ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Reply
Old 10th May 2017, 08:47 AM   #361
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Dumb.

For the 20th time (of what I'm assuming will be 6,000, minimum), there is nothing inconsistent about:

1) Believing that Comey acted inappropriately with regard to the Clinton emails, and

2) That Trump's firing of Comey is deeply troubling.

No one believes that Trump fired Comey because he was pissed that Comey helped Trump win the election.
Trump does lie about everything, so I would bet that he fired Comey for different reasons. But it does make me wonder if he actually supported Comey back in November or if that was a lie too.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:50 AM   #362
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
From the same cite



Saying that checks and balances are what the rules are, and that their intent with them doesn't matter is extremely consistent with that.
1) Only for doofy originalists who exists in a vacuum separate from other doofy originialists. Again, there is no legal theorist who would agree with your process.

2) I did not cite the "intent" behind Checks and Balances for legal purposes. If the Supreme Court were to decide whether or not Congress could act to support Trump's firing, the obvious answer is yes, but that isn't remotely the point I made.

It is possible for it to be legal and also highly destructive to our system, as well as an unanticipated violation of the very principle our system is based on. This is true as a matter of history. Congress voluntarily abandoning its powers was not something the Federalists considered a reasonable possibility. The elevation of Party over Country would be very troubling to a group of people who spent volumes railing about the danger of factions.

Have you ever read the Federalist Papers?

3) You are completely incorrect about originialism, the constitution, legal scholarship...It's honestly astonishing.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:51 AM   #363
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Trump does lie about everything, so I would bet that he fired Comey for different reasons. But it does make me wonder if he actually supported Comey back in November or if that was a lie too.
He uses people. Comey was useful then. Whether that's "support," I don't know.

The reporting indicates that Trump turned on Comey when Comey refused to support the stupid wire tap tweets.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:52 AM   #364
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Those are 16 groups that may be making claims, but they have presented zero evidence. Claims without evidence belong over there.
I seem to recall various testimonies being taken and evidence presented iin committee hearings. So much for "zero evidence".

And again I point out the circularity of your argument, to wit: There is no need to investigate and gather evidence because there is no evidence to warrant an investigation.

We will never get ANYwhere with the traitor McConnell with his clear involvement covering up the early reports before Nov 6. The US Federal government no longer has any claim at all on legitimacy.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:54 AM   #365
logger
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,114
Originally Posted by Random View Post
The problem with finding out who ordered the stand down is that no stand down was ordered. Even the House GOPers had to admit that in their reports...
So the calls for help were just ignored?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:54 AM   #366
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yeah, that is why we have Trump as president, in large part because of Hillary's epic lies about the scandal.
Yes, I agree. It's people who seem convinced by that vapid line of reason that elevated an ignorant, pissy, orange boy-king to the highest office in the land.

So brilliant is he that after a 10min conversation with Xi, he happily repeats Chinese propaganda.

Quote:
Wanna try that again?
No, the meaning is clear. I'll try to chew it up into little bits so you don't choke on the ideas:

People=people on this thread trying to explain a basic concept to you.
Public=American public.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:55 AM   #367
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
As skeptics we don't accept claims where the evidence is presented in secret. We require evidence in the open to base conclusions.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12 & Rule 0

Last edited by kmortis; 11th May 2017 at 09:27 AM.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:57 AM   #368
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
1) Only for doofy originalists who exists in a vacuum separate from other doofy originialists. Again, there is no legal theorist who would agree with your process.

2) I did not cite the "intent" behind Checks and Balances for legal purposes. If the Supreme Court were to decide whether or not Congress could act to support Trump's firing, the obvious answer is yes, but that isn't remotely the point I made.

It is possible for it to be legal and also highly destructive to our system, as well as an unanticipated violation of the very principle our system is based on. This is true as a matter of history. Congress voluntarily abandoning its powers was not something the Federalists considered a reasonable possibility. The elevation of Party over Country would be very troubling to a group of people who spent volumes railing about the danger of factions.

Have you ever read the Federalist Papers?

3) You are completely incorrect about originialism, the constitution, legal scholarship...It's honestly astonishing.
Yes, I have read the federalist papers. They are excellent pieces of propaganda.

I also think you are wrong about everything in number three. I am positively dumbfounded by everything you are wrong about.

As to point 2, you are the one who invoked originalism in post 343 and brought in a legal theory. I was perfectly happy to stick with the philosophical argument if a system can have principles intended by the creator. We can gladly go back to that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 08:58 AM   #369
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
I seem to recall various testimonies being taken and evidence presented iin committee hearings. So much for "zero evidence".

And again I point out the circularity of your argument, to wit: There is no need to investigate and gather evidence because there is no evidence to warrant an investigation.

We will never get ANYwhere with the traitor McConnell with his clear involvement covering up the early reports before Nov 6. The US Federal government no longer has any claim at all on legitimacy.
I said the FBI can do as they wish. I am not saying they shouldn't investigate.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:00 AM   #370
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12 & Rule 0
Until they expose that information, I will remain unconvinced of any claim based on that. Obviously, that isn't worth them exposing it. Those are very reasonable terms.

Last edited by kmortis; 11th May 2017 at 09:28 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:02 AM   #371
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 35,822
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning. This morning Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, dismissed a question by a reporter with a sarcastic remark about the firing of Comey. I wonder if this firing, at this time, was done for "Entertainment" purposes like the most polite missile strike was on Syria was for the Chinese President was? Will they be having a big beautiful piece of chocolate cake when Trump meets with Sergey Lavrov?
If you're looking for cover-up motives, how about the fact they'd just announced that we'll be arming the Syrian Kurds. Donnie's BFF Erdogan probably isn't going to appreciate that. I'd imagine the EU news cycles were going to be all over it, but it's getting minimal coverage.

I just offer that up. Personally, I think it's just Trump being thick and thinking (and I use that term in its loosest sense) he can keep firing investigators and that this whole thing will go away.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele
"Chicken **** Poster!"
Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:02 AM   #372
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 10,244
It's inappropriate to question Trump's actions, according to Kelly Ann Conway.

Originally Posted by Conway
You want to question the timing of when he fires, when he hires. It's inappropriate. He'll do it when he wants to.
All hail Cheeto Mussolini.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot. random
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:04 AM   #373
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 17,718
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
If you're looking for cover-up motives, how about the fact they'd just announced that we'll be arming the Syrian Kurds. Donnie's BFF Erdogan probably isn't going to appreciate that. I'd imagine the EU news cycles were going to be all over it, but it's getting minimal coverage.

I just offer that up. Personally, I think it's just Trump being thick and thinking (and I use that term in its loosest sense) he can keep firing investigators and that this whole thing will go away.
It worked for his mate Erdoğan. Needs to step things up with a pretext for state of emergency powers.
__________________
'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.' - Richard Feynman

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 10th May 2017 at 09:05 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:05 AM   #374
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You can be a private entity that serves a government interest. That is why people had such a problem with blackwater.

You are allowed to lie to people in this country.
Not when it affects the outcome of an election. Lying to the voters is fraud. The Stines precedent says that when an election is fraudulent, the fraud-committing party loses the seat the the side defrauded.

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Which isn't evidence of election wrongdoing.
Hacked voter registration databases, unsecure voting machines, voter suppression laws and tactics ARE election wrongdoing.

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
WikiLeaks is certainly private.

And those laws shouldn't exist by the way, but that is a different conversation
You just lost what little credibility you had left.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
(emphasis added)


The two highlighted phrases are not synonymous.
However, the former is certainly a logical conclusion based on the later. No foreign power has any business doing ANYthing that affects our electoral process, no matter how small, and the bill of particulars against Team Trump and Russia consists of very big things. Criminal things.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:08 AM   #375
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Yes, I have read the federalist papers. They are excellent pieces of propaganda.
Oh god...I should know better than to interact with you at this point.

Quote:
I also think you are wrong about everything in number three. I am positively dumbfounded by everything you are wrong about.
I mean, it's manifest in your writing that you know very little about the theories you advance. You continually make elementary errors.

Quote:
As to point 2, you are the one who invoked originalism in post 343 and brought in a legal theory. I was perfectly happy to stick with the philosophical argument if a system can have principles intended by the creator. We can gladly go back to that.
This is incorrect. I specifically identified a theory you cited as being too extreme for originalists:

Quote:
The Constitution has no principles beyond the rules themselves. Any desire of the founders is rendered meaningless at the point of ratification.
You chose to then place your interpretation within the school of Original Meaning, which you were just flatly wrong about.

So, you're wrong on the history of the Constitution, you're wrong on the school of legal interpretation you cited, and now you want to engage in an even more vague philosophical argument.

And, of course, it will take two exchanges for you to paint yourself into some bizarre, incoherent philosophical corner as you have done every time I've interacted with you.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:08 AM   #376
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 35,822
In Opposite World, where Kelly Anne resides, we have confirmation.

She said the firing has nothing to do with the Russia investigations.


Say no more.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele
"Chicken **** Poster!"
Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:10 AM   #377
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
You just lost what little credibility you had left.
Why would my opinion on what laws should exist affect my credibility? Isn't my position actually very consistent with all my other positions and evidence of my trustworthiness, dependability, and integrity (all synonyms for credibility)?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:10 AM   #378
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,362
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Yes, I agree. It's people who seem convinced by that vapid line of reason that elevated an ignorant, pissy, orange boy-king to the highest office in the land.

So brilliant is he that after a 10min conversation with Xi, he happily repeats Chinese propaganda.



No, the meaning is clear. I'll try to chew it up into little bits so you don't choke on the ideas:

People=people on this thread trying to explain a basic concept to you.
Public=American public.
Oh "people." you keep using "people" when in fact you mean you and a handful of other people who don't think that Hillary's epic mishandling of the email server fiasco was substantive.

I agree with Hillary, but for that, she might be President.
__________________
CNN: Don't Doxx Me Bro!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:15 AM   #379
logger
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,114
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The timing was, of course, glorious because the Hillary crowd was bitterly complaining about Comey all yesterday morning based on alleged misstatements about Hillary's cowboy server, and all yesterday afternoon they are praising him as the sole bulwark against Mean old Mister Trump.

At noon they wanted to run him out of town on a rail, by 6:00 they wanted to place his statue on the top of the Capitol.
Limbaugh just reported on the Colbert clown car show yesterday. He reported breaking news that Comey had been fired and the audience cheered, they loved it. Not so for the paid left here.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:16 AM   #380
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Oh god...I should know better than to interact with you at this point.



I mean, it's manifest in your writing that you know very little about the theories you advance. You continually make elementary errors.



This is incorrect. I specifically identified a theory you cited as being too extreme for originalists:



You chose to then place your interpretation within the school of Original Meaning, which you were just flatly wrong about.

So, you're wrong on the history of the Constitution, you're wrong on the school of legal interpretation you cited, and now you want to engage in an even more vague philosophical argument.

And, of course, it will take two exchanges for you to paint yourself into some bizarre, incoherent philosophical corner as you have done every time I've interacted with you.
you shouldn't put so many points in one post. I'm just going to winnow it down to one or two.


Why do you object to calling the federalist papers propaganda? They were papers to promote the political cause of ratification.

Quote:
This is incorrect. I specifically identified a theory you cited as being too extreme for originalists:
You are right that I shouldn't have made an argument about original meaning after you brought up people part of a legal theory (originalists) when I was not discussing a legal theory. I was wrong to make that argument. I am fixing that now.

Your bringing up originalism is a non sequitur. Please stick to the topic.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:18 AM   #381
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,241
Comey was reportedly "blindsided" by this announcement -- which proves he was unfit for the job. Any competent intelligence agent would've seen it coming.
__________________
November 2nd, 2016:
Cain: Americans are so ******* stupid.
Shalamar: This is why I'm certain Trump will win.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:20 AM   #382
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh "people." you keep using "people" when in fact you mean you and a handful of other people who don't think that
I guess the chunks were still too big.

What I meant was clear. I clarified it. There's no lower common denominator. I've divided as far as I can. You're at the atomic level.

Quote:
Hillary's epic mishandling of the email server fiasco was substantive
Still doesn't mean there was any actual substance to the content of the scandal - was there any wrondoing in her handling of emails.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:26 AM   #383
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,682
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Comey was reportedly "blindsided" by this announcement -- which proves he was unfit for the job. Any competent intelligence agent would've seen it coming.
Doesn't matter. Firing everyone that is investigating you is 'unseemly'. Whether it was for competence reasons or not, it leads to mistrust of judicial processes.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume

Last edited by acbytesla; 10th May 2017 at 09:29 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:26 AM   #384
The Greater Fool
Illuminator
 
The Greater Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Posts: 3,059
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Limbaugh just reported on the Colbert clown car show yesterday. He reported breaking news that Comey had been fired and the audience cheered, they loved it. Not so for the paid left here.
Personally, I am thrilled Comey was fired. What he did to the election was criminal indeed.

I also believe Trump screwed the pooch by firing Comey. It's obvious that Trump was ebullient about Comey's comments during the election, so for Trump to claim those actions were the cause for termination strains credulity.

So...

Yeah! Comey got his.
Booh! Trump is lying again (or, more accurately, still) and handling important matters petulantly.

See, the two are not mutually exclusive.
__________________
- "Who is the Greater Fool? The fool? Or the one arguing with the Fool?" [Various; Uknown]
- "The only way to win is not to play." [Tsig quoting 'War Games']
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:26 AM   #385
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,362
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
I guess the chunks were still too big.

What I meant was clear. I clarified it. There's no lower common denominator. I've divided as far as I can. You're at the atomic level.

Still doesn't mean there was any actual substance to the content of the scandal - was there any wrondoing in her handling of emails.
Can I borrow your rather patronizing style? I understand your OPINION is that there was no "actual content of the scandal - was there any wrondoing in her handling of emails."

Your opinion is of course objectively wrong, of course.
__________________
CNN: Don't Doxx Me Bro!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:26 AM   #386
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post

Hacked voter registration databases, unsecure voting machines, voter suppression laws and tactics ARE election wrongdoing.
Hacked voter databases: that isn't election wrongdoing. They could be hacked for reasons other than the election (identity theft). Hacking the databases with intent to alter the election is election wrongdoing.

Unsecured voting machines: Every unlocked doors is not evidence that a robbery took place.

voter suppression laws: If we want to mean non legal wrongdoing, these laws are absolutely wrong.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:26 AM   #387
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 38,292
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Dumb.

For the 20th time (of what I'm assuming will be 6,000, minimum), there is nothing inconsistent about:

1) Believing that Comey acted inappropriately with regard to the Clinton emails, and

2) That Trump's firing of Comey is deeply troubling.

No one believes that Trump fired Comey because he was pissed that Comey helped Trump win the election.
I think some of his supporters might be, though I can't see how they could reconcile how it caught the rest of the team like Spicer totally off guard.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:30 AM   #388
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
you shouldn't put so many points in one post. I'm just going to winnow it down to one or two.
Get fewer things wrong and I can keep it shorter.

Quote:
Why do you object to calling the federalist papers propaganda? They were papers to promote the political cause of ratification.
What was misleading about the Federalist papers.

Propaganda: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

They were meant to propose the cause, but they were also very important discussions about how government should be structured. They would be important philosophical works on the theory of government whether or not the Constitution was adopted.

Quote:
Your bringing up originalism is a non sequitur. Please stick to the topic.
Haha. No. I'm allowed to describe your view as too extreme for an extreme school of interpretation. As you seem to recognized, you are the one who decided to make the discussion about schools of originalism.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:32 AM   #389
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Can I borrow your rather patronizing style? I understand your OPINION is that there was no "actual content of the scandal - was there any wrondoing in her handling of emails."
You would need to understand things and get them correct for the patronizing to be effective, but go ahead and give it a whirl.

Quote:
Your opinion is of course objectively wrong, of course.
Ah, so it appears that maybe you've made a step forward.

Whether the opinion is right or wrong, do you recognize that there is a distinction between actual wrongdoing in so far as Hillary's handling of the emails his concerned and whether or not the public reaction to that "scandal" affected the outcome?

Last edited by TraneWreck; 10th May 2017 at 09:34 AM.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:33 AM   #390
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,939
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Get fewer things wrong and I can keep it shorter.



What was misleading about the Federalist papers.

Propaganda: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

They were meant to propose the cause, but they were also very important discussions about how government should be structured. They would be important philosophical works on the theory of government whether or not the Constitution was adopted.



Haha. No. I'm allowed to describe your view as too extreme for an extreme school of interpretation. As you seem to recognized, you are the one who decided to make the discussion about schools of originalism.
Biased or misleading....they were certainly biased.

My philosophical views are too extreme for a legal view? That is an apples to oranges comparison. But i will own extremism. Extremism is a good thing.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:36 AM   #391
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15,374
Originally Posted by logger View Post
The only mistake Trump made is not firing these people on day one. Its the same mistake Bush made.
Trump is an idiot.

Sure, you will inevitably accuse me of being a leftist, whatever that is, and disregarding that I am center right, not american, nor living in america, nor really caring that you are bent on driving the US to be a third world country because you want it so.

If some people really want the US to be that level of medieval nonsense, there is not much I can do but observe that primitive mindset.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:38 AM   #392
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,362
Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post

Whether the opinion is right or wrong, do you recognize that there is a distinction between actual wrongdoing in so far as Hillary's handling of the emails his concerned and whether or not the public reaction to that "scandal" affected the outcome?
No there is no distinction because "Hillary's handling of the email scandal" directly substantively caused the public's reaction to the scandal.

Let me know if you need me to break this down into smaller chunks for ya.
__________________
CNN: Don't Doxx Me Bro!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:38 AM   #393
sts60
Master Poster
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,570
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning. This morning Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, dismissed a question by a reporter with a sarcastic remark about the firing of Comey...
The Russian Foreign Minister and U.S. Secretary of State (holder of the Russian Order of Friendship) both gestured dismissively at the American press - as they walked past the Russian flag into a White House office, right after the former joked about the head of the FBI investigation into collusion with Russia by the Trump campaign being fired by Trump.

Yes, I'll remember that.

ETA: the GIF loop at the head of this article really captures this nicely.

Last edited by sts60; 10th May 2017 at 09:52 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:44 AM   #394
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
I believe that's called "campaigning"
No. "Campaigning" is putting forth your position to convince the voter based on his agreement with your stated principles and promises. Deceiving a voter such that he casts a vote he otherwise would not have cast is fraud.

No honest court would enforce a business contract where one party knowingly and willingly lies in order to obtain the participation of the other party. Nor would they allow the defrauding party to go unpunished


Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Firing Comey won't end the Russia investigation.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/trump-...stigation-yet/
Key word there is "yet". Also, what agency do you propose remains within the system to do anything enforceable by law about the situation?


Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Little late for that. Once Trump fired him he was already out.

Hanging around his office and refusing to leave the building wouldn't change that.
On the contrary, refusing to accept his dismissal (given the clear conflict of interest in an office holder who is under investigation having the alleged authority to fire the law enforcement official doing the investigating) would send a powerful signal and possibly kick some senators into action who are still sitting on their hands.

Trump sending in the goon squad to bodily remove him would once and for all expose his real intentions.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
First, evidence for the highlighted?
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN12Y2WY

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-or-are-they-/

Quote:
Second, there is no mechanism to invalidate an election like you suggest. The election is over, Trump won. That's a simple fact. Whether he stays in office may be a different matter.
The Constituiton establishes no formal mechanism because the FF never anticipated that the situation would arise. Nevertheless justice demands that the integrity of the political process is of such high national importance that the lack of a formal clause would not be an obstacle.

In fact, SCOTUS has already established the principle of overturning fraudulent elections in the Stinson case (PA 1995-96).

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/19/us...ia-senate.html

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/12/...onent-details/
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:44 AM   #395
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 11,000
The rationale for the firing of Comey was quite accurate and appropriate.

Comey should have released the data he had on Clinton with considerably more professionalism and there is really no excuse for him so badly handling the announcements that he made on the issue. After all, if Comey actually did need guidance on how to handle the announcements, then he had a whole staff who could have provided the needed guidance.

However, what really stinks about the Comey firing both when Comey was fired and when Comey was fired.

Considering that Trump has been the President for over 100 days now, and if the firing rationale as stipulated in the Trump memo is actual rationale,
then Trump is a seriously stupid idiot to put up with Comey for so long.

