IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ndes , obes

Old 5th August 2015, 10:01 AM   #281
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

We are electromanetic phenomena:

(Susan Pockett)
'Where' is the image in the mind? What 'space' is the image in your mind in? Where is the dream? Where is your inner voice? It's not the same spacetime then where the electrical and chemical pulses are in the brain, causing this image or the dream. The image you see in your mind's eye is in a completely different dimension than where the chemistry in the brain is. (Maarten Vergucht)

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 5th August 2015 at 10:04 AM.
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 10:06 AM   #282
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 View Post
That's a good question. In my opinion: you are the flow of electrons. Maybe 'electromagnetic radiation'. I don't have all the answers of course.

Susan pocket wrote a book about it.
https://cdn.auckland.ac.nz/assets/ps...Hypothesis.pdf
Quote:
The essence of the present hypothesis can be stated in one sentence. It is that
consciousness is identical with certain spatiotemporal patterns in the
electromagnetic field.
How would these patterns transfer to other bodies?
Old 5th August 2015, 10:22 AM   #283
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Have you already read the 119 pages? That's fast.
'Where' is the image in the mind? What 'space' is the image in your mind in? Where is the dream? Where is your inner voice? It's not the same spacetime then where the electrical and chemical pulses are in the brain, causing this image or the dream. The image you see in your mind's eye is in a completely different dimension than where the chemistry in the brain is. (Maarten Vergucht)
MaartenVergu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 10:23 AM   #284
Daylightstar
Philosopher

And how can these electromagnetic patterns exist without the brain which generated them?
Old 5th August 2015, 10:29 AM   #285
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Have you already read the 119 pages? That's fast.
I did pick up on the unsubstantiated non sequitur where the magnetic field 'as a whole', whatever that means, pervades the entire universe.

It's similar to Sheldrakes irrational morphic resonance idea.

Standard woo thinking.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:29 AM   #286
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

Every 'electromagnetic field'-generator can generate consciousness, is a logical conclusion. It doesn't have to be a brain.

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 5th August 2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:31 AM   #287
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Every 'electromagnetic field'-generator can generate consciousness, is a logical conclusion.
Quite obviously a non sequitur.

And an insult to the consciousness believer to boot
Old 5th August 2015, 10:35 AM   #288
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Every 'electromagnetic field'-generator can generate consciousness, is a logical conclusion. ...
I suppose you have named all your electric appliances.

Here's Shirley, she makes me coffee.
Here's my electric razor which I call Hairy Harry.

Old 5th August 2015, 10:36 AM   #289
MaartenVergu
Illuminator

That's what I believe, based on the evidence presented in the book of Susan Pockett.
I believe that we are patterns in the electromagnetic field. That's what we are. Nothing more, nothing less.
You, Daylightstar, are some pattern in the elctromagnetic field generated by the brain. That's your true nature.

Last edited by MaartenVergu; 5th August 2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:36 AM   #290
Daylightstar
Philosopher

That's what I believe, based on the evidence presented in the book of Susan Pockett.
I believe that we are patterns in the electromagnetic field. That's what we are. Nothing more, nothing less.
So, no bodies then?
Old 5th August 2015, 10:43 AM   #291
Daylightstar
Philosopher

You, Daylightstar, are some pattern in the elctromagnetic field generated by the brain. That's your true nature.
Hilited added portion after original reply.

I am my body, brain and all my processes combined.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:50 AM   #292
Daylightstar
Philosopher

I believe that we are patterns in the electromagnetic field. That's what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. ...
Where, according to you, is memory stored, in the brain or in the electromagnetic field patterns of the brain?
Old 5th August 2015, 12:03 PM   #293
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Your awareness, your feelings: that's you. You are not your body. That's not so difficult to understand, isn't it?
Without my body, I was nothing, and shall return to nothing when it's gone.

How difficult is that to understand?

Unless you have an example of consciousness without a brain?

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 12:13 PM   #294
asydhouse
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I thought it was a well known fact that the observer affects what is being observed? How does that fit in with the mustard seed analogy?

How do you explain Pi? A number should be finite but Pi is infinite.

This is a common misunderstanding of what the quantum theory actually says: the word "observer" is the culprit, and Fritjof Capra's promulgation of this confusion in his book The Tao of Physics in the 1970s provided new age charlatans with an apparent authority from which to run with a completely false understanding of the facts.

The fact is that an observation is supposedly what collapses the wave function of a quantum system into a definite state. The "observation" is simply a measurement or a sampling, and this can be taken by a mechanical tool such as a camera. No conscious "observer" need be present at all. The whole thing can be an automated process, and the data thus collected can be analysed by a computer.

It is not an observer which determines the state of the system, it is an observation, or simply a recording by a machine. There is no requirement for any consciousness anywhere in the set up.

All this only applies to quantum systems. Anything larger than a subatomic particle is too big for these quantum effects to manifest.

What's more, the camera or whatever does not actually determine anything about what the system collapses into. There is no "affecting" anything in the sense you and the new age buffoons/charlatans are trying to believe: the fantasy that a person can cause any sort of change in the world by using their mind to think about it is exactly nothing more than a fantasy at best, and a scam perpetrated on the ignorant and gullible by charlatans selling mystical healing etc.
Old 5th August 2015, 01:59 PM   #295
Darwin123
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I suppose you have named all your electric appliances.

Here's Shirley, she makes me coffee.
Here's my electric razor which I call Hairy Harry.

His wife ran off with their vibrator!
Darwin123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 02:29 PM   #296
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darwin123 View Post
His wife ran off with their vibrator!
Must have happened before the relationship started. He doesn't have a wife.
Perhaps the appliance in question was called Antonio or Valentino
Old 5th August 2015, 05:29 PM   #297
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's a well known oversimplification of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle that causes much misunderstanding, actually.

Rational numbers are finite, irrational numbers are infinite. The word 'should' is inapplicable.
My understanding is that the more you try to isolate a particle the less you will be able to measure it's momentum. If you look at it's momentum then it becomes a part of a wave pattern.

Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter. It's a finite quantity yet it is infinite, which makes it irrational.......if numbers can be irrational then any theory based on mathematics has a potential for being inadequate in it's description.

My point here is that science is not a neat little package with pat answers. The conclusion that anything not proven by science simply doesn't exist is not a valid claim.

Last edited by Jodie; 5th August 2015 at 05:32 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 07:34 PM   #298
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter. It's a finite quantity yet it is infinite, which makes it irrational.......if numbers can be irrational then any theory based on mathematics has a potential for being inadequate in it's description.
So your issue is that there is a definition and that pi fits that definition?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 07:42 PM   #299
Jodie
Philosopher

My issue is that there are irrational numbers at all. A number represents a quantity and that should be finite when dividing.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 07:44 PM   #300
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I did pick up on the unsubstantiated non sequitur where the magnetic field 'as a whole', whatever that means, pervades the entire universe.

It's similar to Sheldrakes irrational morphic resonance idea.

Standard woo thinking.
Look up Electric Universe. Or don't. Either you want to actually learn or you don't. Your choice. ETA: Apologies - I quoted this for Martenn, not referring to you and noting what I first noted at the front of this post...........

Last edited by fuelair; 5th August 2015 at 07:48 PM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 07:45 PM   #301
fuelair
Banned

We are electromanetic phenomena:
http://i60.tinypic.com/ziu80k.jpg
(Susan Pockett)
As to the last on that Puckett chart, no.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 07:51 PM   #302
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
As to the last on that Puckett chart, no.
Yea - looks like I have to worry about my electrical outlet being conscious.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 07:52 PM   #303
fuelair
Banned

Every 'electromagnetic field'-generator can generate consciousness, is a logical conclusion. It doesn't have to be a brain.
No. First, please state clearly how your first seven words lead to your next four. Subtle hint: they do not do such in any way.
Old 5th August 2015, 08:33 PM   #304
EHocking
Philosopher

My issue is that there are irrational numbers at all. A number represents a quantity and that should be finite when dividing.
BY your definition then, 10 is a finite number. So too is the number 3.

If I divide 10 by 3 what finite number should be the answer?

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2015, 09:04 PM   #305
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
BY your definition then, 10 is a finite number. So too is the number 3.

If I divide 10 by 3 what finite number should be the answer?
If you divide 10 people into 3 groups you will have 3 and 1/3 people in each group.

Numbers are symbols for quantities, quantities are finite.
Old 5th August 2015, 11:07 PM   #306
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
If you divide 10 people into 3 groups you will have 3 and 1/3 people in each group.

Numbers are symbols for quantities, quantities are finite.
1/3 is irrational: .3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 333333333333333333333333333333333333333....etc.

What is 1/3 of a person?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 12:14 AM   #307
Daylightstar
Philosopher

... ETA: Apologies - I quoted this for Martenn, not referring to you and noting what I first noted at the front of this post...........
Old 6th August 2015, 12:18 AM   #308
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Not necessarily.
Old 6th August 2015, 01:02 AM   #309
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Why?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 01:50 AM   #310
Innocuous
Scholar

Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter. It's a finite quantity yet it is infinite, which makes it irrational.......
Pi is greater than 3 but less than 4. In what way is it infinite?
Innocuous is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 08:08 AM   #311
steenkh
Philosopher

What evidence is she presenting?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 08:43 AM   #312
The Moog
Critical Thinker

Its a funny argument. People also emit hot air; does this now mean that hot air is people?
The Moog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 11:23 AM   #313
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
Its a funny argument. People also emit hot air; does this now mean that hot air is people?
Peophole, perhaps.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 11:35 AM   #314
Belz...
Fiend God

I think for most things the scientific method works wonderfully but I'm not sure how you can definitively say that it is the last word on whether something exists or doesn't exist.
This betrays a deep ignorance of what science, existence and logic are.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 05:00 PM   #315
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
I sometimes feel certain that some people are simply brainfarts - or just farts. Which, of course, are hot air.....
Old 6th August 2015, 05:16 PM   #316
fuelair
Banned

Honest, there is no truth in that statement. Nor is there any logic in it.

If it helps, reflexive actions (reactions) do not require a brain and are not conscious.
Old 6th August 2015, 05:40 PM   #317
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Quote:

Why?
Exactly.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2015, 08:13 PM   #318
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
1/3 is irrational: .3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 333333333333333333333333333333333333333....etc.

What is 1/3 of a person?
About 30-60 pounds.
Old 6th August 2015, 08:17 PM   #319
fuelair
Banned

I sometimes feel certain that some people are simply brainfarts - or just farts. Which, of course, are hot air.....
As may be found in a Dutch Oven.......http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=dutch%20oven

Old 6th August 2015, 09:11 PM   #320
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
nm
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal