ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges , Portland incidents , Portland issues , protest incidents , protest issues

Old 4th August 2020, 02:19 PM   #761
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
If those beliefs promote anarchy and marxism, yeah. Whenever commies or anarchists take power it always leads to mass deaths so you're preventing the greater evil. The principle "justification of force" applies here.
You have not answered either of my questions. Would you mind trying again?

Quote:
Also these are rioters not peaceful protesters, or as CNN says it "peaceful rioters."
Again, you are conflating the two into one. The majority of protesters are peaceful. There are a number of opportunistic rioters and looters, but you do not know their affiliation. These people exist in every protest.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 06:06 PM   #762
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Example of the latter: How many people continue to feign confusion over what 'covfefe' was supposed to be, and pretend that it is evidence of Trump being dumb rather than a run-of-the-mill typo with an auto-correct fail?.
In order to make that claim you have to know the word he was attempting to write but did a typo. What was he intending to write? How would auto-correct insert a word that is not in its dictionary?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 08:18 PM   #763
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

...Example of the latter: How many people continue to feign confusion over what 'covfefe' was supposed to be, and pretend that it is evidence of Trump being dumb rather than a run-of-the-mill typo with an auto-correct fail?....
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
In order to make that claim you have to know the word he was attempting to write but did a typo. What was he intending to write? How would auto-correct insert a word that is not in its dictionary?
Not to mention Trump doubled down and feigned that he meant it and people in the know understood the secret message.

Did he mean coffee? covfefe

That's more than a ******* typo. That's falling asleep on the john while Tweeting. Or something similar.

Anyone with half a brain that wasn't in the throes of pathologic narcissism would have said they were working late into the night and fell asleep with phone in hand.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th August 2020 at 08:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:14 PM   #764
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Partisans on both sides will justify the falsehoods of their party with about equal zeal.
Generally speaking... this is both false and misleading. False, for example, can be easily justified by looking at the value differences and general behavior differences between self-identified liberals and conservatives and comparing the party distribution of such. Of particular note, self-identified conservatives tend to value loyalty as highly as they value truth on average. Self-identified liberals value truth (and fairness) very highly, but not loyalty, on the other hand. Misleading because the Republican Party pumps out brazen lies, many of them rather huge, like crazy with virtually no backlash from Republicans, while there tends to be notable backlash among Democrats when Democrats are caught intentionally lying.

Example of the first: How much effort was put into justifying Obama's promise that if you liked your current coverage you would be able to keep it?
Some. The situation there wasn't quite as straight-forward as you seem to suggest, though. This probably isn't the best place to go into depth to address all aspects of such, though.

Example of the latter: How many people continue to feign confusion over what 'covfefe' was supposed to be, and pretend that it is evidence of Trump being dumb rather than a run-of-the-mill typo with an auto-correct fail?
For most, I doubt that it's feigned, first of all, given that most people are unlikely to have followed what happened with any attention, and second, I get the impression that you don't remember what led to covfefe getting as much attention as it did with your rather incorrect looking description of what happened. To poke at SG for a moment -

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not to mention Trump doubled down and feigned that he meant it and people in the know understood the secret message.

Did he mean coffee? covfefe

That's more than a ******* typo. That's falling asleep on the john while Tweeting. Or something similar.

Anyone with half a brain that wasn't in the throes of pathologic narcissism would have said they were working late into the night and fell asleep with phone in hand.
I don't believe that SG is feigning here, for example.

Still, the really short version is that in the wee hours of the morning, Trump sent out a half-formed tweet. "Despite the negative covfefe," and it just stayed up for hours before being deleted. "Coverage" is fairly certainly the word that it was supposed to be, but "run of the mill typo with auto-correct fail" being all that happened is pretty much a nonsensical claim given the circumstances. The amused assumption that Trump had fallen asleep on the toilet mid tweet was rather commonplace and was frequently part of the "funny mistake" kind of coverage - not really a "Trump is dumb" story. Trump made the story bigger with a later tweet asking people to speculate more and Spicer, of course, made it much worse with the claim that it actually did mean something to the people in the know. So, "covfefe" without proper context beyond that Trump had said it spread quite a lot, in fair part because of Trump and his Administration, so it's really no surprise that there's lots of honest confusion - and that your attempt to blame it getting as much attention as it has on Democratic partisans is notably off base.

There's quite a bit of study in the fields of psychology and sociology that touch on this element of tribalism. Some of it is confirmation bias, some of it is gate-keeping of information, some of it is attribution of intent, some of it is the illusion of asymmetric insight. It's a well-established behavioral pattern in humans.

Don't be misled into thinking that "the other side" does any of these things "worse" or "more often" than your own side does. It's what humans do when they have a strong sense of resonance with a given identity. It's not unique to any group; it's part and parcel of group dynamics of all sorts.
Bad assumptions alert! If you think that self-identified liberals (who primarily lean towards Democrat) have anywhere close to the same sense of resonance with the label "Democrat" that self-identified conservatives (who have much more sway in the Republican Party) have with the label "Republican," then you are deluding yourself. Again, that "loyalty" factor has a rather notable role to play here, among a fair few other things. If all things were equal, you would be correct. However, all things are NOT equal, and wishing that they are equal to make things more pleasant for oneself merely makes it easier to let one fall into pretty much the same motivated reasoning type of mistake that you're attempting to warn about.

You know... it's possible to recognize it as trolling while simultaneously not approving of it. Honestly, that kind of sums up my entire view of trolling irrespective of the venue: it's probably not intended seriously but I still don't approve of it.
It is indeed possible to recognize something as trolling and not approve of it. I dare to say that that is the appropriate action, generally speaking. The very unfortunate thing that needs stressed here, though, is that a rather remarkable and depressing portion of Trump's supporters have outright stated that what they think is his trolling is one of the main things that they like about Trump and that that is a notable part of why they support him.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Portland and Seattle are indeed quite blue. People trying to paint this as a Trump problem are way off base. Big city democrats have a long and proud history of running quite brutal police departments, and voting "blue" is no cure to these thuggish cops.
Unfortunately true.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th August 2020 at 10:28 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:21 PM   #765
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
They are literally out there protecting you from getting killed and getting bottles, rocks, explosives, bleach, and urine thrown at them in return.
********. When they respond with calm, the vast majority of people behave - and will actually be hostile to the few that want to break windows and act a fool. When they act as a goon squad attacking and kidnapping random people, they get fireworks (which I object to - it can trigger PTSD in people that have spent weeks getting explosives, flaming canisters of noxious gas, and rubber bullets fired at them), rocks, and lasers fired back. We've seen this every time - unlike mostly white students flipping cars, breaking windows, and setting fires over a game or pumpkins some some other foolishness, where cops stand there watching.

Y'all always say "act like a thug, get treated like a thug", but we know ya'll really mean "******* deserve what they get."

Last edited by Mumbles; 4th August 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM   #766
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Partisans on both sides will justify the falsehoods of their party with about equal zeal.
...no. Not even close. Liberals and Dems are way more likely, for better and worse, at eating their own when they say the wrong thing, or even just the politically incorrect thing, or, heck, these days, even when they say something innocuous that could be interpreted the wrong way, or use some word deemed taboo by some echo chamber minority group or another. I also see way more concern about optics from the Dems, where with Republicans, trumpkins especially, it seems to be more knee-jerk defense or whataboutisms, or outright glee that this will "trigger the libs".

Perhaps in some hypothetical future, you could have a Democrat party Trump equivalent. As in, a candidate who lied as much as Trump, had an equal disregard for decency and peoples' needs and feelings, and just seemed to be out to sow as much discontent and polarization as possible. These days? No chance.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I don't know what you meant to say, but I'm going to go out on a limb and second that.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Y'all always say "act like a thug, get treated like a thug", but we know ya'll really mean "******* deserve what they get."
They also conveniently forget that this goes both ways. Act like a corrupt, out of control police force, or a gang of stormtroopers from some dictatorship, get treated like one in return.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; Yesterday at 04:21 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #767
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
They are literally out there protecting you from getting killed and getting bottles, rocks, explosives, bleach, and urine thrown at them in return.

It's a sad low that America has sunken to right now.

Buying them a gift card or a lunch to let them know that there are still people who care about this country and the ideals it stands for, and don't just want to burn it down is a good thing I think.
There I was, alone, at night, walking the mean streets. When out of the shadows, a man approached. It was horrible. He was holding a stereo above his head, menacingly. I thought for sure my life was over, imagine my fright!

The, like a bolt of lightning, a rubber bullet cracked his skull and he dropped. The cops had saved me from this vandal. My heroes. The cop mussed my hair affectionately as I give his boot a vigorous licking in gratitude. BACK THE BLUE BABY.

I notice the police apologists keep speaking in generalities about police violence, not wanting to defend the very specific and numerous examples coming out of these protests.

Explain to me how giving a man a traumatic brain injury and permanent disability for the severe and dangerous crime of protesting and holding a stereo above his head is keeping me safe? How is shooting out the eye of a photojournalist keeping me safe? How is nameless, faceless goons snatching people off the streets, only to release them the next day without explanation or charge a legitimate exercise of law enforcement?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; Yesterday at 05:49 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #768
Mader Levap
Muse

As usual, when one see this kind of comment, one sees commenter supporting side that generates more falsehoods. Shift blame, dilute blame.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #769
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Coverage. It was coverage. The auto-correct failure is in failing to correct it to coverage.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; Yesterday at 10:49 AM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #770
Belz...
Fiend God

Coffee. It was coffee. The auto-correct failure is in failing to correct it to coffee.
It makes no sense in the context of the tweet. "Despite the constant negative press coffee"?

ETA: Ok you changed it to coverage, which now makes sense... though one has to ask how you managed to write coffee in the first place. In any case his tweet was incomplete. And how the **** did he manage to write "covfefe" one way or another?

Last edited by Belz...; Yesterday at 10:55 AM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #771
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
As usual, when one see this kind of comment, one sees commenter supporting side that generates more falsehoods. Shift blame, dilute blame.
Where have I done this? Or are you merely assuming that I must have done so?
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #772
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It makes no sense in the context of the tweet. "Despite the constant negative press coffee"?

ETA: Ok you changed it to coverage, which now makes sense... though one has to ask how you managed to write coffee in the first place. In any case his tweet was incomplete. And how the **** did he manage to write "cofveve" one way or another?
Yes, my brain failed. I corrected it as soon as I re-read it, but... damage done.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #773
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Yes, my brain failed. I corrected it as soon as I re-read it, but... damage done.
I find having a cup of coverage coffee helps wake my brain.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #774
Armitage72
Illuminator

And he won't let it go. When a racehorse named Covfefe won the Breeder's Cup in November of last year, the media Tweeted about the win with a reference to the misspelling, and Trump felt obligated to respond, still suggesting that it wasn't an error.

Quote:
A horse named “Covfefe” won a Breeder’s Cup event at Santa Anita today. Named after President Trump’s famous mistweet, she has now won six of her first eight races.
Quote:
Great! But how do you know it was a “mistweet?” May be something with deep meaning!
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #775
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Coverage. It was coverage. The auto-correct failure is in failing to correct it to coverage.
So covfefe was supposed to be "coverage"?

I repeat my same comment, that is not a typo. Best explanation is he fell asleep while Tweeting managing to hit send as he dozed off. There are other explanations, a typo is not one of them.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #776
Emily's Cat

I repeat my same comment, that is not a typo. Best explanation is he fell asleep while Tweeting managing to hit send as he dozed off. There are other explanations, a typo is not one of them.
What constitutes a typo to you?
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #777
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Are you familiar with touch screen keyboards where you drag your finger across the screen to each letter rather than tap each letter separately? But... it's not always perfect, it's easy to screw up.

Suppose you wanted to type "coverage" You hit c-o-v. Now you've got to type e-r. How'd the f get there? How might you end up with an f-e-f-e? Well, look at your keyboard. Where's the f located? Right between the v you just typed and the e you're trying to type next. A bit of wiggle between the e and the f and you get fefe.

A typo is absolutely a possible explanation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #778
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Typing at speeed and aking a few mistakes with the words - especially on a phone where there's no feedback snd it often remembers previous typos.

-----------

Starting to tweet something and then forgetting about it and pressing send, then not noticing for several hours is *not* a conventional typo.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #779
Belz...
Fiend God

I think she means, as I said, that the tweet is incomplete and that the word is entirely mangled. "covrage" would be a typo. "Covfefe" is entirely different. And since it ended there, we can only assume Ginger's scenario is plausible.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #780
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well let's see.

Sometimes you type the wrong word like 'to to' when you mean to type 'it to', or even 'it is'. My fingers have a brain of their own. I often type 2 letters in reverse order.

Then there are common typos like teh. That one is so common we all know what word it refers to.

The wrong letter or a missing letter is a common typo.

Who types a string of wrong letters that are not coherent midway through a word and doesn't notice before hitting send?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #781
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Are you familiar with touch screen keyboards where you drag your finger across the screen to each letter rather than tap each letter separately? But... it's not always perfect, it's easy to screw up.

Suppose you wanted to type "coverage" You hit c-o-v. Now you've got to type e-r. How'd the f get there? How might you end up with an f-e-f-e? Well, look at your keyboard. Where's the f located? Right between the v you just typed and the e you're trying to type next. A bit of wiggle between the e and the f and you get fefe.

A typo is absolutely a possible explanation.
That explanation is even more far-fetched.

Do we even know what kind of phone/screen Trump has? Not that it makes your excuse any more plausible.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #782
Steve
Philosopher

Do we even know what kind of phone/screen Trump has? Not that it makes your excuse any more plausible.
When there are straws to be grasped in this forum you can be sure that someone will make the attempt.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #783
Emily's Cat

Who types a string of wrong letters that are not coherent midway through a word and doesn't notice before hitting send?
Me, with a touchscreen phone, on a pretty regular basis.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #784
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Trump uses an iphone for tweeting. iphones have Swipe Typing (their name for it) enabled by default.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #785
Steve
Philosopher

Trump uses an iphone for tweeting. iphones have Swipe Typing (their name for it) enabled by default.
You could be right. After all it is well known that Trump is a stickler for the proper use of English. His rare apparently odd language is very likely to be the result of mere typos.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #786
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You could be right. After all it is well known that Trump is a stickler for the proper use of English. His rare apparently odd language is very likely to be the result of mere typos.
Exactly, just like his way of talking...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #787
Aridas

Where have I done this? Or are you merely assuming that I must have done so?
Perhaps your record precedes you? Your choice of positions to espouse that I've seen has generally been one of attacking "partisan Democrats" (or defending Republicans) and generally with... poor arguments. Poor not because notable parts of the argument made are necessarily wrong directly, though, so much as that extremely relevant information that thoroughly undermines what you're pushing is conveniently left out - seemingly always in a way that ends up making <insert right-wing supported thing> appear much better or more reasonable than it is with that information included in your rendering.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 01:18 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #788
Aridas

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Portland and Seattle are indeed quite blue. People trying to paint this as a Trump problem are way off base. Big city democrats have a long and proud history of running quite brutal police departments, and voting "blue" is no cure to these thuggish cops.
To add to this -

Whistleblower: LA sheriff deputies threw party, got 'executioner' tattoos after shooting suspects

Quote:
ABC7 in Los Angeles has the details about the complaint filed by Deputy Art Gonzalez, which alleges absolutely repulsive behavior by members of the department. According to ABC7: “Deputy Gonzalez says that the ‘Executioner’ deputies celebrate shootings of citizens with tattoo parties, set illegal arrest quotas and retaliated against him when he reported one alleged ‘Executioner’ deputy for beating up a fellow deputy outside the patrol station earlier this year.”

Residents of Compton, including Mayor Aja Brown, say they have been victims of abusive behavior and illegal stops by the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Compton division for years. Just last year Brown says deputies pulled her over at gunpoint with her husband and infant in the car, saying that she’d run a red light, something she vehemently denied. Then they pulled her out of the car, searching her, her husband, and the car for drugs, all while her baby was crying.
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #789
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

They may have it enabled, but I don't see Trump using it. In the utterly unlikely event that he was we would be seeing far more typos than he already manages to generate.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #790
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They may have it enabled, but I don't see Trump using it. In the utterly unlikely event that he was we would be seeing far more typos than he already manages to generate.
To be fair, his phone has a relatively easy job since it only needs to recognise words from a much reduced vocabulary.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics