ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Aaron Hernandez , murder cases

Old 9th March 2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Aaron Hernandez 2nd Murder Trial - Kooky Witness

I've been watching recordings of the current Aaron Hernandez double homicide trial, trying to get myself caught up. I am currently watching testimony from three days ago. In this video, a street sweeper for the city of Boston is being questioned. The jury is not present.

The witness is obviously hostile. He is extremely fidgety and mumbles during much of his testimony. He acts almost as if he is on drugs (I'm not saying he is on drugs). If I was one of the prosecuting attorneys, I would be flummoxed as to how I might handle this witness in the presence of the jury, or if I would call him before the jury at all.

Specifically, how should the prosecutors handle this witness? Should he be put on the stand in front of the jury? Any thoughts? What would you do? In general, how should attorneys handle hostile witnesses?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2017, 05:53 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So much for "The Patriot Way".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 08:49 AM   #3
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So much for "The Patriot Way".
Yeah, because the Patriots should have been able to tell the future and know he was going to start murdering people. Shucks, since it's so easy I'm surprised anyone ever murders anybody -- just gaze into the crystal ball and stop them!

And before tossing out that overworn meme "But they knew he was a former gangbanger in college!" so beloved of haters, take a look at any NFL team (or pretty much any professional sports team anywhere) and try to find a single roster that doesn't have a shady past or ten among its players.

(I guess now that the so-called "gates" have been so completely and utterly debunked, all the haters have left to throw anymore is Hernandez. I'm sure he'll be great consolation as they endure another Patriot playoff run this year...and next...and next...)

Last edited by Stellafane; 12th March 2017 at 08:50 AM.
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 10:03 AM   #4
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I don't think the prosecutors really need to worry about handling this witness. The defense calling him, I believe would only bolster their case in the eyes of the jury in the same way Shayanna Jenkins did in his first trial. The consensus after the case was she simply wasn't believable, I think they will view him the same way.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I don't think the prosecutors really need to worry about handling this witness. The defense calling him, I believe would only bolster their case in the eyes of the jury in the same way Shayanna Jenkins did in his first trial. The consensus after the case was she simply wasn't believable, I think they will view him the same way.
I realize the scope of this thread is narrow, perhaps too narrow. If people want to talk about more than just this witness, please feel free. Let's open it up to include the rest of the trial, no problem. That being said, it would be nice to steer away from football and the Patriots, if possible, and focus more on the evilness and trial of this serial killer.

I've watched many high-profile murder cases and can't remember a witness quite like the one linked in the OP. I was intrigued. He has a real problem with authority figures. He feels disrespected by the police, the prosecutors, the judge, and other court officials. He seems really put out by having to appear and offer testimony. His body language and fidgetiness also clearly demonstrate his hostility. He did seem much more receptive to Jose Baez. I was curious how others perceived his court demeanor and how it might impact a jury, thus this thread.

Also, this guy has one of the thickest Boston accents I've ever heard. At times, he is really tough to understand. If you want a lesson in northeast coastal dialects, this guy is your man.

DGM, I expect Baez will let this guy rail on in front of the jury. It sounds like your take on it is the jury won't believe him and therefore the prosecutor won't need to do much to impeach his accusations of police harassment.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 12th March 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Dumb All Over

It is looking more and more like the kooky witness will take the stand in front of the jury after all. Currently, one of the main detectives is on the stand and is being cross-examined by Baez. Baez is asking him about the kooky witness. The detective will be one of the final witnesses for the prosecution. I feel the prosecution is close to resting. My guess is the kooky guy will be one of the first witnesses called by the defense. We might hear from the kooky guy as early as this afternoon.

As it turns out, there have been many "kooky" witnesses in this trial. The guys travelling in the car with Hernandez and Bradley when Bradley was shot in the face by Hernandez in Florida are real gems. They were granted immunity for their truthful testimony, but their testimony was anything but forthright and truthful, in my opinion. And then there is Shayanna Jenkins who was, much like her performance in the Odin Lloyd trial, less than forthright in this trial.

There is little doubt in my mind that Hernandez is guilty of killing the two gentlemen in Boston. However, this is a tougher case than the Odin Lloyd case and I believe the chances of convicting Hernandez in this current case stand at 50/50.
Old 1st April 2017, 08:14 PM   #7
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Dumb All Over,

I am very interested in high profile murder cases too.
Do you have any suggestions about what to read or watch about Hernandez and
his trial?

I seem to remember a documentary I watched, but it is a distant memory now.

Thank you.
Old 1st April 2017, 08:19 PM   #8
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

After watching just a few minutes of the Boston streetsweeper, I want some drugs.
Something calming, like xanax.
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:20 AM   #9
Dumb All Over

snoop_doxie, other than the trial itself, I don't recall much worth watching. The first trial where he was found guilty of killing Odin Lloyd was very, very interesting. Even though the evidence was by and large circumstantial, it was strong and convincing enough to convict him. It also opened the door to try him for the double homicide in the current trial.

If you have lots of extra time then I would suggest watching the first trial. It is long, though. The fun bits are the video evidence and the testimony of his fiancée, Shayanna.
Old 2nd April 2017, 06:46 PM   #10
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Thank you, I will check them out. Lots of trial testimony when I looked up the you tube on the street sweeper.
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:20 AM   #11
Dumb All Over

Kooky street sweeper guy just took the stand, called by the defense...

ETA - Well, that was quite a different performance than what we saw in the video from the OP. Just goes to show how important witness prep can be. McMaster cleaned up his act. He sported a new haircut and was not as outwardly hostile this time around. This time he was only slightly kooky.

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 3rd April 2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 15th April 2017, 08:31 AM   #12
Dumb All Over

Aaron Hernandez did it. He really did.

But yesterday, the jury found him not guilty of the double homicide.

Nevertheless, he will remain in prison for the rest of his life for murdering Odin Lloyd.
Old 16th April 2017, 04:37 PM   #13
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Nevertheless, he will remain in prison for the rest of his life for murdering Odin Lloyd.
I may have spoken too soon. Jose Baez seems to think Aaron Hernandez can win an appeal of the original conviction. Mr. Baez sounds like he is up to the challenge if hired by Hernandez.

Story here.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:55 AM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN reports that Hernandez has committed suicide in prison.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:21 AM   #15
Whip
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
CNN reports that Hernandez has committed suicide in prison.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...NVJ/story.html

kinda bizarre he went through with the second trial if this was his intention.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 04:37 AM   #16
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
He certainly did that...
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 08:12 AM   #17
Dumb All Over

Wow, just wow.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:15 AM   #18
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I'm not sure how long he's going to hang around.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:16 AM   #19
Dumb All Over

Maybe this is the revenge Alexander Bradley had in mind all along.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:30 PM   #20
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I figure it was a reaction to Jose Baez's bill..............

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 12:47 PM   #21
Dumb All Over

Aaron Hernandez was murdered by a serial killer.
Old 19th April 2017, 12:52 PM   #22
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Well, he is now basically innocent of the first murder too, under Mass law. Since he died before he could appeal it, the state will vacate that conviction.

Wiki and lots of other sources:
Quote:
In the state of Massachusetts, Hernandez technically died an innocent man due to the legal principle of abatement ab initio, where if a person dies and has not exhausted all legal appeals, the case reverts to its status at the beginning; so the person becomes innocent. Hernandez had an appeal pending for his 2014 conviction in the murder of Odin Lloyd.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 19th April 2017 at 12:54 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 01:00 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the inevitable conspiracy theories start....

http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/0...mitted-suicide

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 03:36 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

DailyMail reports that before hanging himself, he wrote the John 3:16 verse on his forehead in red marker and also smoked synthetic marijuana (K2). A bible in his cell was opened to that verse. Unconfirmed.
Old 19th April 2017, 04:34 PM   #25
Dumb All Over

DailyMail reports that before hanging himself, he wrote the John 3:16 verse on his forehead in red marker and also smoked synthetic marijuana (K2). A bible in his cell was opened to that verse. Unconfirmed.
Interesting. I wonder where he got the idea from.

Old 19th April 2017, 06:38 PM   #26
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Another young black man destroyed by the system.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2017, 07:02 PM   #27
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Anyone think I might have been accidental?

There's some weird fascination with auto-eroticism involving asphyxiation.

No first-hand knowledge - at the Police Academy we had a rep from the Medical Examiners office show us some slides of accidental deaths from such things gone wrong.

Just a thought.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:11 PM   #28
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Anyone think I might have been accidental?

There's some weird fascination with auto-eroticism involving asphyxiation.

No first-hand knowledge - at the Police Academy we had a rep from the Medical Examiners office show us some slides of accidental deaths from such things gone wrong.

Just a thought.
That would depend on whether the facility had female guards. Any exposure is disciplined, so not worth the risk as I understand it.

Here is a true story of the dangers inherent in this exercise.

After tying him up, she left Plumley-Walker alone in the room of the makeshift bondage and discipline chamber for about 20 minutes while she and her then boyfriend, Neville Walker, had a coffee and cigarette.

When she returned, he was unconscious.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10605252
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 01:52 AM   #29
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, he is now basically innocent of the first murder too, under Mass law. Since he died before he could appeal it, the state will vacate that conviction.

Wiki and lots of other sources:
You know, if I knew I was guilty, but was aware of that tidbit, and had nothing to lose, then to make it far more harder for civil lawsuit against me, I would probably do the same. Any civil lawsuit cannot now use the guilty verdict.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 04:32 AM   #30
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Well, he is now basically innocent of the first murder too, under Mass law.
Well, it would be more accurate to say, "Not Guilty".

"Innocent" is not a verdict our court system is designed to render.

It makes sense that if one has not been adjudicated guilty, or has not exhausted all appeals, that "not guilty" might be a logical result upon the defendant's demise.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 20th April 2017 at 05:50 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 05:15 AM   #31
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Which means the real killer is still out there.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2017, 12:44 PM   #32
FenerFan
Master Poster

Rolling Stone did quite a good piece about Hernandez back in 2013. Good reading if you're interested in this case.

http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/...-in-the-huddle
Old 20th April 2017, 04:13 PM   #33
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I see his "defense team" looking at a new cash cow:

http://whdh.com/news/aaron-hernandez...es-to-science/

The NFL didn't recognize his poor clients brain injury?

Old 20th April 2017, 05:24 PM   #34
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Rolling Stone did quite a good piece about Hernandez back in 2013. Good reading if you're interested in this case.

http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/...-in-the-huddle
Thanks for that ripping yarn FenerFan.
It pretty well covers the history.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors