ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: Is a Trump impeachment likely?
Yes, expect to see it happen sometime in the near future. 38 31.15%
No, Trump is safe(for now) 46 37.70%
Don't know 18 14.75%
On planet X Trump will dissolve Congress fire everyone and declare himself POTUS for life 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 18th May 2017, 04:45 AM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 39,517
Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Once Comey presents his memos then it would be all over for Trump. It was most bizarre that people believed a pathological liar could make America great.

Perhaps Trump will resign before impeachment and blame the Democrats.
Only in a partially reasonable world. Republicans will trash Comey and pass it off as a joke, despite this being contradictory.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:48 AM   #42
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 18,083
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Impeached for what?
__________________
'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.' - Richard Feynman
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:22 AM   #43
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 11,171
I have been really terrible at predicting Trump things, but I would say that Trump will be impeached sooner or later, unless Trump decides to cut out before such a thing were to happen (like his dead mentor Nixon did).
__________________
On 16 MAY 2017 Paul Bethke discussed some of the sexual prohibitions of his god regarding man-to-man sex acts and woman-to-woman sex acts: "So not only lesbian acts but also anal sex.."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11840580

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:27 AM   #44
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Right here!
Posts: 18,900
As long as Republicans control Congress, it is unlikely.
__________________
I've always believed that cluelessness evolved as an adaptation to allow the truly appalling to live with themselves. - G. B. Trudeau
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Kay, Men in Black.
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:28 AM   #45
Hungry81
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,469
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Impeached for what?
Hello I am prince Hungry81 from Nigeria. My father was King of Wakonda but was recently killed in an explosion while giving a speach at the famous Skovia accords. You may have seen about it on TV. Or other cinematics. My fathers enemies are using this opportunity to drive me into exile and take over. At the moment I have hundreds of millions of dollars in my secreet accounts that I can access if you help me. However I need your help. If you give me your help I can give you a fair percntage and give you a generous discount if you wish to purchase a bridge in London that I also own. God blesses you. All I need from you is....

Last edited by Hungry81; 18th May 2017 at 05:30 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:08 AM   #46
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,271
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Quote:
Impeached for what?
Hello I am prince Hungry81 from Nigeria. My father was King of Wakonda but was recently killed in an explosion while giving a speach at the famous Skovia accords. You may have seen about it on TV. Or other cinematics. My fathers enemies are using this opportunity to drive me into exile and take over. At the moment I have hundreds of millions of dollars in my secreet accounts that I can access if you help me. However I need your help. If you give me your help I can give you a fair percntage and give you a generous discount if you wish to purchase a bridge in London that I also own. God blesses you. All I need from you is....


Masterful.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:36 AM   #47
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 22,360
I think an eventual one is likely, but not an immediate one. The problem is a Republican Congress who backed him for president, and the president's own supporters who may punish unfaithful and unloyal Republican Congresspeoples.

The Republicans have made their bed and they will spend a few more years worrying about what their man has done this time. It's a kind of purgatory that they, if not anyone else, fully deserve.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:46 AM   #48
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 54,943
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If Hillary can survive Benghazi and the e-mails, Trump can survive this.

Depending, of course, on just what "this" turns out to be. I don't think anyone really knows yet.
The two you note were both pointless idiot talking points, not real malfeasance. Without Fox and related feeding republickers their daily load of **** sandwiches and poison pills neither would have gone anywhere.

There was no there there!!!! With Trumpf the there is blindingly clear and bright.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 18th May 2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: removed noticed big O where one had no business being!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:48 AM   #49
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 54,943
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Impeached for what?
I like the "for being a flaming mother raping anti-US scum bucket with delusions"
offense!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #50
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,209
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You're so cute.
Evidence?
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #51
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 54,943
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I agree with this, with the exception that Trump has no balls.

(Metaphorically, of course.)

Trump's narcissism won't let him get into a position where he loses, so he'll do what he always does in these situations and declare a strategic bankruptcy with a premise of a rigged system and forces conspiring against him.

On the other hand, and here I hope I'm wrong, this Republican-run House will never impeach a Republican President. This isn't the 70s. Integrity is a thing of the past. Party before county.
And perfectly accurate as this **** started with Reagan and the party giving up being Republicans by joining with the (IM) moral majority right wing xtian fools!!!!! And thus turning into fools:aka republickers.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:53 AM   #52
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,209
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I like the "for being a flaming mother raping anti-US scum bucket with delusions"
offense!!!

Not a high crime, or misdemeanor
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:09 AM   #53
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,283
I don't believe there is really anything to impeach about. If all Comey's memo says is that Trump said "Flynn's a good guy, I hope you can let this go," then I don't think that's enough. If there is more direct evidence of obstruction in the memos, then maybe there's something there but it also brings up the idea that if Comey thought there was obstruction going on, he had a duty to report it when it was happening.

I've heard the theory that obstruction would be evidenced by Trump firing Comey, however, McCabe very clearly said that the investigation was not impeded by this. I guess maybe you could make the case that it was Trump's intention to impede the investigation, however Rosenstein, the same guy who called for Special Counsel, did write a memo to Trump recommending the removal of Comey. It isn't so clear cut.

If he's going to be impeached, it will have to be for something we don't know about yet, like there's evidence he actually colluded with Russia, took bribes, etc. But that's going to take awhile to develop now that there is Special Counsel investigating.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:19 AM   #54
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,271
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Evidence?
See, even you don't believe it.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:33 AM   #55
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,971
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
it also brings up the idea that if Comey thought there was obstruction going on, he had a duty to report it when it was happening.
I see this being claimed a lot. Who exactly did he have a duty to report it to?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 08:13 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,297
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At the current stage, I see the investigation expose the entire administration plus Paul Ryan to be criminally tainted, forcing everyone with a shred to decency to resign.

So no, Trump will stay until the 2018 elections.
So no resignations then.....
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 09:47 AM   #57
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,283
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I see this being claimed a lot. Who exactly did he have a duty to report it to?
18 USC Section 4

Obstruction being a felony, Comey would have had an obligation to report it to a judge, the Attorney General or some other authority. I guess it remains possible that he did indeed report it but in that case it seems odd that we wouldn't have heard about it already; I mean, there's your impeachable offense right there.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:01 AM   #58
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
18 USC Section 4

Obstruction being a felony, Comey would have had an obligation to report it to a judge, the Attorney General or some other authority. I guess it remains possible that he did indeed report it but in that case it seems odd that we wouldn't have heard about it already; I mean, there's your impeachable offense right there.
He's a law enforcement officer. He knows there are ongoing investigations. If you think every crime committed is instantly brought to a judge's attention then you are wrong. It would be like not busting a small crime or small offense or maybe just waiting for more conclusive evidence.
__________________
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:07 AM   #59
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,209
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
See, even you don't believe it.
I believe I'm cute.
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:24 AM   #60
portlandatheist
Master Poster
 
portlandatheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,674
I voted no simply because of the "for now" clause. With all the evidence so far, I think he can weather the storm for the time being. However, I don't think he'll make it through four years. He can't help but create more and more enemies and make more and more blunders. Who knows what these investigations will dig up? We'll have to wait to see what this investigation digs up and also wait to see who he pisses off and what other laws he will break in the future. He's a continuous accident waiting to happen. I think the good news is that most of his ridiculous agenda is in jeopardy but the bad news is that if we have some major crisis, we may be stuck with the worst possible captain at the helm.
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:28 AM   #61
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,271
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I believe I'm cute.
Evidence?
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:30 AM   #62
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,824
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
18 USC Section 4

Obstruction being a felony, Comey would have had an obligation to report it to a judge, the Attorney General or some other authority. I guess it remains possible that he did indeed report it but in that case it seems odd that we wouldn't have heard about it already; I mean, there's your impeachable offense right there.
From the link
Quote:
Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
Care to explain what the highlite means?
__________________
I don't believe in God and all the rest outside of methodological naturalism But I am a cognitive and ethical relativist/subjectivist and skeptic.
#JeSuisAhmed
Tommy Jeppesen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:31 AM   #63
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,841
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
18 USC Section 4

Obstruction being a felony, Comey would have had an obligation to report it to a judge, the Attorney General or some other authority. I guess it remains possible that he did indeed report it but in that case it seems odd that we wouldn't have heard about it already; I mean, there's your impeachable offense right there.
I'm not sure about this, but I think he IS an authority.

At some point, he would prepare a report if he had reason to believe a crime was being committed and pass it to the AG.

People are talking about obstruction of justice as if there's an open and shut case here. Not only is the case not open and shut, it's barely open. Based on what we know publicly, Trump hasn't committed a crime.

On the other hand, there's a lot we don't know, and depending on what else we may find out, there could be a crime involved.

Obstruction of justice is one of those things, like perjury, that is often misunderstood. Not every lie told under oath is perjury. Not every failure to cooperate, or even interfere with, an investigation, is obstruction of justice.

I don't think Trump is capable of following the law for four years, and he may have already violated it, but let's not jump the gun on charging him. There's time.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:43 AM   #64
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 25,275
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't think Trump is capable of following the law for four years, and he may have already violated it, but let's not jump the gun on charging him. There's time.
Plenty of time.

Originally Posted by The Tubes: White Punks On Dope
Hang myself when I get enough rope
Can't clean up, though I know I should
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:52 AM   #65
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,643
At this point, I'd like to think so, but...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:04 AM   #66
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,036
Not gonna happen. Until Republican congresscritters start putting honesty ahead of partisanship, he's safe.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:11 AM   #67
bytewizard
Graduate Poster
 
bytewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the woods
Posts: 1,646
Zero chance of impeachment AND conviction. It's more likely Trump will stroke out or be assassinated.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:26 AM   #68
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,464
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Not gonna happen. Until Republican congresscritters start putting honesty ahead of partisanship, he's safe.
Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"

Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:28 AM   #69
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,271
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Seriously though? You followed that with total nonsense.

Tell me, what positive thing has Trump done that should have earned him accolades from the members here?
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:33 AM   #70
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 29,907
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Donald Trump is despised because he is, in no way, fit to be President. He demonstrates this on an almost daily basis. We've had decades of exposure to Donald Trump and he is acting pretty much true to form.

Why paint opposition to him as if it were irrational?
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"You are the herp to my derp" -- bit_pattern
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:36 AM   #71
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Right here!
Posts: 18,900
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"

Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
The reason Trump is so despised is because he would never address world poverty and any other progressive agenda item. When he actually does something along those lines then we can discuss it.

Plus everything that has happened to Trump since he was sworn in has been of his own doing. As the saying goes, "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
__________________
I've always believed that cluelessness evolved as an adaptation to allow the truly appalling to live with themselves. - G. B. Trudeau
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Kay, Men in Black.
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:43 AM   #72
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 11,171
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
... snipped for relevance ...

Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Just to focus on the last bit of your posting, I would say that you are quite wrong.

If Trump actually did do something positive, then he would generate positive support. However, Trump has yet to do anything positive.

In fact, about the only thing that I can think of that he has done which is even remotely positive is where he provided a couple of hundred million dollars in tax breaks to the Carrier Company so that they would keep a couple hundred jobs here in America.

I would say that the deal he made was more of bribe than a deal, and it was a bad bribe at that.
__________________
On 16 MAY 2017 Paul Bethke discussed some of the sexual prohibitions of his god regarding man-to-man sex acts and woman-to-woman sex acts: "So not only lesbian acts but also anal sex.."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11840580

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:49 AM   #73
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 11,171
I noticed that no one else has posted this particular news item regarding a Trump impeachment, so I will do so now ...

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-impeac...h-comey-611015

TRUMP IMPEACHMENT ODDS: PRESIDENT NOT LIKELY TO SERVE FOUR YEARS, ACCORDING TO BOOKMAKERS

...

British betting company Ladbrokes has cut the price of a Trump impeachment to odds-on at 4-5 from 11-10. Those new odds equate to a 55.6 percent probability that the Senate will remove the president from office.

...
__________________
On 16 MAY 2017 Paul Bethke discussed some of the sexual prohibitions of his god regarding man-to-man sex acts and woman-to-woman sex acts: "So not only lesbian acts but also anal sex.."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11840580

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:50 AM   #74
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,827
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Donald Trump is despised because he is, in no way, fit to be President. He demonstrates this on an almost daily basis. We've had decades of exposure to Donald Trump and he is acting pretty much true to form.

Why paint opposition to him as if it were irrational?
Because it's easier than acknowledging that not only is it likely a criminal that needs to be impeached, but it has done nothing particularly useful for its own supporters, let alone the entire nation. Defending it is, at virtually every level, the most empty of gestures; the only thing truly accomplished is making "liberals/progressives" angry, which for some I guess is a primary goal. It's too bad that it's apparently necessary to flush the quality of our government down the toilet to fully accomplish such a laudable goal.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:54 AM   #75
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,271
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Because it's easier than acknowledging that not only is it likely a criminal that needs to be impeached, but it has done nothing particularly useful for its own supporters, let alone the entire nation.
So it's a sunk cost issue as much as a partisan issue?
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 11:56 AM   #76
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,156
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
This whole presidenting thing is getting in the way of his cable news consumption and golfing schedule.
Is it, though? I think the job of President is a WHOLE lot easier than it normally would be if you're someone like Trump that doesn't worry about being informed or thinking of all the nuance and potential ramifications of everything. I think he has lots of time for watching television, playing golf, and being president.

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"
Well I can't really argue with that. And that's the one reason that I think they might impeach - I'm not betting on it, but it's possible that as the midterm approaches if this whirlwind of scandal continues they'll decide the only thing to do to protect themselves is to show that they're not with that guy.

Still unlikely, but possible.

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
I'd sure love to test that hypothesis. All we have to do is get Trump to do literally anything good, and we can see whether or not you're right.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:03 PM   #77
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,283
Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
From the link


Care to explain what the highlite means?
I think it's clear. In Comey's case, since he reports to the Director of National Intelligence, that would be the person to report to. I'm sure he could also report to the AG.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:07 PM   #78
Tony Stark
Philosopher
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9,626
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"

Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Um, no, if Trump somehow magically became the most competent leader in world history, people would change their opinion of him.

But Trump is a very, very bad leader. He is extremely incompetent, ignorant, stupid, and dishonest. Plus he's a freaking Republican who's trying to **** over poor people so that rich people can get richer.

Trump has earned every single bit of hate that he gets. Actually, he deserves way more. It being as high as it is (like 40%) is proof that there is something deeply wrong with America.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:07 PM   #79
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,036
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Don't just single out the republicans. The first thing that any politician will think of before voting either way on an impeachment issue is, "Is my seat safe?"
I single out the Republicans because they hold the majority in both houses and literally nothing can happen unless Republican leadership approves it.

Quote:
Seriously though, this is just another straw to clutch at. Donald Trump is so despised in this forum that he could solve world poverty and implement every progressive agenda in the book and everybody here would still be saying "hang him!"
Well, when he accomplishes something so noteworthy, do let us know so we can evaluate your prediction.

Meanwhile, the policies Trump wants to implement would adversely affect me and people I care about, so I can't bring myself to be all that bothered by the "waaaah you just hate Trump" argument.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 12:12 PM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Not gonna happen. Until Republican congresscritters start putting honesty ahead of partisanship, he's safe.
ROFLMAO. That is never going to happen.

But they will remove a tumor from their party.
__________________
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.