On the other hand:

If Trump fired Comey because Comey would not validate the absurd Trump wire-tap claims, or
If Comey was fired because Comey was about to discover some sort of Trump-Putin pre-election collusion, or
If Comey was about to discover some other sort of Trump shenanigans,

then Trump is indeed some sort of seriously stupid idiot if he thinks that simply firing Comey will somehow serve to protect Trump himself. because such facts always have a way of being revealed one way or the other.
__________________
On 16 MAY 2017 Paul Bethke discussed some of the sexual prohibitions of his god regarding man-to-man sex acts and woman-to-woman sex acts: "So not only lesbian acts but also anal sex.."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11840580

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 10th May 2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: minor typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:48 AM   #396
TraneWreck
Philosopher
 
TraneWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,929
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
The rationale for the firing of Comey was quite accurate and appropriate.

[...]

then Trump is indeed some sort of seriously stupid idiot if he thinks that simply firing Comey will somehow serve to protect Trump himself. because such facts always have a way of being revealed one way or the other.
Agree with your reasoning, but you should include the fact that Trump was giddy over Comey during the election and supported him after.

It wasn't just the timing, it was that Trump spoke very positively of the very thing Comey was supposedly fired for.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:48 AM   #397
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,682
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Hacked voter databases: that isn't election wrongdoing. They could be hacked for reasons other than the election (identity theft). Hacking the databases with intent to alter the election is election wrongdoing.

Unsecured voting machines: Every unlocked doors is not evidence that a robbery took place.

voter suppression laws: If we want to mean non legal wrongdoing, these laws are absolutely wrong.
You are being deliberately obtuse.

1. Hacking into databases is still a criminal activity regardless of the motive.
2. Securing voting machines is part of the process to ensure fair elections. When they are not, the security of our nation is at risk.
3.laws against voter suppression are wrong? You can't be serious?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:51 AM   #398
C_Felix
Master Poster
 
C_Felix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Just outside Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,282
I can't keep up anymore.

Sessions said this...
Comey said that...
Manafort lies to Trump...
Flynn lies to Trump...
Yates....
Clapper...
Trump praised Comey...
Spicer literally hides in bushes....
Comey was in Obama's and therefore Clinton's pocket....
__________________
Eqinsu Ocha!
Eqinsu Ocha!

Last edited by C_Felix; 10th May 2017 at 09:53 AM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:51 AM   #399
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13,682
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
The rationale for the firing of Comey was quite accurate and appropriate.

Comey should have released the data he had on Clinton with considerably more professionalism and there is really no excuse for him so badly handling the announcements that he made on the issue. After all, if Comey actually did need guidance on how to handle the announcements, then he had a whole staff who could have provided the needed guidance.

However, what really stinks about the Comey firing both when Comey was fired and when Comey was fired.

Considering that Trump has been the President for over 100 days now, and if the firing rationale as stipulated in the Trump memo is actual rationale,
then Trump is a seriously stupid idiot to put up with Comey for so long.

On the other hand:

If Trump fired Comey because Comey would not validate the absurd Trump wire-tap claims, or
If Comey was fired because Comey was about to discover some sort of Trump-Putin pre-election collusion, or
If Comey was about to discover some other sort of Trump shenanigans, or

then Trump is indeed some sort of seriously stupid idiot if he thinks that simply firing Comey will somehow serve to protect Trump himself. because such facts always have a way of being revealed one way or the other.
Raise your hand if you think Trump fired Comey over how he handled Hillary and the emails?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2017, 09:51 AM   #400
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 61,444
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The UK - Wales specifically

The GOP are largely silent and will doubtless do nothing about any of this. The media may have a couple of stories today but in a couple of days there'll be a new shiny thing to distract them. The electorate, a few politically active individuals aside, couldn't really give a stuff - they're more interested in their own lives and problems - I'd be shocked if more than 1 in 10 care much less are in any way outraged by any of this.
While there are plenty of skeptical people here, doubting the GOP will do anything against Trump, I don't think the majority in this country are OK with King Trump. This whole affair is offensive.

What I think is, our news media is all about scandal. This is big-time scandal. They are going to drive the narrative.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.