ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 19th May 2017, 11:01 AM   #2121
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And yet here you are.
I'd be here talking about someone else.

In other words, I'd rather not be talking about THAT moron.

Should I use smaller words?
Old 19th May 2017, 11:08 AM   #2122
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I don't know if I'd classify that as a "lie." He always said he had made the decision before the recommendation. Then he got the recommendation. So he can already have made up his mind and the Rosenstein memo just confirmed what he was already thinking.

My question: If Rosenstein already knew Trump was going to fire Comey, why did he then write a memo recommending the firing?

Rosenstein wrote the memo because Trump told him to make a case against Comey. He wrote one that argued that Comey treated Hillary unfairly. But Trump actually believes that Comey was too soft on Hillary. Trump used the memo anyway because he is an incompetent liar. For some reason, nobody believed Trump fired Comey for treating Hillary poorly.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:09 PM   #2123
seayakin
Graduate Poster

Trump Told Russians That Firing ‘Nut Job’ Comey Eased Pressure From Investigation

Quote:
“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”
Old 19th May 2017, 12:15 PM   #2124
Bob001
Illuminator

Trump told Russians that firing Comey takes the pressure off

Trump told Russians that Comey was crazy, firing him will end "great pressure," says NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/u...T.nav=top-news
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:17 PM   #2125
Tony Stark
Philosopher

What an idiot.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:18 PM   #2126
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
That's going to be subpoenaed. Unless I misunderstand the law. This seems like a slam dunk for obstruction. It's not even close. (Not that he will be impeached) Am I wrong? How?
Old 19th May 2017, 12:21 PM   #2127
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
What an idiot.
I wish he was an idiot. But as others have pointed out, he always seems to come out ahead.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f979da9e0627

And Republicans have no principles.
Quote:
The G.O.P., by contrast, is one branch of a monolithic structure, movement conservatism, with a rigid ideology — tax cuts for the rich above all else.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/o...pgtype=article
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:21 PM   #2128
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Whether or not the beast is a bought-and-paid-for pawn of Russia, it's definitely spending way too much time talking to Russian representatives.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:29 PM   #2129
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I wish he was an idiot. But as others have pointed out, he always seems to come out ahead.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f979da9e0627
He's way out of his element.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:37 PM   #2130
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Trump told Russians that Comey was crazy, firing him will end "great pressure," says NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/u...T.nav=top-news
Well, that answers one question: He really is stupid enough to think firing Comey would take the "great pressure" off (and stupid enough to brag about it). Anyway, it could be a very bad sign if Trump starts believing that his "enemies" are literally crazy.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:40 PM   #2131
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good afternoon. The interesting thing is that the NYT has a transcript of that meeting. Did this come from the Russians?

In other news right now, The Washington Post is saying that a Current Senior White House Official is a "person of interest" in the investigation into the Russian connection.

Eta I see the article says the info came from a summary of the meeting however MSNBC said that the NYT had a transcript. Maybe, maybe not. In either case that info is very telling as to the mindset of President Trump.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 19th May 2017 at 12:44 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:43 PM   #2132
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good afternoon. The interesting thing is that the NYT has a transcript of that meeting. Did this come from the Russians?
A transcript, not a recording. Both sides had note-takers, and multiple officials have access to the notes, which apparently at least one shared with the NYT, which then confirmed the contents with others.
Old 19th May 2017, 12:47 PM   #2133
portlandatheist
Master Poster

His inability to make simple future predictions of his actions, his rank amateurism of his political calculus....unbelievable.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 12:49 PM   #2134
Minoosh
Philosopher

I don't know if I'd classify that as a "lie." He always said he had made the decision before the recommendation. Then he got the recommendation. So he can already have made up his mind and the Rosenstein memo just confirmed what he was already thinking.
You have to look at the exact wording used in Trump's statements. Sure he could already have made up his mind, with the Justice memo providing further cover. Rosenstein didn't see it that way; he was incensed his memo was used to support firing. Silly boy.

My question: If Rosenstein already knew Trump was going to fire Comey, why did he then write a memo recommending the firing?
The memo stopped short of recommending firing. IMO he was pretty much told to provide an accounting of Comey's errors, with the suggestion that Comey could either be fired or forgiven if he cooperated with a mea culpa, I'll never do it again response. (Plus knowing firing was a distinct possibility.)

I also think it's fair for Comey to say he wasn't asked (by the president) to halt the investigation of Flynn. "I hope you can find some way to lay this aside" (paraphrase) is not a question. Ditto in a fairly long-winded question about whether Justice had pressured him. I do wonder at Comey's use of proxies but he might have good reason for it.

At some point maybe we can look at indirect language and conclude there is no other possible meaning than the stronger "Trump asked Comey to drop the investigation." (my words)

Don't forget, most of these guys are lawyers. They get pretty good at ass-covering in the exact language used.

Except Sessions, lol.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:05 PM   #2135
Vixen
Philosopher

So 'Comey is a crazy nut job'. Crumbs.
ja tähtösiä täynnä
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:08 PM   #2136
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I find it amazing that he thought he could fire Comey without anybody caring and that without Comey the investigation would go away.
Old 19th May 2017, 01:11 PM   #2137
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I find it amazing that he thought he could fire Comey without anybody caring and that without Comey the investigation would go away.
He actually thought the Democrats would cheer the firing of Comey.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:14 PM   #2138
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Every day I think Trump can't do anything dumber, and then he says "hold my beer, I wanna try this thing I saw on YouTube".
Old 19th May 2017, 01:18 PM   #2139
Stacko
Philosopher

He doesn't seem to grasp that reality exists independently of his perception.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:23 PM   #2140
Stacko
Philosopher

This is a first:
White House officials have told NBC News that they do not dispute the account as reported by the New York Times.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:26 PM   #2141
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Doesn't mean he isn't an idiot. He's the Forrest Gump of presidents...if you subtract the well-meaning naivete and replace it with an all-consuming narcissism driven by the hunger of a thousand collapsed stars.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 19th May 2017 at 01:54 PM.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:30 PM   #2142
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Doesn't mean he isn't an idiot. He's the Forrest Gump of presidents if you subtract the well-meaning naivete and replace it will an all-consuming narcissism with the hunger of a thousand collapsed stars.
So, Forrest Gump if they had cast Val Kilmer instead of Tom Hanks.
Old 19th May 2017, 01:34 PM   #2143
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Damn, you're good.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:35 PM   #2144
Cain
Straussian

He's way out of his element.
Exactly. Trump-the-huckster can sell Trump university to naive nincompoops, but Washington is proving to be another type of environment. Sarah Palin won a governorship, and she became a national star as McCain's VP selection. Where is she now?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:38 PM   #2145
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
via Imgflip Meme Generator
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:41 PM   #2146
zorro99
Critical Thinker

I will take Trump at his word, that firing Comey took the pressure off him, or so he thought. That is obstruction of justice
Old 19th May 2017, 01:42 PM   #2147
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yes, that was indeed part of Noah's point.

One wouldn't say, "Believe me, I'd rather not be doing X," if one is not doing X.

Believe me, I'd rather not be explaining such basic concepts of communication.
Are you saying that if you had a choice, you would choose not to explain it?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:50 PM   #2148
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Damn, you're good.
A goddamn national treasure.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:59 PM   #2149
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Believe me, we'd rather not be talking about this moron.

And yet here you are.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yes, that was indeed part of Noah's point.

One wouldn't say, "Believe me, I'd rather not be doing X," if one is not doing X.

Believe me, I'd rather not be explaining such basic concepts of communication.
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Noah Fence would rather there was a situation where the POTUS was not abnormal on a fractal level - both in lies and actions from the minor (getting more ice cream than his guests or lying about his inauguration crowd size) to the major (birtherism, trying to interfere with the FBI).

Similarly, phiwum would rather not explain such a simple concept, and its consequent derail, but they'd prefer that to the alternative of your rather silly question remaining unanswered.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:00 PM   #2150
TraneWreck
Philosopher

May have to nominate that exchange. Funny.
Old 19th May 2017, 02:10 PM   #2151
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
May have to nominate that exchange. Funny.
You misspelled tiresome.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:11 PM   #2152
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You misspelled tiresome.
I didn't read it in nature, just that handy little summary.

If someone could go through and sum up all the goofy comments like that for me, that'd be great. Thanks.
Old 19th May 2017, 02:12 PM   #2153
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I want to know what the hell the President of the United States is doing discussing personnel issues or the FBI or US investigations of any kind with Russia?

If true, another example of how Trump is an idiot.

Last edited by acbytesla; 19th May 2017 at 02:56 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:18 PM   #2154
phiwum
Philosopher

I'm saying that a world in which I didn't find explanation practically necessary would be better than the world I find myself in.

"I'd rather not paint the bottom of my boat this year."

"Oh my, you mean you have no choice?"

Honestly, this kind of phrase is not all that uncommon. Why pretend that it's meaning is unclear? Yes, I could make a choice not to paint my boat, but I will paint it anyway, even though I say I'd rather not. All I mean is that, were the outcome roughly the same, I would choose not.

Anyway, I think pretending not to understand pretty standard English is a fine debate tactic. I agree, Trump is blameless in firing Comey. Good job!
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:45 PM   #2155
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump Officials: ‘He Looks More and More Like a Complete Moron’

Quote:
Trump’s repeated media missteps have frustrated even longtime supporters. “Every day he looks more and more like a complete moron,” said one senior administration official who also worked on Trump’s campaign. “I can’t see Trump resigning or even being impeached, but at this point I wish he’d grow a brain and be the man that he sold himself as on the campaign.”

Asked whether an administration staff change-up would ameliorate this latest crisis, a Republican source formerly involved with a pro-Trump political group told The Daily Beast, “yes, if it comes with a frontal lobotomy for Trump.”

The consequences for Trump could be more dire than a staff shake-up, law enforcement sources suggested, however. Trump’s reported comments to the Russian officials could support allegations that he fired Comey in order to slow or put a stop to an investigation probing his campaign’s contacts with the Russian government—allegations that the White House vehemently denies.

‘Absolutely… Looks Like Obstruction’

Asked whether those comments could be construed as intent to interfere in the FBI’s investigation, a Justice Department official told The Daily Beast, “absolutely.”
Old 19th May 2017, 03:49 PM   #2156
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Old 19th May 2017, 03:51 PM   #2157
Stacko
Philosopher

They're getting desperate.

Quote:
The Trump administration is exploring whether it can use an obscure ethics rule to undermine the special counsel investigation into ties between President Donald Trump's campaign team and Russia, two people familiar with White House thinking said on Friday.

Trump has said that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein's hiring of former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel to lead the investigation "hurts our country terribly."

Within hours of Mueller's appointment on Wednesday, the White House began reviewing the Code of Federal Regulations, which restricts newly hired government lawyers from investigating their prior law firm’s clients for one year after their hiring, the sources said.

An executive order signed by Trump in January extended that period to two years.

Mueller's former law firm, WilmerHale, represents Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, who met with a Russian bank executive in December, and the president's former campaign manager Paul Manafort, who is a subject of a federal investigation.

Legal experts said the ethics rule can be waived by the Justice Department, which appointed Mueller. He did not represent Kushner or Manafort directly at his former law firm.
Old 19th May 2017, 04:08 PM   #2158
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

He's the most incompetent liar I've ever seen.
No, no, it's 3-D chess!

With men carved out of ice cubes.
Old 19th May 2017, 04:18 PM   #2159
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He actually thought the Democrats would cheer the firing of Comey.
I think they are. Just not for the reasons he was thinking.
Old 19th May 2017, 04:27 PM   #2160
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

The twitter fingers will be bleeding.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics