ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th May 2017, 04:39 AM   #1
logger
Suspended

Is this segregation acceptable

I see things like this being very much accepted today.

Is it wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-har...043624239.html
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 04:56 AM   #2
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by logger View Post

Is it wrong?

"Things like this"

What other things like this have you seen?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 05:43 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is it wrong?

Do you find it acceptable?
Old 17th May 2017, 05:48 AM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Is it wrong?

I think it's kind of cute. Not every day your kid graduates from Harvard.

Maybe they could have a nice chicken dinner afterward and shoot some hoops.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 05:48 AM   #5
thines
Scholar

Is this acceptable?

Sure it's acceptable. If, say, the college stamp club wanted to hold their own event to honor outstanding student and faculty philatelists, so what?
thines is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 05:48 AM   #6
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Do you find it acceptable?
No, do you?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 05:51 AM   #7
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by thines View Post
Sure it's acceptable. If, say, the college stamp club wanted to hold their own event to honor outstanding student and faculty philatelists, so what?
I think it's destructive, I think it divides people. Would you accept a white graduation?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:03 AM   #8
Spindrift

I think it's destructive, I think it divides people. Would you accept a white graduation?
Why are you making this about race?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:06 AM   #9
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

I guess it boils down to 'Is it OK for minorities to be racist', right?
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:09 AM   #10
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

You mean white people exclusively? No way. That would be racist.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:20 AM   #11
bobdroege7
Master Poster

The ceremonies are open to all, so what's the problem?

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:23 AM   #12
TraneWreck
Philosopher

AND WHY IS THERE NO WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION?!?!?!111
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:29 AM   #13
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
The ceremonies are open to all, so what's the problem?
I suppose today's KKK are open to all also?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:31 AM   #14
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Actually, we know why, its racist.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:33 AM   #15
Spindrift

No, the KKK is a racist organization. Why would you think that?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:34 AM   #16
Spindrift

Actually, we know why, its racist.
It's called FoxNews.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:36 AM   #17
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Like, I know your entire existence consists of thinking up ways to annoy liberals on this message board. I don't know why you crave attention so strongly, but whatever, you do make the place more entertaining (though not really for the reason you think).

But surely, on some level, even you realize how insulting that comparison is.

300 years of slavery followed by 100 years of domestic terrorism lead by the KKK aimed entirely at destroying the black community. Any attempt to organize or build a community - destroyed by rape, lynching, rioting...

Then, after 400 years, the black community finally begins to win rights and status through organization and internal development and advocacy, and you respond to those efforts by comparing them to the KKK, the group whose violence and terrorism necessitated the very response you're criticizing.

Yes, I know you're trolling. Yes, I know you will respond to this with "lol...blah blah," but it's worth articulating why all arguments of this sort are not just wrong but *********** insulting.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:37 AM   #18
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I can't tell from the story whether this is being billed as an official university event, or a purely student-organized activity. If the latter, it is essentially a club meeting and there is no problem. If the former, it shouldn't be allowed.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:40 AM   #19
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I can't tell from the story whether this is being billed as an official university event, or a purely student-organized activity. If the latter, it is essentially a club meeting and there is no problem. If the former, it shouldn't be allowed.
Doesn't look like it's sanctioned and I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed. I'm asking if it's wrong, looks like you agree?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:41 AM   #20
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Self-segregation is legal......for now.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:43 AM   #21
logger
Suspended

Like, I know your entire existence consists of thinking up ways to annoy liberals on this message board. I don't know why you crave attention so strongly, but whatever, you do make the place more entertaining (though not really for the reason you think).

But surely, on some level, even you realize how insulting that comparison is.

300 years of slavery followed by 100 years of domestic terrorism lead by the KKK aimed entirely at destroying the black community. Any attempt to organize or build a community - destroyed by rape, lynching, rioting...

Then, after 400 years, the black community finally begins to win rights and status through organization and internal development and advocacy, and you respond to those efforts by comparing them to the KKK, the group whose violence and terrorism necessitated the very response you're criticizing.

Yes, I know you're trolling. Yes, I know you will respond to this with "lol...blah blah," but it's worth articulating why all arguments of this sort are not just wrong but *********** insulting.
Lol
Actually I thought this could be an area of agreement, but even something so obviously racist can't bring you around from the extreme. Notice I didn't bring up politics but once again you're on the wrong side. This is a reason race will never be solved these kinds of things are only done to divide people.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:44 AM   #22
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Doesn't look like it's sanctioned and I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed. I'm asking if it's wrong, looks like you agree?
Are you also one of those people, like Trump, who whine about violence in the black community and "black on black" crime and think the black community should take responsibility for cleaning up its culture?

Because university student groups celebrating the accomplishments of black students, which is the result of dedicated effort to make sure that black students don't drop out, is exactly that sort of thing.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:45 AM   #23
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
No, the KKK is a racist organization. Why would you think that?
You mean non whites cant stand around and watch? That is what people would be doing at this event. Focus! Give up on your narrative of petty division!
Old 17th May 2017, 06:45 AM   #24
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Lol
Actually I thought this could be an area of agreement, but even something so obviously racist can't bring you around from the extreme. Notice I didn't bring up politics but once again you're on the wrong side. This is a reason race will never be solved these kinds of things are only done to divide people.
Again, when you engage in terrorist activity aimed at destroying a culture, it is just ignorant and disgusting to then criticize that same group for unifying in response to efforts aimed at destroying it.

Race will never be solved because people seem dedicated to maintaining a stunning level of historical ignorance.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:46 AM   #25
Spindrift

Lol
What people were divided by this? Wasn't anyone allowed to participate?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:47 AM   #26
logger
Suspended

Are you also one of those people, like Trump, who whine about violence in the black community and "black on black" crime and think the black community should take responsibility for cleaning up its culture?
Actually no, I believe all races can help. Its more focused on people who live in the city, yes most are AA.
Quote:
Because university student groups celebrating the accomplishments of black students, which is the result of dedicated effort to make sure that black students don't drop out, is exactly that sort of thing.
IMO is better celebrated together not singled out. That's why we don't have white groups celebrating this way.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:48 AM   #27
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

If it is a student organized event, I see nothing wrong with it.

To more fully examine why it is ok, and to contrast it with the obvious question of "would it be ok to hold a whites only graduation" would require a more lengthy response than I have time for right now and, to be honest, a deeper examination than I suspect you are interested in. We'll see where the thread goes and how much more detail is warranted.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:49 AM   #28
logger
Suspended

Again, when you engage in terrorist activity aimed at destroying a culture, it is just ignorant and disgusting to then criticize that same group for unifying in response to efforts aimed at destroying it.
What terrorist activity do you mean? You don't think that is highly offensive?
Are white people now to blame for Middle East terrorism?
Quote:
Race will never be solved because people seem dedicated to maintaining a stunning level of historical ignorance.
What is the answer once you learn the history?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:50 AM   #29
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
What people were divided by this? Wasn't anyone allowed to participate?
I think you had to have a degree from Harvard.

Those are hard to get. (Or so I'm told.)
Old 17th May 2017, 06:51 AM   #30
TraneWreck
Philosopher

IMO is better celebrated together not singled out. That's why we don't have white groups celebrating this way.
They do also celebrate together. They have a special ceremony because it's specially difficult for African Americans to graduate from higher education institutions, especially Ivy Leagues.

It's not exclusionary; it's a group recognizing a specific accomplishment to promote other members of the group following that path.

Define racism and explain how this is racist.

Also worth pointing out that other at-risk student groups that include multiple races, like first-generation groups, also have special ceremonies and celebrations.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #31
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

To more fully examine why it is ok, and to contrast it with the obvious question of "would it be ok to hold a whites only graduation" would require a more lengthy response than I have time for right now and, to be honest, a deeper examination than I suspect you are interested in. We'll see where the thread goes and how much more detail is warranted.
It was student organized, read about this a few days ago. 'Celebrating achievement in the Black Community'. Held a couple days before general commencement.
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #32
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

What white groups would those be?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:53 AM   #33
TraneWreck
Philosopher

What terrorist activity do you mean? You don't think that is highly offensive?
You used the KKK analogy. They are by far the deadliest terrorist organization in American history.

Quote:
Are white people now to blame for Middle East terrorism?
What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
What is the answer once you learn the history?
Many of them. In this case, it's that black groups supporting one another is not racism, it's a response to racism.

Last edited by TraneWreck; 17th May 2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:53 AM   #34
logger
Suspended

I'm very much interested when you have time!
Old 17th May 2017, 06:55 AM   #35
desmirelle
Critical Thinker

America is supposedly the 'melting pot' nation and here is an example of going out of the way to emphasize difference, rather than celebrate a unified struggle and achievement (We've survived college and conquered it, now getting our symbol of this conquest - the diploma) of a group of students who are in other ways very diverse.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:55 AM   #36
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Kappa Alpha?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 06:55 AM   #37
logger
Suspended

You used the KKK analogy. They are by far the deadliest terrorist in American history.
Because they're the one everyone knows about? I could have used any other to prove the point, you got caught up in your emotional rant to understand what I was saying, because that is what you do.

Quote:
Many of them. In this case, it's that black groups supporting one another is not racism, it's a response to racism.
It's nothing more than reverse racism, guess what your first clue would be?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:56 AM   #38
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
None. You did read what I posted?
Old 17th May 2017, 06:58 AM   #39
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
America is supposedly the 'melting pot' nation and here is an example of going out of the way to emphasize difference, rather than celebrate a unified struggle and achievement (We've survived college and conquered it, now getting our symbol of this conquest - the diploma) of a group of students who are in other ways very diverse.
Agreed, it is fascinating that others can't see that.
Old 17th May 2017, 06:59 AM   #40
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Because they're the one everyone knows about? I could have used any other to prove the point, you got caught up in your emotional rant to understand what I was saying, because that is what you do.
No, because they're the ones that spent more than 100 years devastating the very community that is celebrating achievement in the face of great odds.

Your example was not just wrong and insulting - please provide the list of crimes committed by black student groups at Harvard - it was also deeply relevant to reason those groups exist, not that you knew that when you were making the idiotic comparison.

Quote:
It's nothing more than reverse racism, guess what your first clue would be?
You started this thread, which would make one think you actually had a point. That you've reverted so quickly to this style of asking rhetorical questions to hide the fact that you don't have anything to say on a topic you chose is just embarrassing.

No, this is not reverse racism. Again, define racism and explain how this is racist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events