IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2018, 08:39 AM   #1
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Anyone want to come over and see my "Haunter Bookshelf"

Many years ago my Maternal Grandmother worked at a sanitarium for the insane in the Mason City area (1960's and 70's). I don't remember the name of it, except that it was named after a catholic saint. At one point they were remodeling and replacing the doors to one of the secure areas with something sturdier. Grandma asked if she could have the old doors and took them home once they were out. She then had a book self made from the doors. In 2015 she moved up here to the Twin Cities, where the family can take care of her (She's 97 now). In the last few months we've had to move her to long term care, after she broke her hip and my Mom had hip replacement as well (their doctor's were brothers). Consequently, we had to get rid of some of her larger furniture. I called dibs on the "Looney Bin Book Shelf" (as I call it) and it now sits in my living room. When I told some of my friends about it they said it must be haunted. While I don't believe this is true and nothing has happened around it to make me think otherwise, it makes a great conversation piece. I'm having a group of friends over to see it and possibly watch a horror movie on 9/1. If you are interested in joining us to see for yourself, send me a PM. Please note: I'm in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Why did your friend think it must be haunted?
Old 24th August 2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Drewbot
Philosopher

I know how these things work.

1. Invite people over to hang out with the haunted thing.
2. Suggest you try the ouija board.
3. Control the pointer to say scary things.
4. maybe do something with a string tied to a book or something and pull the book off the shelf during the ouija session.
5. Claim you are are really scared too!
6. When everyone leaves know that they got fooled. (Duper's Delight)
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it was to introduce your closest friends to an exciting business opportunity?
Old 24th August 2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I thought it was to introduce your closest friends to an exciting business opportunity?
What a sick mind you have.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 12:34 PM   #6
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Why did your friend think it must be haunted?
Because many of my friends (and I) watch a lot of horror movies and it sounds like the premise of one. We meet every couple of months and watch a couple and this time their coming to my place. I think we'll be watching Grizzly (Jaws with Claws) and/or Deathship this time.

There's only one person I know that may actually believe that it holds the spirits of the inmates. She also believes in Bigfoot and many other paranormal theories. (Sorry fellas, she's married)

It looks really cool. The sides have beveled glass with steel mesh.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
Because many of my friends (and I) watch a lot of horror movies and it sounds like the premise of one. We meet every couple of months and watch a couple and this time their coming to my place. I think we'll be watching Grizzly (Jaws with Claws) and/or Deathship this time.

There's only one person I know that may actually believe that it holds the spirits of the inmates. She also believes in Bigfoot and many other paranormal theories. (Sorry fellas, she's married)

A repurposed piece with a unique history is a great addition to any home. I just thought it odd that the ghosts of the mentally ill would be assumed to attach to woodwork or furnishings. Thought your friend might think they are a 'seer' or something.
Old 24th August 2018, 01:24 PM   #8
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

I'd love to come, but sadly the international travel makes it impractical! Have a great evening.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 02:39 PM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'd love to come, but sadly the international travel makes it impractical! Have a great evening.
Where's the telekinesis when you need it?
Old 25th August 2018, 01:18 PM   #10
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Where's the telekinesis when you need it?
I'm too busy using it to lose Old Janx Spirit drinking games to squander it on anything useful (or Buddha).

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2018, 09:45 PM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'm too busy using it to lose Old Janx Spirit drinking games to squander it on anything useful (or Buddha).
Old 25th August 2018, 10:00 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So post a picture already.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2018, 04:40 AM   #13
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Just a thumbs up to "Grizzly", I actually saw this at the movies, some 40 plus years ago. It's a ridiculously cheesy rip off of Jaws in just about every way possible. Dang, wish you were closer, sounds like a fun evening.
Old 26th August 2018, 06:54 AM   #14
fagin
Philosopher

Are your 'friends' now dismembered and in your freezer?
Old 26th August 2018, 12:40 PM   #15
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Just a thumbs up to "Grizzly", I actually saw this at the movies, some 40 plus years ago. It's a ridiculously cheesy rip off of Jaws in just about every way possible. Dang, wish you were closer, sounds like a fun evening.
When I proposed it as our movie for the night, one guy said "I've never seen it." I asked, "Have you seen Jaws?" "Yeah." "Then you've seen it." It has almost the exact same beats and plot points. It's such an obvious rip-off that you have to see it to believe it. Last time, we watched The Haunted House of Horror. The title alone is a touchdown for awfulness.
Old 26th August 2018, 02:20 PM   #16
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I went to college with one of the victims in this film.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2018, 03:44 PM   #17
fibbermcgee
Scholar

If you ever want to show the worst movie ever just check out EEGAH with Richard Kiel as a Caveman living in the hills of California in the 60's.
fibbermcgee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 04:35 PM   #18
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
CptColumbo,

I wanna see the bookcase. Can you post a picture of it?
Old 30th August 2018, 04:46 PM   #19
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I went to college with one of the victims in this film.
Please tell me it was the girl whose arm went shooting through the forest like a dart.
I've only seen it the one time at the movies and that image is still ingrained in my memory all these so many years later.

Last edited by Mike!; 30th August 2018 at 04:48 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2018, 07:07 AM   #20
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Shame. I'll be in Minneapolis on business in a few weeks but not on the 1st.

As others have said, I'd like to see it, though. Can you post pics, please?
Old 2nd September 2018, 05:39 PM   #21
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Here's a picture. The "design" on the glass on the sides is actually steel mesh. I collect board games and thought is was appropriate to have my Ouija board on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (66.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by CptColumbo; 2nd September 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2nd September 2018, 05:44 PM   #22
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Please tell me it was the girl whose arm went shooting through the forest like a dart.
I've only seen it the one time at the movies and that image is still ingrained in my memory all these so many years later.
I hope it's the female park ranger who went skinny dipping in the middle of a search.
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:47 PM   #23
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Here's a picture.

Thanks for posting the photo! Very nice bookcase.

It's good to have the steel mesh; it keeps the ghosts from escaping.

Edit -- I just noticed that the sword is edge-down. I thought they were supposed to be stored edge-up to keep the edge from harming the scabbard.

Last edited by xterra; 2nd September 2018 at 07:49 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2018, 03:32 AM   #24
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Is that a repro of the "Highlander - The Series" wakazashi?

Old 3rd September 2018, 06:02 AM   #25
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Is that a repro of the "Highlander - The Series" wakazashi?
Yes.
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:45 PM   #26
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Yes, she played Margaret, a hiker whose arm gets severed. Another classmate played a nurse in an early Cronenberg movie about the same time. I was a spear carrier in a college production with both of them in major roles but never went on to be in movies. I had an iron-clad rule about nude scenes, and no producer would give me one.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2018, 06:11 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here are my haunted bookshelves:

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:44 PM   #28
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

BTW We did watch Grizzly and, because I'm trying to watch all my movies in release order and I'm up to 1993, Hard Target. I started in 1931 with Dracula and M. I own 601 movies and I'm just past 1/3rd of the way through my collection. (I already watched Grizzly earlier in the year when I was in the 1976 and ironically right after The Bad News Bears).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal