ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Closed Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 06:55 AM   #3361
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
How would you expect your "real world solutions" to make racism go away if you refuse to analyze where racism comes from?
Don't do that. Don't pretend that "I'm gonna sit here and hangwring until a perfect solution is spoon feed to me" is the same thing as "Just looking the mechanics of the problem we're trying to solve."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:08 AM   #3362
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah you did. Right here:
I regard racial segregation in American history as an attempt by the ruling class to pit two parts of the working class against each other so as to ensure their own continued rule. Divide et impera.

That's a conspiracy.
No it isn't. What do you think happened here, that capitalists and slave-owners all got together in a room to conspire together? Of course that's not what happened, what happened is that most of the individual capitalists and slave-owners were faced with the same problem - namely uprisings by the people they ruled - and most of them came up with similar solutions. This, the fact that they all came up with similar solutions, reinforced said solution so as to lead to a structuring of society at large along racial lines. Your understanding of historical processes is simplistic to the point of being cartoonesque.

Quote:
Took you long enough.
No it was just a 3 second google search.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:09 AM   #3363
Belz...
Fiend God

No it isn't. What do you think happened here, that capitalists and slave-owners all got together in a room to conspire together?
That's not required for a conspiracy.

Quote:
Your understanding of historical processes is simplistic to the point of being cartoonesque.
Meanwhile, yours is insupported.

Quote:
No it was just a 3 second google search.
So what's your excuse, then?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:14 AM   #3364
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Don't do that. Don't pretend that "I'm gonna sit here and hangwring until a perfect solution is spoon feed to me" is the same thing as "Just looking the mechanics of the problem we're trying to solve."
Yet it is. Again, how would you expect to come up with a solution to a problem if you refuse to analyze where said problem comes from?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:21 AM   #3365
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The category "other" is not a sex. The sex of an individual is the role played by that individual in sexual reproduction (hence "sex" as in "sexual reproduction"). For mammals, among which humans, there are only two roles an individual can play in sexual reproduction, namely provider of sperm (called the male sex) or provider of ovum (called the female sex). Those who don't produce either sperm or ova do not have a sex (they don't play any role in sexual reproduction). In other words, there are two sexes and some people who don't have a sex, sex is binary.
If there are more than two answers to what is your sex, it isn't binary, for your answer it is sterile, male or female. That is 3 categories not 2.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:24 AM   #3366
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
That changed dramatically with the industrial revolution.

"In the 1840s, in Lancashire alone, a survey of 412 cotton factories found that just over half of the 116,300 workers were female. Around 10,700 of them were married women.
By 1873, over 26 per cent of women working in cotton mills nationally were married, three quarters of whom were of childbearing age. "

From A (Working) Woman's Place
But this is working class females not women of respectable classes.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:26 AM   #3367
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's not required for a conspiracy.
Of course it is. A conspiracy at the very least requires the purported conspirators to have communicated and engaged in a certain plot through said communication.

Quote:
Meanwhile, yours is insupported.
ref

Originally Posted by Du Bois
The race element was emphasized in order that property-holders could get the support of the majority of white laborers and make it more possible to exploit Negro labor. But the race philosophy came as a new and terrible thing to make labor unity or labor class-consciousness impossible. So long as the Southern white laborers could be induced to prefer poverty to equality with the Negro, just so long was a labor movement in the South made impossible.
Originally Posted by Belz
So what's your excuse, then?
For someone who complains about "having to explain that water is wet" it seems pretty funny for you to demand sources to show you that water is wet (in this case that Victorian era ideology promoted the notion that women should stay at home).
Old 17th June 2019, 07:29 AM   #3368
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
If there are more than two answers to what is your sex, it isn't binary, for your answer it is sterile, male or female. That is 3 categories not 2.
Only two of which are sexes, hence sex is a binary.
Old 17th June 2019, 07:30 AM   #3369
Belz...
Fiend God

Of course it is. A conspiracy at the very least requires the purported conspirators to have communicated and engaged in a certain plot through said communication.
I mean it doesn't require them to meet in a smoke-filled room.

Quote:
ref
Sounds like I was right: they just didn't want the black folk to integrate. Good old racism.

Racism exists, by the way, before you ask.

Quote:
For someone who complains about "having to explain that water is wet" it seems pretty funny for you to demand sources to show you that water is wet (in this case that Victorian era ideology promoted the notion that women should stay at home).
1920s is not Victorian times, nor was the Victorian age American, for instance. I'm sure you think asking you to demonstrate your claim is amusing because it's not something you're used to having to do. I get that, I'm lazy too.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:31 AM   #3370
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
"Sterile" isn't a sex.

Old 17th June 2019, 09:21 PM   #3371
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Mod InfoThread closed for length. You may continue the discussion here. You may quote freely from this thread in the continuation.
Posted By:Loss Leader

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events