of military spending, I am all for it.

Most Military Families Expect to be Hurt by Defense Spending Cuts

https://www.debt.com/2016/military-f...spending-cuts/

Last edited by skyeagle409; 6th May 2017 at 10:49 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 11:40 PM   #206
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Not incurable by any means. There are programs that are in use today that have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. My pressure flapper valves, which used on the Air Force's C-5 has saved the government thousands of dollars and that is just one small example of thousands. DoD personnel can also benefit from identifying fraud, waste and abuse simply are writing a report, but those not in a position to know that are the ones who are claiming the military is basically financially fat. There have been severe cutbacks within the military that have affected military and DoD civilian personnel, which is still in effect today. That is another reason why I am supporting Trump's call to increase military spending even though I did not vote for him. I have said that he is unfit to be president, but in regard to the increase of military spending, I am all for it.

Most Military Families Expect to be Hurt by Defense Spending Cuts

https://www.debt.com/2016/military-f...spending-cuts/
Military families expecting to be worse off has little or nothing to do with the tens or hundreds of billions of dollars being wasted by the Pentagon.

You seem unable to grasp the fact that is possible for the military to be adequately funded and for people on the ground to be short of equipment.

For example, the UK wasted a fortune developing the Nimrod MRA4 while at the same time forcing UK forces in Afghanistan to use unarmoured "snatch" Land Rovers.

If the DOD get another few tens of billions of dollars, there's no guarantee that conditions will improve for servicemen servicewomen and instead the money will be spent on grandiose multi-billion dollar projects that serve only to line the pockets of defence contractors and their shareholders.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 12:13 PM   #207
FenerFan
Master Poster

Well, Macron beat LaPen decisively in France. I wonder if Trumpy will call to congratulate him as quickly as he called Erdoğan a few weeks ago or if he thinks Macron is a "smart cookie," too.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:49 PM   #208
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Well, Macron beat LaPen decisively in France. I wonder if Trumpy will call to congratulate him as quickly as he called Erdoğan a few weeks ago or if he thinks Macron is a "smart cookie," too.
Trump only likes leaders who are "smart" so he will probably wait to see if Macron is "smart" enough to imprison or execute his opponents.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 01:35 PM   #209
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

"Congratulations to Emmanuel Macron on his big win today as the next President of France. I look very much forward to working with him!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...00169438113793
Old 7th May 2017, 02:00 PM   #210
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Trump only likes leaders who are "smart" so he will probably wait to see if Macron is "smart" enough to imprison or execute his opponents.
No, according to Trump, winning makes you smart and successful.
Old 7th May 2017, 03:10 PM   #211
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Donnie continues to amaze.
Quote:
William Kristol of the conservative Weekly Standard told The New Yorker, “You kind of knew what you were getting in terms of some of the wackiness," but some Republicans, especially moderate Republicans, say privately they "are a little bit amazed by the lack of policy knowledge,” Kristol said. "Presidents don’t need to know the details of health-care bills and tax bills...But not even having a basic level of understanding?" He added, “Reagan may not have had a subtle grasp of everything, but he read the briefing books and he knew the arguments, basically. And Trump is not even at that level.” Link to article
Meanwhile his approval ratings, briefly up to 43%, are down a bit at 40%. Disapproval is at 54%, both as of polling done Saturday. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 03:30 PM   #212
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
If only someone had thought to warn you.
Not for me. I wrote Trump off looong ago, the first issue being torture very early on in the campaign. I said that numerous times on this forum. That didn't make Hillary the candidate of choice. This election, in the end, had no candidate I could vote for. The neocons infiltrated the Libertarians, and the the Greens just have to much in their core beliefs for me.

The second matter to me, I also wrote, as if the first were not enough, was his assertions about seizing the oil in the Middle East. Well, sure - we haven't been seizing the oil. If we take that as an objective from now on, we're just criminal gangsters.

From Trump's own book we know he stakes out some absurd opening position and in the ending "Deal" he negotiates down. Some of his politics can be explained that way. But I oppose all the World Police actions no matter who is president, let alone posing the military as a means of brazenly plundering other nations.

In the long run, he's going to regret the cavalier use of the military. That first action in Yemen proved he had too much faith in our special ops people and technology. This missile attack on Syria's airport - while eating Chocolate Cake with the Chinese President: ugh. Letting everyone know what trigger-happy royalty he is.

North Korea. Well by all means, it's exciting adding whole new countries to our successes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Somalia, etc.

I see some of his base worked up over Korea and others behind it. It's obviously a horrific dictatorship and among all police actions it would be about the least objectionable. But how about ending two wars for every new war you start like with Trump's idea on regulations?
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 06:13 PM   #213
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Donnie continues to amaze.

Meanwhile his approval ratings, briefly up to 43%, are down a bit at 40%. Disapproval is at 54%, both as of polling done Saturday. Link

Trump didn't need to know anything about policy. He was going to appoint all of the best experts as advisors. Unfortunately, "best" meant "made the biggest contributions" or "was owed favors".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 06:37 PM   #214
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
"Congratulations to Emmanuel Macron on his big win today as the next President of France. I look very much forward to working with him!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...00169438113793
I don't think Donald is looking forward to working with Macron -- not after this, anyway:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 06:56 PM   #215
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Trump is a snake oil salesman who has managed to dupe a number of people to vote for him.
Yep, but the vast majority would have voted for him anyway - simply due to the 'R' next to his name. They didn't really vote for Trump, they voted for all the things he stood for as a Republican - racism, sexism, bigotry, xenophobia, nepotism, crony capitalism, narcissism - and so far they haven't been disappointed.

Donald Trump Job Approval by Party Identification, 2017
Quote:
Republicans:
2017 Apr 24-Apr 30 87%
2017 Mar 27-Apr 2 81%
Old 7th May 2017, 07:36 PM   #216
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Yep, but the vast majority would have voted for him anyway - simply due to the 'R' next to his name. They didn't really vote for Trump, they voted for all the things he stood for as a Republican - racism, sexism, bigotry, xenophobia, nepotism, crony capitalism, narcissism - and so far they haven't been disappointed.

Donald Trump Job Approval by Party Identification, 2017
Yep, Republicans tend to have a sports team type of mentality. They don't care if their quarterback is cheating, immoral, or breaking laws, as long as they get the W.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 08:05 PM   #217
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trump didn't need to know anything about policy. He was going to appoint all of the best experts as advisors. Unfortunately, "best" meant "made the biggest contributions" or "was owed favors".
His problem is, to FTFY a statement made by one of Donnie's Manhattan boosters (Mike Francesa of WFAN sports radio):
Quote:
"He does doesn't do the work."
Reagan read the briefing books. Donnie can't be bothered.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 01:05 AM   #218
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

From a fundraising email from the "not running in 2020" John Kasich:

Clipboard01.jpg
Old 8th May 2017, 01:42 AM   #219
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Not for me. I wrote Trump off looong ago, the first issue being torture very early on in the campaign. I said that numerous times on this forum. That didn't make Hillary the candidate of choice. This election, in the end, had no candidate I could vote for. The neocons infiltrated the Libertarians, and the the Greens just have to much in their core beliefs for me.

The second matter to me, I also wrote, as if the first were not enough, was his assertions about seizing the oil in the Middle East. Well, sure - we haven't been seizing the oil. If we take that as an objective from now on, we're just criminal gangsters.

From Trump's own book we know he stakes out some absurd opening position and in the ending "Deal" he negotiates down. Some of his politics can be explained that way. But I oppose all the World Police actions no matter who is president, let alone posing the military as a means of brazenly plundering other nations.

In the long run, he's going to regret the cavalier use of the military. That first action in Yemen proved he had too much faith in our special ops people and technology. This missile attack on Syria's airport - while eating Chocolate Cake with the Chinese President: ugh. Letting everyone know what trigger-happy royalty he is.

North Korea. Well by all means, it's exciting adding whole new countries to our successes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Somalia, etc.

I see some of his base worked up over Korea and others behind it. It's obviously a horrific dictatorship and among all police actions it would be about the least objectionable. But how about ending two wars for every new war you start like with Trump's idea on regulations?
That's true, I remember clearly your position rejecting Trump's comments about torture and oil. I still had the impression you'd vote for him. I don't know you personally, so I don't know how much you'd stand on principle, but I've heard from pleeenty of Trump voters who said "I don't really like him, or the x and y things he says, but..."

Based on Trump's track history of staying true to any number of issues, it puzzles me that anyone would be surprised when the rug gets pulled.
Old 8th May 2017, 02:01 AM   #220
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If only Macron had managed a huge majority like Trump did!
Old 8th May 2017, 02:02 AM   #221
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
His problem is, to FTFY a statement made by one of Donnie's Manhattan boosters (Mike Francesa of WFAN sports radio):

Reagan read the briefing books. Donnie can't be bothered.
There is little evidence he can read. Especially without his glasses!
Old 8th May 2017, 02:03 AM   #222
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That's rather unfair, there is a third group.... People he wants to owe him a favour in the future!
Old 8th May 2017, 03:29 AM   #223
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I am not pro pork. However, there are programs that DoD personnel and contractor use to report abuses and waste, but what I am saying is that without proper equipment, safety gear and spare parts, don't expect anything to get done. There are also benefits to be gained for DoD civilians, DoD contractors and military personnel who can save the government money and I am one of the recipients of such a program.

I might add that high-tech research is not cheap, but it has paid off in the past, the present and will in the future. Case in point:

ONE BOMB KILLS 40 TANKS US Air Force CBU 105 cluster bomb new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RtNvyemGx0

US Navy To Go Full Star Trek With New Laser Weapons

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/25/us...laser-weapons/
Now if only we were at war with people who have 40 tanks.

I know we need to spend more on the military than the rest of the planet combined, and then it will still not be enough.

And how do you know that the budget increases will do anything to get needed supplies to the people who don't have them and instead be big ticket items to fight theoretical enemies instead of giving our troops the tools they need to fight the enemies we are currently fighting?

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 8th May 2017 at 05:05 AM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 04:27 AM   #224
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
That's true, I remember clearly your position rejecting Trump's comments about torture....
Torture is bad enough, but don't forget he said he'd be for targeting the families of terrorists.

But we should all know by now "he just says stuff".

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 04:23 PM   #225
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

I don't know if this would be more appropriate in the US/Canada Trade War thread, but it turns out that members of the White House staff had to call a foreign power in to stop Trump from doing something stupid.

Quote:
White House staff called the Prime Minister’s Office last month to urge Justin Trudeau to persuade President Donald Trump not to tear up the North American Free Trade Agreement, according to multiple Canadian government sources.

The unconventional diplomatic manoeuvre — approaching the head of a foreign government to influence your own boss — proved decisive, as Trump thereafter abandoned his threat to pull out of NAFTA unilaterally, citing the arguments made by Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto as pivotal.

I guess he found some intelligent people for his staff after all.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 06:28 PM   #226
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I don't know if this would be more appropriate in the US/Canada Trade War thread, but it turns out that members of the White House staff had to call a foreign power in to stop Trump from doing something stupid.

I thought he wasn't going to outsource.
You know, all that "hire American, buy American".

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 07:52 PM   #227
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This is just more evidence that having Trump as POTUS is dangerous to the world.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 08:53 PM   #228
logger
Philosopher

Uh oh leftists. Trump is nominating 10 lower court judges!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...rsuch-win.html
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 10:03 PM   #229
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Uh oh leftists Americans. Trump is nominating 10 lower court judges!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...rsuch-win.html
FTFY
Old 9th May 2017, 04:59 AM   #230
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
FTFY
Not sure about your fix.

A broad swath of America prefers right-leaning judicial appointments - it was a major selling point of Trump's campaign.

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:06 AM   #231
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Uh oh leftists.
Uh, oh, fellow humans!

It's like you have no respect for anyone's life, happiness or values but your own.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:07 AM   #232
phiwum
Philosopher

Trump has the right to nominate judges, though of course McConnell's partisanship is to blame for why there are so many vacancies. The Senate dragged their feet in the last year of Obama's presidency, purposely failing to have votes on many of his nominees in the hopes that they would win the presidency.

It worked. It was a dirty tactic in my book, but it worked. As a result, Trump will leave quite a mark on the judiciary.

(I believe I heard about this tactic on Morning Edition or All Things Considered, but am not certain.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:44 AM   #233
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I personally think if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Antonin Scalias, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

But I also feel if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Ruth Baden Ginsbergs, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

What some fail to see it's the balance that makes it work. It's a pendulum that swings left and right, indirectly pushed by the will of the electorate. Unbridled in either direction is not a desireable end state.

Old 9th May 2017, 05:48 AM   #234
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Not sure about your fix.

A broad swath of America prefers right-leaning judicial appointments - it was a major selling point of Trump's campaign.
Exactly they want to be able to lose their jobs if they will not die for their employer. It's called loyalty people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:55 AM   #235
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I personally think if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Antonin Scalias, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.

But I also feel if cloning was possible, and we had a Supreme Court composed of 9 Ruth Baden Ginsbergs, this could lead to a dark, dystopian future with both intended and unintended consequences we would all come to regret.
If _anyone_ were cloned and nominated like this, it would lead to such a future.

Quote:
What some fail to see it's the balance that makes it work. It's a pendulum that swings left and right, indirectly pushed by the will of the electorate. Unbridled in either direction is not a desireable end state.
The pendulum isn't the solution. It's the moderation; the compromise.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:02 AM   #236
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
If _anyone_ were cloned and nominated like this, it would lead to such a future.

The pendulum isn't the solution. It's the moderation; the compromise.
Exactly the constant shifting rightward and removal of the hellish socialist government of the 1950's. When they are talking about america being great they really mean before Teddy Roosevelt.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:05 AM   #237
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly the constant shifting rightward and removal of the hellish socialist government of the 1950's.
That's what you think I meant when I said "moderation and compromise"?
Old 9th May 2017, 06:55 AM   #238
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That's what you think I meant when I said "moderation and compromise"?
That is what it means for the past 40 years in the US. That is why we are finally getting to levels of wealth inequality that the right wing really wants, as shown by their policies.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:58 AM   #239
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is what it means for the past 40 years in the US. That is why we are finally getting to levels of wealth inequality that the right wing really wants, as shown by their policies.
I see, so it had nothing to do with the post you were responding to. Good to know.
Old 9th May 2017, 07:03 AM   #240
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I see, so it had nothing to do with the post you were responding to. Good to know.
It was about what the nature of compromise for the past 40 years has been in the US. Shifting to the right. I mean no matter how Reagan is viewed as a saint by the right wing, in his politics he would now be a pure RINO, if not an outright democrat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics