ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia cases , Australia incidents , dingoes , Lindy Chamberlain , murder cases

Old 12th June 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Lindy Chamberlain exonerated - a dingo did it.

I couldn't understand the hatred of her at the time. A dingo is a wild dog, they eat things.

When the forensic evidence came up saying that there were holes in their story, I accepted the evidence, but wasn't completely convinced.

When it turned out the forensic evidence was pile of horse ****, I accepted that too.

What I don't get is why, even before the crap forensics, people hated her so much.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/co...612-207qy.html

Quote:
Harmer today said she was ashamed of herself after she performed a stand-up comedy routine in the 1980s that posed the question: "What if they made Lindy Chamberlain The Musi-cal?"
As part of the performance, she re-wrote The Association song "Everyone Knows It's Windy" to "Everyone Knows It's Lindy".
Advertisement: Story continues below
But in light of today's finding by the Northern Territory Deputy Coroner that Azaria Chamberlain was snatched by a dingo, Harmer said satire was no excuse for her comments.
"In pursuit of a laugh, I too carried a burning stick. What was I thinking?" she wrote.
"Such was the firestorm of hatred, all rationality was lost."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/co...#ixzz1xZPdR2Lc
It really was amazing, how much hatred there was.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

dingos and dresses

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
a_unique_person,

Thank you for the quote and link. I think some people objected to the fact that she wore a different dress each day to court. Strange why this should be taken as evidence of guilt.
Old 12th June 2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

I heard this earlier this morning. The thing that I could never comprehend was that while there was little or no evidence that the baby had been taken by a dingo, there was equally little or no evidence that Lindy killed her, and yet that was the conclusion that not only the public but the courts went with. Perhaps it was because the dingo story seemed less plausible, but the problem with that is that it was justice by false dilemma. Disproving or discounting one doesn't prove the other. There were other possibilities, too, such as the Azaria being abducted by another person at the camp, etc. Let's face it, just as much evidence for that, or aliens for that matter, as for anything else. I also never understood where the idea about Lindy slitting Azaria's throat with scissors came from. Did they just make that up? Every time I see that mentioned, there is never any hint as to how that originated.

How awful to not only have to deal with the uncertain disappearance and death of your child, but to have to spend four years in prison and to be vilified for the next 32 years of your life.

This whole case vividly illustrates the critically important need for EVIDENCE.

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Psi Baba; 12th June 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Malcolm Kirkpatrick
Banned

I couldn't understand the hatred of her at the time...It really was amazing, how much hatred there was.
Mob behavior. Rent "A Cry in the Dark" (1988) and watch a self-congratulatory media and an ambitious prosecutor use an attack on a member of an umpopular Christian sect to flatter themselves. There's a lot of that going around, still (consider the treatment of Sarah Palin, and what's going to happen to Mitt Romney).

Meryl Streep's portrayal of Lindy Chamberlin suggests one reason for the unsympathetic press teatment; she did not respond to the loss of her child as critics imagined a normal human would respond.

A Cry in the Dark
Fred Schepisi directs.
Photography, especially of landscapes, at the usual (very high) standard of Australian films and Australian directors (Peter Weir; Picnic at Hanging Rock, Witness; Bruce Beresford: Breaker Morant, Tender Mercies, Black Robe).
Schepisi also directed the beautiful and wrenching "The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith".
Malcolm Kirkpatrick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Wow, 30 years. What took them so long? It was established years ago that dingoes are dangerous, will attack and kill children.

I know they had been trying for this result for awhile. I'm sure they are relieved
Old 12th June 2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

scissors

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
I also never understood where the idea about Lindy slitting Azaria's throat with scissors came from. Did they just make that up? Every time I see that mentioned, there is never any hint as to how that originated.

How awful to not only have to deal with the uncertain disappearance and death of your child, but to have to spend four years in prison and to be vilified for the next 32 years of your life.

This whole case vividly illustrates the critically important need for EVIDENCE.
The forensic worker (Joyce Kuhl) thought that she had found blood on the scissors, but her methodology was flawed. There was also speculation that scissors had been used to cut Azaria's clothing. "When asked whether the scissors found in the car had been used to cut the jumpsuit during the testing, he admitted that they had not, as their first attempt to do so had caused the scissors to fall apart. They had in fact used a larger, sturdier pair of scissors."
Old 12th June 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

Sadder still is that she'll forever be thought of as a murderer by much of the populace regardless of any formal exoneration process. People don't change their minds very easily.

What's the deal with those dogs anyway? Are they like coyotes are here, vermin that you can kill when you find them?
Sir Robin Goodfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 12:43 PM   #9
anor277
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Sir Robin Goodfellow View Post
Sadder still is that she'll forever be thought of as a murderer by much of the populace regardless of any formal exoneration process. People don't change their minds very easily.

What's the deal with those dogs anyway? Are they like coyotes are here, vermin that you can kill when you find them?

After all this time and after all this evidence, I think the consensus is that she was entirely innocent and wrongfully imprisoned. The baby's elder brothers (4 and 6 yo at the time of her disappearance) had also been suspected (their early school years must have been quite unpleasant), and are now similarly (and very belatedly) regarded as innocent.

As for dingoes, they are protected in national parks, but elsewhere they would be shot on sight. (Note that I have read that 'modern' dingoes have a lot of feral dog in them; i.e. wild domestic dogs have interbred with them.)
anor277 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 01:29 PM   #10
George 152
Philosopher

The 'law' gets fixated upon a certain person and will go to any lengths to produce evidence to convict while hiding or even destroying evidence that may be proof of evidence..

Those who 'investigated' the crime (what ever it was) should have to serve the same amount of time in prison as their victim....
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 02:01 PM   #11
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I think part of it is that many people thought it a ridiculous scenario.

As if you told me right now in the USA that an opossum had carried off an infant.

The animal was not seen as capable of the act.

Everybody was wrong, as it happens, but the anger was because they thought this woman had concocted a ridiculous story.
Old 12th June 2012, 02:13 PM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A lot of Northern Territorians will always consider her a killer, but not so much in the more civilized parts of Australia

As for dingoes, they can make great pets.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Malcolm Kirkpatrick
Banned

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I think part of it is that many people thought it a ridiculous scenario. As if you told me right now in the USA that an opossum had carried off an infant. The animal was not seen as capable of the act.
Everybody was wrong, as it happens, but the anger was because they thought this woman had concocted a ridiculous story.
Maybe. I expect religious bigotry and mob piling-on had something to do with it. Dingos are medium-sized dogs (think, a lean Labrador retriever). A nine-week human infant might weigh ten pounds.
Malcolm Kirkpatrick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 02:55 PM   #14
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Malcolm Kirkpatrick View Post
Maybe. I expect religious bigotry and mob piling-on had something to do with it. Dingos are medium-sized dogs (think, a lean Labrador retriever). A nine-week human infant might weigh ten pounds.
Unaware of the religion angle; Were they Scientologists or some similar thing?
Old 12th June 2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I always believed it was the dingoes and I always felt sad for the mother.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th June 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 03:00 PM   #16
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Seventh Day Adventists. There was a ridiculous rumor published in the tabloids that "Azaria" meant "sacrifice in the wilderness" or something similar.

The religious angle played a part, but so equally did Lindy's cool, carm behavior to the media. She didn't play the hysterical, bereaved mother role expected of her. The hatred of her at the time was certainly media driven.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 03:08 PM   #17
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Dingo dingo

The religious angle got hashed out in another thread. IMHO bad forensic science deserves a significant share of the blame for the wrongful conviction.
Old 12th June 2012, 03:17 PM   #18
Draca
Graduate Poster

I think part of it is that many people thought it a ridiculous scenario.

As if you told me right now in the USA that an opossum had carried off an infant.

The animal was not seen as capable of the act.

I never understood why it was ridiculous though. I discussed this with an Aussie guy some years back and he said the dingo is a really small dog. He wasn't sure about the case, but he had a lot of his doubts because of the size of the dingo. We had golden retrievers that retrieved ducks. Some of those ducks were quite large and wouldn't have weighed that much less than a baby.

The dingo looks more like a coyote size to me. I don't see a baby's size being a real struggle for them.

Golden retievers seems to be about the same size.

Last edited by Draca; 12th June 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Draca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 03:39 PM   #19
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball View Post
Wow, 30 years. What took them so long? It was established years ago that dingoes are dangerous, will attack and kill children.

I know they had been trying for this result for awhile. I'm sure they are relieved
The sad fact is that it didn't, the first inquest shortly after the event came to the conclusion based on the evidence that a dingo had taken her. It wasn't until the incorrect forensic evidence was introduced that it became a murder. What was even sadder was that the third inquest judge didn't have the balls to do what this one has, and so left it as an open verdict. Now with evidence of over 200 dingo attacks since 1990, three of them fatal, this case can finally be laid to rest.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Robert2
Student

We now have the death certificate stated that a dingo took the baby. Truth took 32 years to be done. The first inquest stated clearly the TRUTH Yet the highly paid people of this world got this woman 3 years in prison.
It is time that these people paid for their errors instead of have the tax payer pay.

Last edited by Robert2; 12th June 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Robert2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 01:57 AM   #21
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Robert2 View Post
We now have the death certificate stated that a dingo took the baby. Truth took 32 years to be done. The first inquest stated clearly the TRUTH Yet the highly paid people of this world got this woman 3 years in prison.
It is time that these people paid for their errors instead of have the tax payer pay.
Couldn't agree more Robert2, and welcome to the forum. Aussie?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th June 2012, 02:07 AM   #22
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
We still live in a patriarchy. Women are hated for their sexual and reproductive power.

We need look no further than JREF to see people hating a young woman for her supposed crimes, even after she has been exonerated.
The first person I heard say that it wasn't a dingo, that the mother did it, (and this was right at the start, before the 'forensics' debacle), was a woman.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 02:17 AM   #23
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The first person I heard say that it wasn't a dingo, that the mother did it, (and this was right at the start, before the 'forensics' debacle), was a woman.
Same here. Lindy apparently didn't behave as a "real" bereaved mother should.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th June 2012, 02:23 AM   #24
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
We still live in a patriarchy. Women are hated for their sexual and reproductive power.

We need look no further than JREF to see people hating a young woman for her supposed crimes, even after she has been exonerated.
I don't understand, was it a female dingo?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 03:05 AM   #25
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A lot of Northern Territorians will always consider her a killer, but not so much in the more civilized parts of Australia

As for dingoes, they can make great pets.
Still true? I was living in Alice Springs when the event happened. I thought she did it at the time but no longer. Some things that made me believe that then were:

That the baby was carried out of a tent containing two other sleeping children.
That dingos were too wary of people (Fraser Island experiences tell us otherwise).
The forensic claims that Azaria's jumpsuit had been cut.
Suspicions raised about the finding of the jumpsuit.
The alleged blood splatter marks in the car that were explained at the time as the result of the Chamberlains picking up an accident Vitim. Later said to be sound deadening material spayed on the firewall.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 13th June 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 03:12 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Glad they've had the outcome that the evidence always seemed to support.

What I don't understand is why they've substituted a middle age woman in all the recent news clips. As far as I recall she's only a young person, I know this has taken a few years to get cleared-up but.... what 30 years ago? ... astonishing. What incredible tenacity they've shown.

One quick question as I can't remember - why was only the mother charged?
Old 13th June 2012, 03:20 AM   #27
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Michael was charged with being an accessory. Apparently, the police believed Lindy killed the baby as she reported seeing the dingo, when she in fact killed the baby. Michael claimed to see nothing.

No motive, no body, no weapon.......

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th June 2012, 03:20 AM   #28
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

What I don't understand is why they've substituted a middle age woman in all the recent news clips. As far as I recall she's only a young person, I know this has taken a few years to get cleared-up but.... what 30 years ago? ... astonishing. What incredible tenacity they've shown.

Michael was charged as an accessory. The prosecution shoehorned the murder into Lindy's 10-minute absence from the camp when she went to the car.
Old 13th June 2012, 04:22 AM   #29
jenspen
Critical Thinker

I couldn't understand the hatred of her at the time. A dingo is a wild dog, they eat things.

When the forensic evidence came up saying that there were holes in their story, I accepted the evidence, but wasn't completely convinced.

When it turned out the forensic evidence was pile of horse ****, I accepted that too.

What I don't get is why, even before the crap forensics, people hated her so much.

You have neatly described exactly what I thought when I thought about the matter at all. Perhaps Lindy Chamberlain's great crime was remaining stoical and psychologically strong in the face of almost universal misunderstanding and denigration.

I hope more of those who pursued and punished an innocent woman and her family will follow Wendy Harmer's example - those who are still alive 30 years on.
jenspen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 06:47 AM   #30
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball View Post

There were a number of complicating factors, besides the lack of desire on the part of the authorities to accept their mistakes.
There were a number of issues with the third inquest (which brought in an open verdict due to lack of evidence back in 1995) and the second inquest (murder) which may not have been compliant with the Coroners Acts.

Originally Posted by halides1 View Post
The forensic worker (Joyce Kuhl) thought that she had found blood on the scissors, but her methodology was flawed. There was also speculation that scissors had been used to cut Azaria's clothing. "When asked whether the scissors found in the car had been used to cut the jumpsuit during the testing, he admitted that they had not, as their first attempt to do so had caused the scissors to fall apart. They had in fact used a larger, sturdier pair of scissors."
Describing the forensics as "flawed" is, in my opinion, overly charitable; they were rubbish. The police failed to take control samples (which would have shown that one of their tests was utterly flawed) and destroyed samples, thus ensuring that their tests could not be examined properly.
Then there's the behaviour of James Cameron............
In my opinion (again) the destruction of the samples and plates used in testing denied the defense the ability to properly cross-examine the scientific evidence and should have lead to it being deemed inadmissible.

Ooop, already covered.

The religious angle got hashed out in another thread. IMHO bad forensic science deserves a significant share of the blame for the wrongful conviction.
Oh yes.

Originally Posted by Robert2 View Post
Well Cameron, who I consider should have faced at least disciplinary proceedings, is dead.

Michael Chamberlain guilty of being an accessory after the fact back in '82. The police couldn't fit him into their timeline for the supposed murder.

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
*Yawn* Wendy Harmer, the comic in the article, is also a woman.
Just Ignore JJ.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 07:55 AM   #31
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Mod Warning A number of off-topic posts about "woman-hating" have been split to AAH. If you want to start a topic about that, you may, but I don't think these posts would make an auspicious beginning, as they're already starting to get uncivil.
Posted By:Tricky
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 09:13 AM   #32
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

no control

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Describing the forensics as "flawed" is, in my opinion, overly charitable; they were rubbish. The police failed to take control samples (which would have shown that one of their tests was utterly flawed) and destroyed samples, thus ensuring that their tests could not be examined properly.
Then there's the behaviour of James Cameron............
In my opinion (again) the destruction of the samples and plates used in testing denied the defense the ability to properly cross-examine the scientific evidence and should have lead to it being deemed inadmissible
catsmate,

I was probably being overly charitable. At least one of the state's witnesses implied that the ortho-tolidine presumptive test for blood could not yield false positives. Some of the positive results were in parts of the car which were not accessible unless one removed panels. These areas should have been considered substrate controls, IMO. When a substrate control* is positive, it should signal people that something is not as it seems. Ms. Kuhl's hemoglobin F tests were (from what I can gather) just something that she devised on her own, as opposed to being something that was in the scientific literature. I agree that the destruction of the plates was bad practice. I would also add that the hemoglobin F tests were done 13 months after the Azaria's death. I have doubts that hemoglobin would not denature after that time and under extremes of temperature.

*Peter Gill wrote about substrate controls in a different context, "The original concept of the substrate control was to test for spurious reactions with environmental contaminants such as vegetable extracts..."

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 13th June 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 09:24 AM   #33
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

No, they're a protected native species, but can be controlled in certain areas, such as around sheep farms and the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo#Legal_status
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 09:47 AM   #34
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

Let's all meet back here in thirty years to rehash this case. There should be some new evidence by then.
"...wing collars are like an ocular violation."-TubbaBlubba
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 10:04 AM   #35
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
Let's all meet back here in thirty years to rehash this case. There should be some new evidence by then.
I hope I'm still around to do so. Doubtful.
Old 13th June 2012, 05:20 PM   #36
JihadJane
not a camel

'From Fairy to Witch: Imagery and Myth in the Azaria case.' (1984)

***She was a beautiful little girl, so natural - a little fairy (Mrs E M Waterhouse of Whakatane, New Zealand, referring to Lindy Chamberlain, Daily Telegraph, November 1, 1983.)

"I feel that I am the victim of a medieval witch-hunt (Lindy Chamberlain, Woman's Day, October 1, 1980.)

Azaria and Lindy Chamberlain have slowly been absorbed into Australian folklore, their tragedy told and retold until it no longer stirs so strongly the surges of disquiet and morbid fascination. They have become a nation's obsession, producing prodigious newspaper copy and endless legal speculation as well as a particular genre of jokes and graffiti. According to Sanders, the case was surrounded by 'an incontinent excessive discourse that subverted the official attempts at closure' ... . The imagery which informed the public discourse was peppered with potent allusions to creatures and moods of other times and other places long past. The spectre of Lindy as witch was rarely articulated, yet the notion percolated just beneath the constantly informing the imagery which pervaded the discussion. The discussion surrounding the case clearly illustrates just how deeply the figure of the witch has permeated our cultural forms. The para*phernalia of witchcraft pervades our humour, our art, our literature, our mythologies and our history. The witch 'has come to be seen as both a scapegoat and saviour, a figure of fun and a figure of menace, a model for women and a cautionary antimodel' ... . As a symbol of female freedom, power and sexuality, the witch also represents and reminds women of the potential brutal retribution which the exercise of this freedom, power and sexuality can bring.

A patriarchal social order such as ours depends for its very existence on hordes of 'perfect little mothers' assigned responsibility for the biological and social reproduction of the species. Lindy, by even raising the possibility of having killed her child, like many women before her, struck at one of the pivots of patriarchy, as did the medieval witches who used their female magical power to defy the laws of nature in the service of Satan (Bovenschen, 1978:97). Every woman was a potential witch. Lindy, in so many ways, crystallised the particular fears and passions inherent in motherhood today: defending one's child from the enemy within the nuclear family as well as the enemy without.
"Jealousy makes you think the same thing over and over and the more you do that, the less reality-testing you do. Emotions all have an illusion of certainty, and jealousy makes you certain of your perception of the world.”
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2012, 06:12 PM   #37
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

reforms

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush View Post
One good reason to rehash an old, high-profile case is to use it as impetus for reforms. I see the same mistakes (forensic and otherwise) in more recent cases. Sadly, I don't perceive much zeal for desirable changes in our criminal justice systems.
Old 14th June 2012, 06:13 AM   #38
catsmate
No longer the 1

catsmate,

I was probably being overly charitable. At least one of the state's witnesses implied that the ortho-tolidine presumptive test for blood could not yield false positives.
I'd have to check but I think this was Kuhl's supervisor and he didn't just imply this.

Some of the positive results were in parts of the car which were not accessible unless one removed panels. These areas should have been considered substrate controls, IMO.
True. Plus there's the issue of false positives from copper dust, which wasn't tested for at all.

When a substrate control* is positive, it should signal people that something is not as it seems. Ms. Kuhl's hemoglobin F tests were (from what I can gather) just something that she devised on her own, as opposed to being something that was in the scientific literature.
I *believe* that the manufacturer later stated definitively that the test wasn't suitable for determination of foetal blood.

I agree that the destruction of the plates was bad practice.
I'd go further and say that it should have caused the forensic evidence to be excluded as it ruled out any chance of independent tests.

I would also add that the hemoglobin F tests were done 13 months after the Azaria's death. I have doubts that hemoglobin would not denature after that time and under extremes of temperature.
Agreed. And this is something Kuhl admitted she had no experience with.

*Peter Gill wrote about substrate controls in a different context, "The original concept of the substrate control was to test for spurious reactions with environmental contaminants such as vegetable extracts..."
Orthotolidine was also shown to react with copper, later testing around the Chamberlain's home (and in other cars from the area) showed extensive copper contamination and reacted positively with the test.
The alleged "spray of blood" from which the swabs were taken turned out to be a common sound-dampening treatment used on that model of car; examination of other cars found nearly identical spray patterns.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2012, 09:40 AM   #39
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by George152 View Post
The 'law' gets fixated upon a certain person and will go to any lengths to produce evidence to convict while hiding or even destroying evidence that may be proof of evidence innocence (presumably?)..

This. We see it in case after case after case. And yet still there are judges who will believe any rubbish the police present, and seem convinced that nobody would be charged unless they were guilty.

We see it in other threads in this forum, where rational explanations of why a police investigation became misdirected and went hell-for-leather after an innocent person and sought to minimise or excuse the culpability of others are howled down as "conspiracy theories".

There is a deep-seated cancer at the heart of criminal investigation in many countries, something the Americans call the "Chicago cop syndrome". I don't know what can be done about it. I do think it would be a significant advance if people stopped this "no smoke without fire" approach and held all police accusations to reasonable standards of critical thinking.

Rolfe.
Old 14th June 2012, 03:53 PM   #40
Antony
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
This. We see it in case after case after case. And yet still there are judges who will believe any rubbish the police present, and seem convinced that nobody would be charged unless they were guilty.

We see it in other threads in this forum, where rational explanations of why a police investigation became misdirected and went hell-for-leather after an innocent person and sought to minimise or excuse the culpability of others are howled down as "conspiracy theories".

There is a deep-seated cancer at the heart of criminal investigation in many countries, something the Americans call the "Chicago cop syndrome". I don't know what can be done about it. I do think it would be a significant advance if people stopped this "no smoke without fire" approach and held all police accusations to reasonable standards of critical thinking.

Rolfe.
Agree whole-heartedly. It's hard to see what can be done about it as long as decision-makers fail (or choose not) to recognise that it's happening; it's a bit easier to suggest what they would do if there was real commitment to cure the problem: it would be a start to make police and judges accountable for their mistakes. Instead of that, there continues to be the incentive to "achieve" a conviction - rather than establish the truth - and getting it wrong doesn't seem to be a consideration.

What is more of a puzzle and perhaps more distressing is how it seems so easy for convictions based on faulty and frankly dishonest investigations, to gain support among the general public.
Antony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors