ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 16th May 2019, 02:39 AM   #1241
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Bob Hawke has just died.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6reQacUcAAhn7O.jpg (81.0 KB, 5 views)
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 04:13 AM   #1242
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Bob Hawke has just died.
One of the last of the political larrikins.

And that's the end of an amazingly interesting era in Australian politics. Not necessarily the best era, but certainly one of the most interesting.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 05:58 AM   #1243
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He and Keating were the best leadership team Australia has seen. (Psion, your disagreement is noted).

Bob, you were a source of inspiration and optimism.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 06:26 AM   #1244
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Tony Abbot’s immediate press release on Bob Hawke’s passing showed what a 24 carat pissant he is. It will make my evening if he loses his seat.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:53 AM   #1245
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
(Psion, your disagreement is noted).
Placing Bob Hawke and Paul Keating in the same category is a massive insult to Bob Hawke's memory.
Old 16th May 2019, 08:00 AM   #1246
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Tony Abbot’s immediate press release on Bob Hawke’s passing showed what a 24 carat pissant he is. It will make my evening if he loses his seat.
Agreed.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 01:57 PM   #1247
Thor 2
Illuminator

Certainly didn't seem to win any hearts with it. Almost exclusively negative responses to his tweet I read.
Old 16th May 2019, 03:26 PM   #1248
Thor 2
Illuminator

Just reading the list of political parties in Australia today. There are 54 in the list published by the ABC!

Some of the parties are obscure single issue ones like the "Help End Marijuana Prohibition Party". As I was reading the list I wouldn't have been surprised to see something like the "Winos Party", (I could go for this one.).

The names of the parties are deceptive. For example there is the "Love Australia or Leave Party", which I assumed would have a white anglo tone, with an agenda to tell different cultures or coloureds, to piss off back to where they came from.

I was mistaken however as they have the following listed as the planks of their platform:

- Preservation of democracy in Australia
- Freedom of Speech
- Maintenance of a defence force .....

Can't see how the party name implies this.

Pleased to see a "Secular Party" listed with an agenda to get the religious out of schools and such. I might join this one.

Last edited by Thor 2; 16th May 2019 at 03:27 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 04:50 PM   #1249
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Careful about the Sustainable Australia party - they're anti-immigration racists. And the Health Australia party - they're anti-vaxers.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:08 PM   #1250
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
Streem, a media monitoring company, has taken a look at the top 10 words used by Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten during the campaign.

And if you needed any further proof that the Coalition has based its campaign around Labor, take a look at the top four words used by both Morrison and Shorten.

Morrison: Shorten:

Labor Labor

Government Government

People People

Australia Australia

Australians Tax

Shorten Australians

Economy Change

Bill Want

Party Cost

Australian Morrison

Streem also found that Morrison was 71% more likely to mention the opposing party in his speeches and press conferences.
Usual source.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:34 PM   #1251
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Careful about the Sustainable Australia party - they're anti-immigration racists. And the Health Australia party - they're anti-vaxers.

Yes I can see the anti-vaxer angle in the "Health Australia Party" "Who Are They" decription but the anti-immigration angle in the "Sustainable Australia Party" is a bit hidden.

I just joined the "Secular Party of Australia". These look like my kind of people.
Old 16th May 2019, 05:51 PM   #1252
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Say what you will, he's laser-focused.

Quote:
Tony Abbott has been pressed on his original statement on Bob Hawke’s passing – where he seemed to want the Liberals to take credit for his prime ministerial achievements by saying he had a “Labor heart”, but a “Liberal head”.

That statement was widely condemned, coming as it did, just hours after the news broke Hawke had passed. But Abbott had his talking points for today and he wasn’t going off-script. Asked four times if he regrets his statement, Abbott gave the same line.

“I’m just going to focus on campaigning, if that’s OK,” Abbott said as he left his office.

Question: Would you respond to the claims that you used that statement as political point-scoring?

Abbott: Look, uh, he was a wonderful prime minister. And he is rightly mourned by everyone today.

Question: (Would you reword what you said?)

Abbott: Look, as I said, he was a really good prime minister. I think he was the best Labor prime minister ever.

Question: You wouldn’t change anything about the statement?

Abbott: He was the best Labor prime minister ever. And the challenge for all of us is to be worthy of the greats of the past. And that’s what I certainly hope to do.

Question: So, you don’t want to make any further comment on the statement?

Abbott: As I said, he was a great prime minister.

Question: Was it appropriate, though? Was it an appropriate comment?

Abbott: Look, Bob Hawke was a great prime minister, no doubt about that. I think he was the best Labor prime minister ever.

Question: But the partisan nature of your initial comments has been criticised. Do you stand by them?

Abbott: I think that he was the best Labor prime minister ever, and I think we were very lucky to have him.

Question: Are you worried today is going to be your final day as member for Warringah?

Abbott: Look, I’m doing my best to make sure that this is just another election, in a long public life.
Do I really need to say "usual source" again?
Old 16th May 2019, 06:16 PM   #1253
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Just reading the list of political parties in Australia today. There are 54 in the list published by the ABC!

What we really need is a Monster Raving Loonie Party.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 06:21 PM   #1254
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

Norm
Bring back the Sun-Dried Warm Tomatoes Party, I say.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:26 PM   #1255
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

This is the text of Tony Abbott's statement:
Quote:
Bob Hawke was a great prime minister.

In my judgment, he was Labor’s greatest prime minister. But his key achievements — financial deregulation, tariffs cuts, and the beginnings of privatisation — went against the Labor grain, as Labor’s more recent policy direction shows. You might almost say he had a Labor heart, but a Liberal head. Certainly, the Coalition supported nearly all of his big reforms, helping to make his tenure a time of economic revitalisation.

All Australians should mourn someone who changed our country for the better, because he was always prepared to argue his case, even if it meant first persuading key people on his own side.
https://www.news.com.au/national/pol...DdK3-CuPBFO2tc

Apart from the tasteless inclusion of politics in this eulogy, it is not the worst thing that Abbott has said. At the time, the Hawke government was often jokingly referred to in the media as the best Liberal government Australia ever had.

That said, Abbott was clearly one of Australia's worst PMs and I hope he loses his seat at the election.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:29 PM   #1256
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No, it's not the worst thing he's said. But was still a pretty awful thing to say.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:09 PM   #1257
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
.<snip> At the time, the Hawke government was often jokingly referred to in the media as the best Liberal government Australia ever had.

That said, Abbott was clearly one of Australia's worst PMs and I hope he loses his seat at the election.
That is because the Liberal Party is actually a conservative party. I suggest the biggest swing against the Liberal Party, in any one seat, will be against Abbott.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:09 PM   #1258
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
This is the text of Tony Abbott's statement:

https://www.news.com.au/national/pol...DdK3-CuPBFO2tc

Apart from the tasteless inclusion of politics in this eulogy, it is not the worst thing that Abbott has said. At the time, the Hawke government was often jokingly referred to in the media as the best Liberal government Australia ever had.

He would be trying pretty hard to make it the worst thing he said. I guess his inability to read the room or always be playing politics is a reason why he was so unpopular and got knifed by his own party.

His Tweeted press release had a notably bad comment to like ratio.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:27 PM   #1259
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
That is because the Liberal Party is actually a conservative party. I suggest the biggest swing against the Liberal Party, in any one seat, will be against Abbott.
Steggall is hardly the pinko enviro-nazi that the Abbott election krewe and Murdoch press are painting her as. She is, in fact, a barrister and has pretty conservative policies. She has already stated that she will be aligning with the Liberals on most matters. So she is the sort of intelligent conservative member the Libs should really be seeking, not the knuckle-dragging bible-humping tosspot, Abbott.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2019, 08:22 PM   #1260
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We've finally got some more information.

Morrison knew in 2016 of Australia's resettlement of Rwandans accused of killings

Quote:
The national security committee of cabinet was briefed about all aspects of the American refugee swap deal in late 2016, including the resettlement of two Rwandan men accused of murdering tourists in Uganda.

Guardian Australian understands the NSC was briefed, and the then treasurer, Scott Morrison, the home affairs minister, Peter Dutton, and the foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, were aware of all the elements of the agreement signed by Malcolm Turnbull and Barack Obama in 2016.

The advice from the US was the two men did not pose a security risk to Australians.

Leonidas Bimenyimana and Gregoire Nyaminani, as well as a third Rwandan man, had confessed to their involvement in the 1999 murder of eight tourists – four Britons, two Americans and two New Zealanders – on a gorilla-watching trip in the Ugandan rainforests. The trio were sent to the US to face trial for the murder of the two US victims, with prosecutors seeking the death penalty.

However, a district court judge dismissed the case in 2003, finding that the men’s confessions were the only evidence against them and had been obtained through torture.

The men then claimed they could not be returned to Rwanda because they would be persecuted, and they remained incarcerated and in limbo in the US until Bimenyimana and Nyaminani were sent to Australia.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:38 PM   #1261
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Steggall is hardly the pinko enviro-nazi that the Abbott election krewe and Murdoch press are painting her as. She is, in fact, a barrister and has pretty conservative policies. She has already stated that she will be aligning with the Liberals on most matters. So she is the sort of intelligent conservative member the Libs should really be seeking, not the knuckle-dragging bible-humping tosspot, Abbott.

Don't hold back now Norman, you tell it how it is.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:42 PM   #1262
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

Norm

We have a few of them already - in disguise.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:47 PM   #1263
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I’m worried that pre-voting has been favouring the LNP. In the past, postal votes favoured the coalition because mainly the well heeled would be away on hols. With the massive numbers pre-voting, it should be absolutely reflective of the final vote.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 02:13 PM   #1264
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Will be getting dressed shortly. Go for a bit of a walk. Feed, coffee, a walk, a vote, maybe a democracy sausage or cake.

May the scumbag candidates in your electorate be disappointed today.
Old 17th May 2019, 02:23 PM   #1265
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I’m worried that pre-voting has been favouring the LNP. In the past, postal votes favoured the coalition because mainly the well heeled would be away on hols. With the massive numbers pre-voting, it should be absolutely reflective of the final vote.
I can't see it, unless Aussie bookies have suddenly turned christian and decided to give all their money away.

With LNP paying $5-75 on the morning of the election, you can take it to the bank that Shorten will be PM-elect by ~10 pm tonight.

Aside from bookies doing their homework, you could bet your last dollar that LNP counters would be trampling each other to get to the front of the queue.

I've already got the champers cooling down - it's a long time since we had two actual democratic socialists on opposite sides of the ditch. Helen Clark was more National-lite than socialist, unlike Jacinda. Also, both she and Bill are very geared to their emotions, which is a good thing in politics in the 21st century, I think.
Old 17th May 2019, 02:30 PM   #1266
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Is that the way bookies work though? And I am genuinely unsure. Is not any concept of likelyhood ultimately outsourced to the wisdom of the crowd (the punters) and balanced by decreasing declared payouts? The have to formulate the opening price but it flies on its own after that.

Still looks like a fair predictor in a case where the punters have involvement in the outcome.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 17th May 2019 at 02:32 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 05:47 PM   #1267
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yay.

I've voted, and returned home from the grocery store with a lot of election night nibbles.

I think I'll pop out again later and buy some beer.

It was suggested at work that I should buy a bottle of schnapps and down a shot every time a hated minister loses his seat.

(I'm prepared to down two for Dutton)

Some times the commercial stations run animations every time a sitting member loses their seat. (I can recall rockets, and ejector seats...)

Is it too much to hope that there'll be a flushing animation this year?
Old 17th May 2019, 07:09 PM   #1268
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Is that the way bookies work though? And I am genuinely unsure. Is not any concept of likelyhood ultimately outsourced to the wisdom of the crowd (the punters) and balanced by decreasing declared payouts? The have to formulate the opening price but it flies on its own after that.

Still looks like a fair predictor in a case where the punters have involvement in the outcome.
That’s correct. The punters set the odds here, not the bookies

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th May 2019, 09:12 PM   #1269
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

That’s correct. The punters set the odds here, not the bookies
The odds (or the price you win) indicate the majority of betters believe that the Labor party will win the election. The alternative view is that a large number of people who will lose if the Labor party win are betting big for the Labor party. That way they cannot lose. Either the Labor party wins and so they win their bet or the Liberals win and they gain from that.
Old 17th May 2019, 10:23 PM   #1270
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Voted early. Wow, that senate paper was long enough to sleep under in the park! But I numbered all above the line, to put the scumbag parties like UAP, Anning and Poorlene at the end. Nullifies any party-preference deals.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:06 PM   #1271
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Voted early. Wow, that senate paper was long enough to sleep under in the park! But I numbered all above the line, to put the scumbag parties like UAP, Anning and Poorlene at the end. Nullifies any party-preference deals.
Did the same.
Old 18th May 2019, 01:17 AM   #1272
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Likewise. Screw reactionary boomer parties.
Old 18th May 2019, 02:24 AM   #1273
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Not a good start. Feeling salty.
Old 18th May 2019, 02:25 AM   #1274
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Not looking good at all for Labor.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:31 AM   #1275
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Still hope and not yet time to go watch kitten and doggo videos on YouTube.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:08 AM   #1276
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It looks like Abbot's gone.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:12 AM   #1277
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Pretty nice as far as consolation prizes go.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:21 AM   #1278
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If only I had put a big bet on the LNP retaining government. I would now be rich.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:56 AM   #1279
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The ALP can’t win. This will kill their chances for a decade. Know why? Because the hard boys in the ALP will decide matching policies of the LNP is wrong and the party has to move further to the left. Albo will be put in charge, which will be a disaster, and the resurgent left will bask in ideological purity, while remaining an anchor on the unelectable ALP.

Can’t beat ******* Morrison? **** me.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 18th May 2019, 04:08 AM   #1280
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The ALP can’t win. This will kill their chances for a decade. Know why? Because the hard boys in the ALP will decide matching policies of the LNP is wrong and the party has to move further to the left. Albo will be put in charge, which will be a disaster, and the resurgent left will bask in ideological purity, while remaining an anchor on the unelectable ALP.

Can’t beat ******* Morrison? **** me.
There is no point in the Labour Party being liberal lite.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics