ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: Is a Trump impeachment likely?
Yes, expect to see it happen sometime in the near future. 38 31.15%
No, Trump is safe(for now) 46 37.70%
Don't know 18 14.75%
On planet X Trump will dissolve Congress fire everyone and declare himself POTUS for life 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th May 2017, 09:00 PM   #1
MrFliop
Scholar

Is a a Trump impeachment likely?

Well..... I have nothing to add, the title should be self explanatory.
MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 09:02 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

You could have added a poll. I'd vote "yes."

Edited to add: I posted too soon, you DID post a poll, you sneaky little devil you!

"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

Last edited by shemp; 17th May 2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I spoke too soon!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Noztradamus
Illuminator

One option has reached 100%. Matter settled
Old 17th May 2017, 09:07 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

At the current stage, I see the investigation expose the entire administration plus Paul Ryan to be criminally tainted, forcing everyone with a shred to decency to resign.

So no, Trump will stay until the 2018 elections.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Sadly, I had to vote my head instead of my heart. I voted no.

Although, I took it to mean "in the short term". I don't think we've seen anything worth impeaching him for....yet.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I'm always wrong about Trump. He's basically admitted to the same thing that Nixon was almost impeached for. There's a special prosecutor now. He's getting nothing done.

Anyone with any sense of either patriotism or just plain access to his emotions would resign so the country can move on to important things like budgets and health care and stuff.

Still, with a Republican legislature that seems to only care that he's alive to sign legislation, and with some sort of disconnect between Republican morality and Trump amorality ... I can't tell anymore.

He should be impeached. Will he be? Maybe not until 2019? Maybe never?

I cant tell.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
Well..... I have nothing to add, the title should be self explanatory.
IMO not only not likely, I would say very unlikely.

For all the noises, GOP don't seem to do much. So i expect Trump to continue with its antics for 3 years and a half and nothing to happen.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 09:21 PM   #8
Babbylonian
Philosopher

It's a snowball of stupidity, incompetence, and evil that appears to be gaining speed. In the absence of an impeachment before summer's out (Congress will want to wrap it up with enough time to spin and campaign for 2018), I believe there will be resignation. It will be bittersweet given that Pence will come off the bench, but mostly sweet.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:21 PM   #9
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You could have added a poll. I'd vote "yes."

I would vote yes as well.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 09:41 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

You can't screw up this badly, day after day, bringing all the GOP legislators down with you and make it through 4 years. It's not just about firing Comey and trying to obstruct justice. If not this it will be the next incompetent self-absorbed action.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 10:18 PM   #11
Ranb
Philosopher

I voted no as I don't think the House has enough votes to get rid of him for treason, bribery, high crimes blah blah blah. Would be nice to see him getting the boot though.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 10:31 PM   #12
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

He will get the boot when he becomes too much of a liability for the party. Nixon lost his GOP support because they had to get rid of him before the '74 mid-term elections and try to save their own skins.

"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 10:35 PM   #13
Civet
Muse

Safe until the midterms. After that, no idea.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2017, 10:57 PM   #14
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm more in the "not yet" camp, although it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make it 4 years.

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Still, with a Republican legislature that seems to only care that he's alive to sign legislation, and with some sort of disconnect between Republican morality and Trump amorality ... I can't tell anymore.

He should be impeached. Will he be? Maybe not until 2019? Maybe never?

I cant tell.
I believe the Republican support depends on his poll numbers to a large extent. They won't impeach if his poll numbers stay around 40. If those start to go south though (and it looks like they have already started to move in that direction) then you will probably see his support in congress also start to evaporate.
Old 17th May 2017, 11:37 PM   #15
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Based on past history, the odds are about 1/22. Of course, while both Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached, they were not convicted and thus did not leave office.

You can make arguments for why Trump is more likely than other presidents to be impeached; here's an argument why he's less likely. Because the media are out to get him, have been from before he was elected. And yet they still haven't made anything stick.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:39 AM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump takes his ball and goes home. He will resign before it gets that far.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:46 AM   #17
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

IMO it's very likely that Trump will server at least one full term. Any attempt at impeachment will likely descend into partisan bickering "the Democrats are making a big deal of this because they're sore that they lost the election" and in any case it'll be years before the process grinds to a conclusion.

There may be some GOP reverses in the 2018 elections, but 2020 is a whole different story and by then GOP voters will be enjoying their tax cuts, and the deficit will not yet be out of control. I think that if he chooses to run then Trump still stands a better than even chance of winning the 2020 Presidential election.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:59 AM   #18
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Impeachment is a slow process that can be slowed down - but once it looks like Trump is definitely going down, it might be in the GOP's interest to try to get the whole thing over as quickly as possible, hoping to present a clean slate for the 2018 elections.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:03 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He will get the boot when he becomes too much of a liability for the party. Nixon lost his GOP support because they had to get rid of him before the '74 mid-term elections and try to save their own skins.
Exactly my not yet has more to do with how republicans are hiding from commenting and making anything known until they get a better gauge how this plays to their base. Until the republican base buys into it, and all of their news sources are saying how unreliable it all is, nothing will move foward.

So really it is up to Fox News.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:11 AM   #20
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

If Hillary can survive Benghazi and the e-mails, Trump can survive this.

Depending, of course, on just what "this" turns out to be. I don't think anyone really knows yet.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:14 AM   #21
3point14
Pi

Would impeachment require some sort of cross party cooperation?

If so, no.

If not, possibly.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:14 AM   #22
McHrozni
Philosopher

Define "in the near term". I see an opening after the midterm elections as a possibility, is that in the near term or not?

Short of special prosecutor uncovering major evidence of Trump-Putin collusion, I don't see GOP impeaching him. This is not likely to happen before the elections. If it happens by the end of this year all bets are off though.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 18th May 2017 at 03:21 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:15 AM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Define "in the near term". I see an opening after the midterm elections as a possibility, is that in the near term or not?

Short of special prosecutor uncovering major evidence of Trump-Putin collusion, I don't see GOP impeaching him. This is not lokely to happen before the elections.

McHrozni
Exactly the stuff Nixon pulled is now Republican SOP.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:16 AM   #24
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Impeached for what?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:16 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course we will have to wait and see what new scandals we get next week.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:25 AM   #26
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So really it is up to Fox News.
Fox has a 100% monopoly on the pro-Trump audience. Why in the world would they give up that edge?
No other media outlet can deliver this target audience to their advertisers.

No, Fox will stick with Trump probably even past an impeachment and even incarceration.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:26 AM   #27
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think Trump takes his ball and goes home. He will resign before it gets that far.
I agree with this, with the exception that Trump has no balls.

(Metaphorically, of course.)

Trump's narcissism won't let him get into a position where he loses, so he'll do what he always does in these situations and declare a strategic bankruptcy with a premise of a rigged system and forces conspiring against him.

On the other hand, and here I hope I'm wrong, this Republican-run House will never impeach a Republican President. This isn't the 70s. Integrity is a thing of the past. Party before county.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:29 AM   #28
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If Hillary can survive Benghazi and the e-mails, Trump can survive this.
Hillary isn't in office any more.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:30 AM   #29
Octavo
Master Poster

I think Trump wants to be impeached.

This whole presidenting thing is getting in the way of his cable news consumption and golfing schedule. If he can get himself impeached, he can say that the establishment politicians were so scared of them, they had to conspire to expel him from the White House. He can claim that if only people had listened, he would have #MAGA, and the pansy Washington beltway conspired to fix the game against him.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:42 AM   #30
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I voted yes, but it is dependent on a few things.

1) The Comey memos are real and at least as explosive as they have been claimed to be if not more so.

2) The GOP growing a Backbone and deciding that they can live with President Pence.

As to the what for, I suspect that should 1) be confirmed, it'd going to be for obstruction of Justice.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 03:46 AM   #31
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Hillary isn't in office any more.
Sabbatical.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:02 AM   #32
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yes, he is an arrogant and not bright dodgy bussinessman with no knowledge or care for government ethics. He is openly on shakey ground with his behaviour towards Comey, which has been triggered by investigations into dealings with Russians, both political interference and possible money laundering.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:03 AM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

If you manage to impeach two presidents, you get the third Impeachment for free.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:09 AM   #34
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Sabbatical.
No, she hasn't been elected to anything since and not for lack of trying. She only survived it in the sense that there was never any legitimate reason to "LOCK HER UP".

If the various investigations finds that Trump either obstructed justice (and it's hard to see how they couldn't, given his tweets) or colluded with Russia, that will be a distinct difference between Trump's and Clinton's situations.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:12 AM   #35
dejudge
Illuminator

Once Comey presents his memos then it would be all over for Trump. It was most bizarre that people believed a pathological liar could make America great.

Perhaps Trump will resign before impeachment and blame the Democrats.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:24 AM   #36
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

The combination of intentional gerrymandering and coincidental "gerrymandering" due to the modern tendency of demographic groups to self-segregate makes it unlikely that the Republicans will lose their majority in the House in 2018. And I don't see a political party impeaching a president from their party unless he doesn't something that is so blatantly bad that the country overwhelmingly supports removal of the president.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:34 AM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At the current stage, I see the investigation expose the entire administration plus Paul Ryan to be criminally tainted, forcing everyone with a shred to decency to resign.
That would leave only the bad guys in congress!
Old 18th May 2017, 04:35 AM   #38
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Impeached for what?
You're so cute.
Old 18th May 2017, 04:41 AM   #39
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th May 2017, 04:43 AM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I voted yes, but it is dependent on a few things.

1) The Comey memos are real and at least as explosive as they have been claimed to be if not more so.

2) The GOP growing a Backbone and deciding that they can live with President Pence.

As to the what for, I suspect that should 1) be confirmed, it'd going to be for obstruction of Justice.
But in this new age you expect that from a president just like you expect an attorney general to commit perjury.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics